• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
http:///bdSc.png

Woo! Glad I got other versions ordered since it appears this is gonna take till November to ship!

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Advertising in South Korea:

K7Ks5Lol.jpg

Apr 4, 2018
So for someone who has never played these games, but loved Yakuza 0. What should I expect? Do they hold up well enough in modern times for someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for them? I'd like to give them a try, but I'd also like to have an idea of what I am getting into.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
So for someone who has never played these games, but loved Yakuza 0. What should I expect? Do they hold up well enough in modern times for someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for them? I'd like to give them a try, but I'd also like to have an idea of what I am getting into.

this is the best article i came across on internet talking about these games and why they are the best example of an artful interactive experience..
https://virtuablogger90.wordpress.c...emains-the-truest-example-of-interactive-art/

this guy just speaks my mind about why i like this game so much.
it's a must read for anyone who want to know what's the buzz is all about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Counting down the days... I need this now. It's been years since I beat Shenmue 1... let alone Shenmue 2.

Shenmue 1 was like... MY game. Like after Ocarina of Time and PSO, Shenmue 1 back then was like the most amazing thing. And then I didn't get to own Shenmue 2, instead I borrowed the game from a friend till I beat it. I eventually got the Xbox version to play on 360 but.. it didn't feel the same. I mean, not being able to play each game back to back. I have never been able to do that.

But now, we finally have both games on a single disc on a machine that isn't the Dreamcast or Xbox. Its crazy this is finally happening.

After all the years of Shenmue 3 topics on that "other forum" and being disappointed, and then it finally came to fruitition this was only inevitable, but even still I want it so badly. I've got the PAL version coming for the 21st as well as the Japanese Collectors Edition and I jusssssst caaaaaant wait.

Imagine when Shenmue 3 is like 15 days away > . >...

Oct 27, 2017

Keep in mind, Shenmue is nothing like Yakuza. The first game has very little action, and most of it is towards the end of the game. Most of your time with the games will be spent exploring environments and talking to people. They're closer to PC adventure games than any other genre.The atmosphere in the games, especially the first, is some of the best in any videogame. But the graphics are really dated now so I'm not sure how well newcomers will appreciate it. The collection at least has the Japanese language track so new players can avoid the terrible, but oddly charming, English voice acting.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Keep in mind, Shenmue is nothing like Yakuza. The first game has very little action, and most of it is towards the end of the game. Most of your time with the games will be spent exploring environments and talking to people. They're closer to PC adventure games than any other genre.The atmosphere in the games, especially the first, is some of the best in any videogame. But the graphics are really dated now so I'm not sure how well newcomers will appreciate it. The collection at least has the Japanese language track so new players can avoid the terrible, but oddly charming, English voice acting.
I haven't looked much into this. So I assume they arent redoing the voice acting?

If not, I'll use jap dubs to not have to listen to it.

Feb 10, 2018
These games have aged terribly for me.

Makes me wish I wasn't such a nerd like the time when I played shenmue on my dreamcast and didnt know or care about animation, framerate etc
I was so engrossed with shenmue but now it seems so primitive because I have been spoiled by last and current gen games.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What worries me is not that the dub is the same, but that the sound quality is exactly the same in every trailer, it seems like they are still using the ultra compressed voice clips, don't they have access to the original uncompressed files? :(

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What worries me is not that the dub is the same, but that the sound quality is exactly the same in every trailer, it seems like they are still using the ultra compressed voice clips, don't they have access to the original uncompressed files? :(
I believe they said the game was built in such a way that it could only support the existing sound bit rate.

Basically, it was a miracle the game managed to run on Dreamcast and the code is held together with rubber bands and chewing gum.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I believe they said the game was built in such a way that it could only support the existing sound bit rate.

Basically, it was a miracle the game managed to run on Dreamcast and the code is held together with rubber bands and chewing gum.
wat

I can guarantee you that increasing the resolution of the games and making them widescreen was more difficult than increasing the sound quality would be lol

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
this is the best article i came across on internet talking about these games and why they are the best example of an artful interactive experience..
https://virtuablogger90.wordpress.c...emains-the-truest-example-of-interactive-art/

this guy just speaks my mind about why i like this game so much.
it's a must read for anyone who want to know what's the buzz is all about.

