• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
21819.jpg

I'm very appreciative of the fact that your profile pic is of Vinny and you're posting in this thread. What do you think are the chances of them doing a Shenmue 2 Endurance Run? I hope it happens but I think it has maybe a 50/50 shot of happening.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, FAQ confirm Xbox source code with Dreamcast featurs added in. Best of two world I guess. Audio sound a little compress though

I'm so in anyway :)

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff with that FAQ. Answers pretty much all the questions I had. Pity about the cutscenes but I doubt that'll bother me going by the trailer shown. As long as it doesn't have any bugs (that weren't present in the first release) I'll be happy. Also, yay for save anywhere, hopefully that means I can save before Chai fight 1 in Shenmue and reload easier if I don't win. That was always a pain in the original one when I was trying to get that specific scene.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm glad I can finally, finally put playing this on an emulator to bed. DEMUL was accurate but fucking hell was it unreliable with performance.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I love the soft bloom they added. Really make the game looks softer as opposed to rough because of the higher res.

Oct 25, 2017
In soooo fast, I'm ready to finally play Shenmue II. And I'm really loving the pre-release discount for this and Yakuza 0.

Also man, seeing Shenmue's Dreamcast-ass graphics again really makes me want to see Skies of Arcadia get this treatment sometime in the future and I'm usually not one to harp on its port. Shenmue, Skies, SA2 and other titles just really hit that Dreamcast visual identity nostalgia (despite them releasing in 3 different years).

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though this will be locked 30fps, my biggest fear for this is stuttering. Please just be smooth.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yes on the date! So close i cannot wait!!! Have it pre ordered on both Consoles as i want to make sure i can play on future systems.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ive never played any of the games, should I start to get prepared for this HD version or just go into that fresh?

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this .

They had to start somewhere , so if they started from the dreamcast version it would be probably harder for them.
Save anywhere is welcome , all mini games are in another good point.
Japanese and english voice track , excellent point
Analog stick for ryo is good news , but i might just stick to the d-pad , especially during some moments in the game where precision was key.

That purchase is secured.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Even though this will be locked 30fps, my biggest fear for this is stuttering. Please just be smooth.
It would be very very unlikely. The original games had hard-coded animations with no frame skipping, so they would just slow down (but draw every single frame) when there was a performance dip. Since they're ports of games from 17-19 years ago, and they haven't updated any of the geometry to make it more complex, modern hardware should be 10's of times more than enough to run this.

I love the new trailer, it looks great and I can't wait to start replaying the games next month.

I really wish they would've have spent the time to review the cutscenes in the first game though. Based on the work that was done with the Dreamcast version to patch for 16x9, the cutscenes use the same rendering logic and projection matrix as the rest of the game so it's not a matter of being difficult to do. They would have had to explicitly add new logic to change back to 4x3 for cutscenes, which they did because of the few scenes that have NPC's outside of the visible area that shouldn't be seen. I would've preferred they just switch back for the individual cutscenes that needed it instead of everything, which is what the Sonic Adventure 2 PC port did. It's sad that they didn't want to put any money into enhancing the ports a bit with the higher quality audio assets that we know they still have, but I don't really think that's anyone's fault because it was probably hard enough in the first place to get this project off the ground given how the series did the first time around. I wish they'd just let me come out there and spruce up their port for them. :-P

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I do wish they'd put a bit more TLC into it, it is a very bare bones port with a few additions. The 4:3 cutscenes is a disappointment, I thought that was something they could fix. I mean they have the assets, the cut scenes are drawn in-engine, if there some scenes with pop up and non moving NPCs I really thought they would try and fix that.

Ah well at least we're getting the original experience+ rather than something that's less than the original, if you know what I mean.

I also wonder about the analogue controls, they don't state they've changed the controls, merely that they've pretty much just mapped them onto analanalogue sticks... So will it still be very clunky and tank like? Will there actually be analogue movement? I guess we won't really know until people get hands on and let us know.

I'm just happy these games are available again and if sales are brisk and Shenmue 3 does well it's never to say they won't revisit these and spruce them up further down the line.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I loved the original Shenmue on Dreamcast, but never got the play 2 (never owned an OG Xbox)

So I'm looking forward to playing this again on my PS4/PC.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
4/3 cutscene is really bad after playing hudless and glitched 16/9 on emulator.
And nothing about the free camera with the modern controle ? I don't care about left stick instead of dpad it need right stick for free camera.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.. Id be ALL OVER THIS if it wasnt for denuvo drm... ffs sega you incompetent fuckers.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I'm not going to buy the game on Steam. I'm not going to sponsor Sega's mistrust in me. The shitty Denuvo service is only serving the publisher and not the paying customer. That anti-consumer expire-ware can die in a ditch.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played these games.

I'd rather get them on XBX because it's quieter and will probably perform better, but I'm not sure if this is like Mass Effect where sequels read your old save files.

Would I kick myself for getting 1/2 on Xbox and then playing 3 on PS4 (since I think it'll be exclusive? Don't even remember)

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017

I'd rather get them on XBX because it's quieter and will probably perform better, but I'm not sure if this is like Mass Effect where sequels read your old save files.

