• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I didn't think they'd be up for pre-order so soon!

Copped a PS4 and Xbox One version. I'd wager I'll play the Xbox One version more since I'm just more used to that style controller from playing them before, but I still wanted a PS4 version to match my Shenmue 3 PS4 physical copy that should be coming in 20XX.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Lol. Considering how little Sony is doing as of right now (save for showing it at E3, which was more of a gain for them than for Yu Suzuki) I wonder what Microsoft was willing to do :'')
In fairness, that E3 reveal was an incredible way to get the Kickstarter exposure. Even if Sony lapped up the glory, there probably wasn't a better way to launch the crowdfunding campaign.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, that E3 reveal was an incredible way to get the Kickstarter exposure. Even if Sony lapped up the glory, there probably wasn't a better way to launch the crowdfunding campaign.

It was but considering its Shenmue 3, I think numbers would've been the same. I don't think Sony was doing them a favor, more like doing a favor to themselves.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It was but considering its Shenmue 3, I think numbers would've been the same. I don't think Sony was doing them a favor, more like doing a favor to themselves.
Don't take the success it had for granted, nobody involved thought it was a sure thing. Probably not even Yu Suzuki.

my Shenmue 3 PS4 physical copy that should be coming in 201X.
Fixed that for you. Well, unless it gets lost in the post.

It was recently noticed Shenmue III has a provisional PEGI rating. Other games published by Deep Silver got theirs within 6-10 months of release. No guarantees on when it might actually come out, but it bodes well for the game not slipping any further than Q2 2019.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Didn't they have about 2 million dollars just a few short hours after, or maybe even quicker? No way in hell that would have happened that fast without all that exposure.. if it had just been some article on a gaming site you managed to catch a day or two later before it was gone from sight forever, many people would never even have known about it. The E3 reveal absolutely helped the success of the Kickstarter. No doubt about it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take the success it had for granted, nobody involved thought it was a sure thing. Probably not even Yu Suzuki.

Fixed that for you. Well, unless it gets lost in the post.

It was recently noticed Shenmue III has a provisional PEGI rating. Other games published by Deep Silver got theirs within 6-10 months of release. No guarantees on when it might actually come out, but it bodes well for the game not slipping any further than Q2 2019.
Video Games
To be honest, I think it had more to do with Yu Suzuki being humble. The success was granted. In fact, the bad management and some "concerned trolling" about Sony funds kinda hindered the success imo. If Not-Castlevania could reach 5.5 million dollars, it was a given for Shenmue 3 to do as much if not more.

Didn't they have about 2 million dollars just a few short hours after, or maybe even quicker? No way in hell that would have happened that fast without all that exposure.. if it had just been some article on a gaming site you managed to catch a day or two later before it was gone from sight forever, many people would never even have known about it. The E3 reveal absolutely helped the success of the Kickstarter. No doubt about it.

The E3 exposure allowed to bring the money faster. I remember rushing to KS when I saw it live and even despite that I was only in the first 3500 backers.
But even without it, you can be sure that it wouldn't have been "some article on gaming site". It would've been first page EVERYWHERE. To say the E3 exposure didn't help would be a lie. It definitely helped. To say it was Sony's doing a favour to Shenmue 3 would be wrong though. At the very least, it was a common interest. I would even say it was more of a favor for Sony.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind another delay actually, if that would help to improve the final game. We can wait some other time...

J3wB0y_072

Feb 18, 2018
I wonder, just for curiosity... Is Shenmue the oldest game to receive a port/rema on the PS4? Not counting Crash Bandicoot, that was a remake.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder, just for curiosity... Is Shenmue the oldest game to receive a port/rema on the PS4? Not counting Crash Bandicoot, that was a remake.
Nah. There are loads of Hamster ports of 80s arcade games on PSN and quite a few older SNK titles there too. The King of Fighters 97 just came to the console with online play to boot.

Earliest 3D game though maybe?

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It was just a joke man, relax.
Don't worry, I know. That's why I was kidding around with the bit about the post.

I wouldn't mind another delay actually, if that would help to improve the final game. We can wait some other time...
Nobody would really hold it against Ys Net if they decided they wanted another couple of months to work on the game, but at the same time I feel there's still like a glimmer of hope that they can get it done for 2018. We'll probably know either way in a few months.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat that these are getting a remaster. Never got to play any of the games and with all the Shenmue 3 stuff it got my interested about the series. The price is really cheap too and I assume will be even cheaper when the prime 20% discount gets applied. Will try and see if I can afford it later this year when it releases.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Nobody would really hold it against Ys Net if they decided they wanted another couple of months to work on the game
Especially now that we got some remaster action. I'd love to get 3 this year but I'm not holding my breath, I'm guessing 2nd half of 2019... That was pretty much my prediction since day 1...

