• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Looking to finally jump into the series. Im wondering if there is any reason I should play the original Dreamcast release of Shenmue I over the HD release on the X1X (I have both). I definitely enjoy the novelty of playing games as it was meant to be at the time of release but if the HD is clearly superior, I'll go with that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The HD versions are more buggy than the DC version, and apparently still has some music issues (though as someone whos played both and listens to the OSTs for the games quite a bit lately I can't really tell the difference, but don't take my word for that).
That said, I absolutely love the HD upgrade the games got alongside the inclusion of widescreen for gameplay (some scenes still play 4:3 though). Oh, and the load times (which would be frequent in the DC games) are almost gone completely in the HD versions. So really, its up to you, there's good and bad points to both.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're a pretty hardcore fan of the original experience there's zero reasons to go with DC.
While the HD version is indeed buggier than DC, the most egregious stuff has been patched and the various upgrades (resolution, performance, loadings) more than make up for the shortcomings.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Apart from some minor graphical glitches I think the worst and most notable issue with the HD ports now is simply the audio mix, especially because it's so inconsistent that you can't really use the different audio sliders to fix the issue yourself.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
95% of the issues with the musics are issues that already existed in the Shenmue II Xbox port, I&II HD added more issues but they've pretty much been patched, leaving only the Xbox ones (swapped instruments in the midi, chords sustained far too long in a specific song).

Also audio sometimes doesn't sync up with the scene anymore so some musics/scenes loose a bit of their "wow effect".

Shenmue I is pretty much perfect except for a very specific song at a key story related event, if you've never played the game, you wont even notice it.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
First 2 hours of Shenmue~ instantly hearing really really bad (in varying ways!) vocal audio quality making me wanna turn my DC on an check if thats how it always was! The controls however are as stiff as they ever were that I do know. Getting shat on by bikers and schoolgirls is just like old times!

6skkXwh.jpg

Is this kitten possessed by a demon? That shadow is terrifying!

btw Iwao harping on about carrots like a true tool. Farmers picked 'em for the people that want 'em an thats not everyone >.<! Oh Darts 7 I've never forgotten you or your jingle. Now to claim the highscore on the leaderboards... oh wait there are none anymore.

rxFfJc1.jpg

Did people just not play beyond the first hour or so? The sailors bit is super early an I was already onto looking for Charlie within minutes of it coming up! Yet its all peeps remember of the game.

Any moves in particular worth training up? I remember combat being both janky and sparse an training not really mattering. But its a fun way ta kill time (watching meters fill up!) so I may as well find a few that're worthwhile right?

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 hours of Shenmue~ instantly hearing really really bad (in varying ways!) vocal audio quality making me wanna turn my DC on an check if thats how it always was! The controls however are as stiff as they ever were that I do know. Getting shat on by bikers and schoolgirls is just like old times!

6skkXwh.jpg

Is this kitten possessed by a demon? That shadow is terrifying!

btw Iwao harping on about carrots like a true tool. Farmers picked 'em for the people that want 'em an thats not everyone >.<! Oh Darts 7 I've never forgotten you or your jingle. Now to claim the highscore on the leaderboards... oh wait there are none anymore.

rxFfJc1.jpg

Did people just not play beyond the first hour or so? The sailors bit is super early an I was already onto looking for Charlie within minutes of it coming up! Yet its all peeps remember of the game.

Any moves in particular worth training up? I remember combat being both janky and sparse an training not really mattering. But its a fun way ta kill time (watching meters fill up!) so I may as well find a few that're worthwhile right?
The sailors part does come very early if you know what you're doing, but at the time nobody did and I remember myself wandering for a few days before they came up.

For the moves, I think there was a lot of talk back when the game released about how useful training was, or more exactly wasn't. I think it boiled down to:
- Move XP being buggy, which I'm not sure whether it was patched or not (I think so?)
- There aren't a lot of battles in Shenmue I, so overtraining doesn't have much of a purpose,
- I think that your move levels get slashed at the start of Shenmue II, but also that you gain XP much, much faster.

