• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not round. You're blind. The very booklet you posted confirms what I say:

2nUkUmt.png

Sonic's belly was always OVAL. It's on every official SONIC SEGA logo ever. That render from Sonic The Fighters is irrelevant.

These models have been ripped since 2012. The very model you are measuring. Download it here:

https://www.models-resource.com/arcade/sonicthefighterssonicchampionship/model/7436/

5zybTkC.png

You can open it up in blender and look. His belly is perfectly round, because they subdivided a sphere.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
No, you got it backwards. On a CRT TV via RCA, S-Video or RGB cables the game would be narrower and black bars would either be minimal or not visible - that depends on the overscan settings of each CRT TV. You can simply boot it on a CRT TV if you don't believe me. I hope you do, though. I've worked with tons of CRT TVs and that's why I know what I'm saying. This is how people played Shenmue on their DCs since 1999. This is how SEGA tested the game during its development. There's nothing strange about this. This is how games used to be made on consoles. You never played Metroid on a NES? The Samus ball is not round there, but it's designed that way. What developers usually did was making the sure the overall presentation suited their design and the menus were often squeezed, mainly because they would normally be on the edges where overscan could crop them.

Yes, I literally counted the pixels to show that it's not round and never was. Sonic's belly is oval on every SONIC SEGA logo you can find. That's its design. The poster was wrong about it being round and I simply showed it. We are talking about pixels here, so it's natural they will be important. This is literally about ~10% of pixels in the game.
Seems like you just created an account here yesterday just to bitch about aspect ratios. Dunno if what was said about you being banned from Shenmue Dojo over this is true, but.. uh. Find something better to obsess over, really.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this like Yakuza or should I say Yakuza games inspired by Shenmue games?

Because gif you posted gives me Yakuza vibes and I like new Yakuza zero .That's the only Yakuza game I have played.

Yakuza is like Mario Kart. Shenmue is like F-Zero.

Yakuza is like Streets of Rage. Shenmue is like Virtua Fighter.

Yakuza is like NBA Jam. Shenmue is like NBA2k.

Yakuza is like MS Paint. Shenmue is like Photoshop.

Yakuza is like Pac Man DX. Shenmue is like Mrs. Pac-man.

Yakuza is like Marvel vs Capcom 2. Shenmue is like Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike.

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
Is this like Yakuza or should I say Yakuza games inspired by Shenmue games?

Because gif you posted gives me Yakuza vibes and I like new Yakuza zero .That's the only Yakuza game I have played.
They have similarities but Shenmue is generally slower paced, at least in the first game. Yakuza is more about organized crime drama, whereas Shenmue is more about investigation and adventure. Consequently the games are similar on a surface level but feel pretty different while you're playing. I'd say if you liked Yakuza Zero there's a decent chance you'd like Shenmue, but maybe not.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game development is not easy
What do you mean? The Passport it's like an encyclopedia with a theatre mode, when released he needed to access Internet to work, which wasn't really a possibility for everyone, while today Internet is everywhere.
I presume there will be a selector in the game so you can choose between Shnmue 1 and 2, just add the Passport to the list and call the day.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will give new one a chance when it's out on ps 4.

that's like jumping into lord of the rings at Return of the King.

Shenmue is all one long, continuous story. The games aren't self contained at all, they barely have endings (actually, I'd argue Shenmue II doesn't really have an ending at all, just kind of cutting off at a huge cliff hanger). Nothing at all will make sense if you start with Shenmue III.

Apr 20, 2018
These models have been ripped since 2012. The very model you are measuring. Download it here:

https://www.models-resource.com/arcade/sonicthefighterssonicchampionship/model/7436/

5zybTkC.png

You can open it up in blender and look. His belly is perfectly round, because they subdivided a sphere.
The model in Shenmue is pillarboxed and narrowed on CRT TVs and the belly becomes oval, just like on every official SONIC SEGA logo ever made. That's how those old games for CRT TVs did things. You are taking raw data from an emulator, and from a different game at that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The model is pillarboxed and narrowed on CRT TVs and the belly becomes oval, just like on every official SONIC SEGA logo ever made. Just like the Metroid ball. That's how those old games for CRT TVs did things. You are taking raw data from an emulator.

