• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Feels like this was backed by a hype train rather than fans. Shenmue fans have always been so humble and passionate and now we're finally seeing the third game and it looks like an amazing evolution of what Shenmue 1 and 2 were and all these threads end up with is bitching and moaning. Refunds? We're getting Shenmue 3 after over 15 god damn years. We dreamed and we begged for 15 years and thanks to the passion of the fans and Yu Suzuki it finally got made. They could switch my copy to a hypothetical 3DS version and I'd still be positively thrilled to play this. It's like people don't even care about the game. I genuinely do not get the pettiness.

Deep Silver? Amazing! More funds to make the game. Epic Games? Maybe this deal can help bring in some millions for Shenmue 4 too?! Keep bringing in the funds, YS. For the sake of Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 4. That's the way I see it. It's a franchise that has struggled immensely to get funded and people whine about how they go about it. Money does not grow on trees.
I think this is the disconnect.

It is terrible to be fucked around with by a corporation, but some of us are so blinded by our devotion and interest in the third game we don't really care or can accept this trade-off because we're getting something we desire. I guess that reflects poorly on many of us, but we all make ethical sacrifices living in this horrible society we have to be a part of, and I just can't turn my back on a game I've wanted desperately for over half of my life. Many of us here support games that were developed by companies that force crunch culture on their developers, etc...

I can totally understand why Yu Suzuki/Ys Net inked the deals they did. They clearly thought they could make a fuller game than they could've with the money they raised on Kickstarter. They claim they were able to really strengthen the scope of the game thanks to these investments and showed us some tangible proof in the last Kickstarter update.

All bets were off when they debuted their Kickstarter on Sony's stage anyway. The stories surrounding the Kickstarter were already very negative and critical of Ys Net/Sony when that happened; many suggested Sony was just using Kickstarter to test the waters for Shenmue 3. Looks like those stories were fairly correct, except it was more of a weather balloon for other investors and publishers to step in. I'm still not sure what Sony got from that E3 presentation. B

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the franchise will die with 3 after all these antics.

Either way there are a lot of people that will get PC refunds for a completely valid reason. They don't do business with the Epic store. I'm sure the real fans will play on PS4 if they don't wish to go the PC route after the bait and switch. I know my backer level included both PC and PS4 so I'm eager to get that PC money back.
I don't think it's obvious at all. I think they determined they were going to go all in on releasing the game with a publisher who probably expressed interest in carrying a new franchise with a somewhat dependable fanbase. There was no way they'd raise another $6+ million off another Kickstarter. They were never gonna debut the fourth game on Sony's E3 stage or build the same kind of hype a sequel that was 18 years in the making would generate.

This Kickstarter/crowdfunding fuckery isn't going to dent sales. You think most gamers pay attention to this stuff? If the game sucks, that'll dent sales.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giving away silly preorder bonuses to the backers after their EGS fuckery is one of those easy 'gimme's' a competent group of people would take advantage of to at least try and shore up some of the good will they destroyed with the people that backed them , but them just fucking that up further proves ill intent on all involved. Let alone its been standard kickstarter practice for years.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this was backed by a hype train rather than fans. Shenmue fans have always been so humble and passionate and now we're finally seeing the third game and it looks like an amazing evolution of what Shenmue 1 and 2 were and all these threads end up with is bitching and moaning. Refunds? We're getting Shenmue 3 after over 15 god damn years. We dreamed and we begged for 15 years and thanks to the passion of the fans and Yu Suzuki it finally got made. They could switch my copy to a hypothetical 3DS version and I'd still be positively thrilled to play this. It's like people don't even care about the game. I genuinely do not get the pettiness.

Deep Silver? Amazing! More funds to make the game. Epic Games? Maybe this deal can help bring in some millions for Shenmue 4 too?! Keep bringing in the funds, YS. For the sake of Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 4. That's the way I see it. It's a franchise that has struggled immensely to get funded and people whine about how they go about it. Money does not grow on trees.
This is some crazy rubbish. Who are you to say people who are unhappy aren't "fans". I've been waiting for Shenmue 3 ever since 2001 when I completed Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, that doesn't somehow mean I drop all my principles and will blindly defend anything a company will do in the name of money so I get said game.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Why should I give a shit about refunds if Epic is covering it?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Those 7 millions on Kickstarter didn't grow on trees indeed.

