• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 20, 2018
Wow, amazing post. So a company (hired to bring on new console two old games) can just decide out of the blue"well, let's just remake Shenmue 1 and 2" in your opinion? Is this Wodnerland?
Way to go and pretend you didn't understand the point.

d3t pitched the project to SEGA and SEGA accepted it. However, by "SEGA". people mean many things. What really happened was that SEGA UK got into talks with d3t - also a British company. The talks were initiated by d3t because they wanted to make a Shenmue remake. SEGA UK accepted their proposal and asked SEGA Japan for the Shenmue archives, which they were given. Since it was a UK project, however, SEGA Japan simply passed the archives. It wasn't their project. Of course they wouldn't be flying over to the UK just to check on their British branch. Obviously, SEGA Japan didn't even know who d3t is. It was all done in good faith. They assumed it must be a good enough developer if the UK branch hired them. They were wrong, which was uncovered when it was already too late for the Western release. SEGA Japan could only push back their own release, which they did. Kasahara also started to talk with d3t about the patches and they obviously must have been very difficulty to work with if Kasahara bashed them publicly.

Stop pretending you don't understand that the various branches at SEGA operate as separate companies. They work on their own. Nobody in Japan is going to babysit a different branch.

BTW, I hate your tone when you say that Kasahara was "bullshitting" people in a public interview. No, he wasn't. Have some respect for the man who co-created Shenmue. If he said d3t didn't want to fix the ports and he had to fight with them over it, I believe him. He would never say something like that if it wasn't the sad truth.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Also, please note how Kasahara publicly said that d3t didn't want to fix the broken ports and he had to fight with them over it. In other words, d3t pushed out broken ports after their full remake project turned out impossible and wanted to call it a day.
If you honestly think d3t wanted to release a buggy game and "call it a day" after putting in so much time and effort into the project then I don't know what to say. If d3t ever told Kasahara they couldn't do something it'd be for one reason only: they weren't given enough time. Again, this is the publishers fault for making them release in August, not the developer.

There's clearly no reasoning with your warped perception of this. I suspect you'll continue to beat your drum at every opportunity, but just know that with each post you sound more and more like a conspiracy theorist.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The patch is in beta, dude -- it hasn't been released to the public. Stop stinking up this OT with your d3t vendetta.

Anyone still playing these now all the huge AAA games are out? I've been holding off until I have a good chunk of time to dedicate to them (young kids make it difficult) but lately the Shenmue III hype has been getting the better of me and I've been so tempted to start...if it was just on Switch I would've finished them both by now.

Apr 20, 2018
The patch is in beta, dude -- it hasn't been released to the public. Stop stinking up this OT with your d3t vendetta.
Your pro-d3t activism is pitiful. That's one thing. Another one is - you won't be telling people what to write.

This is a state of utter incompetence. At this point, it's obviously the fault of both the publisher and developer.

The developer had more than enough time to do straight HD ports and they failed. They are releasing patches which need patching themselves, for over two months now. Most people moved away from this release, which is proved by SteamSpy Estimations. The console players had been treated like a lower class despite paying the same price for this release and actually buying more copies than Steam users (only 20K according to SteamSpy Estimations).

The publisher, at this point, should have switched developers. It's what Konami did with The 2nd Runner HD when it was obvious the first developer couldn't deliver a quality product.

Deleted member 10273

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone still playing these now all the huge AAA games are out? I've been holding off until I have a good chunk of time to dedicate to them (young kids make it difficult) but lately the Shenmue III hype has been getting the better of me and I've been so tempted to start...if it was just on Switch I would've finished them both by now.

I decided to wait for the patch on PS4 which isn't a huge deal for me. I waited so long for this, what's a few more months? Having a backlog, Spider-Man and RDR2 certainly helps as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

I've just about managed to hold off. I'm waiting until December so I can do my most yearly ritual of playing them in December to go with the games setting (its still my favourite Xmas game). Plus I think the chances of it getting patched again are pretty high due to the Japanese launch for the PS4 just round the corner.

