• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
I think newer gamers will be turned off. Shenmue was one of my favorite games a while back. That game has no redeeming quality in 2018.

If they did spruce up the controls & voices I can understand. I just don't think that's happening at all.

They are adding a new second control scheme that's aim is to be closer to what a modern gamer is used to. From the steam store listing:

"Choice of modern or classic controls"

:)

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
One thing I've seen a lot of people struggle a bit with in Let's Plays is finding the location of the Heartbeats Bar. It's not listed on the town map and people usually miss the little passageway that leads down to it, so instead they might settle for the once a night pool shots at the MJQ Jazz Bar and waste time/days. I think it'd be really helpful if Sega listed the Heartbeats Bar on the map.

The struggle to find the bar could be part of the reason why the whole looking for sailors thing became such a meme. That and it comes across awkwardly with the English voice acting.

Last edited:

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One thing I've seen a lot of people struggle a bit with in Let's Plays is finding the location of the Heartbeats Bar. It's not listed on the town map and people usually miss the little passageway that leads down to it, so instead they might settle for the once a night pool shots at the MJQ Jazz Bar and waste time/days. I think it'd be really helpful if Sega listed the Heartbeats Bar on the map.

Can't you find it by asking the motorcycle guy right in front of it?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think newer gamers will be turned off. Shenmue was one of my favorite games a while back. That game has no redeeming quality in 2018.

If they did spruce up the controls & voices I can understand. I just don't think that's happening at all.
I've played very few games where the world's time table and weather is so varied over months and if I remember correctly, you can find a drunken Santa walking around and the game has the balls to make you wait for a bus. The details that make Shenmue unique compared to other games and immersive is part of why so many people still talk about it. I don't feel like getting started on describing Shenmue 2, very few games can compare to its elegance... if any.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Probably been asked already but will the game have any pro support? 1080p is cool but obviously 4k will be better.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nothing on Pro support, but I can't imagine it's high on their list seems as though these are two 16+ year old games with low resolution textures in the first place.

The Heartbeats Bar is a classic sticking point for some. Funnily enough, brutalmoose on Twitch found it straight away and didn't even go to Bar Yokosuka or MJQ, so it all comes down to how observant you are.

Jibby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people who say that these games doesn't hold up today are doing them an injustice. I know countless of people who have recently played them for the first time and loved them.
As of late, there has also been a number of relatively big streamers who have been trying them out and really enjoying them (as well as their audiences). Brutalmoose even said that Shenmue had become one of his favourite games of all time after finishing it on stream.

So let's not be so quick to say that Shenmue I and II bring nothing to the table today.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
These games will have their audience. The fact that the fanbase continued to grow and refresh itself even in the times where the series truly seemed dead, is testament to their ability to still capture the imaginations of gamers. And that happened on dead/low selling hardware too. Shenmue I & II could launch on Steam alone and still have a possible broader reach than it ever got on Dreamcast or original Xbox.

Shenmue will hopefully be one of the niche series that flourishes this gen, simply because there are enough people with compatible tastes out there who own the platforms it'll be releasing on. This argument largely goes for III too. It doesn't have to be loved by everyone, it just needs enough to sustain it and ensure a future.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
These games will have their audience. The fact that the fanbase continued to grow and refresh itself even in the times where the series truly seemed dead, is testament to their ability to still capture the imaginations of gamers. And that happened on dead/low selling hardware too. Shenmue I & II could launch on Steam alone and still have a possible broader reach than it ever got on Dreamcast or original Xbox.

Shenmue will hopefully be one of the niche series that flourishes this gen, simply because there are enough people with compatible tastes out there who own the platforms it'll be releasing on. This argument largely goes for III too. It doesn't have to be loved by everyone, it just needs enough to sustain it and ensure a future.

YES!

Talk of it having no redeeming qualities in this day and age is just a bit silly. Given talk like this I've been pretty impressed recently watching snippets of playthroughs, the game is as I remember it. Not a rose tinted disappointment, it's actually as good as I remember, warts and all.

Even the very opening cinematic is really nicely directed and looks great, with a fantastic score too, and makes me anxious to get back into this story and experience it all again (and finally delve into Shenmue 2).

