• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the first mods will be to make the cutscenes in Shenmue 16:9. I know the people behind the port said it result in visual glitches and stuff, but knowing how determined the Shenmue community is, there's no doubt that this will be worked on by them. Well, that and better graphics, reworking the game into an actual HD "remake."

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
You know, I kind of went out of my way to be as polite as possible with my post, but you're pretty intent on not listening or actually discussing this properly. Continue to put the strawmen up and work yourself into hysterics if that's what you want, but the madness in the last few pages of this thread should be pretty clear that "valid critical observation" is not always so "valid".

Just put me on ignore.
download.jpg

I'll continue to discuss things as I have been. Nobody else seems to have an issue with it...

And yes I am VERY excited for mods! That's probably the best thing to come out of all this. I can't wait to open up a whole new dimension to this world that I love so much...

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the first mods will be to make the cutscenes in Shenmue 16:9. I know the people behind the port said it result in visual glitches and stuff, but knowing how determined the Shenmue community is, there's no doubt that this will be worked on by them. Well, that and better graphics, reworking the game into an actual HD "remake."

They'll have to animate some cutscenes stuff. Basically during cutscenes, everything outside of the 4:3 ratio freeze. So you have characters who stop moving and freeze in their last movement.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
They'll have to animate some cutscenes stuff. Basically during cutscenes, everything outside of the 4:3 ratio freeze. So you have characters who stop moving and freeze in their last movement.
Yeah it was to save memory on those loaded disks. I wonder if there's any way the animations could be extended. Would be ALOT of work though... I'd rather Sega just do it from the start lol

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was to save memory on those loaded disks. I wonder if there's any way the animations could be extended. Would be ALOT of work though... I'd rather Sega just do it from the start lol

Well the better solution for modders imo would be to make the 3D characters disappear when outside the 4:3 ratio. But animations being extended ? You'd also have to modify the script and behaviour of of characters.

So I'm fine with 4:3 cutscenes and 16:9 gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't doubt it's something that Shenmue fans would be interested to do, I wonder if it would be possible for them to animate them with mods, or at least without access to the source code. It certainly would be a lot of work, but if it is possible, I don't doubt it'll eventually be worked on by the community.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to say I'm so glad Shenmue is making a return no matter if it has 4:3 cut scenes etc, will just be nice to have an official release on modern platforms!

I'ma guess the port is a rather difficult one with not much room for adjusting the core engine as it was such a bespoke title. I'm pretty sure D3t are working there hardest on the port but will be limited on resources and what they can actually do with the port. Editing animations is probably a tall task for that tech!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How is that a solution at all? Freezing characters or disappearing characters, not really much of a difference...

Characters out of the 4:3 ratio arent supposed to appear at the moment of the cutscene. If they disappear, they're out of the scene when they're out of the 4:3 ratio. If they freeze though, they just stand there while not supposed to be in the scene.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Characters out of the 4:3 ratio arent supposed to appear at the moment of the cutscene. If they disappear, they're out of the scene when they're out of the 4:3 ratio. If they freeze though, they just stand there while not supposed to be in the scene.
But either way, it's gonna look awful in motion lol. But yeah I guess disappearing is slightly better than freezing...

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Yeah I'd much rather they just do the whole game in either 4:3 or 16:9, pick one...

I honestly hated it even in 2 when it would change aspect ratio for the bigger cutscenes. You don't have to give me a cinematic aspect ratio for me to have a cinematic experience lol, I always felt like that was so pointless to use less of the screen for no reason. Oh well, I'll have tons of fun playing it regardless. I do agree with that one guy that said they better have an option for black borders, I hate when games have silly borders. Also would be nice to have the option to just play in 4:3 so it's not jarring...

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd much rather they just do the whole game in either 4:3 or 16:9, pick one...

I honestly hated it even in 2 when it would change aspect ratio for the bigger cutscenes. You don't have to give me a cinematic aspect ratio for me to have a cinematic experience lol, I always felt like that was so pointless to use less of the screen for no reason. Oh well, I'll have tons of fun playing it regardless. I do agree with that one guy that said they better have an option for black borders, I hate when games have silly borders. Also would be nice to have the option to just play in 4:3 so it's not jarring...

