• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Except for all the texture, clipping and transparency problems described here: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html

The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II is the definite one (except for that Out Run cabinet error).

Some of those differences aren't even bad or a negative. There are benefits and drawbacks for both versions.

Extreme downplaying. There's a lot more issues and that list from Shenmue Dojo isn't even full. The person who complied it just gave up after finding those issues because it was time-consuming and hard on his eyes. The underlying fact is: the Xbox version is not definitive and many fans don't want a version with glaring issues like the fans clipping through metal bars.

The graphical effects from the Xbox version can be turned off, but the problem is that they might not add such an option. Of course, PC modders will hack it, but the console owners might get stuck with them. We need to voice our concerns and nobody should downplay things just because they personally don't care about them. It's all about providing the best product in general.

The remaster is needed mostly because DC hardware is failing due to old age, not to mention the problems and costs of upscaling SD graphics on modern screens.

I don't think glaring is the most accurate way to describe these differences. Glaring would be in your face where the vast, vast majority of people would never know about them unless they were shown or looking for the differences.

Also it's 2018, they aren't going to use QAA. No need to be that worried because they are using the Xbox version.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
Bloom or no bloom...I've preordered 2 for the PS4. Can't wait for a release date for this summer(opitmistic).

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The only instance where it's actually good is that Out Run cabinet texture which is flipped on the DC. Everything else is either an error or a change with no improvement. Personally, I do mind clipping and no transparency on the Xbox a lot.

Why is a change with no improvement considered bad? It just looks like you're lumping everything different, for good or bad, as a negative. We're finally receiving Remaster of Shenmue 1 & 2, a series once thought dead, and you're complaining about some minor clipping.

Apr 20, 2018
Why is a change with no improvement considered bad? It just looks like you're lumping everything different, for good or bad, as a negative. We're finally receiving Remaster of Shenmue 1 & 2, a series once thought dead, and you're complaining about some minor clipping.
The changes are not as aesthetically pleasing and painstakingly detailed as the original texture work in the Dreamcast version. For example, the sign of Taizan Grocery consists of three glass sections and is transparent in the DC version. However, on the Xbox there's just one long metal plate instead because it was easier and quicker to slap something like that. God is in the detail, as the old saying goes.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
The changes are not as aesthetically pleasing and painstakingly detailed as the original texture work in the Dreamcast version. For example, the sign of Taizan Grocery consists of three glass sections and is transparent in the DC version. However, on the Xbox there's just one long metal plate instead because it was easier and quicker to slap something like that. God is in the detail, as the old saying goes.
And then 99% of the people playing(including Shenmue fans like myself who never noticed these differences) will run right by that sign and not give it a second look. I get it bothers you, but you gotta realize just because it bothers you, does not mean it isnt a minor detail.

Apr 20, 2018
And then 99% of the people playing(including Shenmue fans like myself who never noticed these differences) will run right by that sign and not give it a second look. I get it bothers you, but you gotta realize just because it bothers you, does not mean it isnt a minor detail.
I've been a Shenmue fan since the 1999 premiere. I've talked with two generations of Shenmue fans over almost 20 years. Many Shenmue fans actually care because these games are about details to begin with. The fact that the list was compiled proves that, too. Back in the day, the Xbox port received a lot of flack for being inferior.

Even putting that aside, what is wrong in wanting the game to be more detailed?

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust that dev at all but I just need to replay Shenmue II really before Yu Suzuki drops that surreal sequel bomb.
Probably still have a DC and at least 50 original games lying in the attic but fuck that.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
I've been a Shenmue fan since the 1999 premiere. I've talked with two generations of Shenmue fans over almost 20 years. Many Shenmue fans actually care because these games are about details to begin with. The fact that the list was compiled proves that, too. Back in the day, the Xbox port received a lot of flack for being inferior.

Even putting that aside, what is wrong in wanting the game to be more detailed?
While we are throwing around who played Shenmue longer so have I. I also own US Shenmue, 2 Sonic and Sega all stars racing Ryo statues (that they only made 1000 of btw)etc... So don't try and play bigger fan with me and dont shove words down my mouth. I never once said it was wrong to bring up the list, if they can fix those things fine yay, if not, it is NOT going to ruin the game.

You can bring up minor points to fix without acting like if they dont the world is gonna end and shenmue is ruined. Im aware of the flack the xbox port got back in the day at shenmuedojo and I did not care then too. Not all shenmue fans obsess over the same things as you do.

