• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
so my JP LE finally showed up the other day!

...are there really no english subtitles here, was i told wrong
It was confirmed about a month ago (during Tokyo Game Show) that the options to change both text and voice were removed from the Japanese version.

Based on the game installed size, the English voices are probably still there. There was a code for the Japanese "Cyber Gadget" Save Editor / cheat system that allowed the US / EU versions to run in Japanese. They've got codes available for the Japanese version, but alas no language code. They offer save editing for it as well, but I don't think it's worth spending $60 on their save editor when an English version of the game costs less than half that. Oh well.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What was the rationale for removing English from the Japanese version?

Considering they released a US Shenmue version in Japan back in the day, it seems like there would be some interest in that feature.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
It was confirmed about a month ago (during Tokyo Game Show) that the options to change both text and voice were removed from the Japanese version.

Based on the game installed size, the English voices are probably still there. There was a code for the Japanese "Cyber Gadget" Save Editor / cheat system that allowed the US / EU versions to run in Japanese. They've got codes available for the Japanese version, but alas no language code. They offer save editing for it as well, but I don't think it's worth spending $60 on their save editor when an English version of the game costs less than half that. Oh well.

damn. already platted part 1 off my roommate's copy, gonna wanna play 2 later on too...the US one shows up cheap enough in the buy/sell thread, just feels silly having this on the shelf & the originals as well and still needing something else. it is what it is, i shoud've kept up with the news & honestly might've still kept the preorder anyway because the idea of finally having a shenmoo LE was too great for me

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What was the rationale for removing English from the Japanese version?

Considering they released a US Shenmue version in Japan back in the day, it seems like there would be some interest in that feature.

I can't think of a good reason. Japan gets screwed over quite a lot by JP publishers but it's usually because of improved versions being released in the West after the fact. This is the reverse scenario -- they're taking the Western release and actively removing features for the Japanese market.

It's silly because it gives Japanese players yet another reason (on top of being three months late) to import a copy instead of buying it in their own country, which could have a small affect on sales in the region.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So I started this now, and I just remembered there's some event around Christmas time with all Ryo's friends that I've never actually caught in all the times I've played through Shenmue I. Anybody got tips on how to not miss it?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So I started this now, and I just remembered there's some event around Christmas time with all Ryo's friends that I've never actually caught in all the times I've played through Shenmue I. Anybody got tips on how to not miss it?
Keep failing the warehouse stealth thing. It automatically advances forward a day with each fail.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange hearing some of the Shenmue II tracks uncompressed after having the Dreamcast versions burned into my brain.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my Japanese copy (skimped on the shipping 😬) and I'm thrilled with the soundtrack album. Finally having an official Shenmue II soundtrack, for one, and also it includes some notable absences from the various soundtracks for the first one, like Nightfall, the Hazuki house exploration music and that awesome track when you're borrowing Naoyuki's bike.

Not knowing the composers leaves it looking a bit incomplete in my iTunes library, but oh well.

That was worth the money alone for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Naoyuki bike scene theme. And now I'm all done on both Yakuza and RDR2, I'll be starting my PS4 playthrough of Shenmue this afternoon. Been a couple of years since I played it, looking forward to replay it once more :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the double post, but having now started the Remaster, here are my thoughts based on the first few hours:

First the bad - Excite QTE 2 glitched on me once. Prompts became invisible.
Audio (Japanese or English) unfortunately is lower quality than what I'm used to. But I understand why this is the case.

That's really the only "bad" issues. And then, only the first one was mildly annoying. But it only happened once so I just hope it doesn't make a habit of happening, I rather like that mini game!

Now for the good:
16:9, while not used everywhere (again, I understand why) is a really nice addition
Load times, or lack there of. A real game changer.
Graphically - while some parts of the game have obviously aged, certain other parts (main character faces especially) still look really good/detailed especially considering this was a DC game.
The soundtrack is still amazing. Perhaps the best I've ever heard in a game.

And best of all: Its bloody addictive. I've played the DC version through loads, both in English and Japanese so I basically know the game back to front. But I've not been glued to a game quite like this in a while (even RDR2 didn't grip me quite like this!). I love the setting so much, and going back to play it shows the insane amount of visual and audio detail in the game - from the hum of the Hazuki residence refrigerator, to the detailed way Ryo turns on his Saturn to play a game, to the cocktail arcade cabs in Game You showing off Fantasy Zone... so many little things I either missed or am just appreciating all over again. The ambient/mood music while exploring the areas is great, as is the little scene transitions at 7pm as dusk turns to night.
Snow is still very special, I love how the weather gradually gets worse throughout the day to the point where the snow has set on the ground the following day and can take several days to fully melt, depending on the weather.