Some people make out like the game is archaic when it's far more akin to modern day games than a lot of stuff released around the same time back then. The games hold up, with a few issues sure, but nothing that makes them hellish to play nowadays.

I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised when they delve into this for the first time ever.

Edit: Oh and yeah I hope this and Shenmue 3 capture enough imaginations that the series can be continued until completion and it makes financial sense to do so. Gaming is a huge market and we see wildly different tastes catered to. I still attest that Life is Strange is a good comparison for the Shenmue series, and if you like one you'll probably like, and certainly appreciate, the other. I wonder if an episodic style release schedule and financial outlook could work for the series in the long run.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Oh and yeah I hope this and Shenmue 3 capture enough imaginations that the series can be continued until completion and it makes financial sense to do so. Gaming is a huge market and we see wildly different tastes catered to. I still attest that Life is Strange is a good comparison for the Shenmue series, and if you like one you'll probably like, and certainly appreciate, the other. I wonder if an episodic style release schedule and financial outlook could work for the series in the long run.

Life is Strange works, but it's still a very different game. I think an episodic structure would do the kind of game Shenmue needs to be, a disservice, but if it's the only way we are financially able to see a continuation to Shenmue III then so be it. I can't imagine that will happen though. Any Shenmue game released today isn't going to be a hit, but it can certainly do well enough justify a sequel going into production, just like the Yakuza games continued to get sequels even though they didn't sell amazingly well.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Finished watching the Giant bomb Endurance run

So funny, though I wish Dan was the one playing as he's the best, Vinny and Alex both just seemed to hate it from the start without giving it a fair chance

that said, I cant wait to play it myself for the first time since it came out on dreamcast

J3wB0y_072

Feb 18, 2018
I believe a straight port would be the best option, with the least possible changes, since Shenmue fans would be very upset with substantial changes.
But I wonder... If SEGA put some effort to make improvements based on the Yakuza franchise, like some sidequests that require the player to enter more places that aren't required to finish the story (like Bob's Pizzeria) and capsule toys to be found around the city... Maybe even random battles (too much?).

stayingfate

Alt-Account.
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
So hyped to replay Shenmue 1&2 again for the 900th time!... I got my PS4 Slim set up again (which was put away for a while as I had nothing to play) but after buying Yakuza 6 to try that out I think that'll help make up my time until Shenmue comes out.

I must admit I am a LITTLE disappointed with the decision to port over the Xbox version because the Dreamcast version looks better, nothing else. The horrible motion blur during fights needs to be removed and Ryo's jacket looks bigger which always bugged me about the Xbox version.

However I am accepting over the fact that cutscenes may be 4:3 only. Widescreen is difficult to do for Shenmue without any problems occuring so I understand, the game isn't modern by any means but playing it with only one disc and not my dirty, almost busted Dreamcast is truly amazing. I applaud Sega for rereleasing the games so we can play them as well as Shenmue 3 all in one place. (PC and PS4 of course)

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I do hope new players will enjoy these, I really can't say I care about that. Expecting mixed reviews too and that's just fine.
Depending on the release date I will probably play 2 first as I'd like to reserve the second half of December for a replay of the original.

Loneck

Feb 26, 2018
I must admit I am a LITTLE disappointed with the decision to port over the Xbox version because the Dreamcast version looks better, nothing else. The horrible motion blur during fights needs to be removed and Ryo's jacket looks bigger which always bugged me about the Xbox version.

Can you provide link that proves that Shenmue 2 remaster will be based on Xbox version? I see this information for first time.

Oct 30, 2017

The PS4 version is still on the Amazon top 10. I imagine they've already moved a few thousand units if they're hanging in there with God of War. I imagine Sega must be pretty pleased with the response so far.

Kodama

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
If it's not a bug, then the game should at least tell you you're doing something wrong. The day just repeats forever if you don't do it the exact way. It was always described as a bug in the old walkthroughs.

I mean it's just semantics but I don't see how it could be called a bug at all. A bug means a flaw in programming, which isn't the case here. It was programmed to only move on to the next work day if you did what you were supposed to the day before. They also made it pretty clear what to do and how to do it via the map he gives you every day so I don't really see how one who does his job correctly could have an issue moving on. The windows to trigger events were pretty generous as well. I think the fact that you aren't progressing is enough of a message to tell you you aren't doing something right...

