• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Like I said, it just resets the current rep count. You get EXP every 10 reps (during the first half) and then every 20 reps (during the second half). Not sure if those are the exact numbers but that's the general idea.

So, if you do 25 reps of a move and then check the command list, you'll get 2 EXP points for that move because you did 2 complete sets of 10 reps each, but the last 5 reps you did will be thrown out and wasted.

You could confirm this visually in the DC version if you were a habitual progress checker.

Ah ok. So just don't go nuts with the checking of the list and you'll be fine.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh by the way if anyone is interested, my co-host Andrew and I did an episode of our Shenmue podcast with our first thoughts on this release as well as the new Shenmue 3 trailer.

I mention that I've been spending just as much time here helping along new players as I have been playing the game. Haha.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, it just resets the current rep count. You get EXP every 10 reps (during the first half) and then every 20 reps (during the second half). Not sure if those are the exact numbers but that's the general idea.

So, if you do 25 reps of a move and then check the command list, you'll get 2 EXP points for that move because you did 2 complete sets of 10 reps each, but the last 5 reps you did will be thrown out and wasted.

You could confirm this visually in the DC version if you were a habitual progress checker.

Ah ok. So just don't go nuts with the checking of the list and you'll be fine.
Oh, yeah, now it sounds much more like an intentional design decision rather than a bug.

Btw, I forgot to meet Charlie in front of the Arcade at 3pm. Did I miss out on anything?

Now my only lead is this letter in Chinese I got from Ine-san.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, yeah, now it sounds much more like an intentional design decision rather than a bug.

Btw, I forgot to meet Charlie in front of the Arcade at 3pm. Did I miss out on anything?

Now my only lead is this letter in Chinese I got from Ine-san.

I believe you missed a free battle where you get ambushed maybe?

And with so few in the first game, you may want to go back and do it if you enjoy them/want the practice. But it's not necessary.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I believe you missed a free battle where you get ambushed maybe?

And with so few in the first game, you may want to go back and do it if you enjoy them/want the practice. But it's not necessary.
Nah I'll keep going since I saved on my main game already.

Wait, I think I already did this actually. I remember meeting a guy at the Arcade, and he took me to the parking lot, where I got ambushed by some guys. I think that was it.

Guess I can move on to the Russya-Chinese shop who's grandmother knows Kanji.

Oct 26, 2017
I apparently missed a scene in the park with early on with Nozomi. Does this affect anything story wise during the rest of the game or in Shenmue 2?

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Both Shenmue games have an amazing cast of characters, but can we all take a minute to appreciate how incredible and badass Xiuying is from Shenmue II?

W72t6nGl.jpg

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can't continue in the arcade games in Shenmue IIRC, it's one credit per play, but it's set to the mode where you get 4 lives per credit.

I honestly wasted like a month in Shenmue playing Space Harrier and Hang On daily when I first played it. I stretched the money grinding portion out so long, because I'd blow all my money in the arcades on those two games. I fucking love both Space Harrier and Hang On, and especially Outrun. Those are all games I've loved and played since I was a very little boy:

DQkSdEuUEAAeuLL.jpg

Are both games to hard to 1cc?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Both Shenmue games have an amazing cast of characters, but can we all take a minute to appreciate how incredible and badass Xiuying is from Shenmue II?

W72t6nGl.jpg

She's my favorite for sure.

I want a Shenmue Zero to come out where we play as her and learn how she got so badass. She's the only other character besides Ryo that gets flashback scenes so she must be important, right?

tumblr_nrch9srxhl1tam7nbo2_400.gif

damn there's a bug with excite qte 2. for some reason it doesn't recognize up on the d-pad

Yeah it's a known bug. I saw someone on the Dojo say that if you hit right when it says up, that should work.

I apparently missed a scene in the park with early on with Nozomi. Does this affect anything story wise during the rest of the game or in Shenmue 2?

No, it doesn't affect the second game. In the first game I think there may be a certain rare scene with Nozomi that hinges on you experiencing previous scenes with her, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Credit to the new UI, especially the Gatcha collectables having the silhouettes for the toys you haven't collected yet.
I'll be able to focus and maybe finally get a full collection. It always seemed like too much work in the original game and I wasn't willing to consult a guide.

Loving my playthrough. One problem I've had is that I couldn't activate the flashback in the dojo where Ryo talks to his dad about getting in a fight at school.
I don't think there were any special conditions for it - but I did grab the hidden scroll very early in the game. So maybe I've locked myself out of that scene.

As much as I played Shenmue back on Dreamcast (over 10 playthroughs), I never read up on a lot of the playthrough techniques for triggering certain scenes. I just tried different things each time I played.

The Xbox achievements pop up over the subtitles, so fair warning to anyone playing on that system for the first time and using Japanese voices. YOu might miss a line or 2 every now and then.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I swear more than half the cutscenes in Shenmue don't work right now on the PS4. How did they release it like this?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait. What happened? I finished the first game and after the credits the save screen (I think) flashed for a second and I got sent back to the home menu. When I press continue my last save is from 25 minutes ago. Does this mean I have to play through the ending again?

edit 2: The save file shows up as non-cleared in Shenmue II. I did get the trophy for completing the game though.

edit:

I swear more than half the cutscenes in Shenmue don't work right now on the PS4. How did they release it like this?