Oct 30, 2017
This is some crazy rubbish. Who are you to say people who are unhappy aren't "fans". I've been waiting for Shenmue 3 ever since 2001 when I completed Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, that doesn't somehow mean I drop all my principles and will blindly defend anything a company will do in the name of money so I get said game.
Do you think you'll purchase the game if it turns out to be a good Shenmue game?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This Kickstarter/crowdfunding fuckery isn't going to dent sales. You think most gamers pay attention to this stuff? If the game sucks, that'll dent sales.
Most gamers won't pay attention to all the details but the name "Shenmue" is currently tainted, especially in the combination with Deep Silver and the EGS. Those 3 names are surrounded by a constant huge wave of negativity because it feels like one of those 3 create a new shitstorm each day.

People don't have to pay attention to the details of why something is tainted. But the "average gamer" will surely notice if something got a bad reputation.

Edit: I forgot that THQ Nordic is also involved. You get all 4 big names that are starting shitstorms on a daily basis combined.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017

I think fans should be more understanding about a franchise that has been struggling for over 15 years to get funding trying to ensure future funding through deals. If you interpret these deals as companies walking all over you then that's different than my view. I see it as something they do to ensure funding for better games for Shenmue fans and more future games.

People who pledged the physical PC version I can totally understand not being satisfied but everything else feels petty compared to the game we waited two generations for finally being made. I do not get how the game by a miracle is being made can not be the important thing. Instead people are fighting about pre-order bonuses, platforms and season passes.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I think fans should be more understanding about a franchise that has been struggling for over 15 years to get funding trying to ensure future funding through deals. If you interpret these deals as companies walking all over you then that's different than my view. I see it as something they do to ensure funding for better games for Shenmue fans and more future games.

People who pledged the physical PC version I can totally understand not being satisfied but everything else feels petty compared to the game we waited two generations for finally being made. I do not get how the game by a miracle is being made can not be the important thing. Instead people are fighting about pre-order bonuses, platforms and season passes.
I mean if you read the thread its more than just people complaining about pre-order bonuses or season passes. I wish people would stop looking at this issue in a vacuum as if nothing prior happened.

I'm not against a kickstarter going to a publisher honestly. If they need more funding, fine. My problem is, and has always been how they've treated backers in recent days.

Deep Silver made the deal to EGS while not giving two damns about the backers when they signed away the game to EGS. They can't even play the ignorance card, they saw first hand what happened when they did it with Metro previously. I specifically selected Steam, and was happy with getting a Steam key. I'm not very happy with being cattle to be sold out to Epic in an attempt to force people to use their poorly featured store. I'm especially not happy because I do actually care about a physical disk, as I do still have a disk drive unlike many PC users, and my internet isn't the fastest. During E3 it became fairly apparent they lied about the trial too, "Be the first to play Shenmue 3 anywhere" they say, right thats why all the press played it.. Then, after all of that, they couldn't even be bothered to throw a bone to said unhappy backers by adding some measily pre-order bonus?

While yes, the trial thing, and the pre-order issue etc alone wouldn't be too much of annoyance in a vacuum, but that's not how this transpired. These issues happened back to back, and it's not hard to see why people are getting irritated when you add all of them together.

Oct 30, 2017
Most gamers won't pay attention to all the details but the name "Shenmue" is currently tainted, especially in the combination with Deep Silver and the EGS. Those 3 names are surrounded by a constant huge wave of negativity because it feels like one of those 3 create a new shitstorm each day.

People don't have to pay attention to the details of why something is tainted. But the "average gamer" will surely notice if something got a bad reputation.

Edit: I forgot that THQ Nordic is also involved. You get all 4 big names that are starting shitstorms on a daily basis combined.
I was just curious what you plan on doing when the games comes out. You're obviously a fan (great avatar), but obviously on the other side of the argument.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I hope they do switch your copy to a 3DS version.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Is the pre-order stuff THAT good?

Not like they promised it to backers anyway
(Before you say anything, yes i backed this)

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

I did not know being a fan meant you had to have no scruples left. What a load of tosh.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not know being a fan meant you had to have no scruples left. What a load of tosh.
Basically this. I've wanted Shenmue III as much as others, and I put a disproportionately large amount of cash relative to my income at the time into getting the game Kickstarted, but getting upset over the way YsNet and Deep Silver are taking fans for granted with their bullshit apparently means I'm "not a true fan".