I might be wrong on some of those but the gist of it is that training in Shenmue I isn't terribly interesting.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
First 2 hours of Shenmue~ instantly hearing really really bad (in varying ways!) vocal audio quality making me wanna turn my DC on an check if thats how it always was!
The voice quality in the re-releases is lower than the originals, yes. For some reason they decided not the keep the files in their original format, but instead convert them to platform native formats in equivalent quality. Compressing compressed audio is never a good idea. There are mods to solve this for the PC version, but if you're on console you're stuck.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
About voices, best thing with my replay was to play Shenmue I with Japanese voices. Just got the gold medal in Shenmue II. Trying to decide whether I should waste a month of in-game time so I can do the birthday event or just skip it and move on (have done it before). Really wish they had added quicksave/load.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese audio on Shenmue 1 on this release is so pleasant. So much better than the English audio no doubt, while some characters still sound a bit strange I do appreciate not having to shield my ears when talking to every NPC in the game anymore...

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese audio on Shenmue 1 on this release is so pleasant. So much better than the English audio no doubt, while some characters still sound a bit strange I do appreciate not having to shield my ears when talking to every NPC in the game anymore...

I gotta be honest, I hate the English voices and I do not understand how anyone can deal with them. I did play the first game in English back in the day because that's all there was, but I then played Shenmue II on an imported PAL copy and found it much better. Apparently the Japanese performance isn't very good either, but since I can't tell, I'm all good hehe! I won't even try the English dub in Shenmue III I think.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I gotta be honest, I hate the English voices and I do not understand how anyone can deal with them. I did play the first game in English back in the day because that's all there was, but I then played Shenmue II on an imported PAL copy and found it much better. Apparently the Japanese performance isn't very good either, but since I can't tell, I'm all good hehe! I won't even try the English dub in Shenmue III I think.
Yeah. Same. Grew up with PAL so didn't have to endure Shenmue II with the horrible English at least. Same with the first Yakuza, awful dub on PS2. As you say it is less annoying simply not understanding what they say.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ever since playing 2 in Japanese its been hard to go back, glad 3 gives you the choice of voices out of the gate. And yeah, Yakuza 1 is similarly awful but more hilarious when you consider they didn't grab people off the street for that one but rather several top talents (even Mark Hamill was only so-so in the game, if he'd got to go full Joker he'd have been even better).

Anyway, latest replay and I'm on day 3/5 of the job. Lucked out and snagged Hang On from the raffle, so just ran home and played on that instead of searching more for the Mad Angels!

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
For nostalgic reasons I guess, I quite enjoy the english dub on Shenmue 1. Tried to play the HD release in japanese and even if I've played number 2 on DC and I've quite enjoyed it I have to say, I still prefer to play the first one in english. I suppose that not being a native english speaker helps quite a lot tho.
I'll most likely play 3 in japanese tho as time has passed and they english voices doesn't really sound as sharp anymore in the trailers we could see so far.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
4 hours in an have been in 1 fight. This must be the true Yakuza experience peeps clamor about when they compare the series!

CKpjxYb.jpg

Speaking of the yakuza for all these years I either never knew or totally forgot Dobuita has a local family o.O They're pretty nice save for the dude just outside the office! I love how most (all?) places you can enter each have their own music. But there is one song that feels outta place... the creepy sounding cloudy/rainy/snowy day tune!

1NWVdEP.jpg

Speaking of weather I like how ya can see rain turn to snow! If only we coulda spent time just before the game started on that crazy day the snow turned to thundery rain! Whats the point of no return for getting locked into harbor work? I always used to extend the job part of the game to make all the monies an always come away disappointed how ya can't get back into town at a decent enough time ta spend it!

The sailors part does come very early if you know what you're doing, but at the time nobody did and I remember myself wandering for a few days before they came up.
tbf I don't know what I'm doing aside from I guess lucking out an chatting up the right people/wandering past the right locations.

For the moves, I think there was a lot of talk back when the game released about how useful training was, or more exactly wasn't. I think it boiled down to:
- Move XP being buggy, which I'm not sure whether it was patched or not (I think so?)
- There aren't a lot of battles in Shenmue I, so overtraining doesn't have much of a purpose,
- I think that your move levels get slashed at the start of Shenmue II, but also that you gain XP much, much faster.

