• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
There seemed to be quite a bit of info revealed at the Reboot Develop Blue conference, including some new screenshots.

D393VCFWsAAbo1Z.jpg:large

D39wABtWsAIGRKk.jpg:large

D39uBGFX4AAyapM.jpg:large

D39vUBAXsAYqBdx.jpg:large

D39sz9PXsAcqGxc.jpg:large

https://shenmuedojo.com/yu-suzuki-reveals-shenmue-3-images-and-info-at-reboot-develop-blue-2019/

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
There seemed to be quite a bit of info revealed at the Reboot Develop Blue conference, including some new screenshots.
Spaghetti cooked up a thread about it earlier today:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...evelop-blue-new-screens-gameplay-info.111183/

Ben Judd did an excellent job as translator during the presentation, much faster and detailed than we've gotten from previous live interviews. You could almost say it was "better than nothing". 😉

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That last shot of Ryo walking through the riverside market area, looks like classic Shenmue 2 to me (in the best possible way) just with way better lighting and character models. I'm impressed with how close Yu seems to be keeping the entire thing, its definitely going to be a Shenmue game for Shenmue fans, which is exactly what I wanted, granted that'll probably not appeal to people that weren't fans before... but really I didn't wait 17+ years for Shenmue 3 for it to turn into a generic open world game, so this pleases me greatly :)
Also, as I've stated in the past, I'm very hyped for the dojo/arena/mini games stuff. It sounds like a mix of the small amount of training you do in Yakuza, and a lot like how things were done in the street fighting sections of Shenmue 2 especially. So I see me playing those bits loads for sure!

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation State of Play 2 was announced for May 9th with "Re-reveal of a third party game that was announced long ago "

Re-reveal feels like strange wording for it to be Shenmue, but at the same time I don't know if there's a better opportunity to collaborate with Sony marketing at this point.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Ehhhhh, I think re-reveal would discount Shenmue III unless they're being incredibly loose with the term. Sounds more like something that's been submerged for a considerable amount of time, like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Dead Island 2, etc.

And if anybody missed it, Yu posted an illustration for the Japanese public holiday "Children's Day":

D5zLJI6UYAAwaKu.jpg

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So. Quick question for you lovely people.

For everyone who chose the PC version at the KS exclusive case. Are you going to buy it digitally, so you don't have to wait for the physical version. (i think iam, as i don't trust them to deliver it by day one)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

For everyone who chose the PC version at the KS exclusive case. Are you going to buy it digitally, so you don't have to wait for the physical version. (i think iam, as i don't trust them to deliver it by day one)
PS4, not PC for me but I see me double dipping in the same way. Usually I'd wait (like Bloodstained which is soon) but its Shenmue 3, I can't wait for the game to be delivered to me, who knows when that will be!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

I added on a digital version to my pledge for exactly for this reason. At $29 it was an absolute steal anyway.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4, not PC for me but I see me double dipping in the same way. Usually I'd wait (like Bloodstained which is soon) but its Shenmue 3, I can't wait for the game to be delivered to me, who knows when that will be!
I backed Bloodstained too. And for the tier i got. $300 (That same as my Shenmue tier) They give you a digi copy as well.

I hope i don't come across as entitled. Cause that's not my intent.
I added on a digital version to my pledge for exactly for this reason. At $29 it was an absolute steal anyway.
Shit. I should have done that. 😭

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Code:
Which Kickstarter version of Shenmue III would you like?

Choosing your PS4 region

Your PS4 region will be decided with your "Country" selection on the address or customer information page. Please note, if the disc region differs from PS4 system region, the unit itself, PlayStation™Network online services or DLC may not function properly.

Today i just noticed that Shenmue 3 backer survey did not give an option to select region of your game and I do not want the game region decided by my shipping address. I already send an email to [email protected] to sort this issue.

Anymore people I should contact?
Months has passed and fangamers are doing absolutely nothing for physical collectors who wants different region but staying at different region.

Good luck to all. Don't expect any support from non-responsive fangamers if anything goes awry. Assume any response through KS as lies too.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Avoid Shenmue III Kickstarter if you want to order a physical copy. fangamers is following Ys instructions to guess backers game region based on backers shipping address.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Avoid Shenmue III Kickstarter if you want to order a physical copy. fangamers is following Ys instructions to guess backers game region based on backers shipping address.
It doesn't matter, the backer campaign ended last fall. You can't order from them anymore.

The game is now available for preorder from all major game retailers.

---
In unrelated news, since it's probably worth cross-posting here for people who don't follow the modding community, a few weeks ago I started writing a tool that can convert music from the Dreamcast version of Shenmue 2 to be compatible with the PC version.