I'm not taking raw data from an emulator, I'm taking the actual vertexes dumped from an actual Model 2 board. And model 2 boards don't output in SD. They are medium resolution 32khz monitors, not standard SD CRTs. They don't stretch like you are saying they do. Model 2 arcade cabinets actually output square pixels. You are wrong. Source: I owned a model 2 cabinet in the past.

Anyways, I'll just fucking end this right now because I have a CRT SD TV right in front of me[/i] and I will prove to you that this shit doesn't appear as an oval.

Apr 20, 2018
I'm not taking raw data from an emulator, I'm taking the actual vertexes dumped from an actual Model 2 board. You are wrong.

Anyways, I'll just fucking end this right now because I have a CRT SD TV right in front of me[/i] and I will prove to you that this shit doesn't appear as an oval.
You're taking raw data from the game on a PC. How was the vertexes dumped from an actual Moderl 2 board if not through PC software?

You will not end anything because you're talking about a different game designed for an Arcade cabinet (for which SEGA controlled all screen parameters). Use your CRT SD TV to boot Shenmue on a DC and you will prove I'm right.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
that's like jumping into lord of the rings at Return of the King.

Shenmue is all one long, continuous story. The games aren't self contained at all, they barely have endings (actually, I'd argue Shenmue II doesn't really have an ending at all, just kind of cutting off at a huge cliff hanger). Nothing at all will make sense if you start with Shenmue III.

Old Remastered games get visual make up but mechanics are still old, right? Atleast with new one mechanics will be modern. As far as story is concerned then I will watch backstory before jumping in. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, if an act of god happens and stops this convo before this sonic business is concluded I'm going to rage and my life will never be complete.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty certain I had Shenmue for my Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 for me Xbox, but don't recall getting that far into it. Now's my chance to finally beat them.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're taking raw data from the game on a PC. How was the vertexes dumped from an actual Moderl 2 board if not through PC software?

...oh, so you don't know how data works. Vertices reside in EEPROMs which can be exposed by tapping individual pins with a voltmeter and read in serial, linear fashion. This model is the exact data coming from the board itself.

You will not end anything because you're talking about a different game designed for an Arcade cabinet (for which SEGA controlled all screen parameters). Use your CRT SD TV to boot Shenmue on a DC and you will prove I'm right.

scOyRHw.jpg

Red line is 132 pixels long, green line is 131 pixels long. Would you like me to test on a VGA CRT monitor as well to shut you up? Feel free to measure yourself. Or not. Just stop shitting up this thread with your disproven nonsense.

Apr 20, 2018
Member has been banned (24h): keeps derailing thread by arguing about already refuted points despite having been warned for it.
I swear, if an act of god happens and stops this convo before this sonic business is concluded I'm going to rage and my life will never be complete.
Sonic's belly is canonically oval.

DTs6VYD.jpg

AG1852H.gif

hYhYNVB.jpg

ezA5WGq.png

scOyRHw.jpg

Red line is 132 pixels long, green line is 131 pixels long. Would you like me to test on a VGA CRT monitor as well to shut you up? Feel free to measure yourself. Or not. Just stop shitting up this thread with your disproven nonsense.
Get to Ryo's room. See the clock. If it's not oval, you adjusted the H size of your TV to fake this.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. So this whole thread comes down to "Are Ryo's shoulders this wide, or THIS wide?"

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, that's a lot of different art styles and different tech. I could say Sonic 3 and Sonic 3D Blast are more circular that oval. Sonic 06 and Unleashed are more triangle shaped than circular...

Apr 20, 2018
It comes down to a user inventing conspiracy theories because he doesn't know how overscan works.
You're an offensive liar. Anybody can Google the official SONIC SEGA logos and the belly is not round - it's oval. Also, anybody can check how DC games are display on CRT TVs and they are not as you showed them. In fact, you RCA TV clearly has boosted H Size parameter as it's stretches way beyond the scanning area. Even the RCA-VG Dreamcast comparison video posted before shows that DC displays a narrower image on typical CRT TVS.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You're an offensive liar. Anybody can Google the official SONIC SEGA logos and the belly is not round - it's oval. Also, anybody can check how DC games are display on CRT TVs and they are not as you showed them. In fact, you RCA TV clearly has boosted H Size parameter as it's stretches way beyond the scanning area. Even the RCA-VG Dreamcast comparison video posted before shows that DC displays a narrower image on typical CRT TVS.