Apr 20, 2018
The problem is that the current developer can't fix it for over two months. Yes, they try. There had been 6 patches on Steam, but guess what? They didn't fix any of the glaring issues yet. Alleviated some at best. The Dreamcast MIDI music is still messed up in both games - just less messed up than on version 1.0. Patch 5 was supposed to fix the moves training and it only made Shenmue II crash when you're training moves during the street fighting + throws training is glitched in Shenmue I.

There's a lot of other on-going issues which they didn't even attempt to fix. Shenmue I has broken hitboxes. There's no analogue controls (which were present in the 2002 Xbox port of Shenmue II). Sound effects are all messed up across both games (especially in I, though). Plus, now it turns out they had broken cutscenes in Shenmue I with the latest beta patch.

One word: incompetence. We're waiting for them to fix this mess, but they obviously are over their heads.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's what betas are for, ironing out issues. A beta, by its very definition, is not final. Why do you think they release beta patches and discourage people from opting in unless they're having issues and/or want to help out?

Wait a minute...are you the guy that got banned several times for going on about the re-releases having an incorrect aspect ratio...and, even though you were proven to be flat-out wrong, you kept coming back again and again to derail the thread!?

That would explain a lot.

I'm with shadowman16...I'm thinking playing in December and cranking the air con will be a good way to make it feel like Christmas here in Aus.

Apr 20, 2018
Holy shit that video is hilarious. Floating letter!

At least it fucked with the cutscenes in a new way.
Hi. My name is Fox Mulder. I worked for the FBI. Sir, I've been lead to believe you are in possession of a flying letter, possibly of extraterrestrial origin?

Ryo: I see.

Wait a minute...are you the guy that got banned several times for going on about the re-releases having an incorrect aspect ratio...and, even though you were proven to be flat-out wrong, you kept coming back again and again to derail the thread!?
Your internet vigilantism needs to stop. Dreamcast legacy aspect ratio is not 4:3. The game should have an option to recreate the original CRT look. That's how the game was initially designed and it even carried over to the Xbox port where Ryo is also leaner if the console is running on a typical CRT. Games back then had all sorts of weird resolutions and overscan solutions. That's why PS1 Classics have black borders on left and right on HD displays. Some people moaned about that to Sony, but Sony simply decided to emulate the games exactly as they run on real hardware. These being HD ports and not emulation, it can be argued that stretching everything to 4:3 was a choice since it would be weird to most people if they had left the atypical display resolution from CRTs back in the day. This has nothing to with the plethora of bugs and the pathetic state of d3t programming, so stop trying to change the subject and acting like a spokesperson for this failed release. Also, LOL @ trying to convince people that introducing new game-breaking bugs via patches two months after release is a normal practice. This release is in shambles and the fact they need to use Steam's beta branch and user feedback is exactly the proof that you're the one who needs a reality check here.

Last edited:

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
That's what betas are for, ironing out issues. A beta, by its very definition, is not final. Why do you think they release beta patches and discourage people from opting in unless they're having issues and/or want to help out?

That would explain a lot.

I'm with shadowman16...I'm thinking playing in December and cranking the air con will be a good way to make it feel like Christmas here in Aus.

You should just ignore the negativity, there's no point in arguing with people who won't see reason.

Personally I think these ports are great, especially given the circumstances. And despite some odd issues here and there the loading times, and transfering over your save files from 1-2 makes these versions the superior versions to me.

Not to mention it's a damn near miracle we even got Shenmue rereleases at all, let alone Shenmue 3. I don't understand how people can be so ungrateful sometimes. The games are certainly playable, especially after the recent public patches. The only reason I haven't gotten around to finishing Shenmue 2 again is this crazy amount of new games coming out.

Not saying you can't point out faults in products, but man people always gravitate towards the negative aspects of these things.

Apr 20, 2018
Not saying you can't point out faults in products, but man people always gravitate towards the negative aspects of these things.
No, people expected 1:1 ports of the Dreamcast/Xbox games and they didn't have any of these absurd bugs and broken audio. Also, a developer like M2 would be capable of delivering just that. Instead, we have some low-profile developer dragging these games through the dirt for over two months now, pissing off even one of the original creators. Maybe understand the negativity here was created by d3t instead of telling everybody to wear rose-tinted glasses?

Last edited:

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You should just ignore the negativity, there's no point in arguing with people who won't see reason.