Would I kick myself for getting 1/2 on Xbox and then playing 3 on PS4 (since I think it'll be exclusive? Don't even remember)

They've said that saves don't carry into 3.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017

So your saves from Shenmue I will carry over to Shenmue II, but none of your saves will carry over to Shenmue III. So it really doesn't matter what platform you buy Shenmue 1 & 2 on.

I will say I doubt having a XB1X will make the game running any better, since the game is nearly 20 years old, so any modern system should run it really well.

Shenmue III for the foreseeable future is coming only to PS4 and PC.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I don't game on PC very often. Whats the issue with Denuvo?
Opening a can of worms there. You'll probably be told it's the devil incarnate about a dozen times before getting a more reasonable answer, seeing how it's become the anti-DRM brigade's bogeyman.

I can't believe BOTH threads about this game have become about fucking Denuvo whining. Embarrassing.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I also wonder about the analogue controls, they don't state they've changed the controls, merely that they've pretty much just mapped them onto analanalogue sticks... So will it still be very clunky and tank like? Will there actually be analogue movement? I guess we won't really know until people get hands on and let us know.
I imagine it is just the tank controls with the trigger speed mapped to how much you push in the stick. Not really sure how they will change combat or QTEs though. I will try it out a bit, but I think I will be sticking with the original controls for the most part.

I love the way the original controls work. Being able to jog along a street and move your head around to look at the stores and people was something that just felt so incredible to me. It is hard to explain and probably comes off as an odd thing to enjoy, but it is just one of Shenmue's many elements that made you feel like you were truly visiting another place in the world somehow.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
4/3 cutscene is really bad after playing hudless and glitched 16/9 on emulator.
And nothing about the free camera with the modern controle ? I don't care about left stick instead of dpad it need right stick for free camera.
Emulators can't do it correctly on their own. You need an actual patched version of the game that has been adjusted to render in anamorphic widescreen. Early attempts had pop-in, but this was eventually resolved, leaving the only problem being stuff out of frame that you shouldn't see and we only have 1 good example of that being the Goro harassment cutscene from disc 2.
Has there been mention of improvements to the ghosting in of npcs?
There has not, but the short trailer from the PC game show at E3 suggests that it's improved. That trailer had a scene of Ryo running up the stairs in Wise Men's Qr, and there was an NPC all the way at the top of the stairs that was fully loaded. I'm used to the DC version, and even with GDEmu (disc drive flash replacement for DC hardware with amazing load times) you wouldn't have seen an NPC loaded that far away. The latest trailer is pretty light on FREE exploration clips, so we can't really know for sure yet.
That source, while a good answer to the question is not entirely accurate. One of their points, the WINE one, seems to be specific to their examples. Sonic Mania was released last year with Denuvo, and it worked on WINE day one. I run it on macOS with WINE just fine. However, I still notice it enough to hate it. The game takes literally 30 seconds to load when you launch it while Denuvo does its little initialization dance, and it decimates battery life if you try to play on a laptop because it constantly eats at least 5% CPU. The PC port of Sonic CD 2011, built on an older version of the same engine and no Denuvo, launches instantly and uses less than 1% of CPU. With Shenmue I & II, the only thing you'll probably notice from Denuvo is the initial game launch taking a long time. Given the age of the game, it probably won't impact performance. I'm still going PS4 only for this one though, at least for launch, since they haven't learned their lesson after last year's Sonic Mania PC backlash. If it was non-invasive and I didn't actually notice it, I wouldn't care.

I can't believe BOTH threads about this game have become about fucking Denuvo whining. Embarrassing.
You're making a problem out of something that isn't a problem. I can read through all of this stuff and it doesn't bother me, people are just saying what they think. Then you go and accuse them of whining, that's not what's happening. Just leave it alone, it's a productive discussion to know what people want. The only thing here that's made me angry is when you keep pointing it out. Nobody is fighting. Relax please. If you'd like to vent feel free to PM me.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Emulators can't do it correctly on their own. You need an actual patched version of the game that has been adjusted to render in anamorphic widescreen. Early attempts had pop-in, but this was eventually resolved, leaving the only problem being stuff out of frame that you shouldn't see and we only have 1 good example of that being the Goro harassment cutscene from disc 2.
Yes I said glitched because I don't use a patched version only the widescreen option of nulldc, I am more fine with glitched fullscreen than horizontal black bar.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I think Sega wants to see how well Shenmue will actually sell compared to Yakuza. They'll have first weeks sales data on both of them in 2 weeks after Shenmue 1 & 2's release. Sega definitely seems like they are testing the waters with Shenmue.
They can compare sales without having the games released next to eachother. For example, I'm sure they compared the Yakuza 0 sales with the Yakuza Kiwami sales, and those two games were released half a year from eachother.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
You're making a problem out of something that isn't a problem. I can read through all of this stuff and it doesn't bother me, people are just saying what they think. Then you go and accuse them of whining, that's not what's happening. Just leave it alone, it's a productive discussion to know what people want. The only thing here that's made me angry is when you keep pointing it out. Nobody is fighting. Relax please. If you'd like to vent feel free to PM me.
Go and take a look at other thread, if that's not whining, then I don't know what to tell you. DRM whining, from basically a single source, clearly not content to post it in just one thread, but two. Nothing productive about it. It's basically Steam forums-tier posting.

If you're genuinely bothered, just put me on ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.