There's one exception to that, of course. It's right near the beginning of the game, the music temporarily changes as a result of a story event and changes back once that situation is resolved. Also, you forgot to mention that each area also has different music at night during Shenmue 2.

I liked Shenmue 1's music in general, except for the fact that you're stuck listening to the same FREE music during the entirety of Disc 3 and that song always gets stuck while the game is loading after the bus ride back from the harbor so you get to hear it stall and catch up each time. That was the only song I never really liked, just because you had to hear it for so long. Shenmue 2's music never got stale for me, there's so much of it (over 400 tracks in the DSF rip) and most of it is very good.

Very good points all around here...

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I still have nightmares about this

hqdefault_2.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
The thing with the D3T member joining the forum and 'leaking' a bunch of news was kind of odd. D3T seems really serious about not offering any additional information about the game at this time. I have no reason to believe he isn't part of the team, but it seems like he wasn't supposed to do that.

I mean it's just semantics but I don't see how it could be called a bug at all. A bug means a flaw in programming, which isn't the case here. It was programmed to only move on to the next work day if you did what you were supposed to the day before. They also made it pretty clear what to do and how to do it via the map he gives you every day so I don't really see how one who does his job correctly could have an issue moving on. The windows to trigger events were pretty generous as well. I think the fact that you aren't progressing is enough of a message to tell you you aren't doing something right...

I suppose you're right, but at the time it just seemed like what I was supposed to do because the game was touted as being very realistic. I assumed I was meant to work a full month. I finally gave in and looked at GameFAQs when it was obvious I wasn't progressing and the same cutscenes kept playing.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope D3T make it possible to toggle the hud's, on both games...

Oct 25, 2017
I know it won't happen, but I would love to have access to the Saturn version of Shenmue 1. Or at least more direct feed footage than what we have. It'd be such a nice thing to have a modern day preservation of.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this sells gang busters so we steam roll into Shenmue III and then IV gets announced!! I need to have this story finished off!

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

The struggle to find the bar could be part of the reason why the whole looking for sailors thing became such a meme. That and it comes across awkwardly with the English voice acting.

Found it by myself just by talking around to people.
Shenmue 1 i had no trouble completing it by myself.
A Shenmue expert friend of mine watched me play through 1 and insisted in giving me zero help.
On Shenmue 2 he helped me tho, find some hidden fights and the duck race.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I know it won't happen, but I would love to have access to the Saturn version of Shenmue 1. Or at least more direct feed footage than what we have. It'd be such a nice thing to have a modern day preservation of.
Funnily enough, it's been implied that stuff would be YSnet's to release considering it comes under the pre-production materials SEGA gave them access to for III.

Not that it matters however, seeing how the source code is AWOL.

Apr 20, 2018
Nobody really knows how Shenmue HD will sell. That is why it took SEGA about a decade to go ahead with this remaster. It could have been easily done on PS3 and X360 (and was, according to some rumors), but SEGA simply had no idea if it's worth pressing the discs. Now they were swayed over, but it's not like they are anticipating anything. They might hope at best.

These games are idiosyncratic in every possible way. They are their own creations. There's nothing else like them. Some later games copied a thing or two, obviously. However, no other game actually created such an experience. Ironically, even Shenmue 3 doesn't seem to be like Shenmue I & II outside of the characters and setting.

I'm so glad other people will be able to play Shenmue without the hassle of emulators, or having to find a Dreamcast + a copy if you don't have it. I've been pestering friends, colleagues, about giving a chance to Shenmue for years and now it's going to be easy!
DC emulators aren't even half as accurate as some people described them. As for real hardware, the real pain in the ass is not about finding a Dreamcast and a copy, really. It's the cost. Not only DCs and Shenmue I-II copies are criminally overpriced these days, but there's also the issue of DC hardware failing. Repairs are quite costly and annoying. Replacing the GD-ROM drive with a USB or SD card reader costs at least as much as a DC. Those devices aren't even that well tested. They overheat the original DC PSU, so there's also the cost of installing a new and improved PSU... It just piles up cash way too much for normal gamers. This is why this remaster is so important. Giving Shenmue to the people, basically.