Yeah I love shenmue details too, but I love the important ones, being able to pick up tons of objects, look in drawers, talking to NPC's. But a store sign I never look at most the time? nah, its not important in the grand scheme of things. People get to play Shenmue on modern consoles.

Apr 20, 2018
While we are throwing around who played Shenmue longer so have I. I also own US Shenmue, 2 Sonic and Sega all stars racing Ryo statues (that they only made 1000 of btw)etc... So don't try and play bigger fan with me and dont shove words down my mouth.
What kind of response is that? I referred to my personal experiences because you said that Shenmue fans don't care. Well, we must know different Shenmue fans. I don't see how your ownership of Shenmue merchandise has anything to do with this discussion.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
What kind of response is that? I referred to my persona experiences because you said that Shenmue fans don't care. Well, we must know different Shenmue fans. I don't see how your ownership of Shenmue merchandise has anything to do with this discussion.
I said including shenmue fans like myself, not all shenmue fans. Once again stop claiming I said things I didn't. You cannot blanket statement that for every fan ALl im saying is there is a a section of the fanbase that doesnt get obsessed with a minor texture difference. Also if merchandise doesn't have anything to do with it than neither does being a fan since 1999.

Apr 20, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Repeatedly attempting to dictate the terms of discussion in Shenmue threads despite repeated warnings and bans.
I said including shenmue fans like myself, not all shenmue fans. Once again stop claiming I said things I didn't. You cannot blanket statement. If merchandise doesn't have anything to do with it than neither does being a fan since 1999.
Being a fan since 1999 means that I've known two generations of Shenmue fans. From my experience, Shenmue fans such as yourself who don't care about the details are not a majority. That's what it has to do with it. Blanket statement when I directly said it's about my personal experiences? Come on.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I don't know you, so I might be wrong, but I think that old DC's optical drive noise would make you go bonkers when playing Shenmue.

It hasn't been used since 2010 if I had to take a wild guess. Just trash now and gone the next time I get up there, I don't care about old hardware or physical copies, it's all about the games for me and DC emulation is not good enough. So these remasters are pure gold even if they'll have some flaws.

A dreamcast mini in a few years would be nice though.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Being a fan since 1999 means that I've known two generations of Shenmue fans. From my experience, Shenmue fans such as yourself who don't care about the details are not a majority. That's what is has to do with it. Blanket statement when I directly said it's about my personal experiences? Come on.
Where did i say I dont care about details?

Yeah I love shenmue details too, but I love the important ones, being able to pick up tons of objects, look in drawers, talking to NPC's. But a store sign I never look at most the time? nah, its not important in the grand scheme of things. People get to play Shenmue on modern consoles.

Apr 20, 2018
Where did i say I dont care about details?
Here:

It's you who actually used a blanket statement, BTW. It's right there - "99% of the people". I merely pointed out that in my experience as a Shenmue fan since 1999, not "99% of the people" ignore those details. If that was true, the list never would have been compiled and discussed.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Here:

It's you who actually used a blanket statement, BTW. It's right there - "99% of the people". I merely pointed out that in my experience as a Shenmue fan since 1999, not "99% of the people" ignore those details. If that was true, the list never would have been compiled and discussed.
And I stand by it, 99% of people who play the ps4 version wont notice this(and this should be implied considering the topic we are in). I never said 99% of shenmue fans( just including fans like myself who enjoy the details of the game but just dont care if a texture is clipping or not). More than shenmue fans will be playing this tons of newcomers or people who played back in the day and gave up on a third ever coming out. Id rather have the game at all than not have it because of these small issues.

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone here played a D3T port? Are they competent? Are they bad? Are they above and beyond a typical remaster, like a Bluepoint remaster (not including SOTC, which is a remake)?

It seems like they're competent, but not much else?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is there gonna be a physical release for PC? Some times we get physicial PC games in Europe, is this the case for this remaster?

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck sake.

Having to read through utter pointless shit, just to get to normal worthwhile posts is getting rather annoying now.

EDIT: We have a week of peace.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Who cares what direction stripes go in a texture? Seriously. Your projecting your opinion on others. I've followed the series since day one and not once have I ever thought "this game is good but if they only used glass panels on that one store, it would even better!"

