• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone planning to replay I & II after finishing III? :)
I too loved S3. Very tempted to go back to 1 & 2 during the holiday. Will probably go through 1 at least because I kind of rushed it when I played it for the first time last christmas. I wanna plat all 3 games just to get more out of the experience.

Oct 30, 2017
Nearly finished II, enjoyed my time in HK and Kowloon, some nice nostalgic moments but my God I DETEST this getting to Bailu Village bollox.

Thank god its nearly over.

Then on to SIII in the new year.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I bought both Shenmue I and II on PS4 because I've always been intrigued by this series.

I went in knowing virtually nothing about the story, the gameplay mechanics—nada.

I'm playing through the first game right now and I just finished the part where you're trying to find Charlie and after the first fight sequence.

I have no idea what this game is supposed to be. But I'm completely enamored with whatever it is.

The movement mechanics are beyond clunky, it's like trying to move around in a dream or something. Is the third game like this as well? Just curious. Doesn't bother me, but it is strange to say the least.

I suppose the game is trying to teach me where things are, because a lot of what I've done so far has to do with finding a specific building or a specific person in a very same-y looking small town with hostile passers-by and very kind store owners. It's weird. The game definitely makes sure you know who to avoid talking to because they're just so mean.

I am absolutely loving it so far. I think because it was clearly made with a lot of love and the game oozes charm—intentional or not.

It would be great if these were on Switch as well. Seems like a perfect fit.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I bought both Shenmue I and II on PS4 because I've always been intrigued by this series.

I went in knowing virtually nothing about the story, the gameplay mechanics—nada.

I'm playing through the first game right now and I just finished the part where you're trying to find Charlie and after the first fight sequence.

I have no idea what this game is supposed to be. But I'm completely enamored with whatever it is.

The movement mechanics are beyond clunky, it's like trying to move around in a dream or something. Is the third game like this as well? Just curious. Doesn't bother me, but it is strange to say the least.

I suppose the game is trying to teach me where things are, because a lot of what I've done so far has to do with finding a specific building or a specific person in a very same-y looking small town with hostile passers-by and very kind store owners. It's weird. The game definitely makes sure you know who to avoid talking to because they're just so mean.

I am absolutely loving it so far. I think because it was clearly made with a lot of love and the game oozes charm—intentional or not.

It would be great if these were on Switch as well. Seems like a perfect fit.

Glad you are enjoying it. The more you play the first game the better it gets. Shenmue II is the pinnacle of the series for me, hopefully you continue making progress!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
What's the recommended way to play Shenmie I & II on Steam? Any mods I should install? I've finished each games over 10 times each for Dreamcast, and once on ps4.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
What's the recommended way to play Shenmie I & II on Steam? Any mods I should install? I've finished each games over 10 times each for Dreamcast, and once on ps4.

From this page:

Shenmue I & II Mod Database

Shenmue I & II Mod Database Last updated: 25/03/19 Utilities Shenmue Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix - Esppiral Shenmue I & II 16:9 Autofixer - masterchan777 Shenmue I & II 16:9 exe Patcher - ner0 Forklift, a Shenmue Mod Loader - Raymonf & davi Shenmue HD ModTools - derplayer Subtitles...

I would say these are essential:

Shenmue I & II 16:9 exe Patcher - ner0
Forklift, a Shenmue Mod Loader - Raymonf & davi
Shenmue Audio Restoration Project - Dewey

DC music for Shenmue II

Oh shit my bad, your names Paul isn't it? Why did I think Phil! My bad, sir. Apologies!

Then I also recommend these:

HD Environmental Texture Overhaul - Drogean (Nexus)

(S1) Japanese timings + All dialogues

I've been looking into this. AFAIK, the files responsible for the voice timings are the *.pks inside humans.afs. Simply swapping this file with the Dreamcast ntsc-j one causes mayhem because the dubs have different naming schemes and whatnot. But after also putting the Japanese audio files in...

I still haven't played II on Steam yet as the Audio Restoration of the Japanese dub is still in progress, so I played it via Redream on Android on my pre-III playthrough.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Is there an up-to-date list on differences/glitches that are still present on the PC version compared to the DC originals?

I shelved the game a couple weeks after release because lots of little things weren't working right, and I burned myself out basically acting as unpaid QA for the game on the Steam forums.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Is there an up-to-date list on differences/glitches that are still present on the PC version compared to the DC originals?

I shelved the game a couple weeks after release because lots of little things weren't working right, and I burned myself out basically acting as unpaid QA for the game on the Steam forums.

Audio is still half the original bitrate (Audio Restoration mod fixes this). Music is still botched in II especially (mod in my previous post fixes this). Can't throw an enemy into other enemies in Shenmue I.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Audio is still half the original bitrate (Audio Restoration mod fixes this). Music is still botched in II especially (mod in my previous post fixes this). Can't throw an enemy into other enemies in Shenmue I.
Wait what? I can't throw ennemies into each other? I used to do that all the time.

