• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Are they recording in Tokyo or LA?
Plans were previously to record in LA, but that may have changed or remained the same since we last heard.

No real way of knowing when this was taken. If it was today, I would say LA; because if it were Tokyo it would be a recording session with a 7AM start/finish. There's every chance the photo was taken a little while back though, the Japanese voice recording had begun at least a month before Haruka Terui was announced as being Shenhua's new voice.

If anybody with a Twitter account wants to ask Corey they can go ahead, you might get a reply. Wouldn't be surprised if details are offered in a Kickstarter update soon though.

Related news - seems Adam Sipione's Shenmue documentary have finished filming with Ys Net. They're supposedly still in Japan for another week.

That was December 6th. Yu is running a travel gauntlet if he was in Japan on the 6th, in LA by the 7th, and due in China on the 15th/16th.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

We already knew Shenmue III would be at MAGIC again next year, and that details of the showing would be announced in advance, so the news is really the language to describe Shenmue III's presence at the show.

Calling it a big update is bold after the teasing last year that didn't materialise into a huge amount, but I think this is on the level.

There's also this:

I'm not personally expecting any bombshells from the Facebook Live thing next Sunday, but it might help set the stage for what's to come at the MAGIC press conferences in the New Year, and the event itself in March.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Sorry for the triple post, but more behind the scenes stuff from Corey:

I'd say it's a given they're recording in LA now, personally. I'm actually quite excited to hear how this turns out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So yesterday I finally got round to playing the HD remaster of Shenmue. And I loved every second of it (yet again). It still wasn't absolutely perfect - as I did have a couple of tiny glitches (I once had ambient sound in Dobuita disappear for a moment) but other than that it was fine. The faster load times alone were an enormous improvement, as is save anywhere. And certain features - faces for main characters especially still look pretty darn great in HD. Can't wait to replay Shenmue 2 in the new year - the third disk of that game remains one of the best gameplay experiences that I've ever played.

I was also pretty happy that I managed to beat the final boss on Shenmue 1 on my first try. I expected it to take a couple of tries at least seeing as the arcade fight took 4-5 tries to nail down. The combat just sorta "clicked" during the 70 man fight and I could counter far more efficiently and that helped loads with the end fight as well. Should help me get the most out of 2's combat (especially as there is far more of it in 2).

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The Gamescom 2018 was shown again in China but with one distinct difference.

The second shot of the trailer - the fishermen on rafts in Choubu - was removed, and the first shot of Shenhua in the cave was extended to cover the gap. Why this was done is a mystery, but we got a cleaner and longer look at her, as she was in the Gamescom '18 video.

I grabbed some screenshots, but be aware they've been compressed to shit as they're exported JPGs from a downloaded YouTube video, which was in turn captured from a stream. So basically a lot of fine detail looks muddy/has been compressed out.

sequence01.00_00_05_1nwc3d.jpg

sequence01.00_00_06_16jd0w.jpg

sequence01.00_00_06_2evipt.jpg

sequence01.00_00_07_24pd0w.jpg

And one more where Ryo appears for literally just a few frames. I'm almost certain he wasn't meant to be seen, considering how he's not properly lit, but it just seems to have been a consequence of extending this shot.

sequence01.00_00_08_1txesw.jpg

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
1200 lines in six hours.

They found a way to deliver Shenmue II voice acting and the secret was studio booking times.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
In the event you're not having a joke around, here's basically a repost of what I said at the Dojo:

On the subject of 1200 lines in 6 hours - not all lines are equal. "Ah, good" is a line, so is "I know this...", along with "Do you know where [LOCATION] is?"

They've been going at a fairly steady rate from what we know about 800 lines in 8 hours (reportedly normal for VO sessions for games), so I don't think they're rushing through now for the sake of it. Most likely they scheduled a day to work through a lot of those bulk standalone/minimal interaction lines.

Corey elaborated on Facebook why they stopped at 6 hours. He was having trouble with a line after four tries, so they wrapped up for the day. That's a solid gold star to Bill Black's name as a voice director IMO. If the volume of lines is impacting how well your actor can work; it's definitely time to take a break. A lesser director may have forced on just to clear more lines for the day.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'll love it no matter how it turns out.

For comparison, do we know how many lines the previous games had?

I presume most of the stuff they're recording now is simple conversation between shop keepers and such, as it wouldn't be practical to schedule all those extras to record with.