Who cares about the logo ???
We're talking about the freaking model of the gacha Sonic, which has a ROUND belly because of the low poly count.
You keep arguing in bad faith, calling out other users because you're full of shit and cant even recognize you've been wrong. You've been calling out devs for aspect ratio when they were right and knew better than you.

Zambatoh

Oct 29, 2017

Dude. Even my TV did that and I had no control over it's H Size parameter. I didn't even know you could do that with a TV. But having an image trail off to the side is not unusual and is in fact very common with these old TVs.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, can we change the subject please? As a fellow sailor and somone who knows the four wude, I don't wanna close a Shenmue thread

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to put this to bed, despite the member being banned

2hnFKiV.jpg

Green line is 142 pixels long. Red line is 146 pixels long.

Zoomed in:

1EE4E0G.jpg

Green line is 367 pixels long. Red line is 364 pixels long.

I measured from middle of the dot at the cardinal positions to middle of the dot on the opposite side.

Case closed.

EDIT: I just saw the mod message but I'm leaving this here. I don't like being called an "offensive liar" without a chance to prove myself otherwise. Consider the conversation dropped otherwise.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think mods will be a thing? I want MORE capsule toys and to be able to play cassettes while walking around.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Your posts read very overly condescending fanboy who can't take criticism of his favorite franchise. Maybe that's just how you write, but please stop putting stupid words in my mouth and arguing with the person you think you're talking to... just listen to what I'm actually saying okay?

I am perfectly aware of the situation. There is nothing "practical" about having your aspect ratio change while playing. Either put the effort in to fix issue, or just make the whole game 4:3. It's pretty jarring going back and fourth. Assuming that I don't know what I'm talking about just because I'm making a valid critical observation certainly isn't good for discourse. Nor is saying I'm being "dramatic" just because you are more accepting of a lesser product than I am. We all have different values an none are inherently better than others...
You know, I kind of went out of my way to be as polite as possible with my post, but you're pretty intent on not listening or actually discussing this properly. Continue to put the strawmen up and work yourself into hysterics if that's what you want, but the madness in the last few pages of this thread should be pretty clear that "valid critical observation" is not always so "valid".

Just put me on ignore.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the licenses seem like the first thing folks can do. Really thankful for the PC version for that alone.

I would also really enjoy a mod that lets me play in mostly Japanese but keep Goro's dub. I need the "Yooo dude!"

5000+ new capsule toys mod!

You're going to work 24/7 in game as well to buy virtual toys. This is the best timeline

It will be amazing. I'd love at least some more Saturn and DC themed sets.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Always meant to get around to a Shenmue I & II playthrough where I actually carried my data over from one game to the next. I had the US version of I but the PAL version of II and the saves weren't compatible.

I know there's some kind of homebrew program out there that could convert save files and get around that issue. Might look into it again soon.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always meant to get around to a Shenmue I & II playthrough where I actually carried my data over from one game to the next. I had the US version of I but the PAL version of II and the saves weren't compatible.

I know there's some kind of homebrew program out there that could convert save files and get around that issue. Might look into it again soon.

It's really easy to convert saves on the dreamcast, too, since it can go online. Makes it easy to transfer a save to the PC and back to your DC using the modem and a webbrowser, since the webbrowser let you upload things from your VMU and download straight to the VMU.

Alternatively, there is also modded version of the PAL release that work with US saves, rather than converting your US save to a PAL save. And also mods that let you play the PAL version of Shenmue on an US Dreamcast, so you'll always have PAL saves.

Lots of options available.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bets on which will be the first character swap in Shemue mods? I'd say Kiryu

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Xbox One has dropped to 80.

No wonder Shenmue 3 isn't headed to the Xbox. :)

Meanwhile, Shenmue 3 PS4 is sitting pretty at #8 in the Amazon.co.uk bestsellers list.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/bestseller...&pf_rd_p=c68aefa5-3d9e-4b73-b178-1c6a3aa3c046

#2 in Spain!
So... Shenmue III Xbone would be #1 in ALL markets... if it existed. No?

drop the console warrior chest pump please, the thread is already sad as it is with sonic belly nerdy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.