Yeah Shenmue 1's full screen scenes looked great but I wouldn't have minded cinematic borders. The problem is the inconsistencies with Shenmue II. I just want a consistent experience across both games even though the originals weren't.

Including various options for gameplay and cinematic aspect ratios would be great. I'd even like an option for 16:9 cutscenes with the animation issues as long as there s a warning.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017

For me 16:9 gameplay is fine with 4:3 cut scenes. If it is too much work to fix 4:3 I don't want the majority oif the game cut to 4:3 just for consistency sake. In and ideal world there would be an option to switch between the two but 16:9 is the way to go imo with cut scenes in 4:3. Most people adapter better to aspect ratio changes rather than a limited aspect raito. Hence Imax films etc.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I think there'll be an option for 4:3 as some screenshots in the same scene featured 4:3 and 16:9

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why people are so crazy about this series. Absolutely nothing looks fun or appealing about this series.

A bit harsh to say absolutely nothing looks fun if you've never tried it, isn't it?

People that try it can either like it or dislike it, but no one can deny that Shenmue is an "experience", more than a mere game.

You live the life of Ryo Hazuki, and so the player lives and breathes a culture and a world (eastern) completely different to what he's used to irl, and go on an adventure that gets progressively bigger in scope, while learning valuable life and martial arts lessons, and getting progressively better as a fighter.

It's hard to explain it, but Shenmue is made in a way that the player itself feels he is improving/learning a lesson, and not just Ryo. An example?
In Shenmue 2 Ryo for some days is forced to carry a few stacks of books out of a library, and there's a qte event that you have to pass to keep your balance and not make the stacks of books fall. Guess what? Later in the game you have to go through many planks suspended on a ruined building, and for each plank there's a qte to pass to keep Ryo's Balance and not make him fall to his death, which uses exactly the same buttons (directionals) of the library qtes

Of course though, nothing is perfect and the games suffer from some pacing and design problems (especially Shenmue 1, where anything story-wise barely happens), but players that like story-driven games will no doubt fall in love with the series.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm happy that I'll be able to play those classics on modern hardware again.
All this drama about aspect ratios is getting out of hands. These are not remakes in any case.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Prediction: the new controls will simply be the left stick analogue controls from Shenmue 2 on Xbox, the right stick will rotate Ryo's head to 'look' -- no free camera. My reasoning:
  • with a free swinging camera I'm sure they would have to write new camera collision
  • Ryo's movement is relative to the camera. Allowing you to rotate it freely could seriously mess with the controls, meaning they'd have to completely redo them
  • Less important, but Ryo was intended to be viewed from the back during gameplay. Who knows how dodgy things will look from other angles
I could be wrong, but the goal of this project seems to be preserving the original experience and with that in mind, I don't see them rewriting the entire camera/movement. I could be completely wrong and 'modern controls' could mean a free camera, but I think left stick for movement and right stick for 'looking' (basically tilting the camera in a direction) is adequate for these games. They honestly don't require precision while running around.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
It's not very often. I mentioned in a thread at Shenmue Dojo that if they don't want to update the cutscenes, an easier fix is just zooming the camera against the top so the left/right is the same as 4x3 but you lose a little on the top/bottom. If they did that they could just have an option, which it seems like they probably have based on in-game screens being available in both aspects. In the example scene that was presented a few pages back there's nothing close enough to the camera to negatively impacted by a temporary zoom. When TNG was remastered on Blu-Ray, I watched some episodes with zoom enabled on my TV just to omit the bars, and most of the time it wasn't even obvious that something was cropped out.

I would prefer 16x9, even if they can only offer it for most cutscenes, but if we're stuck with 4x3 whatever, it's fine.

Regarding the garbage festival on the previous pages, I would've just pointed out that the physical Timex watch that Ryo's in-game watch is based on is round. The aspect ratio of the in-game items are intended to match their counterparts in real life. Based on the amount of arguing though, that probably wouldn't have been good enough to shut him down. ☹️

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do you think the npc pop in will be better on these?
I expect issues with the DC hardware such as NPC pop-in, long load times and plummeting framerates will be fixed completely, if these are indeed direct ports with no emulation or wrapper.