Just finished the first game and I had no issue with cutscenes at all. The only thing that stood out to me was when Ryo was offered a can of coke in a café and the gulping sound kept playing after he finished his coke.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I'm playing on the PS4 too, and I'm close to the end and only had one cutscene being weird for me, where Ryo and Fuku-san were talking and the camera wasn't looking at them but up in the sky or something. Pretty much the only issue I had with the game too, really pleased with how it runs.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on the PS4 too, and I'm close to the end and only had one cutscene being weird for me, where Ryo and Fuku-san were talking and the camera wasn't looking at them but up in the sky or something. Pretty much the only issue I had with the game too, really pleased with how it runs.
I wonder what causes the issues because most of the cutscenes have done the thing where it focuses on something other than the characters and I'm just left to listen. Both major and minor cutscenes.

Oct 27, 2017
Switched from English to Japanese and while i love how bad the English VA is, the Japanese VA is so much more tolerable.

I just met master Chen and i think I'm half way through the game? Never got past the first few days on the job with the forklift on the third disc on Dreamcast so i feel like i'm Getting through this version pretty fast.

I am using a guide to make sure i get the platinum on my first play through tho so maybe that's helping.

I won't do that for shenmue 2, i'll Take it all new since I've never played it before. Shenmue 1 is finished like 75% on dc before dropping it so its nice to finish it finally, or it will be. Trying to finish 1 before kiwami 2 on Tuesday

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
PSA this has a glitch when you beat Shenmue 1 that can cause the save menu to appear and inmediately disappear thus not allowing you to save the game after beating it to transfer data to shenmue 2

this just happened to me now I have to do the ending again

I'm so mad, I'll do it tomorrow, going to bed

fuck my life

and no it wasn't my fault, I am 100% sure I didn't press any inputs and this happened to some other dude in the steam forums

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
So I've finally ran into some bugs, mostly audio ones, where a sound effect just loops. One time in Dobuita all I could hear is the motorcycle engine nonstop and it basically drowns out all other sound effects and the music, super annoying.

Never ran into any cutscene bugs yet so I guess I am lucky, but still sucks to see so many people experiencing bugs. Really shouldn't happen for such an old game, they should have took more time to fix these problems instead of relying on patches after release.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, Shenmue II has a ton more cutscenes and action than Shenmue I. I'm not even that far in, just learnt the final Wude.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a question: with some games, you can download the Japanese version of the game if you have Japanese language settings on. (for example, Overwatch) Is this the case with Shenmue? I'd really like to try playing it in its native language. I know it's a longshot, but...

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first one once again. First time on a modern console. I can't even put to words how emotional I get with this game. It's an absolute masterpiece.

I think the one thing I wish the most is that Ryo return home at the end of his journey. It would be amazing seeing how everything changes, new graphics, Fuku-san a master...

It doesn't even need to have a part of the story there, just Ryo going back home.

Greatest game ever made. Period.

I've got a question: with some games, you can download the Japanese version of the game if you have Japanese language settings on. (for example, Overwatch) Is this the case with Shenmue? I'd really like to try playing it in its native language. I know it's a longshot, but...
Just change the audio settings. It gives you the option for English and Japanese dub with subtitles in quite a few languages.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Does anyone else never use the travel skip? I always like to walk/run to the place in real-time, I also don't want to miss any scenes.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something here?

Completely new to the series, but it seems like I just walk my Ryo-tank around, talk to people, kill time in arcade while waiting for the next "right time" to talk to other person, with sporadic fights mixed-in. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually having a pretty good time and actually enjoy the QTE sequences but y'all acting like the game changed your life.

I can definitely see this being more impactful in '99, and I think playing the Yakuza games probably spoiled this for me since they have the atmosphere, and story but much better combat and you can actually do stuff/buy from most of the vendors.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something here?

Completely new to the series, but it seems like I just walk my Ryo-tank around, talk to people, kill time in arcade while waiting for the next "right time" to talk to other person, with sporadic fights mixed-in. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually having a pretty good time and actually enjoy the QTE sequences but y'all acting like the game changed your life.

I can definitely see this being more impactful in '99, and I think playing the Yakuza games probably spoiled this for me since they have the atmosphere, and story but much better combat and you can actually do stuff/buy from most of the vendors.

You're not missing anything. But like you say, the game is nigh on 20 years old. There was nothing quite like it back then.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first one, I was clearly a lot more forgiving in my youth as there were some parts that were quite a chore. Don't think I've ever enjoyed QTE sequences.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Could you save scum in the original, or was that added only to this release? (meaning, save anywhere)

CJShields

Oct 27, 2017
PSA this has a glitch when you beat Shenmue 1 that can cause the save menu to appear and inmediately disappear thus not allowing you to save the game after beating it to transfer data to shenmue 2

this just happened to me now I have to do the ending again

I'm so mad, I'll do it tomorrow, going to bed

fuck my life

and no it wasn't my fault, I am 100% sure I didn't press any inputs and this happened to some other dude in the steam forums

I had something similar happen.

I let the credits role and by the time the save screen came up my DualShock disconnected from the PS4. When I connected it again the game just refused to accept that the controller had reconnected, so it wouldn't take any button input. Had to close the game entirely and redo the last day.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
damn i'm gonna have to settle for the miniatures for hang on and space harrier instead of the certificates. Can't beat these games

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've played Shenmue II several times since it launched. Partly because it's on Xbox and partly because it's more accessable as a game. So I was a bit nervous when I got the re-release of both games and replayed Shenmue for the first time in many years. Luckily, it's still a good game. It's still very special, and it reminds me of my 18 year old self sitting in my room "living" Ryo's life.

Sure, the voice acting was atrocious already in 1999 and the controls still makes me a bit dizzy. BUt the core of the game, the mystery solving, the environments with all the people going about their lifes, opening their shops, taking up the umbrella when it rains, closing the shops and walking home in the early evening and so on. Dobuita is very much alive.

So yes, what this new release does is remind me of how special Shenmue was and still is.