Combat wise I always liked the QTEs and I still feel no different. Its a nice way to do flashy stuff. The Heartbeats QTE is still up there with my favourite QTEs in any game (right alongside RE4's knife fight). Free battles... only done two of them so far but they still feel pretty much how I remember. A less difficulty Virtua Fighter. That aspect has aged a bit, but I still appreciate it for giving me what is essentially VF in an RPG.

Also, I still love the sheer amount of dialogue and personalities that each NPC has. Shenmue 1 really makes you feel like your home with a bunch of people young and old that are friends with Ryo and help him out in his journey where they can. Mario might still be my favourite NPC after Tom, the amount of hilarious (pointless) dialogue he gets is hefty.

Oh, and getting the Japanese dub, while not earth shattering is still way better than the bad delivery of the English dub for sure.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game a few days ago during PS4 sale and about an hour into it. How safe am I in doing side stuff and explore? Do I have to reach certain moments before X date? I wan't to just run around and do stuff but the clock and dates makes me afraid of doing so.

I have not spent any money yet and pretty sure I read you can get a job? So it's ok to spend money or is there a reason to save it?

There are side quests right? One of the first persons I talked to wanted to find a certain address and it seemed to have nothing to do with the main story persons I was talking to.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Bought the game a few days ago during PS4 sale and about an hour into it. How safe am I in doing side stuff and explore? Do I have to reach certain moments before X date? I wan't to just run around and do stuff but the clock and dates makes me afraid of doing so.

I have not spent any money yet and pretty sure I read you can get a job? So it's ok to spend money or is there a reason to save it?

There are side quests right? One of the first persons I talked to wanted to find a certain address and it seemed to have nothing to do with the main story persons I was talking to.

Don't worry about the time. You have plenty of in game months before it's game over. Normal playthrough can take 3-4 in game weeks. There's not really side quests per say, but there are plenty of side activities you can do, and most of the NPCs will say completely different things based on your progression of the story.

You can spend your money however you like, you'll get access to more later.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry about time. There is a hard time limit that'll get a bad ending but it's basically impossible to hit it without actively trying. It's more of an Easter egg because you'd run out of stuff to do long before reaching it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

You have until April 1987 before you have to worry about failing the game.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the Japanese release, just wondering how long I'm looking at to complete the two 100%. Working through Judge Eyes at the moment and all this investigating is making me wanna play Shenmue even more.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so not going to worry about time then! I found the game to be super slow at first but that's because I just stood around waiting for the clock all the time. I turned off area warp and started to play it a bit more like Persona games, do role playing stuff while waiting. Found a few optional scenes and battles which was cool. Really digging the game now!

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Question for Shenmue II:

I need 500 HKD to meet a certain someone. I looked at a guide online and figured the easiest way to earn that money was on Big or Small at warehouse #10. I now have about 2K, so I'm good for now. But that got me thinking, maybe I could continue my gambling to earn a big enough balance that I won't need to worry about money for the rest of the game. Is that a good strategy? If so, how much money will I need?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Shenmue II:

I need 500 HKD to meet a certain someone. I looked at a guide online and figured the easiest way to earn that money was on Big or Small at warehouse #10. I now have about 2K, so I'm good for now. But that got me thinking, maybe I could continue my gambling to earn a big enough balance that I won't need to worry about money for the rest of the game. Is that a good strategy? If so, how much money will I need?
Not really necessary as you can continue to gamble like that throughout the game.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Shenmue II:

That's how I usually earn money. :P

To be honest, 2k is probably enough for most things. As far as I remember you only need like 1k at least for the main story(that's 1k including the point which you're referring to). Past that it depends what else you want to spend your money on. I think in the past I've gone up to like 4k and that's probably way more than you'd ever need. xD

Edit: But yes as the other person said, there's gambling spots elsewhere too, so you can do it again later if you wanted.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Great, thanks for the replies! Since I'm already there, I'll grab another K than move on. Funny thing is I completed the game back when it came out (imported the DC european version) but I don't remember much apart from a few story beats and general locales.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally replaying Shenmue 2 for the first time since I attempted and (gave up on) it on the DC via my PAL version back in 2002. I've forgotten most of Shenmue and it's sequel as I haven't played them since their original releases some near 20 years ago.

I did finish 1 on the PS4 last week and while I still love the attention to detail and atmosphere, it's still a very flawed masterpiece in my mind.

The second game fixes many of the issues I had. Quick travel, much better pacing, and a more detailed ensemble of characters this time around.

I still don't care for the VF engine used in combat but I understand why it is that way, given it's pedigree.