And it's sad, because as far as I can see it, a once unified and rather positive (if sometimes over-passionate) Shenmue fan community has been ripped in two because of the bullshit, with one half using the "no true Scotsman" argument on the other.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing worse than Deep Silver's contempt for backers are the dorks tripping over themselves to defend this petty money grabbing.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

I am a shenmue fan through and through and love shenmue to death but that doesnt mean I have to be a worthless obediant consumer now does it? Don't mix up humbleness with that dude.

Why would you even wanna ignore the cause whilst putting blame on the outcome. Maybe there's better ways they could have handled it? Focus on that.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that EGS money was worth it. Coz the PR Backlash sure as hell wasn't. Literally every little thing is being picked apart. Stuff like this is just w/e in other Kickstarters yet here we have a 14 page thread about it.

The only thing worse than Deep Silver's contempt for backers are the dorks tripping over themselves to defend this petty money grabbing.

Dorks eh ? add one more to the list.

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, guys, after re-reading the original post, where does Ys Net's response say backers aren't receiving DLC? All I see is backers are not receiving retail copies of the game and if they want one, they'll need to buy it from somewhere else.

Standard and deluxe versions released through retail sales are not affiliated with the crowdfunding campaign, so will not be included with backer pledges, however, they will be available for sale separately. Kickstarter Backers will receive the Kickstarter version, Slacker Backers will receive the Slacker Backer version. Both have unique content respective to their versions not available in the retail versions.

Did we just have a 14-page firestorm over something they didn't actually say? I swear I'm not being disingenuous. I actually don't see anything in here that says "You are not receiving DLC or bonus content." What I see is someone made a post on the Kickstarter, jumped to conclusions, and now we have a new bad press cycle for this game.

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Read a few articles that stated that backers won't get the season pass for free as a negative towards S3. My mind is blown that backers expected to get it free.

Oct 30, 2017
The reply does say backers will not get the season pass.

It does not say anywhere they won't receive any Day 1 DLC.

That would be an accurate 'story.' so I am now marking this thread misleading until proven otherwise. I have a message in to Ys Net.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible. Like it's their job or something. Something that should be obvious to everyone is getting PR spun to heck and back every which way as to why it isnt a negative thing. And im talking about the preorder dlc, not really the season pass, although hey, giving that away would go a long way toward that good willl that companies keep forgetting about.

Oct 30, 2017
It's incredible that it took someone (me) 14 pages to realize Ys Net's response doesn't actually say what the thread is premised on. I blame myself for not actually reading what their response says and letting the original post decide that for me.

And people will ignore me because why not?

Ta-da.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
It's incredible that it took someone (me) 14 pages to realize Ys Net's response doesn't actually say what the thread is premised on. I blame myself for not actually reading what their response says and letting the original post decide that for me.

And people will ignore me because why not?

Ta-da.
People will ignore you because the letter says what the thread is premised on, try reading it again. I DO agree to an extent that it could be a clueless customer service rep and not a true policy, however that theory has been thrown out there already.

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't say ANYTHING about DLC. Please show me where they address DLC? It simply says if you want to buy a retail or special edition of the game, you need to buy it somewhere else. Since I have no idea what the question that was sent to them says, I can't draw the conclusion the question explicitly mentioned DLC.

I also know from prior experience they are really bad at providing anything beyond very basic answers to questions.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
That's where you need to go to the store page, to see that it says Preorder digitally to receive bonus content. The email specifically says season pass is not included, and it specifically says that the retail regular edition is available for sale separately. Thus we can deduce that what the thread says is in fact accurate based on the information currently available.

Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't address DLC content beyond the season pass. Please tell me where it says "you will not receive bonus content?" It simply says the person who contacted them is not receiving a retail version of the game or a season pass. I encourage you and others to contact them to clarify, but I think this thread based on a Kickstarter comment was premature after re-reading the message.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
You're free to feel that way but I have already addressed the logic behind the conclusion, there's nothing more that needs to be said. I do agree that clarification would be helpful, however.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Oh sweet, my bonafides as a Shenmue fan are being questioned because I refuse to let them exercise primae noctis.

