• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
That makes zero sense. Backing the development was the ultimate preorder, especially those that paid at least the full price of the game. >_<

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get people who say that this wasn't promised in the campaign and sure that's right but kickstarting is not a business transaction, it's an act of faith. So when the developer starts pointing out the 't's and 'c's and talking about who is entitled to what, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I gave you my money in trust and in expectation and you're going to treat me like a chump for doing so? Certainly doesn't make me want to do this again.

Oct 30, 2017
Pfft you didn't read the fine print, did you? Haven't you heard? The fine print absolves all.

Yes sarcasm and I agree with you.
There was no fine print. The DLC was simply never offered or discussed at any point during the Kickstarter or Slacker Backer campaign. Feel free to petition them for it and get Jim Sterling to make a video about it, but people on here are just creating a controversy for the sake of controversy.

Are some of you seriously suggesting until you read this thread, you assumed you were automatically receiving this preorder content? Preorder content most of you didn't even know existed or what it consisted of?

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If people want to refund over 1 move (literally, like a kick or punch, just like the move scrolls in Shenmue I + II) and 1 extra jacket (purely aesthetic), then more power to you. We don't even know yet if they may simply be unlockable in the game, and if you pledged over a certain amount, you are receiving backer exclusive moves and outfits (can't wait to see people complain about that after launch).

If you pledged 30 to get the game (that will cost $60 on shelves) and are complaining about this, then I think you simply don't have a leg to stand on.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
If people want to refund over 1 move (literally, like a kick or punch, just like the move scrolls in Shenmue I + II) and 1 extra jacket (purely aesthetic), then more power to you. We don't even know yet if they may simply be unlockable in the game, and if you pledged over a certain amount, you are receiving backer exclusive moves and outfits (can't wait to see people complain about that after launch).

If you pledged 30 to get the game (that will cost $60 on shelves) and are complaining about this, then I think you simply don't have a leg to stand on.
I am willing to bet that the preorder "blazing kick" move is a early unlock.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine pledging one thousand motherfucking dollars and still not getting access to everything on this damn game.

Fuck YSNet and fuck Deep Silver.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
You all should be fighting for refunds and doing charge backs.

I didnt invest because I had a friend get screwed by another game.....and this just further confirms it for me.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hadn't played Shenmu before but was intrigued by the posts here....

The way this Kickstarter has since been handled and the way they've been treating the people who literately gave them paychecks to be able to bring their franchise back, is appalling to me. I won't be supporting these people at all and they won't get a cent from me.

I sincerely hope that there fans send them a message with their wallets. I know it's something a lot of you have been waiting on, but that team needs to feel the backlash and so does Epic. At least to make them (Epic) think twice about jumping aboard and making them change everything about previous commitment made.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt expecting to get season pass stuff, but preorder shit should be a given. Anyone defending that are your typical shenmue-avatar accounts that do 24/7 pr spin for shitty practices about why the backer is lucky at all to be getting anything. AKA people you should ignore.

Jan 21, 2019
Unpopular opinion: Kickstarter money should go into making a great game, not a basket of goodies be it digital of physical. This culture of overpromising on stretchgoals just to get people hyped is not sustainable. I'd rather know that every cent of my money goes into the game and not plastic figurines and dlc swords.

Oct 27, 2017
There was no fine print. The DLC was simply never offered or discussed at any point during the Kickstarter or Slacker Backer campaign. Feel free to petition them for it and get Jim Sterling to make a video about it, but people on here are just creating a controversy for the sake of controversy.

Are some of you seriously suggesting until you read this thread, you assumed you were automatically receiving this preorder content? Preorder content most of you didn't even know existed or what it consisted of?
The thing is that 1k USD backers are not getting the 'deluxe' content. Whatever the Deluxe contents are, one would think that, in a gesture of goodwill, they will include that. Its 1k USD. That's beyond every other Deluxe edition in existence.

After Sony, KS, Deep Silver and Epic paychecks, if they're still losing money, then I don't what's going on overthere.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
People feel entitled to get everything for free, why exactly should you get a season pass without paying money for it? It wasn't part of the Kickstarter sales pitch. Anything above the price of the actual game you paid on the Kickstarter was a donation and for physical swag...

Now the minor preorder DLC I could see an actual argument for. You are buying the base game via Kickstarter just like everyone else and it was a very early preorder....