Hopefully they have all the main character actors record together so it comes across as more organic sounding.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Kickstarter Update #94: China Distribution Finalized! Shenmue III Partnering with Tencent & Oasis Games!

seasonsgreetings_2018w3c91.gif

The update mainly deals with the Chinese distribution deal, but also includes information that reward info changes can be made until January 6th 2019, because of latecomers who missed the previous September deadline. The current deadline is absolutely final. Your address details on the survey can be changed right up until the point the game starts shipping, however.

Crucial quote from the update though:

There will be plenty of events with lots to unveil this coming year, and we hope everyone will hang in there with us just a little longer until August 27th.

Straight from the horse's mouth. Promotion will be ramping up in 2019. The first event we know of is MAGIC in March - details about the showing will be released in February.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I wonder what will come out of the trial version, now seemingly being released so close to 1.0 launch that most feedback will be nearly impossible for the devs to act on. Given the logo debacle I kind of feel they don't care about fan feedback, which need not be only bad but still.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I wonder what will come out of the trial version, now seemingly being released so close to 1.0 launch that most feedback will be nearly impossible for the devs to act on. Given the logo debacle I kind of feel they don't care about fan feedback, which need not be only bad but still.
I feel once talk about it being a "What's Shenmue?" type affair started popping up, there wasn't much chance of it being used to collect player impressions.

Not that I mind. I'd rather the individuals orbiting the development give focused feedback, than the cacophony of backers; myself included.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I dunno man. Feels like they've really got their shit ready for 2019 with this final statement of intent to show more at planned events. That was really only the final puzzle piece now we know localisation is underway and rewards fulfillment is being prepped.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
How big is Shenmue in China?

I mean, I'm sure it will do well just by the sheer number of people, but is there like an active fan base for the game?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
How big is Shenmue in China?

I mean, I'm sure it will do well just by the sheer number of people, but is there like an active fan base for the game?
Big enough for a fan club/society. They've helped cover events in China that Yu is attending before. The announcement that III will be coming officially to China got a big reaction in the crowd for Yu's Q&A.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Code:
Which Kickstarter version of Shenmue III would you like?

Choosing your PS4 region

Your PS4 region will be decided with your "Country" selection on the address or customer information page. Please note, if the disc region differs from PS4 system region, the unit itself, PlayStation™Network online services or DLC may not function properly.

Today i just noticed that Shenmue 3 backer survey did not give an option to select region of your game and I do not want the game region decided by my shipping address. I already send an email to [email protected] to sort this issue.

Anymore people I should contact?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Am I not going to get a solution from fangamer?
Because my country's PSN is bad especially on DLC support. If I can't get a R1 copy, I want back my money...
I don't know. They and Ys Net try to be flexible - as seen by the soft extension of survey responses until January 6th, so you might get it solved.

But I could see why they'd take the approach of sending copies based on the region of the shipping address, though. I guess it's not to step on any toes with ratings agencies, the different publishers the game has worldwide, and to know the correct amount of copies to secure from regional manufacturers.

What exactly do you mean by DLC support though?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. They and Ys Net try to be flexible - as seen by the soft extension of survey responses until January 6th, so you might get it solved.

But I could see why they'd take the approach of sending copies based on the region of the shipping address, though. I guess it's not to step on any toes with ratings agencies, the different publishers the game has worldwide, and to know the correct amount of copies to secure from regional manufacturers.

What exactly do you mean by DLC support though?
DLC/Game download code cannot be redeemed because it doesn't exist in PSN store.
Atelier pre-order gave a free copy of a PS2 PSN game. Ops, not available in my country PSN store. Gotta open another R3 account.
DLC code included with my R3 Shippuden. Ops, not available in my country PSN store. Gotta open another R3 account.

It's a bad joke that the game's region is based on shipping address although I pay in USD without regional pricing and shipping is calculated based on my location.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
DLC/Game download code cannot be redeemed because it doesn't exist in PSN store.
Atelier pre-order gave a free copy of a PS2 PSN game. Ops, not available in my country PSN store. Gotta open another R3 account.
DLC code included with my R3 Shippuden. Ops, not available in my country PSN store. Gotta open another R3 account.

It's a bad joke that the game's region is based on shipping address although I pay in USD without regional pricing and shipping is calculated based on my location.
I assume the worry is that you'll be unable to download the in-game digital rewards tiers, then?

Might be worth asking if Fangamer can shed any light on details of how that will be handled and if they can guarantee the rewards will be redeemable in all regions.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Am I not going to get a solution from fangamer?
They are the ones receiving the copies of the game and responsible for shipping them. They're also managing the survey, and creating some of the rewards like their version of the coat. They are definitely the ones who can solve this for you, as long as they have permission to do it.

