• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
www.youtube.com

Shenmue Dojo Show - Episode 5: Exploring the Timeline

Join James and Matt for a thorough Shenmue history tour as they read through the entire TeamYu.net Shenmue 3 campaign timeline, which details major points th...

New episode from Shenmuedojo.

I wasn't even aware of this timeline but as they were going through various entries with the benefit of hindsight you could tell how the campaign started getting more and more momentum. Suzuki announcing the KS was not out of the blue but really the product of sustained campaign by the fans and a lot of manoeuvring behind the scenes.

I will readily admit to being a lapsed Shenmue fan until the E3 announcement as I remember the Dojo forums being a ghost town in mid 2010-2011 with hope for Shenmue 3 at an all time low. It was amazing hearing all the hard work, perseverance, constant campaigning that made this a reality. I guess my mind goes to what lessons can we take from this timeline and help apply them to trying to get Shenmue 4 announced? I understand we are in a different environment and time now but with its mythical status somewhat diminished and actual products to be released in the anime, I can't help by wonder.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
www.youtube.com

Shenmue Dojo Show - Episode 5: Exploring the Timeline

Join James and Matt for a thorough Shenmue history tour as they read through the entire TeamYu.net Shenmue 3 campaign timeline, which details major points th...

New episode from Shenmuedojo.

I wasn't even aware of this timeline but as they were going through various entries with the benefit of hindsight you could tell how the campaign started getting more and more momentum. Suzuki announcing the KS was not out of the blue but really the product of sustained campaign by the fans and a lot of manoeuvring behind the scenes.

I will readily admit to being a lapsed Shenmue fan until the E3 announcement as I remember the Dojo forums being a ghost town in mid 2010-2011 with hope for Shenmue 3 at an all time low. It was amazing hearing all the hard work, perseverance, constant campaigning that made this a reality. I guess my mind goes to what lessons can we take from this timeline and help apply them to trying to get Shenmue 4 announced? I understand we are in a different environment and time now but with its mythical status somewhat diminished and actual products to be released in the anime, I can't help by wonder.
If they have made some money on Shenmue III, a part IV shouldn't be too far fetched I would think. Considering the hundreds of other worse games and sequels that are released every year.

Jibby

Oct 27, 2017
New Shenmue Dojo interview with Bill Black:

There's also an exclusive behind the scenes look at a VO session for Shenmue III:

Steakman

Jan 25, 2021
Copied from the Shenmue Dojo's Twitter:

Fans waiting for @ShenmueAnime news won't have to wait much longer as a #Shenmue panel is scheduled to take place at the upcoming @NY_Comic_Con! "Hear how Yu Sukuzi brought his Sega creations to life through anime…"

Time: Oct 7th, 17:15 EST / 22:15 BST

News Link: https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en-...enmue-Continuing-the-Legacy-Virtual-Screening

You can watch this panel online. It costs $20 for a ticket and they can be bought here: https://www.showclix.com/event/nycc2021iknvj08hoiknkin

If they don't show a trailer or some footage I will be very very surprised.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, one thing that fascinates me with all three games is cut content. And right now the awesome Phantom Riverstone blog is doing a multi part series on the cut Miao village from Shenmue II:
www.phantomriverstone.com

The Secret of Miao Village: Analysis of Village Screenshots [Part One]

A blog on the Shenmue series of games from Yu Suzuki with a mission to translate articles, videos and updates for English-speaking fans.

Absolutely worth a read if you've not already done so... while the games and anime have plenty of gorgeous locations, I cant help but wonder what could have been for some of these locations... I'll be honest, for the longest time I'd assumed this village was supposed to be based around the end of II when you go to China, but reading around suggests that it may have actually taken place much earlier in the story, in Hong Kong...

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So, one thing that fascinates me with all three games is cut content. And right now the awesome Phantom Riverstone blog is doing a multi part series on the cut Miao village from Shenmue II:
www.phantomriverstone.com

The Secret of Miao Village: Analysis of Village Screenshots [Part One]

A blog on the Shenmue series of games from Yu Suzuki with a mission to translate articles, videos and updates for English-speaking fans.

Absolutely worth a read if you've not already done so... while the games and anime have plenty of gorgeous locations, I cant help but wonder what could have been for some of these locations... I'll be honest, for the longest time I'd assumed this village was supposed to be based around the end of II when you go to China, but reading around suggests that it may have actually taken place much earlier in the story, in Hong Kong...
Yeah development seems to have been rather chaotic over the years. Like Chapter 2 on the boat never making it into a game, the Shenmue II cut content, the canned Saturn prototype, all other never used Dreamcast assets, the Shenmue Online game assets, the remakes assets etc. A most tantalizing alternative universe where the Dreamcast wasn't cancelled and Shenmue II was a commercial success in 2001.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah development seems to have been rather chaotic over the years. Like Chapter 2 on the boat never making it into a game, the Shenmue II cut content, the canned Saturn prototype, all other never used Dreamcast assets, the Shenmue Online game assets, the remakes assets etc. A most tantalizing alternative universe where the Dreamcast wasn't cancelled and Shenmue II was a commercial success in 2001.
Yeah, I often wonder what would have happened if Shenmue continued as planned back in the day, rather than what happened. Its a pity, the Saturn and DC cut stuff is so fascinating... Heck, just thinking about what's been cut from 3 is also pretty fascinating as well. Really makes you wonder what could have been...

On the brighter side, at least we got 3 (for all its faults), and the anime has been a fun ride.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, I often wonder what would have happened if Shenmue continued as planned back in the day, rather than what happened. Its a pity, the Saturn and DC cut stuff is so fascinating... Heck, just thinking about what's been cut from 3 is also pretty fascinating as well. Really makes you wonder what could have been...

On the brighter side, at least we got 3 (for all its faults), and the anime has been a fun ride.
Yeah. With reasonable expectations, revivals from 20+ years ago can deliver something to fans but incredibly unlikely to be exactly the same. The journey for Shenmue, both in-game story and in dev sense, will always triumph the eventual ending.