• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
yKLmTDK.jpg

Which version of Shenmue II did we port?
For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:

Snapshots system
Filters
Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing
As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

What features have we added?
As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:

Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
Saving anywhere in both games
HD resolution rendering
Updated UI
New post processing effects for both games
Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms

What does Modern control scheme mean?
Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

Will the games run at 60Hz?
Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?
Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Can the emulated arcade games be played?
We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!

Who do we have to thank for this incredible work?
The amazing team at d3t.

Steam
Xbox Store
PS4 (UK link, check your local store)

New GIFs from the Steam page:

River_v1.JPG

Duck_race_UI_v4.JPG

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn!

I have this pre-ordered on both XB1 and PS4. Need to see if I can find out which one to keep sooner than I thought.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So excited, but i have a feeling we'll see a few threads and posts of people regretting their purchase, expecting something else, complaining about the game structure, or just not "getting it"

Oct 30, 2017
I want to see more trailers and gameplay videos.

Next month.. so close and also very close to the next Yakuza release date :\

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, much sooner than I expected! My big question is whether I want disc or digital? I want digital for the convenience but I also want disc just for the fact that I have it for collection purposes. I dont plan on selling it.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone know all the improvements?
All? No. There's still some stuff under wraps, but might get announced later today when SEGA unveils the release date themselves.

Although the big ticket changes IMO (outside standard stuff like screen res, etc), are dual VO options, and the new control scheme.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Nice. Got my pre-order of the PS4 version for the bargain price of £21.50 locked in. Now all I've got to do is wait.

Not crazy about the idea of playing the first game during summer though. That's a Christmas experience through and through.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I played Shenmue 1 for the first time on the dreamcast 4 years ago and I beat it. So now it is a good time to play Shenmue 2.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Hopefully the port is good. Dreamcast ports on Steam haven't fared too well.
Those original DC games on Steam were a very long time ago, and actually got somewhat cleaned up by SEGA Europe a couple years back out of embarrassment of how they launched.

There were also the very serviceable re-releases of JSR and SA2 in the meanwhile, though JSR was an emulated wrapper if I'm remembering right. All of those DC releases may have been too, but can't confirm.

Shenmue I & II are ported directly from the source code though.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hopefully the port is good. Dreamcast ports on Steam haven't fared too well.

They've been ported from the original source code and the developers have a decent track record of ports, including Burnout Paradise Remastered, and they helped with The Witcher 3 on PS4. Their emulation work on the recent SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection wasn't the best, but this isn't emulation, so there's that.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering when this would be coming out.

Although I am disappointed by the lack of Switch release. I understand 3 might not be possible, but it should be able to handle 1&2 easily.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not to port beg or anything but does anyone know the reason this is not coming to Switch? Did Sega ever give an explanation as to why? It just does not make any sense to me. :(...
Sorry if this has been answered before. Other than that, can't wait to waste countless hours on the damn forklift haha...

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Not to port beg or anything but does anyone know the reason this is not coming to Switch? Did Sega ever give an explanation as to why? It just does not make any sense to me. :(...
Sorry if this has been answered before. Other than that, can't wait to waste countless hours on the damn forklift haha...

"Not to port beg, but..."

I swear, this is quickly becoming another Switch-related meme, just like "perfect for the Switch."

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Played through Shenmue 1 again recently so I'd be tempted to jump to #2 with remaster. I'd be interested to see any potential QOL changes.

This has come at the worst time though, I've banned myself from buying things :(((

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
How does Shenmue compare to the Yakuza series?
They're less similar than people think. You've got a layer of life-sim and detective/adventure game aspects on top of Shenmue that really sets it apart. If both games are action/adventure titles, the emphasis is more on the adventure in Shenmue and you more or less set your own pace. That said, Shenmue can definitely put it's foot to the floor on action too.

Any details regarding the improvements they did for this port?
Full details aren't out yet, but apart from obviously rendering at a higher resolution, you're also looking at a new control scheme/interface and dual VO options. More will probably be unveiled today when SEGA makes the announcement themselves.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
They've been ported from the original source code and the developers have a decent track record of ports, including Burnout Paradise Remastered, and they helped with The Witcher 3 on PS4. Their emulation work on the recent SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection wasn't the best, but this isn't emulation, so there's that.
I don't believe D3T even wrote the emulator in that collection anyway. It's most likely the same one SEGA have been using since last gen. D3T specifically point out they only did the "bedroom" hub and the additional features/functionality, as well as the shovel work getting it to consoles.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Not to port beg, but..."

I swear, this is quickly becoming another Switch-related meme, just like "perfect for the Switch."
LOL I know I just felt like I had to put that disclaimer out or else...
Anyways, I'm still buying it for PS4, the business decision not to bring it is what baffles me that's all.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I believe the reason given is that the studio is already handling a release on three platforms and wants to focus on those rather than adding a fourth.

Never say never, though.