• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I maintain there will be more of this happening, not less, if/when/as Epic continues to grow.

I also believe consumers will be better for it in the end. As good as Steam is as a service, until very recently they've effectively had a monopoly on the PC marketplace. Competition is good, even if you don't like the competition.

Ironically EGS is much more monopolistic than Steam by making exclusivity agreements.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I also believe consumers will be better for it in the end. As good as Steam is as a service, until very recently they've effectively had a monopoly on the PC marketplace. Competition is good, even if you don't like the competition.
Jesus Christ. We're back to this again.

No wonder all of the clocks in my house have been running backwards.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Every developer that wants to start Kickstarter should go and ask Epic for money first from now on.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That is exactly the point though. The implication is that Steam have designed pricing options in this way to push developers into using their own regional pricing matrix and adjustments (which sometimes results in some regions garnering considerably less revenue for the devs). If it didn't sometimes result in far less revenue, I doubt they'd be complaining.
And what does Valve get if they "maliciously" design the regional pricing so that devs get less revenueß Less revenue for the dev is less revenue for Valve.

With the current system (as of the article), devs wanting a flat revenue rate across the board would essentially need to invest a lot of extra time, effort, constant visibility and editing/amendments etc to achieve as much. They're essentially complaining that Steam should not only make the latter easier for them, but also that they ought to explain the regional pricing differences better, which I think is perfectly fair.

Dev: "how do we get noticed in this overcrowded marketplace?"
Answer: "You have to put effort in it, you have to engage with your potential customers, etc."
Dev: "Yeah fuck that, that's too much hassle, I want free exposure." "Also Valve is evil, if they would drop their cut to 10%, I would make 10 bucks more with my 20 sales, with 30% I can't make another game, but if it was only 10%, those 20 sales could support another game.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if i backed PC i get an EGS key at launch and then a steam key a year later? Or do i have to choose one or the other?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad its COSTING EPIC to refund the backers because fuck them for getting in the middle in the first place. It does not make Tim a good or reasonable person he should have done this shit DAY 1. I feel so much for those that have been excited and passionate enough to back the Kickstarter to want a DRM free PC disk copy and now they not only won't get the disk with the game on it they are still forced to use EGS or get their money back and not play it.

What a shit show.

Tim 100% has more of this lined up.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I would stop backing any games on KS that promote Steam as platform. KS turns out to be success and generate a lot hype also now come with rising risk of Timmy swooping in with checkbook to joink title for exclusivity. Especially with that follow up tweet of his about how in future when they poach KS titles like this they right from the bat will work out refund plans.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that people's hatred for Steam has completely blinded them to the irony of backing Epic because you hate monopolies.

I'm sure the company that forces developers to release solely on their platform has good intentions and would never abuse their power if they ever because the premier gaming service.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

u628hBI.png

Oct 30, 2017
Can we not compare Tim Sweeney to fucking Trump please. Be angry at Epic all you want but nothing that Sweeney has done even comes close to what a monster Trump is.
It is scary how quick people are to demonize people they dislike. The world isn't quite so black and white, yet sometimes I forget on ye olde Internet.

I'm glad its COSTING EPIC to refund the backers because fuck them for getting in the middle in the first place. It does not make Tim a good or reasonable person he should have done this shit DAY 1. I feel so much for those that have been excited and passionate enough to back the Kickstarter to want a DRM free PC disk copy and now they not only won't get the disk with the game on it they are still forced to use EGS or get their money back and not play it.

What a shit show.

He certainly does. He said as much on the threaded tweet about how they're basically insuring Ys Net against losing any money.

Oct 30, 2017
It's amazing that people's hatred for Steam has completely blinded them to the irony of backing Epic because you hate monopolies.

I'm sure the company that forces developers to release solely on their platform has good intentions and would never abuse their power if they ever because the premier gaming service.
How many people in these threads are defending Epic? I get that the Shenmue Fan Club kind of, sort of is, but I really think it's a big straw man that there's a huge group of Epic supporters out there. It sounds like journalists are spreading this message for some reason, which obviously should raise eyebrows. I think people either tolerate Epic or absolutely hate Epic. There doesn't seem to be much of a loyal group of Epic Game Store folks.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
"I want this Kickstarter to be successful, but not too successful, because then Epic will come in and fuck everything up."
- PC game Backers

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's been interesting watching the death of Kickstarter unfold in real time. Good going, Shenmue team.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You said "don't trust/listen to him on other subjects" while also not specifying what those subjects were. How am I supposed to take any meaning from that other than "Schreier is now only good for his investigations" at its most charitable? It's not my job to play guesswork at what your intentionally vague wording means.