Basically though... It's a modern miracle that we've got these games running as they do on current hardware, and that's not even getting into the reality that an actual THIRD game is really coming. It's a great way to reacquaint myself with the series again and to right the wrong of myself not ever following through to the end with 2. I remember exactly where and why I quit. I plan on not giving up this time, if only to be fully prepared for Shenmue 3 this coming summer.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first game and wow that was such a great experience.

I was almost 11 when it first released in EU back in the day and it's always been one of those games I really wanted to play and always thought would be perfect for me. I remember reading reviews and just dreaming of playing it, running around in a Japanese setting just living life and taking part of a story that people said were great. But Dreamcast was not something I could afford at that age.

So I went in with really high expectations and it really did deliver. It was just as I imagined and I have not been able to put down the controller. Been playing it non stop whenever I've been home. Downloading 2 now and think I will jump into it as soon as the download is finished.

delalaser

Oct 25, 2017
i've beaten it 2-3 times when it first came out on DC. i'm finally playing it and damn, i'm hating the camera, it's making me dizzy. lovin the vibes and talking to people tho. getting scolded the first time for coming home late hit me in the nostalgic feels

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Platinumed Shenmue 1 in August and finally obtained the plat in Shenmue 2. Love these games. Now bring on Shenmue 3!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Resisting the urge to start my pre-Shenmue III playthrough.

I suppose it can't hurt to do one now... and another in March... and another in June...

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Wow two is such a different experience yet very similar compared to one. Love the colors and music, great atmosphere so far and it really fits my image of HK. Way more cutscenes as well? Crazy that Joy kind of gets more screen time in the first 2h than Nozomi did in the whole first game.

One thing I like is the fact that you gotta work for money but damn it's hard to get a bigger amount. I know you can save, gamble and reload if you lose but I feel like that will break a part of how the game is intended to be played. Is it common for people to "cheat" like that in 2? Will more ways to make money open up later?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Wow two is such a different experience yet very similar compared to one. Love the colors and music, great atmosphere so far and it really fits my image of HK. Way more cutscenes as well? Crazy that Joy kind of gets more screen time in the first 2h than Nozomi did in the whole first game.

One thing I like is the fact that you gotta work for money but damn it's hard to get a bigger amount. I know you can save, gamble and reload if you lose but I feel like that will break a part of how the game is intended to be played. Is it common for people to "cheat" like that in 2? Will more ways to make money open up later?
The reason why people tend to cheat is because most methods of making money just don't really give much and are time consuming. I think this is especially a bit of a nuisance on second playthroughs and beyond. I've replayed 2 so many times that I've really had my fill of the usual ways of making money. :P

Crates and lucky hit for example take up a good number of hours and even then give a small amount for your troubles. Which leaves the many ways of gambling. If you didn't want to do the save scum method on the dock's gambling tables, you could try the other gambling types like arm wrestling or the fighting ring, not convinced they give a massive amount of money either though (outside of ones related to story). Also there isn't many fighting ring spots in Hong Kong, I want to say the first one you can access is quite late into the Hong Kong parts, the area after has more.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
For save scumming I like to use the "Roll it on Top" stands. It's a dice game. Just place a max bet and watch the money pile up.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does Shenmue run any better on PS4 Pro? I been playing on PS4 and my character got stuck in some geometry and another time some NPC's blocked me into a corner and wouldn't move.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Does Shenmue run any better on PS4 Pro? I been playing on PS4 and my character got stuck in some geometry and another time some NPC's blocked me into a corner and wouldn't move.
There's no differences using a Pro from what I understand, but those particular issues you describe are in the original Dreamcast version as well.

You should be able to wiggle out of stuck corners with some directional finagling. I admit it can be frustrating, though for what it's worth you'll eventually learn how to turn and move in order to prevent that from happening. Just one of those early 3D problems.

The NPCs should despawn if you continue nudging into them.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's no differences using a Pro from what I understand, but those particular issues you describe are in the original Dreamcast version as well.

You should be able to wiggle out of stuck corners with some directional finagling. I admit it can be frustrating, though for what it's worth you'll eventually learn how to turn and move in order to prevent that from happening. Just one of those early 3D problems.

The NPCs should despawn if you continue nudging into them.

Well it was very early in the game and two NPC's would not move and I was stuck in an alley. Had to restart the game.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well it was very early in the game and two NPC's would not move and I was stuck in an alley. Had to restart the game.
That sucks. I've played Shenmue many times and can't remember having to actually restart. It's strange the game didn't despawn the NPC that was blocking your path after a while.