I might be wrong on some of those but the gist of it is that training in Shenmue I isn't terribly interesting.
Counterpoint: training in Shenmue II sux. I like it better in the first game since broken or not its a good (free!) way to pass time so I've been doing some anyhow but geez, the camera constantly moving an making my inputs be the opposite of what I'm intending ta do sure does bite!

The voice quality in the re-releases is lower than the originals, yes. For some reason they decided not the keep the files in their original format, but instead convert them to platform native formats in equivalent quality. Compressing compressed audio is never a good idea. There are mods to solve this for the PC version, but if you're on console you're stuck.
Aha so they are better in my memories! For once "nostalgia" isn't a lie lol.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint: training in Shenmue II sux. I like it better in the first game since broken or not its a good (free!) way to pass time so I've been doing some anyhow but geez, the camera constantly moving an making my inputs be the opposite of what I'm intending ta do sure does bite!

Oh yes, you are absolutely right. Training in Shenmue 1 is pretty relaxing to me.
My point was more about the finality of it and how training in S1 doesn't net you very interesting results, compared to just fighting in S2 (you gain XP a lot faster).

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Wondering how much moneys "enough money" to roll through Shenmue 2 without having ta bother with the awful crate carrying of savescamming gambling...

5JyFI7U.jpg

The heck kind of note is this? Its been moved cause you just moved it! I wish my notebook were all filled up, would really like ta see all of Ryo's nuggets of wisdom >_> btw it seems like Nozomi's much less prominent than I remember, or I've just missed lotsa optional(?) scenes with her in 'em. I guess showing up a handful of times is still pretty high up there compared to other characters.

5XJpIa1.jpg

Now heres another building I dun recall ever seeing/entering in my life! Guess I've always been pretty bad when it comes to taking my time an slowly exploring these games. Being on a daily schedule/time limit really pushes me to keep pushing the story forward. I may be bad at taking it easy but after 3 days on the job I'm ready to declare myself the crate master!! The forklift may turn like a brick but it still feels so much smoother than controlling Ryo lol.

btw has anybody mentioned lately how this games combat bites? Feels awful. Practicing moves an actually being given the opportunity ta execute 'em are two things that're worlds apart.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Has anybody mentioned lately how this games combat bites? Feels awful. Practicing moves an actually being given the opportunity ta execute 'em are two things that're worlds apart.

I disagree. There's a rich move set and once you learn how to parry and dodge, there's plenty of available offensive options. I feel the camera is the biggest deficiency here days. Here's an example video of how good combat can be- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9XW6blnqc

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I disagree. There's a rich move set and once you learn how to parry and dodge, there's plenty of available offensive options. I feel the camera is the biggest deficiency here days. Here's an example video of how good combat can be- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9XW6blnqc
Oh ya the camera. I mentioned how annoying it could be while training but in actual combat its downright hostile to the player. An maybe this is just a Shenmue Collection thing, but I had a move assigned to L2 and while pressing it during a fight it wouldn't always perform that move an instead what seemed like random moves. I've seen such highlight reels of peeps being good at the games bad combat but lets be real, it is possible to become good at bad stuff in games an that doesn't make it not bad. I'ma keep holding out hope Shenmue 3 makes it fun/less bad or lets ya skip it entirely.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Combat rocks in Shenmue, solid disagree there. Doing the 70 man fight, or the Chai fights and it feels as close to a Virtua Fighter RPG as one can get. Camera does suck and does definitely negatively affect the combat (since its all directional based) but its such a blast to fight tougher/stronger opponents as you counter/dodge and use throws and different moves against enemies. Feels far more like a proper Kung Fu movie than say something like Yakuza which is far more shallow and reliant on flashy moves.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Combat rocks in Shenmue, solid disagree there. Doing the 70 man fight, or the Chai fights and it feels as close to a Virtua Fighter RPG as one can get. Camera does suck and does definitely negatively affect the combat (since its all directional based) but its such a blast to fight tougher/stronger opponents as you counter/dodge and use throws and different moves against enemies. Feels far more like a proper Kung Fu movie than say something like Yakuza which is far more shallow and reliant on flashy moves.
I too mostly enjoy the combat in Shenmue. On top of the camera issues I also noticed that several moves e.g. Pit blow, change input from I->II (in this case FWD+X -> BACK FWD+X) which is a bit of a shame.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I was just about to go crazy over a command qte in Shenmue II (
when Ryo has to kick in Yuan's door
). I swear I press correct in so many QTE:s that still fail. Better be improved in part III.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'ma keep holding out hope Shenmue 3 makes it fun/less bad or lets ya skip it entirely.
Uh... opinions on the combat in the originals aside (I think it's very rewarding to learn as it's basically Virtua Fighter-lite, and once you've mastered counters it's a martial arts god simulator), it's been rebuilt from scratch in Shenmue III and addresses a lot of problems I personally had in the originals.