The deal for me and many others is that Epic games represents a real and credible threat to PC gaming as we know and love it. By taking the Epic deal they basically asked me what I value more: my single, most wanted game or all of PC gaming.

As much as I love Shenmue -- and I bought an Xbox for it and would have bought dedicated hardware for it even now -- PC gaming as a platform is more important to me. Tim Sweeney's Faustian bargain forced my hand.

This is why it isn't just another launcher to me and this is why I wanted my money back.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
How have people backed it for free? If someone is a backer, then they have paid for the development of Shenmue 3.

But no backers paid for the Season Pass. The backers paid for the game to have a chance of existing. That's what should matter in this situation, the game actually existing against all odds.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But no backers paid for the Season Pass. The backers paid for the game to have a chance of existing. That's what should matter in this situation, the game actually existing against all odds.
Because Ys Net chose not to tell people there would be a season pass when they launched the kickstarter, and didn't even offer it as a reward.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Because Ys Net chose not to tell people there would be a season pass when they launched the kickstarter, and didn't even offer it as a reward.

That's because it wasn't a part of their budget at the time. Now that they have a publisher they are able to create more content on the base game, and create the season pass.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When both the developer and publisher are showing such contempt for the fans and backers of the game they are making says enough about it. I have lost any faith in the game because of their actions.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That argument has popped up a few times and it's honestly not particularly compelling if we consider the fact that the sole arbiter of what Shenmue III and Shenmue III DLC is is Deep Sil... YSNet. There is no breakdown of what the "full game" was supposed to be, so all we have to go on is their word. If you trust it, more power to you, but not everybody will be as keen to do so given recent events.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The preorder shit is like nothing. Which should have been offered for free for backers who aren't refunding as a sign of good will. That would be the good PR move.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's because it wasn't a part of their budget at the time. Now that they have a publisher they are able to create more content on the base game, and create the season pass.
And if they cared about backers, when they were negotiating with their publisher, they would have said "now that we are doing a season pass, can we give our biggest fans and the people that made this game possible the season pass at no extra charge (perhaps only at higher reward tiers), since these are the people that made the game possible in the first place, and we didn't offer them a season pass reward tier".

But it's obvious at this point that fulfilling their obligation (AND I DO NOT MEAN LEGAL OBLIGATION I UNDERSTAND HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS) to backers is clearly an inconvenience to Ys Net, and they want to do the absolute bare minimum.

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that this needs to be explained. The game was 29 dollars on ks too and the project is way bigger now once deep silver stepped in with funds.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Can you still claim a refund?
Remember that Epic is covering the costs, so you don't even have to feel bad about it.

I spent a lot of money on the Kickstarter and this doesn't bother me at all. A season pass wasn't part of the campaign.
Why some people are looking for any reason possible to put down Shenmue III is beyond me, and the negativity is becoming toxic.
I can't wait to just enjoy the game.
Shenmue fans willing to defend or ignore all actions from Ys Net just because they want to play the game are the ones being toxic.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
And if they cared about backers, when they were negotiating with their publisher, they would have said "now that we are doing a season pass, can we give out biggest fans and the people that made this game possible the season pass at no extra charge (perhaps only at higher reward tiers), since these are the people that made the game possible in the first place, and we didn't offer them a season pass reward tier".

But it's obvious at this point that fulfilling their obligation (AND I DO NOT MEAN LEGAL OBLIGATION I UNDERSTAND HOW KICKSTARTER WORKS) to backers is clearly an inconvenience to Ys Net, and they want to do the absolute bare minimum.

How is planning on releasing a game with even more content than originally promised the bare minimum?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that this needs to be explained. The game was 29 dollars on ks too and the project is way bigger now once deep silver stepped in with funds.
Nothing needs to be explained especially to posters like you who don't seem to get it but sure want to defend ys net and deep silver.

And if they cared about backers, when they were negotiating with their publisher, they would have said "now that we are doing a season pass, can we give our biggest fans and the people that made this game possible the season pass at no extra charge (perhaps only at higher reward tiers), since these are the people that made the game possible in the first place, and we didn't offer them a season pass reward tier".

exactly

Oct 30, 2017
So now that we've established their communication mentions nothing about DLC, what are we arguing about? Aren't there a dozen other Shenmue Kickstarter threads?