• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but getting it early is so that can have the review ready for launch or an earlier embargo usually but theoretically I can buy the game and review it or at least give my impressions which is enough I imagine to be damaging before official reviews come out. Like they'd be better off buying it themselves.
But in reality, would you be able to have a real judgement ready of the game on the 21st if you could only buy it on the 19th?

Oct 30, 2017
Based on Reddit impressions, the biggest negatives seem to be the frame rate is unsteady and the cut scenes aren't edited or shot as well as the original games. Otherwise, people seem pleased with the finished product.

Ive also seen it confirmed the towns are indeed bigger than anything in the first two games

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're guessing that Shenmue fans that already have investment (both emotionally and literally in some cases) in the game are more likely to provide a good word-of-mouth for those all-important first couple of days than reviewers are.

Smart, but a bit sneaky.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Deep Silver keeps making questionable moves.

..eh, I paid for the game in kickstarter years ago, so I'm not likely to give two shits what reviews say. But it's still a questionable tactic. I guess pubs have to learn the hard way that the backlash is not worth it and just take the heat if the game scores low.

Also knowing Shenmue, the game will not be liked by certain people. It's just how it is.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Again just to remind people that assuming it's definitely who set Deep Silver without the developer also having a (big) say in that decision might be wrong.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it is next to impossible to embargo a review after a game came out? I mean what's to stop a good review outlet getting a copy of their own game? The fear of being blacklisted by a tiny developer?

Oct 25, 2017
Are the more sophisticated and clever european reviewers allowed to review it earlier?
I imagine a lot of US reviewers won't get the game because it flies above first person shooters

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Previews were generally quite good for a AA game on a very limited budget/staff size.

So y'know. Don't get your pants in too much of a twist.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
So you would buy Shenmue 3, the third installment of a very niche franchise, having either not played the previous two or disliking them?

Shenmue 1/2 are incredibly painful to try and play now. I have the HD collection and I'm struggling to get through Shenmue 1 even although Shenmue 3 is the only thing I've ever backed and my copy has shipped.

If this was a 8 or 9/10 game quite a number of people might consider buying it standalone.

This review embargo doesn't instil confidence in the product.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't think it matters all that much for this game...I feel like everyone who is gonna buy it bought it in like 2004. I hope it gets a wide audience but I doubt it.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Are the more sophisticated and clever european reviewers allowed to review it earlier?
I imagine a lot of US reviewers won't get the game because it flies above first person shooters

The guy who wrote that Tweet is working for VG247, which is based in the UK. A website nowadays well know to, well... liking to be confrontational, you could say?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I predict a Metascore of 69.
I think Shenmue still has some design sensibilities that are rare and compelling, so I think there's a chance it might find a new audience, but people who don't have a connection with the previous games might have a harder time getting it. And of course some people simply don't get on with these forklift simulators for assholes.

Making a modern Shenmue for an audience fondly remembering games that are now 15+ years old, is a pretty weird thing. I think in some areas you'll have wished Ys Net looked more forward. But I expect fans will largely be satisfied.
Hahaha oh wow

How could Deep Silver fuck the PR for this up so badly?
Deep Silver could've had 69k Shenmue fans hyping this game up, but then they went and screwed us. I at least am no longer particularly interested in convincing people to give this game a shot.

Actually, people shouldn't buy this game. Deep Silver clearly has no confidence in it, they just picked it up so they could make a bunch of money, by development costs being heavily subsidized by the crowdfunding, and then again by screwing us backers by selling PC distribution exclusivity to Epic.
And Deep Silver is owned by THQ Nordic/Embracer, who continues to employ the people who did some co-marketing with the Nazis, pedophiles and terrorists on 8chan.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
From experience, Japanese companiees and/or developers sometimes have some strange ideas how embargos and NDAs should work - take a look at e.g. Atlus who had lots of restrictions for coverage on the western release of Catherine: Full Body despite the game (and thus anything that might be spoiler material) having been available in Japan for months already.

Obviously not quite the same thing as this here, just to give a general idea that not everything crazy/stupid/bad in that regard is originating from the Western publisher.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible to think this embargo stuff is a dumb and worrying precedent, whilst also thinking the game will be fine.