8_bit_tony

Jan 29, 2018
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Really tempted to pre-order, but am kind of waiting for any sort of Limited Edition, Steel Case or places to have a better pre-order incentive.

Haven't pre-ordered a game since the Last of Us on the PS3, so I'm kind of out of touch with pre-ordering. I'm guessing we're all in agreement now there won't be any other versions announced of this and just a case of finding the best offer and cost and going for that?

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017

I disagree, PlayStation did a favor for Shenmue fans and especially Yu Suzuki. Sony just finished showing the reveal of FF7 Remake, with an insane level of hype. They absolutely did not need to support Shenmue if they didn't want to. They chose to support it, and Mark Cerny from PlayStation actually respects Yu Suzuki, which is why Cerny and Suzuki did the post mortem of the first Shenmue prior to the announcement. They even gave Yu Suzuki the stage...that was an incredible moment.

Also millions of people watched that PlayStation press conference. It's why they do press conferences for massive exposure. Shenmue III being revealed at that press conference got people who weren't even fans of the franchise to support it on Kickstarter, and definitely got people talking about Shenmue that wasn't just fans on small forums.

It obviously helps PlayStation just like any third party or second party release would help, but it absolutely benefited the fanbase of Shenmue and Yu Suzuki himself way more.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, PlayStation did a favor for Shenmue fans and especially Yu Suzuki. Sony just finished showing the reveal of FF7 Remake, with an insane level of hype. They absolutely did not need to support Shenmue if they didn't want to. They chose to support it, and Mark Cerny from PlayStation actually respects Yu Suzuki, which is why Cerny and Suzuki did the post mortem of the first Shenmue prior to the announcement. They even gave Yu Suzuki the stage...that was an incredible moment.

Also millions of people watched that PlayStation press conference. It's why they do press conferences for massive exposure. Shenmue III being revealed at that press conference got people who weren't even fans of the franchise to support it on Kickstarter, and definitely got people talking about Shenmue that wasn't just fans on small forums.

It obviously helps PlayStation just like any third party or second party release would help, but it absolutely benefited the fanbase of Shenmue and Yu Suzuki himself way more.

Yeah, sure, let's pretend Shenmue 3, the sequel to one of the most beloved franchise, which has gone dodo, close to vaporware statut, with an unfinished story, is the same as having Far Cry on stage or something in the line. Let's be honest, it's not. It was a big name to have, it was something that was on every wishlist.

You're saying it as if it was a favour, no, it wasn't. It's like saying "Sony didn't need The Last Guardian, because they had FFVII". If you ask anyone "what was so special about Sony E3 2015", they'll tell you "FFVII, Shenmue 3, TLG".

It was no favour here, but mutual help at best.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, sure, let's pretend Shenmue 3, the sequel to one of the most beloved franchise, which has gone dodo, close to vaporware statut, with an unfinished story, is the same as having Far Cry on stage or something in the line. Let's be honest, it's not. It was a big name to have, it was something that was on every wishlist.

You're saying it as if it was a favour, no, it wasn't. It's like saying "Sony didn't need The Last Guardian, because they had FFVII". If you ask anyone "what was so special about Sony E3 2015", they'll tell you "FFVII, Shenmue 3, TLG".

It was no favour here, but mutual help at best.

Like it or not without PlayStation's initial support we wouldn't be getting Shenmue I & II this year, and we especially wouldn't be getting Shenmue III like it is today.

If PlayStation didn't give it that limelight who knows what the state of Shenmue would be now? The Shenmue franchise is amazing, but Shenmue was a financial failure, and Sony threw them a bone. Hence why other companies and especially Sega the owner of the IP didn't want to touch it.

That press conference would have been special with or without Shenmue. Shenmue is my favorite franchise of all time, but FF7 is leaps and bounds the star of that show. The Last Guardian was a first party title...so that's a completely different story compared to Shenmue. That press conference to me is obviously more special because of Shenmue III, but that press conference would still be considered amazing without it.