The camera is better, and you can manually switch focus between opponents in multi-man battles. There's a new system for blocking, and it rewards timing and judgement with dodging and attacking. Directional inputs are gone, and moves are now constructed from combinations of the face buttons on the controller - which are split into heavy/light strikes for Ryo's arms and legs. Holding the left trigger also lets you pull off more moves from Ryo's basic set, the right trigger allows you to pull off moves automatically like in the original games (except this time you can load five into a deck to switch between during combat), and if all else fails you can string some quick combos together mashing the buttons; though that'll only get you so far.

If you liked training, it's back and much more robust than before. There are a few mini-games to improve Ryo's endurance and attack power stats, as well as leveling up individual moves through sparring sessions that help drill the player on button commands. Leveling up your moves also apparently relaxes the input window some, alongside increasing the force of the attack (might do more than this, but we've only got early hours gameplay to judge).

In general a lot more of the systems in the world tie into the combat in Shenmue III, so engaging with other features yields results. Besides Ryo being at a disadvantage with low stats, he can also struggle against exotic martial arts styles if you don't engage in acquiring and training new moves. On the flip side though, you can buy "snake tonic" which can replenish your health in battle. I think there are also other consumables that might boost your stats temporarily, but we'll see.

There are also opportunities to test it out fairly early in the game, probably from the second in-game day onwards. Apart from battles occurring during the story, Ryo will have the opportunity to challenge monks at Monasteries, or compete in underground street fighting circuits for cash and possibly other prizes.

It's less flashier looking than the originals and lost some of its Virtua Fighter pedigree. Throw moves had to be removed because there wasn't the capacity to include them alongside building everything else from scratch; but a lot of the new combat feels much more thought out and connected to everything else going on in Shenmue III. It plays better than it looks, and it definitely can grow on you with enough time invested.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Heading into the final last lil bits of the game but first...!

XsH22PZ.jpg

Training ground rankings!!

Sakuragaoka Park - This is super close to home for quick access most of the game, usually gets the camera stuck in a sideview position to not fudge your inputs, but on the downside ya often can't get started training there cause people hanging around prevent it.
Dobuita Parking Lot - Alil further from home but Dobuita's the place to be plus its next to the arcade!, unfortunately the cameras at its most wild here, but its always open to train in without delay.
Warehouse No.4 - pretty outta the way when ya first get access to it but then its basically your lunch break and "please get to 8 oclock so I can leave the harbor" spot, the camera here's the middle of the pack, and its always accessible when ya got time to kill.

Park = Warehouse > Parking Lot

xVqfl3B.jpg

See? I am the crate master! A few weeks of harbor work an ya could easily earn enough money for a ride to Hong Kong! Got 60,000 Yen in a week of work. If only Ryo weren't so darn impatient! btw whats up with the town getting Christmas decorations just a week or two before the big day? Was that what it was like in the 80's, and the rush to Christmas immediately after Halloween ends something that happened later?

Notebook Nonsense: "2 foreigners I rarely see" dude you've run into them at least as many times as you have Nozomi!

I dun get how Master Chens business and the Mad Angels get in the way of one anothers? They ain't exactly going after the same market. I nominate finding the motorcycles ta be the most directionless part of the game. Sailors ain't got nothing on this. Ya got a limited time to find out the usual method of getting to the harbors not available, then to comb a usually avoided part of town, then find Naoyuki? More like NauWHOki! One of Ryo's friends who ya may or may not ever interact with until this point, and who even knew Ryo had a motorcycle licnense in the first place?

edit! And done! Just a tiny bit past 16 hours. Short an sweet!