Yeah, exactly. I'm looking forward to the game but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the game is good or not. Or whether I care about reviews or not. Its a underhanded/manipulative move and they deserve flack over it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
But in reality, would you be able to have a real judgement ready of the game on the 21st if you could only buy it on the 19th?
I mean that's though to say, you'd probably know if the game was bad after 10 to 15 hours of dedicated play at minimum you could release an impressions piece. That could be damaging enough or hey even high praise enough.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
The outlet could just buy another copy (ie. PC instead of the PS4 copy they received) on the 19th and review "that version" right?

True. Of course, you might imagine that a game that probably can't be proplery played/finished in just a few hours can be reviewd in such a short time frame, so saying your review is based on the retail copy you got on the same day might sound a bit unconvincing.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
What? They probably foresee poor scores from critics and are hoping positive word of mouth from the fans the game was made for will counteract it.
I read your post as being about that "the fans get to enjoy themselves for two days before reviews tell them what outdated crap they are playing". Maybe I read more into it than I should've, my bad if so.

Oct 30, 2017
I predict a Metascore of 69.
I think Shenmue still has some design sensibilities that are rare and compelling, so I think there's a chance it might find a new audience, but people who don't have a connection with the previous games might have a harder time getting it. And of course some people simply don't get on with these forklift simulators for assholes.

Making a modern Shenmue for an audience fondly remembering games that are now 15+ years old, is a pretty weird thing. I think in some areas you'll have wished Ys Net looked more forward. But I expect fans will largely be satisfied.

Deep Silver could've had 69k Shenmue fans hyping this game up, but then they went and screwed us. I at least am no longer particularly interested in convincing people to give this game a shot.

Actually, people shouldn't buy this game. Deep Silver clearly has no confidence in it, they just picked it up so they could make a bunch of money, by development costs being heavily subsidized by the crowdfunding, and then again by screwing us backers by selling PC distribution exclusivity to Epic.
And Deep Silver is owned by THQ Nordic/Embracer, who continues to employ the people who did some co-marketing with the Nazis, pedophiles and terrorists on 8chan.
People should buy it if they like Shenmue and want to support Yu Suzuki, which is why I'm buying it. I'm not sure I'm going to get another opportunity to play this game I waited 18 years for, so I'm making a hard choice and choosing to be selfish. It's unfortunate Deep Silver is involved. I make many decisions that are not entirely ethical, and that's a byproduct of our capitalist society.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I mean that's though to say, you'd probably know if the game was bad after 10 to 15 hours of dedicated play at minimum you could release an impressions piece. That could be damaging enough or hey even high praise enough.
10-15 hours is the estimated time to get out of the first area, Bailu Village. I don't think an impressions piece would be fair if they didn't get beyond that stage.

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
How did people get retail copies already?

Also I don`t understand why this will get bad reviews. Shenmue is a good game, people know what kind of game this is so won`t exactly be expecting to play a fast action game, and the Shenmue remake got good reviews.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
This was never going to sell to anyone other than diehard fans, so I don't know why they'd bother.

Jun 12, 2018
End of the world confirmed. We have to wait 48hrs for reviews.

If you're on the fence about shenmue 3, wait two days. If you wanna buy it on release, buy it. If you have no intention of buying it, dont buy it.

Unfortunately we all know this is just another opportunity for many to bash the game unnecessarily. *sigh*

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Like, some of you are acting as if people haven't even had a hands on with this game. They have, at 5+ events now - press and public. There was literally a backer demo that was really well received by the fanbase at large.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
End of the world confirmed. We have to wait 48hrs for reviews.

If you're on the fence about shenmue 3, wait two days. If you wanna buy it on release, buy it.

Unfortunately we all know this is just another opportunity for many to bash the game unnecessarily. *sigh*
Feels like you've got it backward.

This is people rightly criticising the actions of a corporation.

Then some people saying that a corporation should not be criticised because they like a game that they are associated with.

If it doesn't bother you then that's fine, but it's ridiculous to say that anyone disapproving of these circumstances are just bashing the game.

Like, some of you are acting as if people haven't even had a hands on with this game. They have, at 5+ events now - press and public. There was literally a backer demo that was really well received by the fanbase at large.

What's that got to do with criticising the actions of the publisher over embargo shenanigans?

Oct 30, 2017
If you are concerned about the game's quality, check out YouTube. There are live streams of the full retail copy.

but I think deep silver is truly terrible. Once it was obvious people got their hands on the game early, why'd they bother with this nonsense?