Two examples that I've posted videos of so far:

If you've played the original, you'll know this sounded wrong in the ports and never got fixed properly in patches.

Another example:

The second part of this cutscene had its own music in the Dreamcast version, which was missing on XBOX and the 2018 ports. Just dropping the converted track from the DC version in is enough to bring it back.

The tool is available here:
https://github.com/Shenmue-Mods/DTPKUtil/releases
You'll need to extract the Dreamcast files yourself then convert them and use a mod loader like Forklift and put them in the correct place. Not all files convert correctly yet, after playing through the first half of "disc 1" I would say about half are perfect. The ones that are still wrong just have instruments at the wrong pitch, which probably correspond to one of the unknown flags I had left to document and will be easy to fix if that is true. I'll push out another release in the next few days if that turns out to be correct.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Going to be honest Bowl0l, and I say this with sympathy because as you know I did try to ask Fangamer about your issue when they weren't replying to you, but you're going to be in a very small minority who have the specific problem regarding the region. The 10 countries with the most backers are across North America, Europe, and Japan - and they're not going to have the issue you're afraid of having with the digital add-on content.

There are probably perfectly legitimate reasons why they've defined shipping regions the way they have (logistics, etc), and not enough cases where this would be a problem for backers to completely revise their shipping plans or make exceptions. I'm not even 100% clear on your issue myself and whether it's a regional problem, a specific country's PSN store, whether it's an absolute guarantee there will be problems, etc.

I hope it works out for you all the same, even if they weren't able to provide an alternative region copy.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Oh maaaan I didn't realise we were so close!
Wow... after waiting for so long I weirdly feel a little unprepared.
I love how close they're keeping the game to their chests, I'm hoping to go into this as fresh as possible and they're making that easy so far.
(This sounds like a sly complaint but it's really not!)

Seeing that ending to 2 yet again... and then reaching over, putting 3 in and continuing on is going to be one of the most surreal things ever.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The Dojo is back online now everybody, FYI.

Also - Shenmue III has just been rated in Australia. In two weeks the games media will also be getting their hands on the E3 demo (sessions are apparently fully booked), so expect wall-to-wall impressions quite shortly, along with whatever else is planned to promote the game there.

Ziming

Jan 3, 2018
With bated breath fans await the August 27th 2019 release of Shenmue 3. Will it be a return to the series exactly as we remember it, or something different this time? Join Segalacious as he explores some reasons why Shenmue 3 may not be exactly what we've been expecting, and why that's okay.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Is there advice on how to proceed on getting a refund from KS?
I am doubtful that Ys is going to assist in getting the correct game region for me.
I am also doubtful that I can get a single cent back...

Last edited:

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
Is there advice on how to proceed on getting a refund from KS?
I am doubtful that Ys is going to assist in getting the correct game region for me.
I am also doubtful that I can get a single cent back...
i don't think you're getting a refund. how much did you donate?

from the FAQ
A pledge can only be cancelled while a project's funding period is still live.

Kickstarter does not issue refunds. Transactions are between backers and creators directly. To request a refund for a pledge, please contact the project creator

Kickstarter is not a store, it's a place where creators come together with backers to bring creative projects to life. Pledges on Kickstarter must be made in good faith.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think you're getting a refund. how much did you donate?

from the FAQ
A pledge can only be cancelled while a project's funding period is still live.

Kickstarter does not issue refunds. Transactions are between backers and creators directly. To request a refund for a pledge, please contact the project creator

Kickstarter is not a store, it's a place where creators come together with backers to bring creative projects to life. Pledges on Kickstarter must be made in good faith.
$500. Already aware of KS clause.
This is definitely my last KS.

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a mail from kickstarter, new release date for Shenmue 3 is now 19 November 2019. Honestly, I'm happy they take all the time they need to make the game as good as possible. And more time for a replay of 1+2 ;)

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$500. Already aware of KS clause.
This is definitely my last KS.
It's far from ideal, but if you can't get it resolved, you should be able to create a free PSN account in the region you receive the game for and use the DLC that way. Though I guess I don't know how available languages are handled.

I understand it's an edge case, but it's kind of crazy fangamer won't work with you on it.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It's far from ideal, but if you can't get it resolved, you should be able to create a free PSN account in the region you receive the game for and use the DLC that way. Though I guess I don't know how available languages are handled.