The decision to port the Xbox version was a mistake. An average gamer won't even tell the difference, but ignorance shouldn't be promoted. It's a shame the truer, Yu Suzuki-approved version of Shenmue II for the DC will not be available for modern platforms. A wasted opportunity, really, because there are numerous texture and clipping errors in the Xbox port. There is back-fence talk that SIIX is actually based on an earlier Shenmue II build despite coming out later than the DC version.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The decision to port the Xbox version was a mistake. An average gamer won't even tell the difference, but ignorance shouldn't be promoted. It's a shame the truer, Yu Suzuki-approved version of Shenmue II for the DC will not be available for modern platforms. A wasted opportunity, really, because there are numerous texture and clipping errors in the Xbox port. There are rumors it's actually based on an earlier Shenmue II build despite coming out later than the DC version.

Doesn't the Xbox version have crazy overdone bloom lighting? I can't imagine D3T aren't trying to make both games look visually consistent, so they'll hopefully tone down that specific attribute of the Xbox version. This is what is so puzzling to me. They've chosen a version where it seems like there's actually more work to fix and normalize things than it needed to be if they'd just picked the native version to work from.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the Xbox version have crazy overdone bloom lighting? I can't imagine D3T aren't trying to make both games look visually consistent, so they'll hopefully tone down that specific attribute of the Xbox version. This is what is so puzzling to me. They've chosen a version where it seems like there's actually more work to fix and normalize things than it needed to be if they'd just picked the native version to work from.

Not to mention the motion blur during combat in the Xbox version.

I hope these D3T guys know the kind of fanbase that they're dealing with here and provide visual options to toggle on/off.

Apr 20, 2018
Yes, it does. Instead of doing what you suggested, toning down the bloom in the Xbox version to match the clean look of Shenmue I on the DC, they are actually adding excessive bloom to the Shenmue I port. Go back to the announcement trailer and look the at the Shenhua cutscenes from Shenmue I. Her face is blooming.

DC:
7WGe8qV.png

Remaster:
lhAbxrq.png

Porting DC source code is much harder than just using the Xbox source code. The Xbox one is for DirectX 8.1 and Pentium III, basically. Also, since the Xbox port came out later and has some additions like the stencil shadowing, they must have decided it's the better choice. They didn't take the time and effort to painstakingly compare both versions side by side.

stayingfate

Alt-Account.
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
They really should have ported over the Dreamcast version instead because as someone said it would require less work to actually fix it. The Xbox version has tons of changes that is barely noticeable but are not authentic to the true Shenmue II on Dreamcast where everything is superior (minus loadtimes and FPS)

It's a no brainer to include the option to toggle on/off annoying things like motion blur and bloom especially given the Xbox version has them so they more than likely will make an apperance in this Shenmue 2 remaster.

Apr 20, 2018
It's a no brainer to include the option to toggle on/off annoying things like motion blur and bloom especially given the Xbox version has them so they more than likely will make an apperance in this Shenmue 2 remaster.
It's a no-brainer for the fans who actually had to suffer through those ugly effects in the entirety of Shenmue II on Xbox, but it's hard to say if the people who are just porting the Xbox version are going to see it that way. Probably not since they've actually went out of their way to add bloom to Shenmue I.

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished watching the Giant bomb Endurance run

So funny, though I wish Dan was the one playing as he's the best, Vinny and Alex both just seemed to hate it from the start without giving it a fair chance

that said, I cant wait to play it myself for the first time since it came out on dreamcast

I hope you were banned for that pathetic avatar.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Modern consoles are x86. The original Xbox is x86.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think the Xbox version was all that bad. If they can remove the crappy motion blur and QAA while adjusting the bloom, it could look nice.

Apr 20, 2018

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The overdone bloom isn't present in any of the screens we've had of II so far. It's either not working yet, is getting redone with better implementation, or can be turned off.

I'm not sure the Xbox version is more work, at least maybe not in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a programmer but for stuff like the definite visual upgrades like mipmaps and stencil shadowing, I imagine it's easier to just get them working like they did in Shenmue IIx, than having to outright implement them from scratch like they'd have to with Shenmue IIdc, right?

Modern consoles are x86. The original Xbox is x86.
Also this.

Status
Not open for further replies.