• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Code:
For those wondering about Season Pass, I just got a reply from YS Net: (tl:dr - backers won't get content in pre-orders/deluxe edition, including the season pass)

Dear Antonio,

We apologize for the long delay in responding. Your feedback is appreciated and we will look into having your noted points in future updates.

Standard and deluxe versions released through retail sales are not affiliated with the crowdfunding campaign, so will not be included with backer pledges, however, they will be available for sale separately. Kickstarter Backers will receive the Kickstarter version, Slacker Backers will receive the Slacker Backer version. Both have unique content respective to their versions not available in the retail versions.

A season pass is not included.

Trial version release date info has yet to be confirmed and will be announced in the updates when details are available. You will be receiving your trial trial version, but we must ask for your patience for a little longer.

There will be more information following in the days ahead concerning updates.

Sincerely,

The Shenmue III Team

-Ysnet promises Steam keys as far back as beginning of June 2019. Few days later EGS exclusivity.
-Ysnet promises that all the game data will be on the disc. - Few weeks later "Only EGS.exe on the disc"
-Now backers who backed the game for hundreds of euros wont even get a season pass.

Now while the season pass was announced at E3 and not part of the KS, following KS projects such stuff usually gets incluced for all backers, because they believed in the project and were there for the first hour. Kickstarter backers showed Ysnet that there is interest in the game and even got Deep Silver involved.
There wasnt even talk about a season pass in all the backer updates.

This feels like a big middle finger to backers all over again.

Edit: Preorder bonuses are:

• The "Blazing Kick" Advanced Technique Scroll
  • Kenpogi Training outfit
  • Peking Power Starter Pack* (this set can be downloaded only once per account)

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Imagine telling people that crowdfunded your game with pledges up to $1000 that if they want the preorder bonus they should buy another copy.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Epic and/or Deep Silver are willing to fund a Shenmue 4, because Kickstarter route is probably dead for YSNet at this point. Inafune all over again, but even bigger.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see what the problem is. I backed it and dont feel entitled to ever little thing.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked they aren't making it a bonus for folks that take the egs version, surely tim can pony up some more goodwill cash.

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
Honestly, if the season pass wasn't part of the pitch or the original production scope, then I don't see that much of a problem with not including it. It is a season pass after all, and not just some small DLC items.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not getting the season pass is dumb (for folks that bought one of the more expensive versions), but I can at least make sense out of that.

Not giving them the preorder bonuses though? What are you doing?

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Forget the deluxe edition, what are the regular preorder bonuses that the Kickstarter backers will not get?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
It was always a given that backers won't get the season pass that wasn't mentioned at all in the Kickstarter and wasn't announced until years later when the game went up for pre-order. It would have been nice but it seems odd to hold it against them. It's clearly an incentive from the publisher Deep Silver to make money. As much as it sucks backers aren't entitled to future content that wasn't included in the Kickstarter I really don't understand the issue here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it seems like honoring pre-order bonuses shouldn't be such a hard issue to solve, but im just a dog

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Deep Silver is about that money, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Now while the season pass was announced at E3 and not part of the KS, following KS projects such stuff usually gets incluced for all backers, because they believed in the project and were there for the first hour. Kickstarter backers showed Ysnet that there is interest in the game and even got Deep Silver involved.
There wasnt even talk about a season pass in all the backer updates.

Still a bit mad Battletech did the same thing.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this has turned into a monkey paw situation.
And why in the hell does this game even have a season pass? What will they even add? This shit doesn't fit Shenmue.

I wish Sega would just take over this mess and fix it...

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I spent over $250 on this Kickstarter, the ultimate pre-order, and that's not enough for me to get the pre-order DLC? I feel even more resolute now in no longer backing games on Kickstarter.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly at this point I'm more curious to see what the tone and expectations around kick-starting and crowdsourcing will be.

I definitely sympathise with people who gave a significant amount of money towards the project with the expectation of some kind of token gesture of gratitude. But since this wasn't promised I think the best you can expect is a thank you and if that's not enough just get a refund.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It was always a given that backers won't get the season pass that wasn't mentioned at all in the Kickstarter and wasn't announced until years later when the game went up for pre-order. It would have been nice but it seems odd to hold it against them. It's clearly an incentive from the publisher Deep Silver to make money. As much as it sucks backers aren't entitled to future content that wasn't included in the Kickstarter I really don't understand the issue here.
Do you really not see the problem with people who paid for the game to be made in the first place to not get pre-order content?

