• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Nice, 16:9 cut scene support seems to be in. I hope it is for every cutscene and we don't have a mishmash. If there's characters just off screen who don't animate surely they could do some filler stuff etc. I'd love a clean unblemished 16:9 and I'll be happy. Don't care about the other enhancements some people would like, like redrawn textures or whatever. Just get me the original game with widescreen support.

So happy I get to play Shenmue again and have it safeguarded for generations to come!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Steam page was updated with some screens, and some gifs! I think the screens may be a bit old however, as a couple turned up on the Japanese Shenmue I & II site not long after the game was announced.

River_v1.JPG

Duck_race_UI_v4.JPG

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can hardly contain my excitement as a Shenmue fan. Just finished my survey for Shenmue III, and it looks like the re-releases are coming sooner rather than later.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Duck Racing
and the road to unlocking that mini game might be one of my favourite optional quests/secrets in any game. It really cracked me up when I first played it, plus you get to do some pretty awesome fights while working on unlocking it. Can't wait to do it all over again.

Oct 27, 2017
Duck Racing
and the road to unlocking that mini game might be one of my favourite optional quests/secrets in any game. It really cracked me up when I first played it, plus you get to do some pretty awesome fights while working on unlocking it. Can't wait to do it all over again.

I enjoyed it but also hope they just unlock the mode as a bonus after you finish the game.

Oct 27, 2017
August would definitely be perfect, but we're getting close so it seems unlikely. Maybe December then. September - October are very much overcrowded, and I think November has some heavy hitters.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I hate how everything starts coming out end of August, give us summer(june-July cause I know y'all smartasses will try to correct me)games!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Credit to Wario64 - Australian Xbox Live updated the release date to 8/20/18. Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but would make sense.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/shenmue-i-ii/bzzp5hfc3pgj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Fuck. I think this is it. It's one day out, but that's basically the "leaked" release date that I'd put faith in being legit*.

*some Shenmue community members were tipped off about Shenmue I & II ahead of the announcement, which included a wholesaler putting the game up early along with basically this date

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
FYI - August 21st is the first day of Gamescom where the show opens for the press and trade visitors, at which Shenmue III is very heavily rumoured to be appearing.

That week could be PACKED with Shenmue stuff if this pans out.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
One can only hope. I'm liking a lot of Yakuza 0, but its more of a cheesy/parody/serious/crazy "game" than what Shenmue gave to me: a serious "adventure" game where you go at your own pace and not everything isn't presented like a carnival with stands of mini-games/events every corner of the corridor you look.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
The small size of the QTE button prompt bothers me, but I suppose it is not a huge issue. Probably something they can patch anyways.
This is actually a gripe that I've had with several games recently. I like playing games and watching movies/TV with subtitles enabled, and there seems to be a trend in recent years where the size of text is optimized for PC monitors instead of TV's. I first noticed it with Xenoblade X on Wii U, where I had to sit closer to the TV to read the subtitles, then again with Ni No Kuni 2 on PS4. (Xenoblade 2 on Switch actually fixed the problem of it's predecessor and has a comfortable default) I was glad when Detroit on PS4 game the option to set the subtitle size, because I opted for the largest one. I'm fine with that size for the PC version since I'll actually play that on a PC monitor, and it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the PS4 version at that size because it's just colors and symbols but I can sympathize with people who consider it too small.

In a year or two it won't matter, because I plan to buy a larger TV once they start selling ones with ATSC 3.0 tuners in the US (why buy now and have to put up with a converter box later?) but in the meantime I hope developers try to account for the fact that people still play games from couches. (Does not bother me for this game, just felt like throwing my thoughts on the situation into the mix)

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, I think that August 20th date is the release of the game. Not too far off now! Just enough time for most people to play through Yakuza 0 on PC too I imagine.

SEGA is teasing something about fans posting their collections online on Twitter tomorrow. Sadly I had to sell off most of my Shenmue games and memorabilia (just most of my gaming collection in general) just to make ends meet years back but I might still post something.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think that August 20th date is the release of the game. Not too far off now! Just enough time for most people to play through Yakuza 0 on PC too I imagine.

SEGA is teasing something about fans posting their collections online on Twitter tomorrow. Sadly I had to sell off most of my Shenmue games and memorabilia (just most of my gaming collection in general) just to make ends meet years back but I might still post something.

I don't know if the average player has enough time to do a Yakuza game like that if they care about completing most of the content. Hell, 0 took me a few weeks even while I was unemployed/injured at the time.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Steam page was updated with some screens, and some gifs! I think the screens may be a bit old however, as a couple turned up on the Japanese Shenmue I & II site not long after the game was announced.

River_v1.JPG

Duck_race_UI_v4.JPG

yes

Credit to Wario64 - Australian Xbox Live updated the release date to 8/20/18. Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but would make sense.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/shenmue-i-ii/bzzp5hfc3pgj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

YES

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, I was hopeful that it wouldn't release near the end of the year, but next month is better than I had hoped.

Gonna be a busy August for me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

River_v1.JPG

Duck_race_UI_v4.JPG

So looking at these gifs... do we know for sure that the Shenmue 2 remaster is based on the Dreamcast version and not the Xbox version?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So looking at these gifs... do we know for sure that the Shenmue 2 remaster is based on the Dreamcast version and not the Xbox version?
Xbox, as you can see in the duck racing gif it has the stencil shadows. However if you look at the other gif and the screens released from the Shenmue II portion of the collection, the overdone bloom and motion blur aren't present; and will most likely be a.) options you can toggle on and off, and b.) revised for a subtler look anyway.

Basically, it seems like they're trying to split the difference between the versions. It'd make sense, considering how NA's primary exposure to Shenmue II would be through the Xbox version, and for PAL/Asian territories the Dreamcast version.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any major differences?

I'm having trouble recalling the differences off of the top of my head but:
  1. The game had a camera mode (not entirely unlike the screen grab feature the X1 and PS4 currently have)
  2. Don't quote me on this but I believe it had higher quality audio?
  3. It definitely had higher quality visuals. While they went a little crazy with the bloom and motion blur they did a lot of texture clean up, improved the lighting and I believe they even improved some character models
I want to say that there were some QOL and other misc improvements with the Xbox version but that pretty much covers it. The other differences like English VO vs Japanese VO seem to be irrelevant for this release of the game.

Xbox, as you can see in the duck racing gif it has the stencil shadows. However if you look at the other gif and the screens released from the Shenmue II portion of the collection, the overdone bloom and motion blur aren't present; and will most likely be a.) options you can toggle on and off, and b.) revised for a subtler look anyway.

Basically, it seems like they're trying to split the difference between the versions. It'd make sense, considering how NA's primary exposure to Shenmue II would be through the Xbox version, and for PAL/Asian territories the Dreamcast version.

Wow, that's surprising but great to hear

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
And another game goes on my wait for Black Friday list. Mid August to early October is a fucking killer this year.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
Awesome news that the poster and game case sleeve are both reversible! Got 3 copies coming so 1 of each, and one sealed :D! Going to be an insane 7 days with S1/S2 and then Yakuza Kiwami 2!! I was already losing my mind waiting for Kiwami 2 so this just makes it even better! Time to take a picture of the collection and post to twitter for #Shenmueday!

Status
Not open for further replies.