• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah there will be a thrashing in scores acting in bad faith. I dont see the satisfaction of beating down on a niche ip but I know others embrace it.
Please. Half the reason why Shenmue threads get so heated is because there's a bunch of people who can't fathom that other fans of Shenmue may have issues with this kickstarter and shout down on them that their opinion and feelings are just "trolling". It's utterly tiresome.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The language wasn't very clear on that. They seemed to imply that, but I would bet only on the "Steam key 1 year later" for now.
Best case scenario though, yes, you get two keys: 1 EGS now and 1 Steam later on

This was my understanding as well. I picked up that you will still only get one key, it will be a Steam key approx. A year later. Either Epic at launch or Steam later, not both.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think it's so damn cool they're making stand-alone content for this demo. Never thought we'd get a What's Shenmue-type thing. It makes me feel better about playing it knowing there will be fewer spoilers for the final game.

Doesn't read to me like it'll expire after an hour...it reads to me like there's roughly an hour of content and once you're done you can replay it again and again...*shrugs*

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Please. Half the reason why Shenmue threads get so heated is because there's a bunch of people who can't fathom that other fans of Shenmue may have issues with this kickstarter and shout down on them that their opinion and feelings are just "trolling". It's utterly tiresome.
What's tiresome is that Shenmue III threads have been pits of bad faith shitposting since 2015. Trust me, because I've been there in basically all of them. God forbid the fans ever call it out when it's been an obvious trend for over four years now.

I can point to some of the earliest threads during development in 2015 on GAF that had almost the exact same tune as the ones we see now. Nothing about what happened at E3 and in the aftermath has started this.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the trial is playable for 1 hour, after which it will expire?

This just sounds weird and confusing. Because why would they say "an estimated 1 hour", if they've set an exact time limit?
It is worded a little weird, might be down to translation phrasing. But the way it's worded does seem to suggest it's like Resident Evil 2 where the trial expires after an hour of play. That's what I'm expecting going by this anyway.
To me, it reads like when a developer says "should take approximately X to beat" because that's whatever average time they've recognised playtesters getting through in. Why give an estimate of an hour if it's a hard locked timer that ends the demo after the hour is up?

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Not really. Shenmue has always been treated pretty shit by the press and message boards for years even before the Kickstarter "controversy". There's no denying some people are using the EGS and Kickstarter refunds as a platform to loudly and unjustifiably shit on the game and everyone involved as much as they can. No doubt some of it hasn't been handled the best but the trolling and vitriol isn't proportionate to what has actually happened - which is the publisher and devs deciding to release the game on EGS. The abuse Yu Suzuki received, even on this forum, was terrible. With many calling him a scammer and dumb shit like that. That probably wouldn't fly now after the Ooblets stuff but pretending like there isn't a subset of people intentionally finding anything they can to perpetuate hate and concern troll over this is disingenuous.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What's tiresome is that Shenmue III threads have been pits of bad faith shitposting since 2015. Trust me, because I've been there in basically all of them. God forbid the fans ever call it out when it's been an obvious trend for over four years now.

I can point to some of the earliest threads during development in 2015 on GAF that had almost the exact same tune as the ones we see now. Nothing about what happened at E3 and in the aftermath has started this.

I've been a member of GAF/Era for a long time, I'm fully aware how people can trash the game series.

That's a completely different issue to whats happening now.

There's a number of us who are clearly displeased with how this kickstarter turned out, and we're absolutely sick of constantly being told we're just trolling. Yes, I spent a lot of money on a kickstarter to just troll about it at this point. That totally makes logical sense.

Like if these issues don't bother you, that's whatever. Good for you. Don't try and play the no true scotsman card.

Not really. Shenmue has always been treated pretty shit by the press and message boards for years even before the Kickstarter "controversy". There's no denying some people are using the EGS and Kickstarter refunds as a platform to loudly and unjustifiably shit on the game and everyone involved as much as they can. No doubt some of it hasn't been handled the best but the trolling and vitriol isn't proportionate to what has actually happened - which is the publisher and devs deciding to release the game on EGS. The abuse Yu Suzuki received, even on this forum, was terrible. With many calling him a scammer and dumb shit like that. That probably wouldn't fly now after the Ooblets stuff but pretending like there isn't a subset of people intentionally finding anything they can to perpetuate hate and concern troll over this is disingenuous.

You're basically painting everyone who has an issue with the kickstarter with the same brush because a few people called him a scammer?