It will actually be awesome to see Dobuita full of NPCs in the distance, and running past Tom without the framerate crashing :P

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
I expect issues with the DC hardware such as NPC pop-in, long load times and plummeting framerates will be fixed completely, if these are indeed direct ports with no emulation or wrapper.

It will actually be awesome to see Dobuita full of NPCs in the distance, and running past Tom without the framerate crashing :P
Not seeing "Teleporting Tom" would be quite an experience. I hope they completely fix the pop in, loading times (this is a big one, with faster loading times the game would feel a lot smoother) and stable framerates. That alone would make this version a significant improvement.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect issues with the DC hardware such as NPC pop-in

This depends entirely on the memory management that Shenmue employs and what type of design pattern it employs. Their object pool, for example, could have an arbitrary hard limit that wouldn't be easy to fix, even with source code access. Shenmue uses a ton of bespoke systems created by AM2. You should keep your expectations in check.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
For me 16:9 gameplay is fine with 4:3 cut scenes. If it is too much work to fix 4:3 I don't want the majority oif the game cut to 4:3 just for consistency sake. In and ideal world there would be an option to switch between the two but 16:9 is the way to go imo with cut scenes in 4:3. Most people adapter better to aspect ratio changes rather than a limited aspect raito. Hence Imax films etc.
I would prefer to have the entire game in the ratios it was created to be in. The only problem is in 2 letterbox 16:9 would mean huge black borders all around a tiny picture. I have no idea what they're going to do but ideally e will have options to accommodate all preferences.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ellis your Demul screenshot is identical to the remaster screenshot in term of ratio:
http:///kSKc.png

Shenmue-I-and-II_2018_04-19-18_004.jpg

You just don't get it right.
SEGA engineers knew their hardware, hence why the game was developped with black bars, so that once it was displayed on CRT, it wouldn't feature black bars. This is why the watch is oval, to be round once displayed. You truly believe they meant the watch to be oval ???
They meant it to be round, so they made it to be oval so that once it'd be displayed on a CRT TV, it'd become round.
You just lack the knowledge to know the difference between the internal image, which has black bars when DC process it and the output image, which is the final result and how the game has to look.
The final question would be: Does balls and car wheels look oval in CRT TVs?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I would prefer to have the entire game in the ratios it was created to be in. The only problem is in 2 letterbox 16:9 would mean huge black borders all around a tiny picture. I have no idea what they're going to do but ideally e will have options to accommodate all preferences.
What? If Shenmue 2 cutscenes do indeed have black bars on top and bottom (I don't remember) then that means they can make the cutscenes 16:9 super easily becaude... they are already 16:9. Just remove the borders, done.

This is how MGS3 HD handled it. Cutscenes were 16:9 on PS2 already (black bars on top and bottom), they removed the black bars and done, 16:9 cutscenes.

Like, it's literally the only solution. Making the cutscenes 4:3 would be MORE effort (making sure everything fits into frame etc). Having black borders on top, bottom, left and right would simply be stupid, inconceivable, ridiculous, and incompetent.

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: the new controls will simply be the left stick analogue controls from Shenmue 2 on Xbox, the right stick will rotate Ryo's head to 'look' -- no free camera. My reasoning:
  • with a free swinging camera I'm sure they would have to write new camera collision
  • Ryo's movement is relative to the camera. Allowing you to rotate it freely could seriously mess with the controls, meaning they'd have to completely redo them
  • Less important, but Ryo was intended to be viewed from the back during gameplay. Who knows how dodgy things will look from other angles
I could be wrong, but the goal of this project seems to be preserving the original experience and with that in mind, I don't see them rewriting the entire camera/movement. I could be completely wrong and 'modern controls' could mean a free camera, but I think left stick for movement and right stick for 'looking' (basically tilting the camera in a direction) is adequate for these games. They honestly don't require precision while running around.

I agree that this is the most likely outcome for modern controls.
However, part of me wonders if they'll break the traditional animation like the REmake HD version did when they added camera relative controls vs the tank controls. If they're willing to introduce new movements to Ryo (even if it's floaty and broken looking) then I could see them having a dual analogue control method similar to The Last of Us. Keep the camera above Ryo's waist and you could have him float-strafing around the Hazuki dojo.
Now that I've written it out, it's probably too much work and would destroy the camera direction of most of the game.