I understand caring about details, but you're obsessing over largely trivial things here.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Who cares what direction stripes go in a texture? Seriously. Your projecting your opinion on others. I've followed the series since day one and not once have I ever thought "this game is good but if they only used glass panels on that one store, it would even better!"

I understand caring about details, but you're obsessing over largely trivial things here.
Thank you, this is all ive been trying to say. Im just so flipping happy I get to play Shenmue on a modern system. Some store sign isnt going to ruin my enjoyment of getting revenge on LanDI

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So I'm guessing they did a fairly decent job, then? Genuinely curious. It sounds like the Sega Mega Drive thing they did for the PC has bad sound emulation, but that seems to plague most Sega classic releases?
I'm not sure they did the actual emulation of the games themselves. Taking a look at the gameography on their website, they have it listed as 2016 (the emulated games have been hitting Steam since 2010) and only accredit themselves for the hub/workshop support/other bits that came with the overhaul.

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017

Nice to see Suzuki getting some recognition. I feel like from the people who know, meaning people working in the industry at the time and people with direct experience his games there generally comes a certain level of respect and recognition toward Yu Suzuki for his talent and works that most of the general public don't really know about. Most of Suzuki's works were either Arcade games or Shenmue 1 and 2 on Dreamcast. Arcade games in the West largely started died out as the internet became popular, and of course the Dreamcast was never a big hit compared to the PlayStation 2 for instance, so Shenmue was kinda doomed to a smaller audience by nature of the platform(s) it was available on.

I feel like if Suzuki had only been able to showcase his works to wider audiences from the start like other famous video game developers then he'd be more well known now, I guess, almost like Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamoto. That's part of the reason I'm glad for these Remasters and Shenmue 3, more of the public will finally get to see what Suzuki brought to the game industry then and what he can bring now.

Oct 30, 2017
PS4 is at #7 in the UK.

I wonder how many units Amazon moves on any given day.

Seems like a big deal when you're putting it next to God of War.

Sega's social media is also pushing it pretty hard right now. Seems like they're liking what they see.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe how quick this thread grew to this size. I just ordered my PS4 copy and will be double dipping to get the digital copy. I hope we get a release date soon because this game I will be taking time off to enjoy again.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I've ordered for Xbox in case any X improvements down the line. Never know...
While it might happen, I find it extremely unlikely. These games are nearly two decades old, whatever stuff they might add, the original XB1 (and PS4) should have no troubles with it.

Yep, agreed.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nice to see Suzuki getting some recognition. I feel like from the people who know, meaning people working in the industry at the time and people with direct experience his games there generally comes a certain level of respect and recognition toward Yu Suzuki for his talent and works that most of the general public don't really know about. Most of Suzuki's works were either Arcade games or Shenmue 1 and 2 on Dreamcast. Arcade games in the West largely started died out as the internet became popular, and of course the Dreamcast was never a big hit compared to the PlayStation 2 for instance, so Shenmue was kinda doomed to a smaller audience by nature of the platform(s) it was available on.

I feel like if Suzuki had only been able to showcase his works to wider audiences from the start like other famous video game developers then he'd be more well known now, I guess, almost like Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamoto. That's part of the reason I'm glad for these Remasters and Shenmue 3, more of the public will finally get to see what Suzuki brought to the game industry then and what he can bring now.

Suzuki's relationship with Nagoshi isn't too different from Mikami's with Kamiya. Suzuki took Nagoshi under his wing and trained him up to become a game director himself, Nagoshi then split off and lead his own team making their own arcade games. Yu Suzuki is really well respected amongst Japanese game devs. Kojima, Goichi Suda (who believe it or not worked for Suzuki marketing his SEGA arcade games), Kamiya, SWERY, Harada (Tekken) and Itagaki have all shown they are fans/respect him as well. The guy is a legend.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I wonder if they got the Coca Cola license, and other properties, or had to patch them out.

Also, it may seem small but I do hope we get the correct (irregular) aspect ratio so the characters don't look so wide compared to the original Dreamcast games. It's a tricky thing, though, because while the HUD and other 2D artwork in the games were designed with this in mind, things that were modeled like the pheonix mirror appear taller due to the rendering approach.

Either way, I'm still super happy we finally get Shenmue 1 & 2 remastered, and I can stop trying to get the best "almost there" experience via emulation on my beastly PC rig, which still has weird audio dips and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.