Great look.

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a member of GAF/Era for a long time, I'm fully aware how people can trash the game series.

That's a completely different issue to whats happening now.

There's a number of us who are clearly displeased with how this kickstarter turned out, and we're absolutely sick of constantly being told we're just trolling. Yes, I spent a lot of money on a kickstarter to just troll about it at this point. That totally makes logical sense.

Like if these issues don't bother you, that's whatever. Good for you. Don't try and play the no true scotsman card.

You responded to someone who said the game will be trashed after release by people in bad faith because of EGS. If that's not you then great, it wasn't about you. But don't pretend like those people don't exist and it won't happen because there are pretty good signs to suggest it will.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
You responded to someone who said the game will be trashed after release by people in bad faith because of EGS. If that's not you then great, it wasn't about you. But don't pretend like those people don't exist and it won't happen because there are pretty good signs to suggest it will.
No, that poster was responding to someone saying all the posts in here wanting refunds are in bad faith and then continued on to say there will be more people posting in bad faith as well as beating down on a niche ip. There was nothing about EGS lol.

God forbid people want to know when they'll get their refund because they aren't getting what they were promised. Apparently that's trolling these days!

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue fans are pretty passionate, and will defend the series to the hilt. I know because I've been a fan for as long as Shenmue is a thing and I've seen the bad faith arguing many-a-time.

The EGS stuff is different, though. In fact, for fans who have previously passionately defended Shenmue, that just makes the EGS stuff hurt more. It definitely feels like a big breach of trust.

For the fan community, which has usually been pretty positive in its love for Shenmue, to then turn on those who are let down, saying they are not true fans, is pretty sad in all honesty.

And every time YsNet send me an email, I wonder whether it is my refund or more bullshit. Turns out it's more bullshit.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue fans are pretty passionate, and will defend the series to the hilt. I know because I've been a fan for as long as Shenmue is a thing and I've seen the bad faith arguing many-a-time.

The EGS stuff is different, though. In fact, for fans who have previously passionately defended Shenmue, that just makes the EGS stuff hurt more. It definitely feels like a big breach of trust.

For the fan community, which has usually been pretty positive in its love for Shenmue, to then turn on those who are let down, saying they are not true fans, is pretty sad in all honesty.

And every time YsNet send me an email, I wonder whether it is my refund or more bullshit. Turns out it's more bullshit.
Agreed 100%

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
As has been pointed out in the thread already, Ys Net asks politely for time while they put the refund policy and mechanisms in place in the General Information section of every update. Yet nobody actually seems to read it, and instead engage in tinfoil hattery about delaying refunds for as along as possible or welching on the response policy? The world does not revolve around you.

The people asking for refunds are doing it because the campaign, and therefore the company, apparently can't be trusted on their word. That's the whole *point* of demanding a refund in the first place. You expect blind faith at this point that they won't screw this up in some way too?

It's fine if you don't care about refunds or the people that actually funded the game(aka only reason it's made in the first place) getting screwed over by another company swooping in at the 11th hour, but don't act surprised when every thread that's made on the game without the controversy being fully addressed has people coming expressing their continued displeasure. It's kind of common sense, and being angry at it shows a selfishness that flies in the face of "The world doesn't fly around you" rhetoric.

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
You're basically painting everyone who has an issue with the kickstarter with the same brush because a few people called him a scammer?

Great look.

No I'm not. You're making things up now. Where did I say that everyone with an issue is a troll? No doubt people have concerns but they have been addressed. Refunds are coming as mentioned in the update.

No, that poster was responding to someone saying all the posts in here wanting refunds are in bad faith and then continued on to say there will be more people posting in bad faith as well as beating down on a niche ip. There was nothing about EGS lol.

God forbid people want to know when they'll get their refund because they aren't getting what they were promised. Apparently that's trolling these days!

Lol no he didn't. He was literally talking about scores. What?

Oh yeah there will be a thrashing in scores acting in bad faith.

I'll be the first to call out bullshit and I want them to push refunds as soon as possible, but I can also acknowledge that there are a group of people finding any reason to shit on this because of EGS. Like I said, if that's not you then great.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm not. You're making things up now. Where did I say that everyone with an issue is a troll? No doubt people have concerns but they have been addressed. Refunds are coming as mentioned in the update.
I said you were suggesting people coming into shenmue threads with criticisms are just doing it for disingenuous reasons because they dislike EGS. That's literally what your post was about. I never even mentioned the word trolling.
Lol no he didn't. He was literally talking about scores. What?
The implication of that post was the poster was in agreement with the other posters saying all of this is trolling though. They were just continuing on the discussion. I could have quoted the 3/4 other people doing it, would that make you feel better?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man every Shenmue 3 thread here is a waste of time. It always devolves into the same shit, it's such a drag. It's fucking tiring man.

