• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yu Suzuki just emailed backers the specs for the PC version:

Minimum: OS:

Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

Otherwise modest specs. I'm guessing a lot of that 100gb is going to be dual language support.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... I mean like I get that with RDR2 or with Elder Scrolls Online and with Call of Duty after all of the DLC is out but that seems... absurdly high for this. Unless there is way more than what we have been shown.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I have the feeling this year will have so many 100+ gb games and it will be the new norm. Really not looking forward to that.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually normal, while I would've liked it to be compressed I much rather have the full scope of the game realized.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They've been using these specs for months now, so they are most likely still estimating on the high side.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is 13 gigs with tons of voice acting, cutscenes and gigantic varied worlds. Shenmue 3 should be ashamed of itself

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Is this going to take place in a sprawling open world city with the level of minute detail of the earlier games!?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
thee fuck?
have we even seen gameplay from this thing yet?
the hell are they making there

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is 13 gigs with tons of voice acting, cutscenes and gigantic varied worlds. Shenmue 3 should be ashamed of itself
xenoblade 2 is the last thing id bring up in a discussion about technical competence.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I still kind of hate this (100gb size not Shenmue 3).

I wish devs we're able to spend time to optimize graphics/sound and offer various options.

Got Shenmue 3 coming for PC and PS4 so that's 200gb of SSD space between the two.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
So, for the technically minded, I'm curious - is this sort of stuff a matter of existing compression techniques being a poor match for the needs of modern games, or is it more of a matter of 'eh, storage is cheap and internet is fast enough, why use compression at all' (or something else entirely)?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, for the technically minded, I'm curious - is this sort of stuff a matter of existing compression techniques being a poor match for the needs of modern games, or is it more of a matter of 'eh, storage is cheap and internet is fast enough, why use compression at all' (or something else entirely)?
more like the latter and time not permitting them a chance to do more compression.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Do people really think its going to be loads of video? Did y'all not play the original games? Pretty sure all the cutscenes were realtime.

No reason not to do the same here. it's just friggin Shenmue 3. The original games had multiple discs because of all the dialog, music, and original characters / props.

Could it potentially be better compressed? Perhaps, but by how much (if at all) depends on how the engine streams.