I know, it's basically trolling at this point. That was my final reply -- I'm going to stop feeding the flames.

I too like to look on the bright side of things and also be realistic about the series' situation. It was completely dead in the water for over a decade and now we're back in business.

I can't help but think the obsessed, vitriolic fans among us are going to have a genuine meltdown when Shenmue III comes out and isn't exactly what they want it to be.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I know, it's basically trolling at this point. That was my final reply -- I'm going to stop feeding the flames.

I too like to look on the bright side of things and also be realistic about the series' situation. It was completely dead in the water for over a decade and now we're back in business.

I can't help but think the obsessed, vitriolic fans among us are going to have a genuine meltdown when Shenmue III comes out and isn't exactly what they want it to be.

I honestly don't know how Shenmue III will turn out, I'm just excited to play whatever kind of game it turns out to be. I would be okay if it was more of the same formula from 1 & 2, but if it turns the series on it's head I'm down for that also.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I honestly don't know how Shenmue III will turn out, I'm just excited to play whatever kind of game it turns out to be. I would be okay if it was more of the same formula from 1 & 2, but if it turns the series on it's head I'm down for that also.
Me too -- I'm actually more excited than ever for Shenmue III. The release date announcement (that was a full year away at the time) gave me a lot of confidence that the game's getting the time and resources it needs. I don't think Deep Silver would've given them another year if they didn't see serious potential in Shenmue III.

Initially I was concerned we'd get a severely stripped down version of Yu Suzuki's vision, and I would've been fine with that as our only option, but I no longer think that's the case.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Niao Sun is in 3, right? Been waiting to meet her for almost 20 fucking years. She looks so cool.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. IIRC they mentioned that III would introduce the 3 other leades of the Chi You Min. Even in a blurry vid from 20 years ago she looks cool as hell.

I think we are definitely getting Niao Sun for sure in 3, but not sure about the rest (well, aside from Lan Di as well). I wonder if they'll just have those two aside from the other shown "boss" like looking characters rather than trying to stuff too much into the game story/character wise. As are there 4 or 5 "big" bosses for the Chi You Men? 4 leaders and then one leader of all leaders. Kinda hope we can get a 4th Shenmue game to delve into the characters properly.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018

Given the more footage we've slowly been getting on it, Shenmue III is looking to be EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. Especially with the recent update on Ryo's character model. My only big gripe with it is that Lan Di needs tweaking and that logo needs to go. Otherwise 8/27/19 can't get here fast enough.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Given the more footage we've slowly been getting on it, Shenmue III is looking to be EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. Especially with the recent update on Ryo's character model. My only big gripe with it is that Lan Di needs tweaking and that logo needs to go. Otherwise 8/27/19 can't get here fast enough.
It'll probably be delayed again. Just keeping my expectations in check.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm not saying it looks bad -- I think it looks awesome. I'm saying there are some fans out there that have unrealistic and downright bizarre expectations. People who wanted them to use the passport model of Ryo in S3 even though it looks like trash. People who actually expected original Xbox to PS4 save transfer.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
It'll probably be delayed again. Just keeping my expectations in check.

I certainly hope not. It's in development for about 3 1/2 years and given that Suzuki has been sleeping in the office to get this game done, I'm actually expecting to be amazed once again whenever gameplay footage is shown. I do think though it's time to show something

I don't think it will be delayed due to them announcing a definitive date, however if it is I don't mind. I've already waited about 15 years, what's another few months? But the fact that Shenmue III has a release date at all is an indicator that we've come a long way.

darksniper

Sep 18, 2018
I'm not saying it looks bad -- I think it looks awesome. I'm saying there are some fans out there that have unrealistic and downright bizarre expectations. People who wanted them to use the passport model of Ryo in S3 even though it looks like trash. People who actually expected original Xbox to PS4 save transfer.

I try to tune that noise out. Those are the same people who think d3t is trash who slapped together a port and laughed their way to the bank. Not realizing that they were going to actually remake the entire game before changes were made. I think the recent model of Ryo has actually surpassed his DC model finally. I'm just waiting to see when/if the other characters catch up.

Call of Duty

Oct 27, 2017
1.03 patches are live on PS4. I hope these finally address some of the major issues.