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I think by now they are trying to fuck over backers as much as possible since Epic are footing the refund bill

master15

Nov 28, 2017

Exactly, another sensational thread in hopes of bad mouthing the game but most of us that backed the game k ew we wouldn't be entitled to season pass. I'm okay with this and plan to support the title in hopes of future Shenmue games.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see what the problem is. I backed it and dont feel entitled to ever little thing.

Yeah, I dont see the problem either. We should be glad we're getting the game at all and they're not running with money. They're doing a service to us already.

In all seriousness, I can understand not getting the season pass even if that move by itself is greedy af.

No pre-order bonuses though ? Fuckin lol.

Seriously, I love Shenmue. But ffs, do they know how to run a campaign ?
Sure, technically, we're not entitled to that. We're not entitled to respect either.

But do you know what other successful Kickstarters did ? They gave that kind of stuff for free to their backers.

Hat in Time backers ? They got all DLCs for free.
Shovel Knight backers ? All new content for free.
Hollow Knight backers ? Well they're getting the sequel for free.

You know what fuckin Oculus did ? Not only they delivered the DK1 to their backers but they also delivered them what wasn't promised in the campaign: A fuckin free 700 dollars Oculus Rift CV1. Backers were only promised a prototype, they got both the prototype and the retail version, which costs money to make and ship.

Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.

It's called GREEDINESS.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I spent a lot of money on the Kickstarter and this doesn't bother me at all. A season pass wasn't part of the campaign.

Why some people are looking for any reason possible to put down Shenmue III is beyond me, and the negativity is becoming toxic.

I can't wait to just enjoy the game.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
At least to people that backed the more expensive steps they should have included the preorder bonus... :\
Thats the only thing that looks bad.
Everything else its ok, the Season Pass was never mentioned to be part of it, etc...

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watch as some people justify that move by the fact that YSNet needs money to fund Shenmue 4 (after getting money from at least 4 different sources).

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of money on the Kickstarter and this doesn't bother me at all. A season pass wasn't part of the campaign.

Why some people are looking for any reason possible to put down Shenmue III is beyond me, and the negativity is becoming toxic.

I can't wait to just enjoy the game.

I have been very positive about Shenmue 3 from the beginning. I however find being asked to buy the game again if I want the pre-order DLC utterly insufferable given I pledged ~$250 all those years ago already.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Wasn't the kickstarter goal for a digital copy like $30?

Imagine paying half price for the game and complaining about not getting the season pass included.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I pledged my $100 years ago the AUD was above the USD but now the dollerydoo is in the toilet, if I get a refund I get almost double my money back.

I can't wait to cancel!

Jun 14, 2019
Imagine begging ur fans years ago at a e3 conference to pre fund your game and you piss all over them at every second you seemingly can imagine

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Lmao this fuckin game. I am sincerely sad for fans. God thank you my favorite old franchise didnt return shit like this. (Crash bandicoot)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the kickstarter goal for a digital copy like $30?

Imagine paying half price for the game and complaining about not getting the season pass included.

Imagine paying 500$ for the game and not getting files on disc, no pre-order bonus, no Season Pass, no Steam key and on top of that you get message that if you want pre-order bonuses you should go and buy game again.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this.
I've waited nearly 20 years for this game, jumped on the kickstarter as soon as I could and pledged $100.
I'll be getting the refund as soon as I can and will just buy it on CDKeys.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a bizarre decision; it's not so much that backers should feel entitled to a season pass, but it strikes me as a really simple thing to give to backers as a gesture of goodwill in the midst of a run of uncomfortable news. Even at the very least giving it to backers who pledged at a level equivalent to Game + Season Pass; you really don't want your backers concluding that they get more of what they actually wanted for significantly less money if they cancelled and repurchased.

I suppose there's an underlying question about what exactly the season pass entails, of course, because if we're looking at anything that could be construed as a continuation of the story, I can absolutely understand backers being frustrated by that.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: inappropriate comment
Anyone defending this got some serious battered wife syndrome. This is not okay.

Everything about this Kickstarter has been a complete and utter mess.