Think I'm out of looking at these threads. Hope everyone enjoys the game, hope everyone gets their refunds etc.

Jun 12, 2018
yeah there really should be some rules in place for Shenmue 3 threads. Have a refund thread for those who want to discuss refunds and let the other updates be about that update specifically. Trying to steer every Shenmue 3 topic in a toxic direction is really tiresome.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Man every Shenmue 3 thread here is a waste of time. It always devolves into the same shit, it's such a drag. It's fucking tiring man.

Think I'm out of looking at these threads. Hope everyone enjoys the game, hope everyone gets their refunds etc.
Lol same. Don't know why I even bother entering these threads anymore.
And it has been like this wayyy before all the egs crap.

Oct 30, 2017
Just ignore the posts you don't like. It gives them more visibility and time when you respond to them and make them the subject of the thread.

Can't wait for the trial!

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
yeah there really should be some rules in place for Shenmue 3 threads. Have a refund thread for those who want to discuss refunds and let the other updates be about that update specifically. Trying to steer every Shenmue 3 topic in a toxic direction is really tiresome.
Yeah. I actually understand people's concerns about how the whole campaign has been handled, but we can't have every single thread being hijacked by this freaking EGS argument and the overly loud mob that is angry about it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My deadline to actually play and finish 2 is fast approaching.

Went through 1 right after the rerelease and had a wonderful time.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I didn't know they were forcing the trial version to be egs exclusive also. A shame.

Edit: there are more posts thread whining and off topic meta-commentary than anything else in this thread.

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I said you were suggesting people coming into shenmue threads with criticisms are just doing it for disingenuous reasons because they dislike EGS. That's literally what your post was about. I never even mentioned the word trolling.

The implication of that post was the poster was in agreement with the other posters saying all of this is trolling though. They were just continuing on the discussion. I could have quoted the 3/4 other people doing it, would that make you feel better?

"suggesting". Ah, so you are putting words in my mouth. Got it. I don't really understand what your point is and why you're replying to people about things they're not actually saying. You keep saying things like "suggesting" and "implication" which is something you're interpreting. The bottom line is that user was referring to people giving this game review scores in bad faith because of the disproportionate hate this game has got since going EGS exclusive. They never said people in this thread were those types of people.

For some reason you're fixated on coming in to a thread with not all backers rhetoric. I know. Not all backers are trolls. Everyone knows some have genuine concerns about refunds and I've even responded to members in this thread who had genuine questions.

Why you're so intent on arguing with me about this is bizarre unless you genuinely believe there aren't people finding anything they can to shit on this game and the devs. Those people exist on the internet. I've never said everyone in this thread asking about refunds are those people. For some reason you're getting defensive when people say there are a subset of toxic people hating on this game. Again, if that doesn't apply to you then it's not about you. All you need to do is ask yourself "are there people being disproportionately toxic towards this game on the internet because of the EGS bullshit". If the answer is yes then that's who that member was referring to when talking about bad faith review scores. If the answer is no then I don't know what else to say.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Honestly I hope people do get their freaking refunds asap so they can gtfo of the actual game-related discussion threads

You don't like EGS? Whatever. This thread isn't about that.

Discussion guidelines

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Official Staff Communication
We're aware that Shenmue is a subject that a lot of people are very passionate about, and that arguments around it can get heated, but these threads would certainly improve if people focused on discussing the game itself and not on policing each other.

Do not attempt to dismiss concerns from other users regarding refunds or whichever other issues people might have with the game. They're allowed to have those concerns, and they're allowed to voice them in relevant threads.

Conversely, do not attempt to paint people who are simply excited for the game and have no interest in discussing said issues as mere fanboys. They're allowed to voice said excitement in relevant threads regardless of how negatively you might feel about the game.

Posts that break these guidelines going forward, or that continue derailing with metacommentary, will be actioned appropriately.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask, for clarification, is this a relevant thread to be talking about refunds? They have confirmed they are still coming in every backer update, but it does makes this especially hard to parse when it immediately becomes a thread not about the backer trial, but about refunds.