I'm gonna test it out and see if Ryo now has sound FX for his footsteps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One version has an update too (1.12 GB). PS4 version update is around 400 Mb.

It seems like the footsteps are still broken on the PS4 version. The sound FX are very low compared to the Xbox One version.

Oh, I did not bother to check Shenmue 2 yet. The patches and footsteps were referring to Shenmue 1.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm gonna test it out and see if Ryo now has sound FX for his footsteps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One version has an update too (1.12 GB). PS4 version update is around 400 Mb.

It seems like the footsteps are still broken on the PS4 version. The sound FX are very low compared to the Xbox One version.

Oh, I did not bother to check Shenmue 2 yet. The patches and footsteps were referring to Shenmue 1.

God damn it. All I wanted was footsteps. I can't play any more until they are in. It pisses me the hell off.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hows the music in Shenmue 2 now? Basically how it should be? Honestly that's the only thing I'm really waiting on to get fixed (I see midi music improvements are mentioned in the patch notes).

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Awesome, can't wait to check it out.

If you consider d3t have fixed over 50-60 bugs in the last three PC patches, this will be a drastic improvement for the console versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any confirmation that this patch fixes the xp bug for consoles? The patch notes don't specifically say so but it could part of the general bug fixes note.

Apr 20, 2018
Seems like the latest public build actually fixed the bugged throws XP. I'm mastering all moves in my current playthrough of Shenmue I and the throws level up correctly for me.

Sadly, a lot of other old bugs are still in. For example, the capsule toy machines in Harbor Lounge still rotate to the right, or the jukeboxes still have a graphical glitch where there are two records clipping into each other. Small stuff like that really shows that this release was rushed. I hope they will polish it down the road, especially audio-wise because neither I or II sounds the way it should right now. It's not just that the MIDI playback is inaccurate. There's also a ton of audio corruption all over both games. I guess the most noticeable problem is with the Japanese voices in Shenmue I because most sentences either star or end with popping and hissing.

Oh, and the hitboxes in Shenmue I are still totally screwed up. You can't even kick enemies during the armlock, not to even mention the advanced combos.

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm finally playing Shenmue II. After the okay-ish Shenmue I experience at launch and everything I heard about II I thought I'd be better off waiting for a few patches to get in and I guess it was the right call since it's been a near-perfect experience thus far.

Problem: I'm in Beverly Hills Wharf trying to get to Ren and any encounter with a Heavens member will make the game crash. I've tried to sneak around but I can't find any path that won't get me at least one encounter...
Which means I simply can't progress.

Anybody got that one?

Apr 20, 2018
You can map-glitch your way through the Beverly Hills Wharf section, but that's not how we are supposed to play this game, right? E-mail SEGA Support about the crashing, so that they get their asses to actually fix it, along with other issues. There are many more crashes in both games, BTW. It's just that almost everybody gets the Beverly Hills Wharf crash since it's not an optional section of the game.

The Japanese release is almost here and they still have so many bugs to fix, including something as bad as the story section crashing for virtually all users.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Map glitch did it but yeesh.
None of my friends got this bug and they all played upon release so I guess this is something introduced by a later patch (1.02 or 1.03)?

Gonna be a bloodbath if it releases that way in Japan, you can't have an unmissable story section crashing 100% of the time...

Apr 20, 2018
This started happening with Patch 5 on Steam, then got its way to the console versions. How do they even test this stuff? It's been a long time since the release and they keep acting like kids lost in a forest. Honestly, how do you miss a major crash during the story progression in QA, especially when you have users reporting it to you before you release a public build?

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Seems like Shenmue II got updated to 1.04 on console (Or PS4, anyway). Patch notes just say stability improvements for skipping cutscenes and an audio fix for a specific area.

That guaranteed crash sounds like a major pain in the ass, though.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Temptation to cancel my Japanese LE rising...

I'm sympathetic to the fact this was rushed out in a largely unfinished state as a result of the cancellation of the remake project... but it's been months now. To not (seemingly) have fixed major game breaking bugs still is ludicrous.

It's been a pretty gruelling wait for both the LE and the opportunity to play these at Christmas, how disappointing.
I might just wait until we're closer to the release of 3 now and play them all in a row...