Ah the epic 70 man battle in which ya stand behind Gui Zhang so he deals with all the grunts while Elbow Assaulting anyone that does get near you. Good times. Now what isn't good is leaving town days before Christmas, what a jerk Ryo is! Not sure how I won the final fight on my first try but I'll take it. In total I ran into only 11 fights in the whole game. I could get that many in like a half hour of any given Yakuza game lol. So many moves learned and trained and for what I ask. I know the sequels abit heavier on the action but to what end.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Shenmue II: See that building? You can enter it!

GlDXrbf.jpg

Is this bloom? If so I don't think I like it. That sun flares gotten in the way a few times already! Also Its the worst how forklifts are seen in the opening cinematic but never can be used! Also also the worst is me coming from DC -> Xbox Shenmue experience and now finding disappointment in what all exactly carries over cause its not much. Notebooks basically a blank slate, all my random food items, tapes, etc. are gone. I was expecting so much more! Also also also the worst is ME. Coming off first trying the Shenmue final boss and losing the first fight in Shen2 x.x; Neat how the refight takes place in the nearby eatery which ya can really tear up!

c6bBijO.jpg

This place always used to impress me seeing all those dudes moving at once in one location! Its still pretty neat! What isn't neat is how Ryo sounds so hesistant when buying stuff. He's all like "y-yeah..." come on dude what is up with that?

qE8AR34.jpg

This perfectly vacant lot looks like it sure could be of use some how. Perhaps as some sort of training ground? I wish! In other news holy hell arm wrestling HURTS! I'm not sure how my right arm is still with us right now. btw random glitches much? Why'd my onscreen clock in the upper right disappear until I exited/re-entered an area??

As someone that just completed my Shenmue replay in preparation for Shenmue 3 next week I couldn't disagree more. The scene and music accompanying borrowing Naoyuki's bike is one of my favourites. I could explain why, but I think this video explains why this segment is so brilliant.
Wait no its not a bad part by any means! I meant player direction in that you're given less info on how to progress than normal!

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I played Shenmue 1 twice since the HD release, trying different things, and I think it's the fact that the conversations you can have with Naoyuki throughout the game seem so limited that I found the scene where you get the bike with the triumphant music and everything really goofy. To be honest, he and the other guy with the yellow jacket seem like pretty shitty friends anyway.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that just completed my Shenmue replay in preparation for Shenmue 3 next week I couldn't disagree more. The scene and music accompanying borrowing Naoyuki's bike is one of my favourites. I could explain why, but I think this video explains why this segment is so brilliant.
I loved that scene, the music certainly adds to it. Plus I'd spent the last in game hour scouring Dobuita for new dialogue to see where Ryo goes with the conversation (if you don't speak to Ono, you can speak to Saijo in Bar Yokosuka for some dialogue, or Akemi for a pretty funny line about her riding a motorcycle.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
In my memory Hong Kong was really cramped and the buildings were really really tall but thats not super the case? Unless I'm thinking of Kowloon.

TbPkFcI.jpg

Lucky Cans are in this one to? New to me since I only ever got like one of these in my life before an it was in Shen1. The prize(?) was an Akira capsule toy. Lame! The 4 Wude is something I've not thought about in a long while an after finding all 4 of 'em in one day I've surely not commited a single one to memory. >_>

cBE2NG5.jpg

But I did always remember the most important thing of all! Izumi! The true hero of Shenmue! C'mon she's got a jacket, part-time job, is a martial artist, and from japan! Move over Ryo!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
The Hong Kong economy being upheld on sales of capsule toys and lighters, along with gambling is endlessly amusing to me.