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I dont see what the problem is. I backed it and dont feel entitled to ever little thing.

this is kinda me - i went in heavy for the art book, i dig the mirrors but those weren't promised at the time. shame to miss out cause i'm not gonna double dip, but despite all their fuckups early on, i'm not really mad at them about this.

Jun 12, 2018
I spent a large amount of cash on the KS, easily over 1k, but I'm not somehow magically entitled to stuff that was announced after the campaign. That's not how the world works. :/

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't said anything but I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if they didn't deliver. I imagine we should start hearing about those within the next 2-3 months. They may not make it for launch, similar to other Kickstarters, but I'm confident we will receive them.
You're too generous. Just observe this KS that delivered the physical reward one year after the digital release.

I backed $200 for this KS and the one year wait is not great.

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
RIP Shenmue.

We backers made possible to find a publisher. We helped them to crash the Kickstarter records, our work, our word of mouth is worth millions of classic PR. We showed the industry there's interest. We are entitled to the full experience dammit.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Unless there was a tier I'm unaware of that includes it, the season pass/post-launch content is not something backers were promised or are legally entitled to.
But it would've been a decent gesture, especially considering the context of Deep Silver/Ys Net/Epic screwing us. But Deep Silver is mainly interested in maximizing revenue and trying to avoid any responsibility.

The pre-order stuff is surely some trivial garbage like usual, so I don't think I care, but not including that for backers seems actively petty.
Another trait of Deep Silver, I guess.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion: Kickstarter money should go into making a great game, not a basket of goodies be it digital of physical. This culture of overpromising on stretchgoals just to get people hyped is not sustainable. I'd rather know that every cent of my money goes into the game and not plastic figurines and dlc swords.
Good luck getting many people pay a single cent more. Based on Update 103, i know that many $60 PC physical backers are happy that PS4 backers get a physical copy.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I backed at $60 for a physical PS4 copy, which only promises the game in an "exclusive case." So among all the different types of backers, I feel the least like I'm getting screwed over. Season Pass is an extra cost over what I paid anyway. As for the preorder bonuses (technique scroll, training outfit, power starter pack), seems like something they could at least send out codes for, treat backers like preorders, at least. Though it's not something I care about enough to think "I would've been better off not backing."

It does seems silly not to include the "Deluxe" content (season pass) for those who backed at/above those price levels ($65 PC digital, $75 PS4 digital), since it wasn't even offered as part of the available backer tiers. I can see why people who backed at higher tiers are kind of pissed.

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: hostility
Wasnt expecting to get season pass stuff, but preorder shit should be a given. Anyone defending that are your typical shenmue-avatar accounts that do 24/7 pr spin for shitty practices about why the backer is lucky at all to be getting anything. AKA people you should ignore.
Well fuck you too, buddy. My opinion is no less valid than yours. You can choose to view it in whichever way you'd ike.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I personally don't think the outrage around not getting the season pass is justified - it was not announced previously and never promised. However what is an absolute joke is that people who kickstarted are not getting the pre-order bonuses because I mean like really - the people who first bought into the game and essentially pre-ordered are not entitled to those bonuses because... reasons?

Oct 28, 2017
What do I get for my $60 ps4 pledge? (Outside of the game) Anything at all that is not included in the retail game?

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I sincerely hope that there fans send them a message with their wallets. I know it's something a lot of you have been waiting on, but that team needs to feel the backlash and so does Epic. At least to make them (Epic) think twice about jumping aboard and making them change everything about previous commitment made.

Well, you put the right words there. I would be really amazed at a fan for whom the marketing strategies of some store or publisher that popped up a couple months ago mattered more to a fan than the 18 years he/she has had to wait on a cliffhanger for the continuation of the game.

Or that someone who spends 1,000 or 10,000$ to make development possible will suddenly turn its back to the game because he/she has to spend 49$ more to get some figurine or in-game jacket.

Of course they are things that can be annoying, or mishandled, or even unfair. But let's put things into perspective.

Oct 28, 2017
The case. No offense but that's written in the Kickstarter day one.

Non taken. Whatever monkeypaw wish that brought Shenmue 3 to fruition 5 years ago is 100% fine with me. I never once kickstarted anything and I never will again. I didnt even look at the rewards, I just wanted this game to happen. Exclusive case? Cool beans, I just wanna kick Lan Di's ass across South China is all.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hadn't played Shenmu before but was intrigued by the posts here....