Be sure to let us know what they come back with. They might be slightly backlogged right now due to the recent holiday.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the worry is that you'll be unable to download the in-game digital rewards tiers, then?

Might be worth asking if Fangamer can shed any light on details of how that will be handled and if they can guarantee the rewards will be redeemable in all regions.
Yup. The digital reward is my concern and I also bought R1 copies of Shenmue 1 and 2. Worse is I have no idea how Sony will transition from PS4 to PS5. If it's selective b/c (not all games playable because of license), I will prefer all my library to stick to the region with the biggest player base. Not trusting PSN Asia to do anything.

They are the ones receiving the copies of the game and responsible for shipping them. They're also managing the survey, and creating some of the rewards like their version of the coat. They are definitely the ones who can solve this for you, as long as they have permission to do it.

Be sure to let us know what they come back with. They might be slightly backlogged right now due to the recent holiday.
Ok, will update in this thread. I am surprised no one question for fangamer sticking to shipping address instead of preparing a drop down list to select country for game's region.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yu Suzuki's small comment in Famitsu's end of year feature with other game devs has appeared online, though still in Japanese.

Machine translated attempt:

Key words of 2019
"Balance". I'm looking forward to seeing a game that perfectly captured the open-world user cycle and economic balance.

2019 resolution
It is my pleasure to have a relaxing time in the unique world of "Shen Mu" in Akatsuki where "Shenmu III" was released safely in August 2019.

What I am paying attention in 2019
Apart from "Shen Mu", I can not think of anything (laugh).

Kind of spotty, but you get the idea that Yu eats, sleeps, and breathes Shenmue III right now. He was also unable to attend the fan meeting in Yokosuka on the 24th for this reason.

Jcgamer60

Oct 28, 2017
PhantomRiverStone.com also did a translation on this:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/12/yu-suzukis-keyword-for-2019-balance.html

Yu Suzuki again participated, and here are his replies:
Q: What is your keyword for 2019?
YS: "Balance". I'm looking forward to what's to come for things like open-world user cycles, and games that are perfectly-balanced economically.​
Q: What is your New Year's Resolution?
YS: Once Shenmue III is successfully released in August 2019, I hope players will spend a leisurely time inside the unique world of the new Shenmue.

Q: What will you be keeping an eye on in 2019?
YS: I can't think about anything other than Shenmue. (laughs)​
Yu's comments about his chosen keyword, "balance", no doubt reflect themes of interest within the context of his development of Shenmue III.

The phrase "user cycle" can refer to the patterns of interaction over time that a player has with a game (such as how frequently and for how long they play) as well as their actions within the game, while his comment on economic balance may point to the challenge of attaining a good balance between development budget and game sales.

Not surprisingly, it is clear that Yu is completely focused on Shenmue III, as he and team work towards its release date of 27th August 2019.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yu's keywords for 2018 and 2017 respectively were "immersion" and "shortcuts". Funny how they kind of tell the tale of development on Shenmue III from the end of the prototype, right up to where we are now at the polishing stage.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great update from Kickstarter today.
January 6th, 2019 will be the final day for survey response updates.

No response from [email protected]
Still stuck with game region based on shipping address. Already check the survey again.
Somehow the link I used last week no longer works. Have to use this link to get the survey.
https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindling/shenmue3/resend_survey
That's some bullshit. I hope you're able to get it changed.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Is combat in Shenmue QTE only? Not like Yakuza?
Real time combat, based on a simplified Virtua Fighter engine with a parry/counter system. Battles are determined by the story progress, not random on the street.

Looks like this:

Shenmue III's combat is rebuilt from the ground up. Still real time, now features a manual lock-on function rather than handled by the computer, may include revival/buff consumable items. Looks like this (as of July 2018):

fight_with_thugs1pdj8.jpg

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Real time combat, based on a simplified Virtua Fighter engine with a parry/counter system. Battles are determined by the story progress, not random on the street.

Looks like this:

Shenmue III's combat is rebuilt from the ground up. Still real time, now features a manual lock-on function rather than handled by the computer, may include revival/buff consumable items. Looks like this (as of July 2018):

fight_with_thugs1pdj8.jpg

That looks cool! I'm 2 hours into Shenmue 1 and never encountered ''combat'' so I was curious.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
That looks cool! I'm 2 hours into Shenmue 1 and never encountered ''combat'' so I was curious.
You'll see it soon enough. Fights start trickling into the game after the first few leads you chase down. From the start though, you can practice your moves solo in the dojo/parks/the parking lot in Dobuita if you want to try out the basic controls. You can mostly mash your way through any of the fights, but the gifs I posted are from making use of more advanced techniques as well as blocking/parrying/countering.