They did add free look to Jet Set Radio when it was ported to 360/Steam/PS3 so anything is possible.
Whatever they do, I'm looking forward to getting more information.

This depends entirely on the memory management that Shenmue employs and what type of design pattern it employs. Their object pool, for example, could have an arbitrary hard limit that wouldn't be easy to fix, even with source code access. Shenmue uses a ton of bespoke systems created by AM2. You should keep your expectations in check.

Part of me thinks that if the pop-in is still present when running the game on an emulator, it's going to be present in the new release. I have 0 experience with Shenmue running in an emulator but this seems like the sort of thing that would have been solved by now if it were easy. (assuming it hasn't been solved on an emulator)
However since Shenmue 2 on Xbox did improve the pop-in vs the Dreamcast version, I've got to believe that it's not impossible to improve it with access to the source code. Fingers crossed.

I once got trapped in the Harbour cafe when I went into the corner and then 2 NPC's spawned in around me. I couldn't get out and was stuck there until lunch ended. No character pop in would have prevented that.

What is going on with the "shenmue defense force" tags?
It was a thing on the old forum. A sign of never giving up hope for Shenmue III, or for the original games to be released on 360/PS3/Steam like Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2 were.
I did a search and the first reference I can find is post from August 2008.

Last edited:

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
Theres not a chance that the PR at Sega would flaunt "a choice of modern controls" as a carry over of the analogue stick movement/camera system that was in Shenmue 2 almost 20 years ago. That would be very presuming of them, that the fans would be that accepting, and considering the eyes that have been in this for years, I would safely guess that isn't the case. I assumed thats exactly what they were showing with this segment of the reveal. Full 360 rotate in game.

8Lpy42H.png

Shenmue 3, will have modern day controls so it's also a good way to get players developing a consistent feel of Ryo through these two games. They will jump into the third and feel at home, at the very least in movement and control, despite the overhaul in graphics.
8Lpy42H

Last edited:

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
It was a thing on the old forum. A sign of never giving up hope for Shenmue III, or for the original games to be released on 360/PS3/Steam like Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2 were.
People have been fighting for a Shenmue revival and re-releases for a decade and a half. It's pretty crazy when you think about it. I don't think we've seen anything quite like it in the gaming community before, not to this extent and length and ending with a successful result. It's due to the fans and Yu Suzuki really.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Part of me thinks that if the pop-in is still present when running the game on an emulator, it's going to be present in the new release. I have 0 experience with Shenmue running in an emulator but this seems like the sort of thing that would have been solved by now if it were easy. (assuming it hasn't been solved on an emulator)

Possibly, but emulation is 'pretending' to be a Dreamcast, while these ports are aiming for modern hardware. Like you said, if the pop-in could be improved on Xbox, it's at least possible, and feels like one of the main graphical issues they'd be focused on.

Theres not a chance that the PR at Sega would flaunt "a choice of modern controls" as a carry over of the analogue stick movement/camera system that was in Shenmue 2 almost 20 years ago. That would be very presuming of them, that the fans would be that accepting, and considering the eyes that have been in this for years, I would safely guess that isn't the case. I assumed thats exactly what they were showing with this segment of the reveal. Full 360 rotate in game.
8Lpy42H
Like I said, I could be wrong. Free camera would be exciting but I want to keep my expectations in check. After all it's easy for them to place the camera in dramatic positions within the engine for screenshots, trailers etc.

*Also, according to IGN d3t handled the Valkyria Chronicles HD ports which I didn't know about.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
*Also, according to IGN d3t handled the Valkyria Chronicles HD ports which I didn't know about.
Well that's promising... I think.
I have a copy right here still unplayed but I don't remember too many complaints at least.
Yeah man it's really been a while :')
I'm gonna bust my old defence force avatar out when these ports release.
I, II and III are all on the way. Just typing that is slightly surreal still.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
if the modern controls has anything to do with rotating camera in 360 degree while exploring then i am surely will not use it... such a break of immersion.
to this day i am still very concerned whether this is going to be the case with Shenmue 3's controls or not.