It's just one of the querks of them creating a real-scale neighbourhood with back alleys, confined spaces etc. with extremely limited processing power for AI, pathing and the like.

If you look around you can tell they've made some roads wider than they'd be in real life to accommodate for this. It's also the reason they removed the bicycle functionality, I believe, because you'd constantly bump into people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gotta say, I love the interplay between Ryo and Ren. He adds so much more character compared to Ryo by his lonesome.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Finally started my first real playthrough of the game, after dropping off with the buggy launch. I'm liking it so far (I'm a little bit further from when you can first go to the harbor, no idea how far that is in the overall game.) but I wish there was more stuff to do while you wait for the right time for the next story event other than to play different games in the arcade or drop money to maybe get a few new figurines. But as far as I udnerstand there's a lot more to do in the second game.

NPC interactions are a bit limited as well, as in, I wish there were more dialogue options instead of relying on Ryo's one-track mind. Speaking with the townsfolk is theoretically a good way to pass the time but most of the time Ryo will just ask about the current objective and be met with "I dunno man, go ask someone else." That's the majority of conversations so far.

Also, yeah, even without having played the original DC version I can tell the sound is off, the audio mix is all over the place, in some areas your footsteps are loud, in others barely noticable, same with the music and at least with the japanese VO the audio gets really quite for a few seconds mid-sentence every now and again.

The audio stuff is about the only really noticable Remaster issue for me though, without knowing the original in and out.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
You're going to really appreciate the specific improvements Shenmue II makes over the original, by the sounds of things.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Come on, this is just cruel though.

"I'm looking for a job"

"Speak to the foreman, he's usually around the warehouse at noon."

It's past noon already and he's nowhere to be found so I pass the time until the next day and go there on time.

"Hey bro, you want a job? Okay, let's meet again tomorrow...at noon!"

Are you kidding me?

Also, what's the name of the dramatic song that plays now while you're walking aound and looking for a job? It's pretty cool, even if barely audible.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i finished shenmue I on ps4 (played it several times on dreamcast), so just a quick question: when you look at the list of move scrolls, there are nine slots, and at the end of the game the last one was still marked as "????". i don't know where to find this ninth scroll, and i don't remember was it in the original on dreamcast. anyone know where to find it?

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Also, what's the name of the dramatic song that plays now while you're walking aound and looking for a job? It's pretty cool, even if barely audible.
Are you referring to this song? I don't think it has a name. Oddly it's my least favorite of all of the FREE music. There are basically 15 different tracks that play during the normal open world gameplay, which is a nice variety, but once you hit Disc 3 of the Dreamcast version you're stuck with that one song for the rest of the game. By the 5th playthrough or so of the original I didn't like it anymore because you hear it so much compared to the rest.

i finished shenmue I on ps4 (played it several times on dreamcast), so just a quick question: when you look at the list of move scrolls, there are nine slots, and at the end of the game the last one was still marked as "????". i don't know where to find this ninth scroll, and i don't remember was it in the original on dreamcast. anyone know where to find it?
I got all of them in my play through of the PS4 version, but I don't remember which is which. 6 of them come from the antiques shop, so I doubt it's one of those. If I recall correctly, the other 3 come from the Hazuki residence in various places. Is your missing one the scroll that you need to get translated? If so, you call up Master Chen's number to request a meeting, and Guizhang will translate it for you. There are two different scrolls you can see him about, the one he can translate is probably the one missing from your menu. (I don't know for sure if that one appears in the menu, but I guess it might be.)

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got all of them in my play through of the PS4 version, but I don't remember which is which. 6 of them come from the antiques shop, so I doubt it's one of those. If I recall correctly, the other 3 come from the Hazuki residence in various places. Is your missing one the scroll that you need to get translated? If so, you call up Master Chen's number to request a meeting, and Guizhang will translate it for you. There are two different scrolls you can see him about, the one he can translate is probably the one missing from your menu. (I don't know for sure if that one appears in the menu, but I guess it might be.)

now that i think about it, i must just have forgotten to buy one from the shop and never bothered to go back. i definitely got three from the hazuki house, so the other six are certainly from the boutique.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Are you referring to this song? I don't think it has a name. Oddly it's my least favorite of all of the FREE music. There are basically 15 different tracks that play during the normal open world gameplay, which is a nice variety, but once you hit Disc 3 of the Dreamcast version you're stuck with that one song for the rest of the game. By the 5th playthrough or so of the original I didn't like it anymore because you hear it so much compared to the rest.
Yeah, I agree. It's kind of annoying how the tracks are tied to where you are in the story, because there's some really great FREE tracks which you end up hearing only like 10mins of or so in a replaythrough due already knowing where to go. xD