XGuXQWD.jpg

Mr. One Track Mind just doesn't let up, even after being beaten down by nobodies! Granted that loss prolly isn't canon but its makin' me want him to take a substantial L in Shen3. Dudes strutting around the first two games like he's gods gift to kungfu an really hasn't seen any consequences for it. Dude needs ta be put in his place an seriously injured for like a week or something.

cNGLQTT.jpg

In my memory I discovered this an all of what comes next all on my own but who even knows~ that was so long ago. You'd think they'd had learned from the arcade fight in Shen1 about the camera being extra trash in small enclosed locations but nopes! Lets do one again vs a superboss with a bugged qte display! The display thing is a collection issue but the cameras still terrible in the original Shen2.

btw I'm 9 hours into this one an up to 6 fights already! Thats half of what I encountered in the first game! ...although 4 of 'em here have been optional so umm the ratios actually worse??

edit!! Why can't you sleep train anymore btw? Like how do you even train throw moves in this game. Also to train in this game ya gotta talk to Jianmin (mash through dialogue), spar with him and a hilariously bad camera and him wasting time interupting your attacks, then when it ends ya gotta mash through more dialogue, leave the area (loading), turn right back around an re-enter (loading), an talk to him again (repeat mash). This blows, no other way ta put it. They really should've just scrapped combat altogether because instead of making any aspect of it better they made it worse as a whole.

Last edited:

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
edit!! Why can't you sleep train anymore btw? Like how do you even train throw moves in this game. Also to train in this game ya gotta talk to Jianmin (mash through dialogue), spar with him and a hilariously bad camera and him wasting time interupting your attacks, then when it ends ya gotta mash through more dialogue, leave the area (loading), turn right back around an re-enter (loading), an talk to him again (repeat mash). This blows, no other way ta put it. They really should've just scrapped combat altogether because instead of making any aspect of it better they made it worse as a whole.
I am nearly done with Kowloon and have had no need for training, if that helps.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Shenmue I & II are 66% off on Steam right now, so I finally grabbed them.

Debating whether to try and set up a Twitch channel so I can stream them in Japanese for fun.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Just finished my replay (I&II remaster version). Quite the cliffhanger-ending, already 18 years ago. As expected not all parts have aged gracefully, but I think it has also partly to do with that I at the time did not have a clear approach in the originals (since genre was evolving) and thus mostly focused on the main storyline back then. Today I immediately go into some "minmax mode" instead, which is not very rewarding in these games, especially in II since the save file won't carry over into III. Sadly for me I also mostly used throws in fights, hope they are not entirely gone in III.

Will give the Trial version a quick spin now, in anticipation for the full release.

Again, the above part is indeed the peak of the series thus far. Apart from the epic soundtrack and the pose right before "Do not hesitate.", Xiuying also has at least three epic lines in this short scene;
Out of the four Wude, you only have GON and DAN.
If I were the person upon whom you sought revenge...you'd already be dead.
If you want to go there together, follow me.
She will be missed in III.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I really really appreciate how sped up the process of getting capsule toys is over the first game. Spent half the last day in HK greatly expanding my collection!

0jn8Tor.jpg

But before that I got reaquainted with the worst character in the game! Can't stand Yuan an I never could! She's super obnoxious! Although ya know who's also obnoxious? Ren. He's not the cool guy I remember him being. Dudes super whiny an a grouch. I really dun get why he was hyped up to be a real danger.

vnOaVXj.jpg

Whats actually dangerous is this new combat camera where umm Ryo's transparent and uh yeah what the heck even was this about? Izumi may not get a cutscene when Ryo shows up to say goodbye but keep talking at her and see she's got a buncha different lines about it. Take that allegedly more important characters! Meanwhile Eileen gets nothing lol.

I am nearly done with Kowloon and have had no need for training, if that helps.
It helps that punchpunchpunching allows a skill-less scrub like me to beat the game once again but it doesn't help any in terms of upholding the combat systems honor. Training being unnecessary wholly undermines its reason for being in the game at all. The crap camera undermines whatever they were going for with their combat system. Theres really not even any point in learning new moves! Which is dumb in a kungfu focused game x.x!