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up that Switch at Phantom River Stone has translated the Japanese announcement regarding the trial which sounds better translated for sure:

"In the trial version, which will be set in the game's first area of Bailu village, you will be able to play up to the completion of a specific scenario. The expected amount of available play time will be one hour, and replay will be possible after clearing the objective. You'll be able to try all kinds of different activities until the trial comes to an end".

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I agree. Everyone here is more worried about the refunds, rather than wanting to celebrate the return of a game we all had to bury almost 20 years ago. :(

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I wont be able to control myself and skip the demo and just wait for the full release. I have the ps4 version but will be getting the trial and it's going to be very interesting trying to run the trial on my old laptop. Cant believe this it's been nearly 20 years in the making.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Everyone here is more worried about the refunds, rather than wanting to celebrate the return of a game we all had to bury almost 20 years ago. :(

db6d3e3fd744783d88ece72edd43c77b.gif

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see the demo coming soon. I really want to see a vertical slice of the game in a more organic way.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting that Epic bother to convert the Kickstarter backer exclusive Trial into an Epic exclusive.
How much Ys Net is deducting from the refund for the September Epic trial installer?

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmation that this trial is going to be standalone mission content makes me very excited for it.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I hope it ends like the demo for the original Shenmue

QWO7tH8.jpg

hah! deep cut - also, this is how i feel reading shenmoo threads around here, pretty much since the KS got bungled early on. it's like all those let it go.gif posters from years back just never stopped.

i was initially bummed this wasn't a PS4 demo, but after waiting nearly 2 decades? i wanna go into this thing with as little knowledge as possible, so i'dve passed on it anyway. excited to hear impressions about it though, game still looks better every time we see it!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
User banned (3 days): Ignoring the staff post and continuing to derail with metacommentary.
[Yes, I read the staff post. I don't believe the following contravenes any of the guidelines laid out. I have zero problem with refunds and think it is right that they are being offered. But it's a battle already won, yet every thread about this game just descends into the same old shit.]

The people asking for refunds are doing it because the campaign, and therefore the company, apparently can't be trusted on their word. That's the whole *point* of demanding a refund in the first place. You expect blind faith at this point that they won't screw this up in some way too?

It's fine if you don't care about refunds or the people that actually funded the game(aka only reason it's made in the first place) getting screwed over by another company swooping in at the 11th hour, but don't act surprised when every thread that's made on the game without the controversy being fully addressed has people coming expressing their continued displeasure. It's kind of common sense, and being angry at it shows a selfishness that flies in the face of "The world doesn't fly around you" rhetoric.
I would recommend reading my post again. I thought I made my point clear, but for absolute clarity:

It is not about asking for refunds, as Ys Net have already detailed a response policy around alternative arrangements and refunds if none are satisfactory, and have politely asked for time to get things in place as they and their partners have other priorities also. Refunds are coming and systems are actively being put in place with Fangamer, we know Epic are paying for them so Ys Net themselves aren't damaged by it, and we know approximately what the response policy and alternative arrangements are. It's absolutely not blind faith with this much information provided and liability explained.

What is maddening is the never satisfied, haranguing, even bullying behaviour I see in threads, comment sections, etc, screaming about refunds no matter the issue. For all the drum beating about backer's rights, these people really would prefer if everything else about the game and rewards fulfillment was thrown on the fire (at the detriment of other backers), just to get their money back a little bit quicker. It is the absolute height of entitlement given Ys Net, Epic, and Deep Silver are rightly going to offer refunds on the PC version if backers don't wish to take the alternatives provided, and have sketched out exactly how they are going to do so.

Again, refunds are not the problem, refunds have already been "won" and are assured. It is the constant derailing, asinine screeching about REFUNDS WHEN that is really dragging Shenmue III threads into the absolute shit. It is near impossible to have an actual conversation about the game here, not that it was particularly easy before.

jeyu

Dec 6, 2018
I just can't wait for it . So sad I'm not on the tier that's got the trial. But I'm seeing day 1 on YouTube

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
User banned (3 days): Ignoring the staff post and continuing to derail with metacommentary.
What about refunds though? Are they waiting until console codes are delivered so only PC backers can claim refunds?
Jesus Christ this is not even the topic at hand this sort of thing you should make your own thread.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Wonderful update, can't wait to hear and read impressions from this since my PC won't be able to run this.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame this is only accessible to backers, I'd love to play it anyway