• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To be fair, Delin's VA is kinda bad in Japanese as well; the grunting is also really over the top in that version as well. And he is supposed to be a goofball character, kind of like Goro in Shenmue 1. Now there's a VA which I prefer in the English version, haha. Oh, and Chai's.

I find Shenmue 2 a beautiful game with the setting, I wouldn't want to ruin that with the English voice acting and call it acting is being generous. It makes it cloud cukoo land. Delin comes across as a nutcase who puts far too much of himself in moving boxes.

Ugh. I hate Delin's Japanese voice.

"Hrrrgnnngnggngngnininin"

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly, with Delin, you can't really win, both voices are bad. And the grunting in the English version got used in the soundtrack of an Indie game too. Haha.

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Continued playing for the entire day, I just couldn't put the controller down. I guess I'm in the last third of the game, because according to a trophy guide, all trophies but one I'm still missing are tied to story progression. Surprisingly easy Platinum, even for a newcomer.

I got the job at the docks and am currently trying to figure out what the deal is with the Mad Angels.

The journey up to this point is great, especially since I decided to never look up a guide, should I get stuck. It's so rewarding to just talk to the people, getting familiar with the locals and beginning to know who might have an answer to my questions. I also like how things just keep moving, every day there is something new to do, some new location to explore, someone new to meet.

There were two situations, though, where I wished I could speed up time and I really cannot get into the fighting system at all. I can barely survive encounters with two to three enemies. I never feel like I'm in full control of Ryo, when it matters the most. So I'm actually kinda glad that fighting isn't a strong focus in the first one. I think I'll finish it within the next couple of days, can't wait to play more of it!

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Continued playing for the entire day, I just couldn't put the controller down. I guess I'm in the last third of the game, because according to a trophy guide, all trophies but one I'm still missing are tied to story progression. Surprisingly easy Platinum, even for a newcomer.

I got the job at the docks and am currently trying to figure out what the deal is with the Mad Angels.

The journey up to this point is great, especially since I decided to never look up a guide, should I get stuck. It's so rewarding to just talk to the people, getting familiar with the locals and beginning to know who might have an answer to my questions. I also like how things just keep moving, every day there is something new to do, some new location to explore, someone new to meet.

There were two situations, though, where I wished I could speed up time and I really cannot get into the fighting system at all. I can barely survive encounters with two to three enemies. I never feel like I'm in full control of Ryo, when it matters the most. So I'm actually kinda glad that fighting isn't a strong focus in the first one. I think I'll finish it within the next couple of days, can't wait to play more of it!

After you beat it you can unlock a mode that lets you practice the free battles as much as you like. :)

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
So how many of you old school fans are going English first on your return?
I will. I have not heard the English voices for Shenmue II in an especially long time, so it is going to be interesting hearing them back to back. After that I imagine most of my playthroughs will be in Japanese.

The first game sort of expects you to practice on your moves every now and then. If you take out some time to focus on them, much of the fights become a lot easier than you would expect.

Shenmue II's combat is much more enjoyable and for the most part much easier.

Also, how does the fighting feel with the analog stick? Can you still use the dpad in fights without directly setting it to the original style?

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After you beat it you can unlock a mode that lets you practice the free battles as much as you like. :)
Good to know, will definitely make use of it. I dread every encounter and going by the trophy list, there seems to be a big one coming up towards the end. I hope it won't be too frustrating.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am going to play the first with English VA, despite never playing it in Japanese before. Its nostalgia and the somewhat low voice quality kind of contributes to the 80's action flick atmosphere.

The English VA of the second game was horrendous, I beat the Xbox version once and it was worse than Shenmue 1. I was used to the Dreamcast version so the nostalgia lies with the JP track here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Another thing is that if you practice your moves in the dojo or parking lot you can see your proficiency level go up on each one. When you pass a certain threshold the move will level up and the animation when Ryo performs it will change to a more bad ass/effective form.

Though I've heard a couple people saying that the move levelling may be bugged. So maybe you'd need that day one patch in order for the moves to level up. Not sure.

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The first game sort of expects you to practice on your moves every now and then. If you take out some time to focus on them, much of the fights become a lot easier than you would expect.

Shenmue II's combat is much more enjoyable and for the most part much easier.

Also, how does the fighting feel with the analog stick? Can you still use the dpad in fights without directly setting it to the original style?
I go out of my way to practice whenever I have to wait, so I already "mastered" a lot of techniques. The problem is, that doing a combo against the air is nothing like being surrounded by two or three guys, who might attack me together. I really don't have a feel for timing in a real battle, because so far I've only fought against multiple enemies like four or five times.
You can use the dpad and it's what I prefer to use in battle. Analog stick is fine, just doesn't feel as precise as the dpad.

Fighting against Chai was already a nightmare, and I have to face him again? I can only hope for the best...

Is there a trophy guide?
I have this one bookmarked.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
First time I played Shenmue today, it starts off super slow and the controls are quite poor but the game had me intrigued and before I knew it, I had been playing for 3 hours. Just hope it gets more exciting later on

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to play this again on Tuesday. Played the first game and got to the docks on Dreamcast but once this was rumored i stopped playing. Took longer than i thought but worth it.

Idk whether i will pick up the copy i pre ordered at my gamestop or get it from Best Buy. I'd feel bad cancelling on my gamestop since they need the pre orders and are very nice but my gcu doesn't end until January so,....