The way this Kickstarter has since been handled and the way they've been treating the people who literately gave them paychecks to be able to bring their franchise back, is appalling to me. I won't be supporting these people at all and they won't get a cent from me.

I don't think this particular issue has anything to do with Epic. This is all Ys net and their publisher's doing. Go on stage and cry for money than fuck ppl over when they got their money. Pathetic.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You're not gonna get a refund for DLC they never promised backers lol

Your best bet is the other more egregious offenses, saying you want a refund because you didn't get this stuff would be...very odd

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm out, as soon as I can refund the game, I'm done with the project. Wonder how much from my $300 I'll get back.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I waited long for shenmue 3, really long. I'll wait two more years for the complete game of the year edition.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The just can't seem to stop themselves from pissing on their hardcore fans. I am now curious to see how it plays out when the game releases.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Shenmue.

We backers made possible to find a publisher. We helped them to crash the Kickstarter records, our work, our word of mouth is worth millions of classic PR. We showed the industry there's interest. We are entitled to the full experience dammit.

So just to be clear, if I backed at $60 or bought the game at retail that didn't include the backer only skins and moves available at higher tiers I also wouldn't be getting "the full experience" going by your logic right? This makes no sense lmao.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking clownshoes. Yu and his crew are starting to look like real pieces of shit right now. Should have stayed retired and saved everyone the money and headaches. Jesus christ

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

For $260 I assumed i would get the complete game yes. The fact that I don't get the post launch content but people who didn't blindly back the game in 2015 do is a complete kick in the ass.

Just look at any other kickstarter not run by morons.

Spikey

Banned
Jan 28, 2018
So just to be clear, if I backed at $60 or bought the game at retail that didn't include the backer only skins and moves available at higher tiers I also wouldn't be getting "the full experience" going by your logic right? This makes no sense lmao.
High-tier backers well above a shabby 60 Dollars are absolutely entitled. Should have been a bit more precise though.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Everything about this Kickstarter has been a complete and utter mess.

It was fine. It's when Deep Silver got involved that everything went down the drain. Publishers generally do everything they can to make more profit (understandably), but Deep Silver is renowned for always going one step further every damn time. I don't think Yu Suzuki or anyone at YS Net had any idea what they got themselves into when they signed this deal two years ago.

The only little solace I take on this situation is that other indies will think twice before signing up any deal with Deep Silver. Fuck them.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking clownshoes. Yu and his crew are starting to look like real pieces of shit right now. Should have stayed retired and saved everyone the money and headaches. Jesus christ

Yeah, fuck Yu Suzuki, the 61 year old piece of shit who came out of comfortable retirement to spend 4 years working non-stop to develop one of the most requested games of the last 15 - 20 years just for fans. Which is turning out great by the way going by impressions and actual game updates. What a scumbag he is.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Just a reminder that I was promised this:

EYykZrG.png

Yet peeps at E3 have played it and journalists have but I still haven't gotten my hands on it.

Yeah, fuck Yu Suzuki, the 61 year old piece of shit who came out of comfortable retirement to spend 4 years working non-stop to develop one of the most requested game of the last 15 years just for fans. What a scumbag he is.

Yeah they've shown they really care about the fans haven't they.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, fuck Yu Suzuki, the 61 year old piece of shit who came out of comfortable retirement to spend 4 years working non-stop to develop one of the most requested games of the last 15 - 20 years just for fans. Which is turning out great by the way going by impressions and actual game updates. What a scumbag he is.
He made the decision to sign up with Deep Silver who continue to fuck over backers, so he's at fault as much as they are and that really shows how much they care about kickstarter backers and the fans.

I wouldn't even bother with those people. No sense of perspective. As for this thread all entitlement.
LMAO, entitlement is thinking that backers should roll over and take whatever they are given.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even bother with those people. No sense of perspective. As for this thread all entitlement. Once you do a ks everybody wants everything and the kitchen sink and even when it was not listed in the ks. Even when its outside of Yu's hands when a publisher jumped in and made the scope of the game bigger.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I guess I'm not a real fan because I won't pre-order a second copy after spending 100 on this back in 2015.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

Hey he is the one that begged fans for money then hung them out to dry when a fat wad of cash was thrown before him. I don't care about how old the dude is or what he has made, it doesn't absolve him from screwing over backers. So yes, fuck this dude.