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Shenmue II got updated to 1.04 on console (Or PS4, anyway). Patch notes just say stability improvements for skipping cutscenes and an audio fix for a specific area.

That guaranteed crash sounds like a major pain in the ass, though.
Is this hard-crash on every platform?
I'm really tired, pre-ordered this game on what, August? We are November, 3 months later and still plenty of bugs.

Apr 20, 2018
I'm sympathetic to the fact this was rushed out in a largely unfinished state as a result of the cancellation of the remake project... but it's been months now. To not (seemingly) have fixed major game breaking bugs still is ludicrous.
Not seemingly, sadly.

Major issues from the release day still aren't fixed - like inactive hitboxes in Shenmue I, resulting in broken advanced combos, half-broken armlock and no option to throw enemies into other enemies. What's even more shocking, they are actually making new major bugs within the very patches, like the hard crash at Beverly Hills Wharf as a secret feature of the 1.03 patch in Shenmue II... There's also a ton of little things which are broken, but casual players don't even know it. For example, Fuku-san's eyes are gltiched after sparring in Shenmue I. He should look directly at Ryo, but because of the bug his eyes move to the corners and it looks really weird.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the bugs are why for the love of me I could never pull off some specific advanced combos in Shenmue 1.

I beat S1 but going to wait it out for S2 so that they can hopefully fix the game-breaking bug and not get burnt out. That last section with the forklift job was a test on my patience. It was fun the first couple of days but soon became an exercise in frustration. Thank god for Spotify or I could never get past these sections. Playing through Majora's Mask 3D now and it handles the real-time aspect in an infinitely superior way.

Apr 20, 2018
Maybe the bugs are why for the love of me I could never pull off some specific advanced combos in Shenmue 1.
Most of the combos don't work anymore because the required hitboxes are inactive, so you just go through enemies or hit air. It's very sad they didn't address this at all since release. They are either shockingly ignorant or enormously incompetent. And please, people, don't write it's impossible to port Dreamcast games without such issues because we all know HEXADRIVE or M2 would do it right. Somebody tackled a project they couldn't handle and we are left with the fallout.

Last edited:

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Not seemingly, sadly.

Major issues from the release day still aren't fixed - like inactive hitboxes in Shenmue I, resulting in broken advanced combos, half-broken armlock and no option to throw enemies into other enemies. What's even more shocking, they are actually making new major bugs within the very patches, like the hard crash at Beverly Hills Wharf as a secret feature of the 1.03 patch in Shenmue II... There's also a ton of little things which are broken, but casual players don't even know it. For example, Fuku-san's eyes are gltiched after sparring in Shenmue I. He should look directly at Ryo, but because of the bug his eyes move to the corners and it looks really weird.
The 'seemingly' was me being conservative as I hadn't kept up with this since around launch.
Catching up now and, yeah... :'(
I was certain they'd have it all sorted for the Japanese release (why else would it have been delayed...?) but... man what a sad situation all around.
Thanks for all of your info btw.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Checking in ta see console versions are still a mess huh? At this point I'm wiping it offa my christmas wishlist. Someday Shenmue Collection, someday~

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So Sega/IGN Japan/Yokosuka tourism board are putting on a Shenmue event for Japanese fans on December 24th from 13:00 to 15:00 in a venue called "Younger Than Yesterday" in Dobuita.

Up to 80 fans can join for 500 yen each. The Japanese voice of Ryo will be there as well as some others connected to the game. It will be live streamed and then subtitled later for international viewers, but if you happen to be in town, go connect with your fellow fans!

A few prominent fans in the west have been invited to record videos that will be shown to the Japanese crowd so they can see why we love the series. A sort of Shenmue cultural exchange I suppose. My cohost Andrew and I will be recording a video, but in the meantime feel free to listen to our interview with IGN Japan's Esra Krabbe:

DnqpM0SUwAEltTO.jpg

IGN Japan's Esra Krabbe was dubbed the "#Shenmue Respect Champion" for his passionate and knowledgeable Shenmue panel discussion at #tgs2018.

IGN Japan announcement

Announcement Video

Yokosuka city's announcement