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It helps that punchpunchpunching allows a skill-less scrub like me to beat the game once again but it doesn't help any in terms of upholding the combat systems honor. Training being unnecessary wholly undermines its reason for being in the game at all. The crap camera undermines whatever they were going for with their combat system. Theres really not even any point in learning new moves! Which is dumb in a kungfu focused game x.x!
U can probably mash through, and sadly many of the more major fights are based on dodging and then unleashing a quick combo. When possible it is however far more satisfactory to e.g. hind blow/machine gun fist/counter elbow assault enemies. Apart from the looks they also do a bit more dmg.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Am I supposed ta count unwinnable fights as fights?

eWGOcDS.jpg

Ghost Hall Building = saving after each an every plank. Of which there are far fewer of than my memory had told me! The ending of this buildings story bits is the ultimate cruel joke of the game. Finally on the cusp of story progression but... nope! >.<

fiI4oCD.jpg

Who put Afterburner on a pedestal and why o.o? Whys it even in this building? Somebody paid for that machine to just... leave it in some place the general public can't even enter? Weird. Street Fights are mandatory now so thats +6 to the fight count I guess. They're all gimmicky and unlike normal fights though. Not really places ta improve Ryo's skills. Anyways not much left ta do in the game now from what I remember so yeah... once I finish this I guess I may watch Shenmue the Movie and finally after all these years read that interquel manga provided its easily available online. That is unless Shen3 manages ta reach me immediately after I'm done this one.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So cleared Kowloon in Shenmue 2 yet again, somehow the epic staring match is actually even more epic since I know the sequel is just days away, makes me very hyped indeed. The whole of Kowloon is just a blast to play in my opinion, some of my favourite game from any series ever released - you have this strange place your in (Kowloon is such a facinating place), your mainly working with Ren on and off the entire time, and there's a heavy focus in fights in this part, and the antagonists (Don Nui and Yuan) are fantastic. I had such a blast doing all the street fight challenges and then moving onto the totally Virtua Fighter inspired fights which felt suitably badass especially with the moves I've been using. Its just sublime. Then you have the whole Yellowhead bit which is a great "dungeon" (or long fight if I'm thinking about Yakuza). Some great moments between Ren and Ryo, so many badass battles and boss fights. Its all so damn good.

Honestly my only super minor complaint for this bit (and the wider game as a whole) is how the day/night cycle and pedestrian movements aren't quite as complicated as Shenmue 1's were - whether it be because there's just so many more of them this time or because they didn't want to gate certain bits off if you were not in the right place at the right time, people seem to "warp" between areas at times. There's one guy I ended up keeping tabs on (he owns one of the two weapon shops in Kowloon's Thousand White Bld) are he can be seen all over Wan Chai and Kowloon doing stuff, I actually laughed my ass off when I found out he owned a shop in Kowloon, ended up talking to him loads (he recommended me all types of Lucky Hit stuff). There's also one old man in the Stand? (or was it Dimsum) Qtr that has a clone of himself walking around, that was immersion breaking :( (and it always happens in that Qtr, so not a one time glitch, kinda wonder if I can duplicate it in the DC version, but I assume its just because of the sheer huge number of NPCs that little things like this can happen, must be a nightmare to keep track of them all). Night Cycle wise most people don't move depending on the time of day, like kids staying up all night etc. and its just a little inferior to how in Mue 1 you had these people following real cycles and would go home at the end of the day, I don't see that as much in the sequel. Almost all stores are open all night (a very small number do seem to close). As a game its so much better than the first game but that unique experience that 1 has isn't quite as strong here I feel.

Speaking of Lucky Hit though, I've been playing the heck out of that on this replay. So many different tables and rule sets, I genuinely didn't know what I was missing out on until I spent lots of time with it this go round. Love it! Glad it makes a return in Shenmue 3.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Really wish this game had a mini-map rotation off setting.

TeBdUHN.jpg

Lets infiltrate the Yellowhead building to play Hang-On! Immersion breaking much? The first couple floors of that building have some really creepy music. An I'd forgotten entirely about the entrance to that place! Did I mention yet that I really really dislike insta death qtes forcing an entire fights restart? These games are normally better than that but... anyways after 10 fights (3 optional cause I suck at stealth) I beat the game!...

Mb08f2O.jpg

Oh wait theres the whole walking sim part! Did you know QTEs aren't made, but instead occur naturally in nature o.o? Wish I could get truly lost in the forest parts instead of running into weak deadends. I say this despite having ended up going in circles a couple of times!

KfmDu9T.jpg

This part of the games got loads of breathtaking sights!