Not specifiying what other subjects are? How about the very one we're discussing here? It's not vague, and it's not that difficult.

You don't have to play anything, or do anything. If you don't want to, stop responding to my posts.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
It is scary how quick people are to demonize people they dislike. The world isn't quite so black and white, yet sometimes I forget on ye olde Internet.

He certainly does. He said as much on the threaded tweet about how they're basically insuring Ys Net against losing any money.

I don't particularly blame Ys Net for taking the money from EPIC. I thought totally understand why some gamers would not want to support them going forward given they don't seem to think about their affected user base. This is all on EPIC for claiming this is good for the industry and holding customers hostage in the process.

If he truly cared about "the industry" he would offer deals that don't require exclusivity as part of a forced agreement.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
kind of leaning towards refund. I wanted the game, but I always wanted the goddamn game on a disc, not a game code. That does nothing for me. a code on a disc, they may as well have just given me a baseball card and a stick of gum with a code on it.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good guy Epic. Fuck some shit up then provide a solution.

How this wasnt sorted a month ago ill never know, but its great that Epic has made investing in a game that much riskier for steam subscribers. Might as well buy every kickstarter at this point...

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
The next follow up, great way to kill any trust for backers looking for a Steam key and no interest in refund limbo.

Amazing. A straight out declaration of war on games crowdfunding, and a tacit admission that they had absolutely no plan going into the deal for Shenmue III. What can even be said here really?

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
How much money does Epic have to keep doing this kind of stuff? because it's not the first time.

Also refund after 3 years of waiting without any interest... the $30 of 2015 doesnt have the same value in 2019.

Suzuki, why you had to agreed to that awful deal with deep silver. I think the community even would look better a second kickstarter than this if you need more money.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I maintain there will be more of this happening, not less, if/when/as Epic continues to grow.

is this some new copy pasta

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Why keep it? Is the box it will come in really worth $330 for you?
The actual disc and box containing it won't be worth much unless there is some amazing cover art*. But I really went in wanting to primarily fund the development. And I had always said that I would buy any console for Shenmue III so I felt that I could just as well put in a matching amount. Plus the other rewards in that level have potential value for me with the YS signed illustration, name in credits, soundtrack (hopefully on disc, but who knows now a days...), art book and more. But yeah, mostly I wanted to support dev and I get that the rewards will most likely not be worth even a quarter of that money.

*Edit; Another reason why I have continuously ranted on the hideous new logo.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I'll get the refund, then. They lost my business the very moment they announced the move to EGS with that insulting marketing speak ("most enjoyable experience" my ass).

That Epic is paying for all refunds out of its own pocket is just further incentive for me.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

Steam never required devs to sign an agreement for exclusivity, they are the biggest because they literally offer the best PC digital store. The market decided to make it as big as it is.

Oct 30, 2017
How much money does Epic have to keep doing this kind of stuff? because it's not the first time.

Also refund after 3 years of waiting without any interest... the $30 of 2015 doesnt have the same value in 2019.

Suzuki, why you had to agreed to that awful deal with deep silver. I think the community even would look better a second kickstarter than this if you need more money.
Message from Yu Suzuki

I first want to thank all of you for your enduring support from the bottom of my heart. This announcement was made in the coordination of all our partners. As such, it was not presented in a timely fashion which I apologize for. We have at last been able to report the results of the project team's review of the EGS exclusive distribution deal.

The project team is currently concentrating on finishing up to release the game. We are working hard to deliver a game better than hoped even if by a little for the announced release date. Along with the significant project changes at the heart of this announcement, there have been many other changes since our original assumptions. I believe, however, that the game overall has been strengthened and that Shenmue III has assuredly been transformed and is heading in a positive direction.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Will the steam key even contain the backer only content I get at my tier?

I know they sometimes sell that kind of stuff later as DLC for non backers but...

Oct 25, 2017
I know for a fact that I am done with Kickstarter unless devs take it upon themselves to find a more legally-binding method to keep their initial promises of distribution methods a reality barring extreme circumstances. Publishers that join forces with Kickstarter devs should also be bound to that agreement. And until that becomes a part of the Kickstarter platform -- a legal agreement between Kickstarter and project developers to not enter into agreements that relinquish their publishing rights -- I am putting a freeze on KS.

I couldn't care less what Epic is doing. It's their prerogative to offer money to whomever they like. I expect developers who achieve their dream by the grace of those with the means to make that dream a reality to have the decency to respect their promises, or figure out some other way than begging to make it a reality. I have an idea, why don't you try going to Epic first if you want to make a game and see how that works out? :)

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam never required devs to sign an agreement for exclusivity, they are the biggest because they literally offer the best PC digital store. The market decided to make it as big as it is.