Is the FREE music in Shenmue 2 as good as it is in Shenmue 1? So atmospheric...
sure thing but it's a region based with day or night music rather than situational based on progress.
so you have many many pieces in 2 specially since it's a very big game with many places to visit.

but the style is not the same since the atmosphere in japan is different.

Last edited:

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017

8Lpy42H.png

Shenmue 3, will have modern day controls so it's also a good way to get players developing a consistent feel of Ryo through these two games. They will jump into the third and feel at home, at the very least in movement and control, despite the overhaul in graphics.
8Lpy42H
When you think about it, there was rotational camera control independent of the direction Ryo was moving in Shenmue 1 and 2 already, it just wasn't full 360 degrees. So maybe it's not too crazy that they could implement 360 degree rotation relatively easily. Personally I would be all for it and would use it, but I do feel there should be an option for the previous camera controls as well for those that prefer it.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Prediction: the new controls will simply be the left stick analogue controls from Shenmue 2 on Xbox, the right stick will rotate Ryo's head to 'look' -- no free camera.

This seems like the most logical control scheme and exactly what I expect. Anything else would be a bastardization. Not all modern mechanics are inherently better, the limited camera following Ryo's head movement make gameplay more immersive IMO...

This is something I hope they do carefully. While I too would like to see all pop-in be a thing of the past, sometimes it's necessary. How many times did you get caught in the forklift between a coworker and a fucking cat or something and your only method of escape is when they ghost out? Like it or not, NPC ghosting is a part of this game for more reasons than just performance. I imagine running around Dobuita and working at the harbor would be a nightmare if every NPC was loaded in at all times...

Is the FREE music in Shenmue 2 as good as it is in Shenmue 1? So atmospheric...

It's very different, but still amazing. Hard to compare them. 1 had FREE music that changed as the story progressed, it was very atmospheric and mood changing. The music felt more like it was alive, telling the story...

The FREE music in 2 is also amazing, but it doesn't have a mind of it's own. Each area has it's own music and that's it, no changing or anything. But the music in every area creates it's own atmosphere, it's really something...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I hope they do carefully. While I too would like to see all pop-in be a thing of the past, sometimes it's necessary. How many times did you get caught in the forklift between a coworker and a fucking cat or something and your only method of escape is when they ghost out? Like it or not, NPC ghosting is a part of this game for more reasons than just performance. I imagine running around Dobuita and working at the harbor would be a nightmare if every NPC was loaded in at all times...

I remembering getting caught on the forklift because of NPC pop-in. If I could see the workers wandering around, I'd be able to avoid them ahead of time. I might be remembering this wrong but the game would force NPCs to pop out if it realized they were stuck. Can't imagine that would change.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
I remembering getting caught on the forklift because of NPC pop-in. If I could see the workers wandering around, I'd be able to avoid them ahead of time. I might be remembering this wrong but the game would force NPCs to pop out if it realized they were stuck. Can't imagine that would change.
If you saw all the NPCs walking, you'd just have to sit there and wait which could take a long time. NPCs only seemed to pop out if there were stuck to you, not eachother. Either way it would be madness. I could be imagining it wrong, but it think it'd be pretty ridiculous to have a crowd of NPCs in front of you, only for you to walk into them and get stuck for a few seconds before they all disappear one by one. I think the Dreamcast version handled it better than that lmfao

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's very different, but still amazing. Hard to compare them. 1 had FREE music that changed as the story progressed, it was very atmospheric and mood changing. The music felt more like it was alive, telling the story...

The FREE music in 2 is also amazing, but it doesn't have a mind of it's own. Each area has it's own music and that's it, no changing or anything. But the music in every area creates it's own atmosphere, it's really something...
Could you point me to any Shenmue 1+2 soundtracks that include those FREE themes? I remember those a lot better than the cutscene music.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Could you point me to any Shenmue 1+2 soundtracks that include those FREE themes? I remember those a lot better than the cutscene music.
I don't know of any specific soundtracks, you can tool around on youtube or better yet just play the game lol. But yeah youtube should have everything somewhere...

Do you think the in-game midis will be replaced with the official ost cd tracks?
I'd imagine so... gonna be sad missing that pause button sample leads lol

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they'll fix the harbor bug that makes you do the forklift forever until you figure out the correct route. I got stuck on that when Shenmue first came out and just assumed I was meant to work for months like in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.