• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already noticing so many amazing details in the trailer, and combined with recent previews and interviews it looks like the game will be just as in-depth as the previous games. What's even better is the game looks better every time I see it and I can already tell some of this is outdated footage from older builds of the game. The game continues to be polished and by release it should be even better.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
It looks so restful. I just wanna mosey around that world doing nothing in particular.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm speechless.

It looks atmospheric the way only a Shenmue game can. Walking around at night looks divine. I can honestly just see myself firing up the game to fuck around and just stroll around by moonlight.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I put $500 into this game and I know I'm going to be disappointed overall, but I still cannot wait at the same time. Roll on November :)

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Beautiful art direction. As someone who bought Shenmue on Dreamcast at launch, but skipped 2, this might pull me back in. Big fan of Yu Suzuki, I hope his work pays off!

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
What an amazing trailer to sell people on the world of Shenmue! The atmosphere that Shenmue 1 & 2 created is something insanely special and this trailer proves that Shenmue 3 has captured that perfectly! The amount of detail in this trailer is actually crazy. You can pause the video at any point and notice so many little things that make every item & texture unique (little cracks, weeds appearing though broken titles, pieces missing in the stone etc), I just love it!
Not long now, the 18 year wait is nearly over!

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing trailer to sell people on the world of Shenmue! The atmosphere that Shenmue 1 & 2 created is something insanely special and this trailer proves that Shenmue 3 has captured that perfectly! The amount of detail in this trailer is actually crazy. You can pause the video at any point and notice so many little things that make every item & texture unique (little cracks, weeds appearing though broken titles, pieces missing in the stone etc), I just love it!
Not long now, the 18 year wait is nearly over!

Yeah the environments look great. I loved the random objects just naturally buried within the world. The tire half hidden under the dirt and at one point an old frail wooden ladder tossed aside in some bushes and shrubble.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
I will speak for him/her but the aim of promotional material such as this trailer is to generate hype but if you're not getting excited then there is a good chance you won't enjoy the final game.

Somewhat yeah, and I just don't feel it'll probably match the expectations I've had over the years. I mean ultimately it doesn't matter what I, random guy with Lips avatar, on the internet think if other people enjoy it.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting we've still really seen no gameplay scenarios or anything outside of the village.

That's a good thing. I've already seen too much of the second area I feel like and don't want more spoilers. With the trial coming there will be a lot of gameplay from the first area. I'm also hoping they release a narrated trailer at some point that goes in depth with all the gameplay elements and things you can do as we know there's a lot.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's music from the first two games, but at least the first one sounds like they've redone it a bit. It's not identical with the track from Shenmue II.

As I thought then.

Music was such an important element of Shenmue 1 and 2, so I'd like to start hearing some of the new compositions made specifically for 3. I'm a bit worried that the soundtrack isn't going to be on a par with what came before.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
As I thought then.

Music was such an important element of Shenmue 1 and 2, so I'd like to start hearing some of the new compositions made specifically for 3. I'm a bit worried that the soundtrack isn't going to be on a par with what came before.

I expect them to reuse a lot of the soundtrack in Shenmue III, for budget reasons if nothing else. And I think they should, it's an amazing OST.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yeah the environments look great. I loved the random objects just naturally buried within the world. The tire half hidden under the dirt and at one point an old frail wooden ladder tossed aside in some bushes and shrubble.

And very accurate too. Anyone who's seen the Chinese countryside can testify to just how full of trash it sadly is.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Ryuji Iuchi is back to compose new tracks. They did say they would be pulling from the library of unused tracks as well.
From what I can tell by recent activity on his Twitter (machine translated, so your mileage may vary), he wasn't actually needed in the end for new compositions.

Reportedly only 20% of the music made for the original Shenmue games was actually used, so they'll be drawing from that vast audio library for Shenmue III. Shenmue Online was also supposed to do the same, and some of the OST made it onto the web in like... 2004, 2005? There are some properly great tracks in there, and even Iuchi said there are some "buried masterpieces" in the sound library.

From what people who've played the demo at trade shows have said, it seems Shenmue III's OST is a mix of old songs, remixed songs, and unheard songs. There still may be original compositions in there for small stuff (new arcade machines maybe), but they might be handled by Sound Director Takayuki Nakamura (AM2 sound staff alumni, Lumines, Rodea the Sky Soldier, etc) if so.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Looks great. Better than I expected it to when I backed this.

Just a nitpick from me, but that animation of Shenmue III being written at the end of the trailer is an absolute hack-job. Whoever did that should be ashamed of what they did.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
From listening to the music, I suddenly have the urge for Guizhang to return. It'd be badass if he shows up during the fight against Niao Sun or something.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
From what I can tell by recent activity on his Twitter (machine translated, so your mileage may vary), he wasn't actually needed in the end for new compositions.