2chdr8v.jpg

The final notebook message...

9i4BoPZ.jpg

Don't think I missed this! I'm down for replacing hand-to-hand with hack & slash!

Finished just alil over 23 hours making it about 39 hours for both games combined. Ended up fighting against the combat system/camera 29 times (18 mandatory, 11 optional) which is a small step up over Shen1 but still these games are not an never were action heavy. My memories weren't lies! These are still great games that I like alot. They got issues with anything to do with combat but all else is pretty much gold!

"The story goes on..." calling bs on that. If only it were true.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
12553_front.jpg

I dug and dug and dug an found my old copy of Shenmue II (xbox) an what is with that front cover? Why Jianmin? Wheres Xiuying? Whos the dude in the lower left??? An then theres the back.

"interact with over 1000 unique characters!" are there really a 1000 character models? holy moly if so!
"intense combat" lol lol "train and master" lol "real-time fight moves taken from the acclaimed Virtua Fighter series." which isn't even on the xbox but w/e.
"frequent fights" lol
"written and produced by Yu Suzuki legendary creator" wow he was being called legendary back then? I had no idea! Think we need to elevate his status since he achieved legendary so long ago.

Anyways now to rewatch Shenmue The Movie! *
"* play it on any dvd player or your xbox video game system with the dvd playback kit (sold seperately)." oh yeah... MS sold dvd playback... that sure was a thing.

edit!!

Oh my goodness. The jaggies, the jaggies! This video quality does not hold up on modern screens! otoh the vocal audio holds up better than the collections does. An it starts with a scene I didn't encounter on my playthrough, nice! "Your friends... keep those you love close to you..." and then Ryo proceeds to do the exact opposite. Oh the pool thing, I missed that to! I like how even the movies over sailors after mere minutes. "I want to know about the cartel." "I don't know!" immediately cut to Nozomi scene as if he got nothing out of Charlie lol. Those scenes with Ryo walking/running towards the camera look goofy. It is fun watching the actions of qtes without having to focus on the button inputs and interuptions.

How did Zhu Yuanda go to Yuanda Zhu between games o.o? Another scene I missed, no wonder I saw so little of Nozomi! btw not buying move scrolls is canon. Love that sound item get sound played for the Phoenix Mirror. Geez, it took movie Ryo much longer to stumble across the Double Blow tutorial than mine did! That first Chai scene is extremely out of place. No buildup or even mention of the mirror, just straight from Double Blow learning to him jumping away. They skipped the travel agency scam stuff!! Lame! Wow it took all the way until harbor work for the movie to do a free battle scene an it was over even faster than qte ones! Still another Nozomi scene I missed! "Christmas is already over" seems like movie Ryo is was really taking his time. And the movie omits both the search for the motorcycle and drive to the harbor. Boooo. The 70 man battle went much differently here than in my game. Tao Lishao, another reversed name. Whoops. Oooh different Shenhua scene at the very end or am I already misremembering? And then the credit spoil many moments of Shen2 lol, amazing.

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im currently debating whether I should replay these first two before the third. I haven't finished the second for quite a while

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I modded Shenmue II and am now getting black textures on faces. I have put the correct line in my .ini file for special k and it's still happening. I didn't have this problem on Shenmue I. Any ideas how to fix?

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
I modded Shenmue II and am now getting black textures on faces. I have put the correct line in my .ini file for special k and it's still happening. I didn't have this problem on Shenmue I. Any ideas how to fix?
Using Special K is frowned upon by the modding community; there are dedicated modding tools for these games that won't have weird compatibility issues because they're not injecting textures over the top of ones that are already loaded. (And you also won't have to re-texture the same thing multiple times) Check out this thread for instructions on how to properly do texture mods:

The guy doing the HD texture mod uses these same tools / steps.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Using Special K is frowned upon by the modding community; there are dedicated modding tools for these games that won't have weird compatibility issues because they're not injecting textures over the top of ones that are already loaded. (And you also won't have to re-texture the same thing multiple times) Check out this thread for instructions on how to properly do texture mods:

The guy doing the HD texture mod uses these same tools / steps.

Has anyone already compiled and have all Shenmue II texture mods ready to download in this format?