• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
More story? I mean... there was technically story there, but I'd say "more" story is being rather generous to the very paper thin narrative the game has ;) There's basically a couple of small bits in the first town and then a couple of bits messily dumped on you in the last couple of minutes of the game, but generally they completely wasted the chance to actually answer any big questions in the series and move the plot forward in a meaningful way. I enjoyed experiencing the game, but was heavily let down with how badly the story was mishandled...

I specifically put "looks like" for a reason - I haven't played it and got a refund from them. I assumed, and it looked like there was more story. From my perspective, I didn't and still don't really care too much on how much or even it's quality. I specifically backed it to see what it could be. I then got my money back after it wasn't releasing on the service I chose, and they were siphoning an ever larger pile of money to accomplish little more. Any semblance of trust was lost, and it soured me from bothering with the game

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
DLC maybe? Tie in film? Making of Documentary? Forklift Simulator spin off? Shenmue 4 seems like a long shot unless the announcement is the launch of a crowd funding campaign.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Well this thread is a pleasant surprise but as a lifelong Shenmue fan, consider me sceptical until something is definitely confirmed. Anyone remember the infamous Kikizo article back in the day?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well this thread is a pleasant surprise but as a lifelong Shenmue fan, consider me sceptical until something is definitely confirmed. Anyone remember the infamous Kikizo article back in the day?
I had to look that up around the time Shenmue III released just for the nostalgia. Amazing that the dude doubled down on his point at some point, insisting that it was real (I don't doubt it was fake personally, re-reading it makes it sound like one of those "too good to be true" style deals)

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Probably going to be DLC if anything I'd think. The cheapest way to continue shenmue which i'd assume they would do considering reception and sales. Still haven't gotten around to playing 3. Ugh.

Oct 30, 2017
Prediction: Phone game.
I think Ys Net would be wise to consider developing phone games, but I'm sure everything I think makes sense is much easier said than done... I was thinking it's a real shame Sega didn't at least try to get Ys Net engaged with making sequels to some of Yu Suzuki's simpler games like Out Run and Hang On, but I also have no idea if he's interested. He did once mention he was working on mobile Space Harrier with motion controls ...

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah

"smaller than Shenmue 4, but bigger than a novel series."

so...

it's either a Shenmue 3 Story/Expansion DLC or a Netflix Series of some kind.

i lean towards the former since Shenmue 3 suffered big time form cut content/ideas from the original kickstarter vision but still I'll surprised since there was no single hint about it at all.

a Netflix series is also possible if it was an initiative by SEGA themselves rather than Yu Suzuki.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna guess "Director's Cut" DLC with a lot more story and some of the cut content.

That's what I hope anyway.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I see this as a positive no matter what it is because it keeps the series alive and may help fund a future Shenmue project.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I wonder if this will be the Character Perspective System that was the $5 million stretch goal in the Kickstarter? In that you would play as Ren and Shenhua, in Baisha I believe.

Oct 30, 2017
If Ys Net & Sega had no other alternative, how receptive would some of you folks be to something like a 2D side scroller version of Shenmue bringing the series to an end? I certainly like that more than an anime or a manga. I need to PLAY Shenmue, not just experience it passively. I doubt Yu Suzuki would ever hand over Shenmue to another developer, say the team who did SOR4 or Wonder Boy, but it's an idea I like. I understand an action-oriented Shenmue isn't what some folks want, but holy hell it's better than a Telltale-esque Shenmue IV, rehash of Shenmue 3 or whatever other crazy ideas I've seen lately (a novel... blah).

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Some guy on the Dojo claims he's also been given some info. on this 'surprise' and that it's not a game, but something cool. Def. losing hope this is anything to look forward to, but I'm a Shenmue fan and that's my fate.

Oct 30, 2017
Couple of minor things I discovered today while browsing the Ys Net website:

1. Page has been updated for the first time in years. Previously, it appeared to not have been updated since 2017.
2. Updates, which'll make most of you yawn
  1. Job openings have dropped from 8 to 7 for some reason. They dropped the secretary listing. This section hasn't changed in years.
  2. Office address at Ebisu Station, which has been at the bottom of the page for years, is gone. Now the location just says "Tokyo"

Someone on Shenmue Dojo mentioned that Koch is opening an office in Tokyo in the next couple of weeks... Could be something? Probably not. Keep your eyes on THE YS NET PAGE.

===

Shenmue fans like me grasp at any and every straw.

P.S.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of minor things I discovered today while browsing the Ys Net website:

1. Page has been updated for the first time in years. Previously, it appeared to not have been updated since 2017.
2. Updates, which'll make most of you yawn
  1. Job openings have dropped from 8 to 7 for some reason. They dropped the secretary listing. This section hasn't changed in years.
  2. Office address at Ebisu Station, which has been at the bottom of the page for years, is gone. Now the location just says "Tokyo"

Someone on Shenmue Dojo mentioned that Koch is opening an office in Tokyo in the next couple of weeks... Could be something? Probably not. Keep your eyes on THE YS NET PAGE.

===

Shenmue fans like me grasp at any and every straw.

P.S.

I'm always hungry for Shenmue, even 3 with all it flaws, I just enjoy strolling about, with the nice music and wonderful environmental design.

Oct 30, 2017
People interested in the Shenmue story tells me it's either the Kickstarter doc or a different doc. Recall there's been some "legal issues" keeping the Kickstarter doc from being released.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
People interested in the Shenmue story tells me it's either the Kickstarter doc or a different doc. Recall there's been some "legal issues" keeping the Kickstarter doc from being released.
It's more interesting than a documentary and it's nothing being kickstarted, it's already funded by a pretty notable company (with a decent budget I hear) and decently far in production. There will be a bit of sweet and sour with the announcement, but it's interesting.

Sorry to sorta' hop around it, I have more on it I could share but most of it would spoil exactly what I'm teasing, which I promised not to do, just hint at it.

Oct 30, 2017
It's more interesting than a documentary and it's nothing being kickstarted, it's already funded by a pretty notable company (with a decent budget I hear) and decently far in production. There will be a bit of sweet and sour with the announcement, but it's interesting.

Sorry to sorta' hop around it, I have more on it I could share but most of it would spoil exactly what I'm teasing, which I promised not to do, just hint at it.
Well, there you go. Pretty hyped. Cautiously, of course.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

Sounds awesome, looking forward to the weekend.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Will the sour part mean the story will not finish in games and instead another media?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Can you say whether it's a glorified cancellation, for example the rest of the story as a book?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017

Not a game though, right?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Can't wait for the garbage quality 3DCG Netflix anime to finish the rest of the story's plot.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this was Yu Suzuki's back up plan to not getting Shenmue 4 greenlit and a way to close the book on the series.

Hopefully this doesn't mean his studio is shutting down. Looking forward to new stuff they'll do.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this was Yu Suzuki's back up plan to not getting Shenmue 4 greenlit and a way to close the book on the series.

Hopefully this doesn't mean his studio is shutting down. Looking forward to new stuff they'll do.
I disagree that would be a "fun" announcement like in the tweet. It's like a TV series being cancelled, but instead of just saying it, they announce an exciting comic book run for series 8 or whatever.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
AT this point I just want to know what the plot of Shenmue is supposed to be. I'd take a script or plot summary over another game like Shenmue 3 (which did little to the overall plot) at this point. Games are nice and all but its clear the series is never getting finished as intended, and I'm really only interested to see where the plot was supposed to go.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Really good to hear that a "notable" company decided to fund the next step in the Shenmue saga, whatever it may be.