• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I remember he said because PS2 had not enough (video?) RAM.
Probably video RAM

The system ram in each system is same, but the VRAM in PS2 was low volume but very, very fast speed EDRAM (which is why the games were still very pretty, much more sophisticated effects than even PC was doing at the time). However PC ports would have low texture quality because of this too.

The PS2 EDRAM was doing 48 GB/s. In comparison today's GPUs say on the PS4 Pro is about 200 GB/s

So difference of 13 years between PS1 and PS4 and the difference is only about 3 to 4 times in terms of JUST GPU bandwidth, which is why PS2 is probably more difficult to emulate (though shouldn't be so hard just based on that raw data since GPUs on PC well dwarf this as well) and why it was difficult to port games for.

The DC had 8 MB VRAM iirc and the PS2 had 4 MB of the EDRAM.

And as comparison NV2A in Xbox had 64 MB of RAM which I think was system RAM shared between gpu and cpu also

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, if they're really giving SHenmue 1 the wide screen treatment, then they're doing far more than I expected. I wonder if that D3T rep on Shenmue Dojo was just a fraud. He said they weren't.

Jibby

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if they're really giving SHenmue 1 the wide screen treatment, then they're doing far more than I expected. I wonder if that D3T rep on Shenmue Dojo was just a fraud. He said they weren't.
The D3T rep was definitely legit. I made absolutely sure he was who he said before letting him answer questions.
I reckon it either wasn't his area of development, or he was referring to the project's state at the time. Another possibility is that they saw the backlash and decided to invest the extra time into making the cutscenes 16:9.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

The D3T rep was definitely legit. I made absolutely sure he was who he said before letting him answer questions.
I reckon it either wasn't his area of development, or he was referring to the project's state at the time. Another possibility is that they saw the backlash and decided to invest the extra time into making the cutscenes 16:9.
Dug up the exact post:

I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

I don't think it had much to do with backlash, just whatever technical reasons for the initial 4:3 footage hadn't been solved/implemented yet.

Oct 30, 2017
I figured he was legit, but he was smacked down for coming to the Dojo and revealing so much information that was clearly meant to be kept secret--thus the quick disappearance.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I figured he was legit, but he was smacked down for coming to the Dojo and revealing so much information that was clearly meant to be kept secret--thus the quick disappearance.
Yeah, he hasn't been back since days after the reveal of I & II. Whether he was told off for it, got too busy and forgot, or decided to leave stuff for SEGA's community managers to deal with, I don't really blame him for a short stay.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a no show at E3 so far?
Sega confirmed on Twitter last week that the game will not be appearing at E3.

The only 'show' was the trailer for the PC version, which was posted Monday in this thread. And also Adam Koralik was promoting the game for them for free at Sega's E3 booth today, inviting his personal friends Ryo and Joy to sign autographs for people despite the game not having an official presence. I'm assuming the lack of E3 presence means they intend to show it instead at a future event like Gamescom in August, because they better not be relying on fans to promote it for them completely.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so. Firstly.
9LR0mlY.gif

Secondly.
*Will i be able to carry my save over to 3 ?

*Sorry i this has already been addressed.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

The only 'show' was the trailer for the PC version, which was posted Monday in this thread. And also Adam Koralik was promoting the game for them for free at Sega's E3 booth today, inviting his personal friends Ryo and Joy to sign autographs for people despite the game not having an official presence. I'm assuming the lack of E3 presence means they intend to show it instead at a future event like Gamescom in August, because they better not be relying on fans to promote it for them completely.
Gamescom is likely since isn't Sega Europe handling this? Or is it coming from Sega Japan? I haven't followed too closely since the original reveal.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the update!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

For context, this is what SEGA Europe was replying to:

A SEGA Europe rep had also said this on the Shenmue500K Facebook group:

DfmPIQlX4AA2tG8.jpg

Sounds like next week we'll know more, and at a guess will probably include the release date too.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a rumour a while back that they might be released in August. Though I also remember Mega Man 11 getting rated not too long ago and a October release was announced last month. Point is, I'm hoping we at least get a date soon :)

You and me both. August would be perfectly timed for my birthday. So I'd be OK with that. =p

I really hope it's not pushed to the fall/holiday period. That would help it get further lost in the wave of games.