Oct 30, 2017
I have no recollection of finding the second one's dub significantly worse when I played it back in the day. I think I was sort of inured to the quality of Shenmue dubs after growing accustomed during the first game. It's funny how something so integral to a game had no impact on my long-held belief that Shenmue 2 is the greatest game ever.

Dec 20, 2017
The very first trailer I ever downloaded was for the original Dreamcast Shenmue. It took hours over my 28K dial up modem for what was probably no more than a 30-second clip, but I watched it over and over again. The animation for the time was just unreal to me. Glad this will have an official release on PC for posterity.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the guy they found off the street to originally do his voice called in sick and they had to have the janitor do it instead.
I have always thought of Shenmue as what a white person would hear if they went to Japan and barely spoke Japanese and spoke even less Cantonese and that's what they hear. And I swear Corey Marshall recorded "My name is" "Ryo" and "Hazuki" in different sound clips and they piece it together through the ENTIRE SERIES.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Fighting against Chai was already a nightmare, and I have to face him again? I can only hope for the best...
The first Chai fight is meant to be intensely overwhelming and while you can beat it, most people never have. The next fight with him is much easier.

Don't they offer Modern Merkan controls in the game?

It's great!
The modern controls are just the trigger and dpad controls mapped to the left stick and the right stick moves your head. So it is only really modernized in the sense they make use of current controllers better.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First time I played Shenmue today, it starts off super slow and the controls are quite poor but the game had me intrigued and before I knew it, I had been playing for 3 hours. Just hope it gets more exciting later on

Third disk had the most action. (Not sure if this release tells you when you are on what would have been a new disk)

Shenmue 2 is like 10x bigger and way more eventful. But still, I like the slow and cozy style of Shenmue I.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I sadly never finished shenmue 1 on Dreamcast. Reached some 100 man brawl and couldn't get past it and quit. Did finish shenmue 2 on Dreamcast though. Can't wait to play both again. Should have them tomorrow.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So I have ordered the PS4 and Steam versions of this. I probably will keep the PS4 in it's plastic just to have it. I will wait for a mod to come out to let me fast forward time before playing it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maybe I should finally play this. The low price tag is enticing. My only experience with this series is watching Giant Bomb's Endurance Run of the first game.

fire boylt

Oct 27, 2017
The first Chai fight is meant to be intensely overwhelming and while you can beat it, most people never have. The next fight with him is much easier.

The modern controls are just the trigger and dpad controls mapped to the left stick and the right stick moves your head. So it is only really modernized in the sense they make use of current controllers better.
I hope I can use classic controls and use r2 to walk/run

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Shenmue still holds the record in terms of how long I've played a game in a single sitting without breaks. I was in college at the time, and I figured that I'd play a bit of Shenmue before going to bed. It was 11 p.m. when I started, and it was 7 a.m. the next morning the next time I looked at the clock. No breaks. It's not super-exciting or anything, but it can really grab you without you noticing it. It does get more exciting later on, but I have to say that Shenmue is one of the few games that I actually just enjoy going around and talking to people in. Deadly Premonition is another game like that. I don't quite know what to expect from Shenmue III, and I never really got into Shenmue II. I think Deadly Premonition out-Shenmued Shenmue in the best possible way.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
So I have ordered the PS4 and Steam versions of this. I probably will keep the PS4 in it's plastic just to have it. I will wait for a mod to come out to let me fast forward time before playing it.
The fast loading times make waiting around a lot more tolerable. If feels like much less of a hassle to walk into a store or go exploring in another area.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What's in patch 1.01? Maybe add that info to OT?
Patch 1.01 has
- Stability improvements
- Audio playback fixes
- UI usability improvements
- Graphical errors addressed

I saw some glitch videos for this game, but they were probably before the patch. I played Shenmue for almost 4 hours and had 0 glitches

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
Love this series. When I was in Hong Kong once I had a morning to kill so I took a bus to Aberdeen, walked around for a bit (there is nothing to do there) and took a bus back. I also went with a couple of friends to yokosuka a while ago before there was an official map or guide or whatever. I think the only major location I haven't been to us guilin. Someday. And I guess Kowloon walled city because it doesn't exist. I have been to kowloon though.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Love this series. When I was in Hong Kong once I had a morning to kill so I took a bus to Aberdeen, walked around for a bit (there is nothing to do there) and took a bus back. I also went with a couple of friends to yokosuka a while ago before there was an official map or guide or whatever. I think the only major location I haven't been to us guilin. Someday. And I guess Kowloon walled city because it doesn't exist. I have been to kowloon though.
There are some awesome old photos of the walled city like thesehttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com.au/kowloon-walled-city-photos-2015-2/amp although I feel like shenmue 2 shows a more brighter cleaner version or maybe that how it did really look in its better days

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Patch 1.01 has
- Stability improvements
- Audio playback fixes
- UI usability improvements
- Graphical errors addressed

I saw some glitch videos for this game, but they were probably before the patch. I played Shenmue for almost 4 hours and had 0 glitches

...do y'all want patch notes in the OT? i'm easy like sunday morning, just lemme know

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they do a patch for Ps4Pro / OneX support to boost the native res further than 1080p. Wonder what the max res is on PC.

Last edited:

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

If you're referring to the glitched cutscene videos being posted in this thread over the weekend they were all being played with version 1.01 of the game, at least when playing on the PS4. The patch was there on Saturday when a lot of people over here in the UK received the game.