We can agree to disagree. Just remember the state of Shenmue before that conference. It changed drastically in a positive direction for Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue franchise.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Like it or not without PlayStation's initial support we wouldn't be getting Shenmue I & II this year, and we especially wouldn't be getting Shenmue III like it is today.

If PlayStation didn't give it that limelight who knows what the state of Shenmue would be now? The Shenmue franchise is amazing, but Shenmue was a financial failure, and Sony threw them a bone. Hence why other companies and especially Sega the owner of the IP didn't want to touch it.

That press conference would have been special with or without Shenmue. Shenmue is my favorite franchise of all time, but FF7 is leaps and bounds the star of that show. The Last Guardian was a first party title...so that's a completely different story compared to Shenmue. That press conference to me is obviously more special because of Shenmue III, but that press conference would still be considered amazing without it.

We can agree to disagree. Just remember the state of Shenmue before that conference. It changed drastically in a positive direction for Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue franchise.

Like it or not, there are things called facts. None of the facts corroborates with your claim. Shenmue I and II wouldn't exist without PlayStation initial support ?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...-works-before-shenmue-iii-announcement.37470/
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/04/...-in-the-works-before-shenmue-iii-announcement

It was in discussion before even Shenmue III was announced. SEGA Europe was pushing for it
That said, Clark believes the re-releases would have happened eventually even without the existence of Shenmue III, citing a general increase in global appetite for Japanese games, and for classic Sega IP.

"I think it was inevitable Shenmue I & II was going to come out; the Western market was expanding in its desire for more Japanese content," he said.

PC releases of Bayonetta and Vanquish were well received, the Yakuza series is more popular than ever, and Clark says the trend in terms of Sega titles began with the 2014 PC release of 2008's Valkyria Chronicles.

Sony didn't "threw them a bone". They're not the one who brought it back. It was Shibuya Production, who's the actual producer of the game:
http://www.shibuya-productions.com/fr/projets/shenmue-iii.html,010

What Sony did effectively as of today was to show it on scene, which then again unless you want to rewrite history, was a mutual benefit at best. Let's not pretend Shenmue wasn't in all the wishlists all these years. We're not agreeing to disagree. I stand on facts. I stand on numbers. The state of Shenmue before that conference was dead. But the conference is a starting point because of the announcement. It's not what revived it.

But we're going off-topic right now.

I don't think he was at all. The post he made completely made sense in every way...

Not at all, hence the reasons I gave.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
What is it with this fanbase and strange superiority complexes and lack of humility? You'd think someone who fully appreciates a story like Shenmue would be beyond such petty things... Never forget JIE...

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Nah. There are loads of Hamster ports of 80s arcade games on PSN and quite a few older SNK titles there too. The King of Fighters 97 just came to the console with online play to boot.

Earliest 3D game though maybe?

Mega Man Legacy Collections and Disney Afternoon Collection also have NES/SNES games.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just happy Shenmue I, II, and III are coming, regardless of different opinions on the matter and how they came to be. I appreciate PlayStation, Shibuya Productions, and the fans for making this happen in 2015.

Hopefully we get to reap the benefits soon.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Sony's involvement/help, could they have done more? Sure, they could've agreed to publish the game themselves, but they weren't willing to take that risk. No one in the industry really believed in Shenmue as a franchise. If they had, development on the game would have started long before 2015. I recall reading a quote from Yu Suzuki, I believe from an interveiw when the Kickstarter campaign was ongoing, that he'd approached pretty much every publisher in the industry about Shenmue 3, and no one would take him on without serious creative concessions that he wasn't willing to make.

I think its easy to underestimate the extent the announcement on Sony's stage propelled the hype for the project now. Going back and watching those reactions, though, I believe the campaign would have fallen far short of the 6.3 million they raised without that buzz from the E3 announcement, while still meeting its initial 2 million goal for a stripped down version of Shenmue 3.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Who would've thought that we'd be getting Shenmue I and II ports alongside Shenmue III all at the same year/a year apart? 4 years ago nobody even thought we'd be getting 3. I trully hope both do well enough for Sega to reconsider continuing the saga, maybe even with the Yakuza engine.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Deep Silver probably has first dibs on sequels, and I don't know why they would transition to the Yakuza engine after investing in Unreal.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Deep Silver probably has first dibs on sequels, and I don't know why they would transition to the Yakuza engine after investing in Unreal.
I said that because Yu is doing his own thing now, he needed an engine to make the game and Unreal was quite good for this particular case. A 4th game may have Sega involved in it (if the ports do good and even more if 3 sells too), so that would allow Yu to use the Yaluza engine.
Of course they could simply continue using Unreal, I guess it depends on which one would fit better for a Shenmue game.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I said that because Yu is doing his own thing now, he needed an engine to make the game and Unreal was quite good for this particular case. A 4th game may have Sega involved in it (if the ports do good and even more if 3 sells too), so that would allow Yu to use the Yaluza engine.
Of course they could simply continue using Unreal, I guess it depends on which one would fit better for a Shenmue game.

I personally don't think the Yakuza engine is a right fit for Shenmue. Hopefully Unreal Engine is the right fit it needs.

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
Like it or not, there are things called facts. None of the facts corroborates with your claim. Shenmue I and II wouldn't exist without PlayStation initial support ?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...-works-before-shenmue-iii-announcement.37470/
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/04/...-in-the-works-before-shenmue-iii-announcement

It was in discussion before even Shenmue III was announced. SEGA Europe was pushing for it
That said, Clark believes the re-releases would have happened eventually even without the existence of Shenmue III, citing a general increase in global appetite for Japanese games, and for classic Sega IP.

"I think it was inevitable Shenmue I & II was going to come out; the Western market was expanding in its desire for more Japanese content," he said.

PC releases of Bayonetta and Vanquish were well received, the Yakuza series is more popular than ever, and Clark says the trend in terms of Sega titles began with the 2014 PC release of 2008's Valkyria Chronicles.

Sony didn't "threw them a bone". They're not the one who brought it back. It was Shibuya Production, who's the actual producer of the game:
http://www.shibuya-productions.com/fr/projets/shenmue-iii.html,010

What Sony did effectively as of today was to show it on scene, which then again unless you want to rewrite history, was a mutual benefit at best. Let's not pretend Shenmue wasn't in all the wishlists all these years. We're not agreeing to disagree. I stand on facts. I stand on numbers. The state of Shenmue before that conference was dead. But the conference is a starting point because of the announcement. It's not what revived it.

But we're going off-topic right now.

Not at all, hence the reasons I gave.
SEGA Europe wanted to do the Remasters yes, but there's no guarantee it would ever happen. That would be up to SEGA Japan, and until recently SEGA Japan wanted nothing to do with Shenmue, hence why it was dead for over a decade. It's true SEGA allowed Yu Suzuki usage of the Shenmue license for a kickstarter, but notice there was no support beyond this. Despite being clamored for by fans, Shenmue wasn't strong in the eyes of SEGA Japan, they had no confidence in it and they're the ones calling the shots.

Now you can argue the kickstarter would have been successful with or without the announcement on Sony's stage, but almost no one would agree that being announced solely through a press release would garner the same amount of attention as an announcement at e3, on Sony's stage, in that moment following the announcement of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. There's no doubt Sony helped the Shenmue franchise with that kind of publicity. They have these e3 showcases and announcements on stage for a reason, any game developer would want to have that.

So while yeah you could call it a mutual benefit, that would be kinda missing the point imo of the long reaching benefit that moment was for Shenmue. I guarantee you there are many people who will pick up Shenmue 1-2 then 3 solely because they saw it announced right there at e3. It was very much a big deal to be announced at that moment in time and at that stage.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
When you boil it down, an engine is just a set of tools for game creation. Nothing about the Dragon Engine would make it easier to develop a Shenmue game, switching to it would just throw away the years of experience Ys Net built up developing III on UE4.

Given Yu's comments on engines, he'd probably prefer to develop his own if given the option, but I think he's pragmatic to know that unless part of the game design is totally incompatible with the UE4 tools; it'd be quicker, cheaper, and easier to remain on UE4 even if Shenmue IV was made with a reasonable budget from SEGA.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yu Suzuki approached Microsoft before the Kickstarter, but they weren't willing to give him the support Sony would; so that's why the deal was made with them instead.

Nothing weird about it. Shenmue topped requested game polls from Sony and Microsoft, and both companies paid lip service to the fanbase - but Sony were the ones who actually did anything; so that's why they've got (likely timed) exclusivity.

Any reliable source for that? Because it sounds fishy, considering that basically all that Sony did was give them a slot at their conference.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A theme included on psn would be nice, I'd consider changing my default blue for the first time.
Not gonna lie, rocked P5 for a month or so untill I finished the game. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.