They never had to, whether they had the best store or not. In market share and in public perception, Steam is considered the only game in town.

And because it is so huge, it's not unreasonable to believe all but the largest devs releasing new stuff aren't doing much better than breaking even or just above. In the end, devs, especially new ones, need to recoup their costs and get at least some profit so they can continue making games. I imagine that's the scenario Ys Net were faced with here. An unfortunate scenario for sure, but one that ensures the game recoups most of its budget and gives even the glimmer of hope for a fourth installment.

I backed this game, and I care more about that than where and how I play this.

As I said in the last thread, this is the road PC gaming is headed down, like it or not. We're seeing it with TV streaming. Eventually these storefronts will be fractured as publishers and developers seek to retain as close to 100% of the cut as possible. If Epic weren't doing it, someone else would.

Last edited:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
And because it is so huge, it's not unreasonable to believe all but the largest devs releasing new stuff aren't doing much better than breaking even or just above. In the end, devs, especially new ones, need to recoup their costs and get at least some profit so they can continue making games. I imagine that's the scenario Ys Net were faced with here. An unfortunate scenario for sure, but one that ensures the game recoups most of its budget and gives even the glimmer of hope for a fourth installment.

As I said in the last thread, this is the road PC gaming is headed down, like it or not. We're seeing it with TV streaming. Eventually these storefronts will be fractured as publishers and developers seek to retain as close to 100% of the cut as possible. If Epic weren't doing it, someone else would.

You can be defeatist if you want and you're allowed to want to play it more than caring about stores or consumer rights just don't pretend this is good for the industry or consumers.

Didn't Ys Net get backing from Sony on top of the Kickstarter? I mean EPIC literally dumps money at their feet so why wouldn't they take it I get that. But people are also allowed to voice concern about it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Every developer that wants to start Kickstarter should go and ask Epic for money first from now on.

Yup and if you are a developer with a 1m+ units sold game they'll fund you. But if you're a small developer they'll pass until you prove your game will have a user base.

You can still like, fight against shitty things? Why just accept abuse? Video piracy is rising due to service splintering. It will rise with PC gaming as well while the exclusivity war wages on. And that's not to say that I want Steam to be a monopoly or the only store in town but they have earned my trust after 15 years of good-will when they could have turned the screws on exclusivity long ago.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
in my state when you move out they need to give you the interest on your security deposit you gave them at the beginning of your lease

slumlords look good compared to epic

your 300 bucks is worth like 20 dollars less thanks to inflation!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Which will effect how much people will be willing to pay for games.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
They never had to, whether they had the best store or not. In market share and in public perception, Steam is considered the only game in town.

i swear i read this exact same post many years ago

but it was about gfwl and involved "look PC gamers are going to have to get used to paying for online! consoles do it and it's only a matter of time!"

still waiting for that one to happen

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can be defeatist if you want and you're allowed to want to play it more than caring about stores or consumer rights just don't pretend this is good for the industry or consumers.

Didn't Ys Net get backing from Sony on top of the Kickstarter? I mean EPIC literally dumps money at their feet so why wouldn't they take it I get that. But people are also allowed to voice concern about it.

I agree - people who are angry about this should speak up. I believe this is unfortunate, but I'm not angry over it.

But I also believe that yes, things like this will be good for consumers in the long run - even if it doesn't look like it now. What would you prefer - 2-3+ digital stores competing for your business AND the major developers', or every single developer who can afford it locking their stuff up behind their own store / sub model / DRM etc with Steam picking up the scraps?

I can almost guarantee for most of the devs, the experience of Steam/Epic etc. won't matter if they can squeeze out a dime or more for every dollar you spend and exert more creative control over the content they created.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even go as far as to say that nothing can be done. Plenty has already been done. Despite the fact that they basically bought a conference, they only announced like 7-8 new exclusives, all of which fairly minor other than Shenmue III and Auto-Chess, which have largely backfired so far. Steam "got" Cyberpunk, Baldur's Gate 3, Destiny 2, Halo, the continuing support of Japanese publishers in general... if we take Game Pass into account, things don't look too rosy for the EGS outside of Borderlands 3 right now tbh.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
But I also believe that yes, things like this will be good for consumers in the long run - even if it doesn't look like it now. What would you prefer - 2-3+ digital stores competing for your business AND the major developers', or every single developer who can afford it locking their stuff up behind their own store / sub model / DRM etc with Steam picking up the scraps?

Every single developer who can afford it is going to create their own storefront whether the cut is 30% or 12%. Maybe temporarily the 12% satisfies them but eventually the shareholders need more money and 12% will be too much.