The window for countering in the first Shenmue is really forgiving. Once you figure out the timing you will walk through 99% of fights like a martial arts god.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
There's still the chance everything will work out fine and any digital content will be accessible in every region the game ships to.

But y'know, we probably won't know if that's the case until launch. Got my fingers crossed for you though.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think i am doomed. orders@fangamers is just a checklist when they started the Kickstarter. No reply til today.
Good luck to those with shipping address not reflecting your PSN region.
Dumb question, so i apologise in advance.

You tried hitting them up on the social media ?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
There's still the chance everything will work out fine and any digital content will be accessible in every region the game ships to.

But y'know, we probably won't know if that's the case until launch. Got my fingers crossed for you though.
my point is i don't want my region and i don't want to open another account.

still don't understand how they thought setting the address as game region is a good idea.

sorry for the rant. will try to contact Kickstarter instead.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question, so i apologise in advance.

You tried hitting them up on the social media ?
The last update on Twitter is August 30, 2018. No option to DM them.
orders@fangamers is frustrating.

Edit:
Just found out they have another account.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShenmueForever
The account that didn't get updated since August 30, 2018
https://mobile.twitter.com/Shenmue_3

i have no idea which account is the one with connection to the Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
still don't understand how they thought setting the address as game region is a good idea
Could be anything from manufacturing and distribution considerations, to any other kind of bureaucratic red tape or practical considerations. Nobody went out of their way to make a decision to fuck with people who want copies from regions outside their shipping address.

You can try your luck with Kickstarter themselves, but ultimately you're still getting the rewards you pledged for, and obviously it can be argued Ys Net and Fangamer are not responsible for the minutia of how PSN functions.

This sounds harsh but you are in a slim minority and it's unlikely exceptions will be made for you and potentially a handful of others, especially when the issue seems to be (if I'm reading this correctly) you don't want to open another PSN account? I'm not 100% clear on your situation so feel free to correct me.

Your country's PSN is not great at supporting digital content included with games bought in your region. So you'd like a Region 1 copy that you can use with an existing Region 1 PSN account. Is that right?

EDIT:

And from your post in the other Shenmue thread going on at the minute:

Today i just message the Twitter handle,
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShenmueForever and sent a message through Kickstarter.
i have no idea which Twitter account is the one with connection to the Kickstarter.
ShenmueForever is a fan account. This is the account linked with the Kickstarter, but it's been inactive for a while now.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Could be anything from manufacturing and distribution considerations, to any other kind of bureaucratic red tape or practical considerations. Nobody went out of their way to make a decision to fuck with people who want copies from regions outside their shipping address.

You can try your luck with Kickstarter themselves, but ultimately you're still getting the rewards you pledged for, and obviously it can be argued Ys Net and Fangamer are not responsible for the minutia of how PSN functions.

This sounds harsh but you are in a slim minority and it's unlikely exceptions will be made for you and potentially a handful of others, especially when the issue seems to be (if I'm reading this correctly) you don't want to open another PSN account? I'm not 100% clear on your situation so feel free to correct me.

Your country's PSN is not great at supporting digital content included with games bought in your region. So you'd like a Region 1 copy that you can use with an existing Region 1 PSN account. Is that right?
Yup. a R1 copy is the only thing i want.

fangamers removing the choice for game region still sounds ridiculous because i am not distributing the game, not benefitting from region pricing, paying for shipping is based on location and fangamers are distributing backer`s copy for all regions.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Code:
Dear xxx,

Thank you very much for your message.

We are accutely aware of region discrepencies that may arise.

A final confirmation method has not yet been established, but we can assure you that one will be implemented. Once we have finalized a region confirmation method, there will be an announcement made in the Kickstarter updates and at Shenmue.link.

We please ask for your patience in the meantime.

Best Regards,
Oscar & the Shenmue III Team
Hopefully there will be good news.

Edit 001:
Code:
Hello xxx,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry to hear you had problems getting in touch with Fangamer, we will look into this issue on our end.

If you are experiencing further trouble getting help from Fangamer please do not hesitate to ask us here.

Best Regards,
Oscar & the Shenmue III Team
If backers need assistance with the Kickstarter, better to message through Kickstarter.

Edit 002:
It's 25th January 2019 and no news yet. Last message received through Kickstarter message is 8th January 2019.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My co-host and I made a short Shenmue skit based on a long running joke from our "Shenmue AM2 Podcast"

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited: