• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
DONE!!!

got a great deal!
Screenshot_20180426-162226.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Pretty sure II didn't have Coke machines in any release. It did have Sapporo machines, though.
While this was the case, I think in this day & age it would be great to have them see if Coca-Cola and Timex are down to get their brand in the game, seeing as how they (well, Coca Cola anyway) are everywhere anyway!

In fact, the game has some spots ripe for actual brands to go, instead of fake ones, so long as they make sense (as in, were around back in the 80s).

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
While this was the case, I think in this day & age it would be great to have them see if Coca-Cola and Timex are down to get their brand in the game, seeing as how they (well, Coca Cola anyway) are everywhere anyway!

In fact, the game has some spots ripe for actual brands to go, instead of fake ones, so long as they make sense (as in, were around back in the 80s).
Doesn't look like SEGA could get the Coke and Timex licences back, judging from the reveal trailer and the designed watch UI. They might have had more luck with domestic brands like Softbank, Hitachi, and Sapporo though; but we'll have to actually play the game to know.

I don't think anybody would really hold it against SEGA if they couldn't get any of the tie-in brands back for this version, though.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

The numbers are not too surprising considering Shenmue III has not been announced for Xbox One yet. Still, I imagine this will be a very healthy release across all platforms. Still honestly kind of blows my mind that we are getting a non-limited physical edition.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Have the XOne version pre-ordered on Amazon. Will be purchasing a digital copy on Xbox store as well, can't wait for this!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
In hindsight I am honestly happy it took this long for us to get proper ports of Shenmue I and II. With the amount of time that has passed the games seem much more unique and obscure than they actually are to newcomers. Plus could you imagine these getting a physical release in say, 2010? Not a chance. Hell, they would probably be as botched as the Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC versions of Crazy Taxi are if they came out then.

I love all of you guys for never giving up though. I honestly think we even have Shenmue IV in the bag at this point too.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I wish I felt like Shenmue IV was a lock.

The battles for III and these rereleases have been won, but the war aint' over until the series is complete.

Apr 21, 2018
I wish I felt like Shenmue IV was a lock.

The battles for III and these rereleases have been won, but the war aint' over until the series is complete.
f
I couldn't agree more but i even wouldn't say that rereleases battle is won.
If the fans don't continue their fight, the sales will collapse within a few months (other gamers would buy it for 5 box on steam in 2021)

In addition, even if Shenmue 3 has shown improvement (the little girl, so Shenmue 1)
Sega and DAISUKE SATO especially must help YS Net to give 5 Stars character design to Shenmue 3.

(dreampassport)

Sato is the man behind all those incredible 3D models from Shenmue 1 to Yakuza 6. (and the man has an impressive background)

The spirit of Shenmue will be fully recovered with Sato. (for the moment, i don't recognize Ryo and Shenhua :/, even if i know Suzuki is working hard on it)

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
*character model stuff*
I'm not really gonna get too deep into the abstract discussion on character models for III, but Daisuke Sato has not been a 3D artist for many years and graduated into producing and directing on the Yakuza series almost a decade ago. It's very unlikely even if Shenmue IV was made at SEGA he would accept being bumped back down to an artist's job.

Even then, Sato was only one 3D designer of the nearly 20 that worked on both Shenmue games. He's not even credited as a "Main Designer" either. He's gone on to bigger things since so he's clearly talented, but you can't attribute those old character models to him alone.

What we've been seeing so far on III is just the process of rediscovering and redeveloping an art style that evokes the old graphics, but is still a distinct evolution. It's not an easy balancing act, which is compounded by the obvious constraints on budget and the volume of NPCs required, but they're clearly getting somewhere with it now - like you said yourself. I mean it went from this to this in just a few months.

I think if Shenmue III is selling decently, Deep Silver might want to deep their toe in.
Y'know, I could even see a deal between Deep Silver and SEGA to co-finance a future game, if I & II and III all do reasonably well. Part of why Shenmue III exists at all is because the financial risk is being spread over multiple parties, and that might be the case for a future sequel too; just without the need for crowdfunding.

Apr 21, 2018
(...)Daisuke Sato has not been a 3D artist for many years and graduated into producing and directing on the Yakuza series almost a decade ago. It's very unlikely even if Shenmue IV was made at SEGA he would accept being bumped back down to an artist's job.

(...)

Y'know, I could even see a deal between Deep Silver and SEGA to co-finance a future game(...).

Yeah I knew most of the story.
I just wanted to highlight his talent (often in the shadow of Nagoshi, barely mentioned in many websites) and meant that Shenmue 3 's characters would be so much stylish with him and members of Yakuza Studio. Sato was a symbol for me.

I also agree about Sega and deep silver by the way.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I definitely think we'll see Shenmue through to its conclusion provided Shenmue 3 isn't a total cluster fuck. I think there's a basic level of support for the series that will make it feasible in a way that wasn't in the past. I wouldn't guarantee the games will be as advanced or complex as the first two games because that would require a level of financial success that might be difficult, but we'll see...

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for Steam to pre-order it. Every copy counts for a future Shenmue 4.

Now all I need from Sega is a Skies of Arcadia HD and a sequel and we're good. Both Shenmue and Skies were my favorite games from the Dreamcast.

Oct 30, 2017
VctvaUa.png

I find it pretty shocking, TBH, that Shenmue 1 & 2 is currently the #1 PS4 game on Amazon.

Sega must be feeling really good about this series right now. I don't know how many units they push per day on average, but that means Shenmue 1 & 2 is at least tracking more copies today than freaking God of War.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
VctvaUa.png

I find it pretty shocking, TBH, that Shenmue 1 & 2 is currently the #1 PS4 game on Amazon.

Sega must be feeling really good about this series right now. I don't know how many units they push per day on average, but that means Shenmue 1 & 2 is at least tracking more copies today than freaking God of War.
Its constantly on the best sellers list since it was available for preorder. Always puts a smile on my face

Oct 30, 2017
I know Shenmue IV depends on Shenmue III, but I'm feeling pretty confident we're going to at least see Shenmue IV at this rate. There's obviously a demand for Shenmue, so I suspect the third game will sell well.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, it still seems unreal that we are not only seeing a new entry in the Shenmue franchise, after all of these years, but that Shenmue I & II are being re-released! Man, I guess I'm wanting to re-live the magical years that were 1999 and 2000 I had with the Dreamcast. Nostalgia is always deceptive, but I really hope new players will understand, or at least get a glimpse of, how amazing, and even groundbreaking, these games were.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
If Shenmue 1-3 hopefully sells well enough for Shenmue IV to come out, I'm hoping Shenmue IV is the last game. Not sure how much longer of my life I'm willing to wait to finish a story that started in 1999...

Oct 30, 2017
There really hasn't even been much of a marketing push and Shenmue 1 & 2 is currently only being outsold by Mario & Donkey Kong.

How many units a day do you reckon Amazon sells? What gets a game into the top 100? I know it's based on daily movement, not overall movement, but it's still exciting to see Shenmue in such good company.

It'll be interesting to see if Shenmue can hang in the top 100 until release. I'm sure most of the sales are going to the hardcore maniacs like us, so I expect a major slowdown soon.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I dunno if it's just the hardcore pushing it to the top of the Amazon charts. It's been almost three weeks since the announcement, and pre-orders have been open for a little while too. Maybe the zeitgeist is catching on and people want to try these games out.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not available to pre-order from Amazon JP. I'm actually expecting some neat extras from the Japanese edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.