What a nice write up. Really looking forward to this game, as a more calm and measured change of pace.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
That is assuming they *have* the higher quality audio files to begin with, and if they aren't using them, I assume they don't have them at all. Which would be a shame.
From what I recall, the samples of Ryo from Sega All Stars Racing were higher quality than the original games, which a lot of people inferred as Sega still having the master audio recordings.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If it's just budget constraints or a techical reason that they can't change the sound files, we might never know. Who knows maybe the engine can only do a specific sound format or maybe it was just too much busywork to re-edit the sound files.

In the end it's just a port with better resolution and gameplay in 16:9. It's better than nothing. At least we have the prospect of the PC version being modded to hell and back in the next few years. Until then I'll take the PS4 version and will enjoy it on PC sometime down the line.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have no history with this series, and am not sure I'll like it, so I've got it reserved at the library. Seems I'm the only one who does. I'm glad they're getting it.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I love so Shenmue, it's all about living the atmosphere.. enjoy the mood, getting myself immersed in it.

Already made sure to pre order it twice, physical and digital for my xbox one.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I have no history with this series, and am not sure I'll like it, so I've got it reserved at the library. Seems I'm the only one who does. I'm glad they're getting it.
You may like it. All about perspective and what type of games you like. To some people it's their favorite games ever. Good to catch up with these games and get ready for Shenmue 3

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited to play this collection, I never had a Dreamcast but thought about doing so retro collecting whenever I get house space. Since a lot of what I wanted Dreamcast wise is on modern systems would it still be worthwhile or would it just be a novelty at this point? (It was mostly for Shenmue to be honest).

Ready to finally look for sailors.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Please let the PC version not be trash

All I ask for is:
  • A working product
  • Arbitrary resolution so I can downsample with DSR
That's it

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Shenmue 1 has been ported to the Shenmue II engine, I wonder if it will bring the improvements of Shenmue II to the 1 (Smoother animations, Ryo's animation was a bit rough when walking in Shenmue 1 + being able to take the stairs with another person).

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
i1ysCdt.png

...why am I seeing the 16:9 cutscenes of Shenmue 2 pillarboxed on all sides? lol

I hope and guess it's just an editing mistake in the trailer, they can't possibly be that dense. The cutscenes are already 16:9 in the Dreamcast / Xbox game, you just have to... not show any black bars... and that's it

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
The button icons look much more like the Dreamcast now than that first screenshot they released, unless those icons were specific to the PC release.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The only thing I'm worrying about is that in all the footage featuring the cropped visuals they have that irritating fade from black encroaching several pixels into the image. I'm starting to think this isn't an effect they done for the trailer but is actually how it's presented in game .. hopefully not.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
yes, but it turns off all HD enhancements also when you uncheck it, I believe.
wat

I mean I don't care because I like the bloom but can we at least individually disable the terrible, sickening blur Shenmue 2 Xbox had during battles? That's the only thing I don't like about Shenmue 2 Xbox

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
wow. I could have sworn I checked a few weeks ago and the discount was there. well shit

For what it's worth, when I ordered it in early July I got the discount. Have you tried adding it to your cart and seeing the end price? Sometimes Amazon doesn't properly mark games, and they have been very inconsistent on what they consider a remake or remaster.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just saw on Reddit the games are actually separate titles on PS4 anyway. This is great, I think I prefer it that way rather than having a game selection screen everytime you boot up.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Just saw on Reddit the games are actually separate titles on PS4 anyway. This is great, I think I prefer it that way rather than having a game selection screen everytime you boot up.
That's curious considering on Steam it's a single title
HeUK0Qr.png

Maybe we'll get a dialog like this:
mTBef2G.png

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no prime discount for this?
For what it's worth, when I ordered it in early July I got the discount. Have you tried adding it to your cart and seeing the end price? Sometimes Amazon doesn't properly mark games, and they have been very inconsistent on what they consider a remake or remaster.
They took it off for sure. I had an issue with my payment method and had to cancel the order and noticed the discount was off a couple of days ago. I contacted support and they said that it was removed. I got a credit for the amount as a courtesy but new orders no longer have it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has NEVER played these games, do these stand the test of time (provided I play them in Japanese since I know how bad the english dub is)? Or will they bore me to tears?

Status
Not open for further replies.