Reportedly only 20% of the music made for the original Shenmue games was actually used, so they'll be drawing from that vast audio library for Shenmue III. Shenmue Online was also supposed to do the same, and some of the OST made it onto the web in like... 2004, 2005? There are some properly great tracks in there, and even Iuchi said there are some "buried masterpieces" in the sound library.

From what people who've played the demo at trade shows have said, it seems Shenmue III's OST is a mix of old songs, remixed songs, and unheard songs. There still may be original compositions in there for small stuff (new arcade machines maybe), but they might be handled by Sound Director Takayuki Nakamura (AM2 sound staff alumni, Lumines, Rodea the Sky Soldier, etc) if so.

You're a fountain of knowledge Spaghetti. Thanks a lot.

I've very mixed feelings in regards to this approach to Shenmue 3's OST if true. I understand that the team is working on a tight budget, but using nothing but music that was already recorded years ago doesn't sit too well with me. It's lacking in artistic integrity. Oh well, at least it'll sound like quintessential 'Shenmue' I guess.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I listened to some of the unused music in the past and it was great, I'm fine with them recycling old music in certain parts, I believe them that there are buried masterpieces in the library.

Wasn't Shenmue 3 development well under way before it went into limbo

On topic I think the games enviroment looks great, I'm also really happy how they've kept so much under wraps I mean we haven't even seen the main bad guys yet other than Lan Di

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019

The Guilin section of Shenmue II used a lot of different music tracks for being so short. I guess the team had originally composed them for the regular-sized Bailu chapter that we are getting now with III, so they jam-packed them in II so they at least got release (facing the uncertain possibility of a continuation back then).

So, I expect to hear some of those tunes again (which were wonderful by the way). And I also expect to hear most of the Shenmue online ones, because that game got cancelled at the end of the day.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Ah can't wait to not progress the main story because of taking constant night strolls around town

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Ah can't wait to not progress the main story because of taking constant night strolls around town

I know they don't need loading screens to enter buildings and new areas anymore so music now fades in and out, but I need the day to night cutscenes to make a return with the Nightfall music.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
You're a fountain of knowledge Spaghetti. Thanks a lot.

I've very mixed feelings in regards to this approach to Shenmue 3's OST if true. I understand that the team is working on a tight budget, but using nothing but music that was already recorded years ago doesn't sit too well with me. It's lacking in artistic integrity. Oh well, at least it'll sound like quintessential 'Shenmue' I guess.
No problem.

If it helps, even the music you've heard before is going to sound better than ever because of not being reinterpreted via the Dreamcast's sound chip. You should check out the soundtrack disk that came with the Japanese release of Shenmue I & II last year that contains the original versions of many classic tracks from the series, they sound totally transformed.

Wasn't Shenmue 3 development well under way before it went into limbo
Not officially, and definitely not during the Dreamcast era. There were rumours for years, including the infamous Kikizo article, but they were all bogus. SEGA had no desire to make another Shenmue after II, and Yu spent much of his wilderness years on other projects anyway.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not officially, and definitely not during the Dreamcast era. There were rumours every E3 for years, including the infamous Kikizo article, but they were all bogus. SEGA had no desire to make another Shenmue after II, and Yu spent much of his wilderness years on other projects anyway.

Yep I remember the Kikizo article very well.... Glad them days are behind us and the game is finally coming out in just a few months :o

I seem to recall way back in 2003 a small convention where SEGA and AM2 showed lots of art of characters from Shenmue 3 but it was a long time ago my memory fails me.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Might sound stupid but I might get emotional when I start this for the first time.

First played the original on the Dreamcast not long after a death in the family of someone close and it helped take my mind off things.

ColorMeImpressed

Alt account
Banned
Jul 24, 2019
I am gobsmacked by how well they have captured the mood and feel of Shenmue in this game. I am super stoked to play this.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Some new b-roll and an interview with Yu Suzuki by IGN Japan at TGS 2019.

Looks to be some improvements to the demo than what we saw previously. Combat looks improved with more impact on strikes. You can still tell this build isn't fully up to date either though due to the position of the tiger on the back of the jacket but it's nice to see the constant polish and adjustments being made. Looks great.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
E3 b-roll build:

sequence08.00_06_35_2g4jrw.jpg

July (?) build shown as b-roll at TGS:

ignjapan-e3b-rollvspr75k42.png

What do the kids call it... a glow up?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That B Roll footage is looking better than before, and watching/listening to Easy Allies this week Huber pointed out how much better the game is looking over the version he played at E3, which is nice to hear. Honestly the only thing not doing it for me is some of the animations - walking (jogging?) and talking looks a bit odd, but really that's something of nothing considering how long I waited for the game. Especially when so much of it looks so nice - especially the environments and those Sega blue skies. Seriously, its nice and colourful/vibrant.