• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also hates Yoshi's Island.
I had completely forgotten about that.
cPMJbvq.gif

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Nice OT, I'm really looking forward to impressions of first time players.

Like, I love the game, but let's be honestly, it's really old and clunky, so I'm looking forward to what new players think of it. If they can appreciate the insane amount of hand crafted work that went into it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Q: How many chapters will this series include?

A. Shenmue II alone is supposed to be several "chapters", but Suzuki has already said the series proper won't tie up with part III. Hopefully IV? We'll see!

I am just slightly concerned about III not hitting sales marks and we're back to another cliffhanger. ;_;

Is this news though? It's the first I heard about III not being the conclusion.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just spent the first day buying toy capsules. By the time I was done everywhere was closed.

Feels good to be back.

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
So happy that I will finally be playing these games.

I was 12 years old when the original released, and from reading magazines at the time I was aware of Shenmue as being this huge budget epic which was supposedly kind of unlike anything else out there at the time.

I really wanted to play it but at that point I was in a strictly 'one console' household and had a PlayStation and with the PS2 known to be imminent I didn't get a Dreamcast. By the time I had my own disposable income to get one years later both Shenmue games were expensive enough that I hesitated. That didn't stop me getting caught up in the hype and kickstarting 3 though so I had been hoping an HD port would happen.

I kind of know what to expect with the original going in as I watch the Giant Bomb endurance run but I know nothing about the sequel and can't wait to dig in.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I contributed to the kickstarter for the 3rd game without evening playing a bit of any of the previous games.
I can't wait to finally give it a shot (I'm going to finish it even if I hate it)

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, but just knowing that my copy is in the post somewhere has given me some serious nostalgic feelings of poring over screenshots of Dreamcast launch games, cicra 1998.

Haven't played Shenmue since 2012 when I had my DC upside down to try and help it read the disc better. Really looking forward to diving in again, this is a true classic.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Just got my copy. Downloading a 1.01 patch for the first game right now.

Edit - There's a little poster inside the case lol. In this day and age where you tend to get nothing inside the box, that's something I guess.

Nov 21, 2017
Brings back a lot of memories I was in high-school when Shenmue 2 came out, and it was magnificent. A couple of my friends were ( also ) really into the first Shenmue, so it was a constant "have you heard about the MAAAAAAD Angels" between us.

I am definitely getting this for Xbox. Not sure if it is a day one purchase, though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful OP - can't believe I'll be walking the streets of Yokosuka in a few days. Incredible.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue II is one of the best games ever. Sparring in the beautiful districts of Hong Kong feels so poignant, something about Kowloon feels so sad and the last act is something else entirely.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For those who are interested, I listed the file sizes for both games on PS4 and Xbox One here: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/77569-shenmue-1-et-2-decouvrez-le-poids-des-deux-jeux-sur-ps4-et-x

Also, I don't know if this is already known but Shenmue I & II but doesn't have a common main menu on which you select which game to play. When you insert the disc version, you have an individual instal for each game.

I haven't looked at Shenmue II's Trophies/Achievements yet but Shenmue's Plat should be pretty easy to get.

Can't say what I think about the games yet but I'm curious to see all the reviews...

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
For those who are interested, I listed the file sizes for both games on PS4 and Xbox One here: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/77569-shenmue-1-et-2-decouvrez-le-poids-des-deux-jeux-sur-ps4-et-x

Also, I don't know if this is already known but Shenmue I & II but doesn't have a common main menu on which you select which game to play. When you insert the disc version, you have an individual instal for each game.

I haven't looked at Shenmue II's Trophies/Achievements yet but Shenmue's Plat should be pretty easy to get.

Can't say what I think about the games yet but I curious to see all the reviews...
When does the embargo lift?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm night shitting on it. I couldn't finish Lightning Returns properly because of the time mechanic so I just gave up.
Now that I know it's not a problem in this game it seems. What is the trophy list like? Anyone got a link to it? Will the time mechanic affect getting everything in the trophy list?

I think the latest I ever finished the game is the in game month of January and that was me trying to do a full play through. The bad ending happens at the end of April (I think).

Like someone else said, I've never heard of anyone getting the bad ending without trying to. There's a point in the game where you can keep screwing up a task intentionally and it will take you to the next day right away. This is how people trying to get the bad ending usually do it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Thr bad ending is more of an easter egg if you leave your Dreamc... on all over night. You wouldn't know about it if no one told you.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Shopto came through and mine got delivered today. I can't wait to play this again. I haven't played it since it got released on the Dreamcast.

Rave_norris

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I contributed to the kickstarter for the 3rd game without evening playing a bit of any of the previous games.
I can't wait to finally give it a shot (I'm going to finish it even if I hate it)

"Hey mister!" They are easily one of the best games ever made. Even with the "clunky" controls i think it holds up pretty well.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Thr bad ending is more of an easter egg if you leave your Dreamc... on all over night. You wouldn't know about it if no one told you.

Leaving your Dreamcast on overnight will only get you stuck inside Ryo bedroom, you wont even pass a day.

The most effective way to get the bad ending is :

To continuously fail the QTE to get inside old warehouse N°8

Nov 4, 2017
Back in the day, I beat Shenmue I and proceeded to II (on DC), but stopped right after making it to the top of a building where you walk on planks (worst QTEs ever).

I wonder if I should get this and play part II only...

Oct 25, 2017
Never played or watched anything about these games really, but gonna buy it and see what it's about.

Do I need to know anything before diving in?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Never played or watched anything about these games really, but gonna buy it and see what it's about.

Do I need to know anything before diving in?
If you don't like the first, you might like the second, it feels more modern, faster pacing, big open world and a lot more action. The first feels like a slow prologue in a small town with charming details.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Great OP!

I still can't believe that this is actually happening. I have so many fond memories of playing Shenmue I and II. I hope I can recreate those feelings I had back in the day. They're magical games and I cannot wait to immerse myself again with them.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Will there be a Steam preload?

Not that I need it, but it's curious that Xbox One and PS4 get a preload and Steam doesn't

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP!

I still can't believe that this is actually happening. I have so many fond memories of playing Shenmue I and II. I hope I can recreate those feelings I had back in the day. They're magical games and I cannot wait to immerse myself again with them.
Nothing can recreate those feelings again, when Shenmue came out, the graphics were ahead of everything, characters even had teeth! There's still plenty to love about these game though, I wish more games had as detailed NPCs scheldules, being able to follow bus timetables, phone numbers and calendas. Those awesome details.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never owned a Dreamcast so never got to experience Shenmue 1. Looking forward to changing that soon!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Played 1 a ton and never played 2. So excited to play through both and finally find out what happens after that ending of 1.