• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean, it makes sense. Reviewers probably won't get Shenmue if the collection reviews are anything to go by.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game will be lucky to break a 70 on Metacritic and I think they know this.

That said, Shenmue fans will be happy so I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish.

Oct 27, 2017
"We will give you a copy early but you can't print your review until the 21st."
I wonder how long reviewers who agrees to this have had the game.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
this explains so much. i've been waiting for review code for a while now!

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. It's more Shenmue so they know it's unlikely to review well. It's a niche game and the people who hate it really fucking hate it. My copy arrives Monday, can't wait.

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
Is this even legal? I am not allowed to review a product that is officially available for the public?

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i'm sure no one will livestream this game.

definetely can trust the internet. bunch of good boys and girls on there.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't instill confidence, but fans waited 18 years, they will buy it regardless or has already paid for the game via Kickstarter.
Non-fans can wait 2 days for the reviews, if not a single publication breaks the nda by "mistake".

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Not if you accepted a review copy.
You can review it regardless of any embargo if you got the game yourself.
But if you got a review copy from the publisher, well yes, it is. Why wouldn't it ?
Although terms of an embargo have to be agreed, they're not unilaterally set by a publisher. A publication would be able to accept or reject embargo terms, but obviously if they reject them they'll likely not receive an early copy (or indeed any copy) of the game.

Or you can break an embargo, which is what I imagine will happen here. Someone will post a review based on a copy they secured for themselves, and once one review is posted other publications will insist that the embargo has been broken and so will publish their reviews too.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My copy arrives this Monday! Oddly enough, I am not worried. Shenmue 3 could be just a forklift sim, and I'll still support it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bold strategy by Deep Silver.
Has it ever worked out for anyone ever?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Although terms of an embargo have to be agreed, they're not unilaterally set by a publisher. A publication would be able to accept or reject embargo terms, but obviously if they reject them they'll likely not receive an early copy (or indeed any copy) of the game.

Or you can break an embargo, which is what I imagine will happen here. Someone will post a review based on a copy they secured for themselves, and once one review is posted other publications will insist that the embargo has been broken and so will publish their reviews too.

Well yeah, if you accept the review copy, you accept the NDA.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say this is a new low for this specific game and its associated crowdfunding campaign, but that would be a lie.

Still bananas, though.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh look, someone from VG247 trying to stir up shit, now that''s really something unheard of.

Personally I believe that there's very few games (if any) that are as review-proof as Shenmue 3 will be to the specific audience it's targetted at.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, if you accept the review copy, you accept the NDA.
It's extremely rare for review copies to be contingent on signing an NDA (legal document), standard practice would be a written embargo (handshake agreement).

And I am fairly sure that for at least some publications, they'd decide that the handshake agreement is voided if other reviews are being published.

Which is why I suspect that this embargo will be broken.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely rare for review copies to be contingent on signing an NDA (legal document), standard practice would be a written embargo (handshake agreement).

And I am fairly sure that for at least some publications, they'd decide that the handshake agreement is voided if other reviews are being published.

Which is why I suspect that this embargo will be broken.

Eh, depends on the publisher indeed. I can say for sure that I had written NDAs for some games from some publishers.