Edit:

There's been a late August date floating around that I'm inclined to believe, but you never know.

yVlLgwj.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
August would actually be pretty amazing for me. It'd basically mean all my game money goes to Sega that month - specifically to Yakuza and Shenmue which would be amazing :)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, if Sega releases this on August I don't know what to do considering that they are going to reléase in a 1-2month span

Kiwami 2
Hokuto no Ken
Valkyria Chronicles 4
This

And I'm not sure if they are going to reléase Sonic Racing too

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they release it in July or the beginning of August and not the bloodbath that is the Fall season.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if Sega releases this on August I don't know what to do considering that they are going to reléase in a 1-2month span

Kiwami 2
Hokuto no Ken
Valkyria Chronicles 4
This

And I'm not sure if they are going to reléase Sonic Racing too

Even crazier if you count July which has Sonic Mania +, and I'll also be getting Yakuza 3 (import) and Yakuza 0 (PC) in August!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

SEGA Europe using a GIF from the remaster.

Also Steam appears to have updated with the minimum system requirements.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel i3-560 / AMD FX-4300
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (1GB Vram) / AMD Radeon 6990
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 30 GB available space

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it had much to do with backlash, just whatever technical reasons for the initial 4:3 footage hadn't been solved/implemented yet.

As someone who has played Shenmue 1 in 16:9 I can tell you that the game definitely does not like being played in 16:9. It's still crazy to me to think that this is all happening

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
As someone who has played Shenmue 1 in 16:9 I can tell you that the game definitely does not like being played in 16:9. It's still crazy to me to think that this is all happening
Yeah, you do get instances where the characters stop animating as they're meant to be "off screen" at certain points. There's stuff you can get away with in a fan hack that you can't with a retail release, but we don't know 100% what the solution to this 16:9 thing is just yet for the original Shenmue's cutscenes. I'm crossing my fingers for a toggle between 4:3, 16:9 (cropped), and 16:9 (uncropped, but warning about animation issues).

Surprised we still don't have a release date. I'm still expecting late September
We're probably getting a release date, or at least more information, tomorrow.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Why tomorrow? Anything special going on? My August would be complete if I get to play this mid August and Yakuza Kiwami 2 at the end.
Third of the month.

The Shenmue community has been campaigning on Twitter every 3rd since March 2012. SEGA Europe got involved since Shenmue I & II were announced, and if you scroll up and see their reply to one of the community Twitter accounts, you'll see they're teasing something for tomorrow.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I'm guessing there will be an Q4 release, if it was released earlier they would have given us a date already. But who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017

SEGA Europe using a GIF from the remaster.

Also Steam appears to have updated with the minimum system requirements.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel i3-560 / AMD FX-4300
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (1GB Vram) / AMD Radeon 6990
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 30 GB available space

QTE button prompt is really small.

It's not exactly an issue, but I do miss the old colourful DC buttons.
Obviously the PlayStation version (which I'll be buying) can't use the old style, but Xbox can as it is exactly the same as the DC. You just need to swap the colours around.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The small size of the QTE button prompt bothers me, but I suppose it is not a huge issue. Probably something they can patch anyways.

July seems way too early. I could see them wanting to not release it right after Yakuza 0 on PC, but it has to be within the next three months. A part of me wishes it launched December or so just because the first game is tied to so many fantastic Christmas memories for me and takes place around then too.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'm guessing there will be an Q4 release, if it was released earlier they would have given us a date already. But who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.
I'm not sure that's the case. If you scroll up a bit you can see a FB post from the Shenmue 500K group where a community manager from SEGA Europe talks about not unveiling a release date yet, because they want to be sure they can 100% hit it. Similarly when the game was unveiled in April, Adam Koralik (who's doing some influencer work with SEGA on this) said he knew a release date but couldn't talk about it because of NDA, and an employee of D3T very briefly popped into the Shenmue Dojo and mentioned at one point they were over 70% done.

We'll hopefully know for sure tomorrow, but I really think the release date announcement to actual release window will be pretty short. Could quite easily be looking at August, right before Shenmue III hits Gamescom.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The QTE prompts might be the default keyboard icons. Hopefully if you plug in a controller you'll see Xinput graphics i.e. whatever Xbox is getting.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The QTE prompts might be the default keyboard icons. Hopefully if you plug in a controller you'll see Xinput graphics i.e. whatever Xbox is getting.
Nah, that is absolutely the Xbox's green A button. SEGA's PC ports all have excellent support for dynamically changing the icons when a controller is used so I would not be worried there in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.