From this page:

Shenmue I & II Mod Database

Shenmue I & II Mod Database Last updated: 25/03/19 Utilities Shenmue Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix - Esppiral Shenmue I & II 16:9 Autofixer - masterchan777 Shenmue I & II 16:9 exe Patcher - ner0 Forklift, a Shenmue Mod Loader - Raymonf & davi Shenmue HD ModTools - derplayer Subtitles...

I would say these two are essential:

Shenmue I & II 16:9 exe Patcher - ner0
Forklift, a Shenmue Mod Loader - Raymonf & davi
Shenmue Audio Restoration Project - Dewey

DC music for Shenmue II

Oh shit my bad, your names Paul isn't it? Why did I think Phil! My bad, sir. Apologies!

Then I also recommend these:

HD Environmental Texture Overhaul - Drogean (Nexus)

(S1) Japanese timings + All dialogues

I've been looking into this. AFAIK, the files responsible for the voice timings are the *.pks inside humans.afs. Simply swapping this file with the Dreamcast ntsc-j one causes mayhem because the dubs have different naming schemes and whatnot. But after also putting the Japanese audio files in...

I still haven't played II on Steam yet as the Audio Restoration of the Japanese dub is still in progress, so I played it via Redream on Android on my pre-III playthrough.

Excellent, thank you so much :)

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Shame about the bug, but I see that humble bundle has the game cheap in the "you can pet the dog" bundle.

Oct 25, 2017
sorry to bump this but i just got this on pc (steam) and the music crackles like crazy! is this a known issue? cant find much about it but apparently there was patches to fix it yet im on the latest release and its crackling like crazy (nothing else crackles on my pc)

master15

Nov 28, 2017
sorry to bump this but i just got this on pc (steam) and the music crackles like crazy! is this a known issue? cant find much about it but apparently there was patches to fix it yet im on the latest release and its crackling like crazy (nothing else crackles on my pc)

Not sure about that particular issue but please ensure you download the community mods which make this game look, sound and play like a dream-

m.youtube.com

Shenmue Dojo Step by Step Mods Guide 2020 Update Video

An update to our 2019 step by step mods intsallation guide for Shenmue I and II on PC. All included mods can be found on the following links:Shenmue Dojo: ht...

Steakman

Jan 25, 2021
Shenmue Dojo have released another podcast episode, taken from the Dojo Post:

What are all those burning Shenmue questions that we all want to know answers to!? What are the Shenmue trees? Did Ryo's father murder Lan Di's? What are the mirrors? Who is Shenhua? What are her powers? How and why does she have them? Is she her own Grandma? :unsure:

We try to attempt to explain all of these plot points from the first 3 Shenmue games, and what exactly we want to see answered in the future of the series!

This episode has a video counterpart over on YouTube that I would recommend if you are able to sit and watch a big 3 hour show! :D, the extra footage to add context will hopefully keep you engaged!

Of course every episode and also our Interview series is available to listen over on any of your favourite podcasting services, such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc. You can also listen over on Anchor: https://anchor.fm/shenmue-dojo

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
Shenmue Dojo have released another podcast episode, taken from the Dojo Post:

What are all those burning Shenmue questions that we all want to know answers to!? What are the Shenmue trees? Did Ryo's father murder Lan Di's? What are the mirrors? Who is Shenhua? What are her powers? How and why does she have them? Is she her own Grandma? :unsure:

We try to attempt to explain all of these plot points from the first 3 Shenmue games, and what exactly we want to see answered in the future of the series!

This episode has a video counterpart over on YouTube that I would recommend if you are able to sit and watch a big 3 hour show! :D, the extra footage to add context will hopefully keep you engaged!

Of course every episode and also our Interview series is available to listen over on any of your favourite podcasting services, such as Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc. You can also listen over on Anchor: https://anchor.fm/shenmue-dojo
i subbed

simply because I'm amazed someone made a podcast dedicated to Shenmue

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Does anyone know if the progress of the now removed Game Pass version saves to the windows store version?

I put about 10 hours into the first game and want to pick it back up, but this was when the game was on PC Game Pass.

Now I feel like playing it again but I don't really want to start over and am hoping to just buy the windows store version through the Xbox App.

Steakman

Jan 25, 2021
Get back up to speed with Shenmue the Anime before the upcoming Episode 3: "Yin & Yang".

This podcast is Shenmue Dojo Show: Episode 3 - Shenmue the Anime #2 "Daybreak" Recap & Discussion.

James, Matt and Titch provide an indepth recap of Episode 2 of the Shenmue Anime, and discuss the episode as a whole, with poetry fun, music and community news too!

Please give us your thoughts and feedback on this episode wherever you please, be it on Twitter, the Forums, or any of our contact options - we'd love to know what you thought!

Visit the Shenmue Dojo Forums to discuss all things Shenmue: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/ind...

Watch the visual show version for this episode on YouTube: https://youtu.be/VmQZzX3-3-Q

Listen to the audio Podcast version via all good Podcast providers and Spotify.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3SHIts3...
Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast...
Anchor: https://anchor.fm/shenmue-dojo