I understand it's an edge case, but it's kind of crazy fangamer won't work with you on it.
Code:
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:53 PM
To: *
Subject:Re: Shenmue 3 Region

Hey there *,

Fangamer has received guidance from Ys Net instructing us (Fangamer) to not request separate regions, and to only use the backer's country information. However, Ys Net will open region selection later and you will receive a separate email if you want to change it.
Best part is I sent my emails to fangamers from Dec 26, 2018 til Jan 3, 2019 but only get one reply. Really hope we all get something from the KS. Not surprised if they will cut corners.

fangamers survey still tie the game region to shipping address as of June 3, 2019. Still no reply from fangamers since February 26, 2019

Last edited:

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a mail from kickstarter, new release date for Shenmue 3 is now 19 November 2019. Honestly, I'm happy they take all the time they need to make the game as good as possible. And more time for a replay of 1+2 ;)
Yeah, now I need to apologize for insisting they wouldn't delay again since they've been content-complete since February. 🤷‍♂️

On the plus side, we'll probably get new footage in a week or so since press gets to play it. I mean, it's not a given, but seems to be a common occurrence now for the press to record their gameplay.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
On the plus side, we'll probably get new footage in a week or so since press gets to play it. I mean, it's not a given, but seems to be a common occurrence now for the press to record their gameplay.
Press aren't allowed to record the session, or so someone claimed in the thread on here about it. Which is apparently common, depending on the game.

I still think we'll see something? It'd be a shame not to use being at E3 for anything other than the ability to get a lot of press together at one event.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

We had Adam Koralik on our podcast, if anyone's interested.

I'm not convinced the poor Xbox sales were deliberate or the result of fewer regions. I think it was simply that gamers knew Shenmue III was a PC and PS4 exclusive years ahead of the HD release and interest naturally steered toward those platforms.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Did Ys ever show backers the rewards yet?
The game release date is August 27, 2019 November 19, 2019. Can Ys make it because we already see the retailers exclusives.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Did Ys ever show backers the rewards yet?
The game release date is August 27, 2019 November 19, 2019. Can Ys make it because we already see the retailers exclusives.
Yes. It has been mentioned in previous updates. Here is one of them: https://shenmue.link/post_en/1169/?en

There was one a couple years back where Yu was signing the autographed artwork for the backer collectors editions, and I believe one other one with content from that edition. Most of it was taken care of in the first year. As for showing a complete bundle of everything for each tier, no they have not shown everything yet.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It has been mentioned in previous updates. Here is one of them: https://shenmue.link/post_en/1169/?en

There was one a couple years back where Yu was signing the autographed artwork for the backer collectors editions, and I believe one other one with content from that edition. Most of it was taken care of in the first year. As for showing a complete bundle of everything for each tier, no they have not shown everything yet.
Thanks.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Ys outdone themselves. The delay is probably to negotiate a great deal for an Epic store exclusive.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like Epic paid whatever they paid (it better have been >$5m, or our boys got swindled) for a PR campaign, knowing that YsNet/shenmue 3 would take the brunt of the negative publicity. I don't get the feeling ysnet understands the negativity they've unleashed or how much it'll hurt sales, it probably looked like a win/win to them

Feels bad man

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I don't think Ys Net really would have their finger on the pulse over what going to EGS meant.

Deep Silver would though, and it would be pretty awful if they hadn't warned them. Passing the football over what it means for backer keys gives me the sinking feeling it was sold to Ys Net as a straight win - which I suppose it is in some respects despite the raging garbage fire happening on here and elsewhere; because a larger cut of sales and waiving the UE4 licencing fee makes it all the more easy to recoup the development cost and potentially steamroll right into making Shenmue IV.

It doesn't feel like anybody was looking out for them from a PR perspective though, or maybe someone was and was just overruled by business fuckery. It's early days, and a mediated solution may still present itself if the pressure continues. I think a lot hinges on clarification about what this means for backer keys, and in that respect I'm glad an answer hasn't made itself immediately present. Might give enough time to regroup and think of something - though I think the only way to even remotely make this better is to just honour the surveys and provide Steam keys for backers if there's the wiggle room in the EGS contract to do so.

Sadly there is already some character assassination of Yu Suzuki coming off of this, which is depressing considering the fans are basically in the forefront of his mind and have been since starting to make this happen even before the Kickstarter launched. They're the reason he pushes himself by working all night and catching up sleep with naps in the day, and really why he's basically lived at a game development studio for almost four years - and this is a freshly minted 61 year old man we're talking about. He's got nothing left to prove as a developer and could easily have spent the rest of his days in semi-retirement; even if it would be a waste of his creativity.

Digital distribution platform wars probably don't even register with him, because it's all about getting as close to the game we (and he) want before the release date. Just another casualty of aggressive business practices, unfortunately.