• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Some interesting details have come out.

https://gamersflag.com/article/interview-quelques-questions-a-yu-suzuki-lors-magic-2018/

GamersFlag: Reactions about the technical aspect (including facial expressions) during the publication of the trailer of August 2017 have they touched you? Did you expect such a virulent reaction and such a definitive judgment when Shenmue IIIwas still in an intermediate phase of development?

Yu Suzuki: We can not do anything about it because people do not know how production is going. For example, what you saw today [ NdR: the extended trailer of Gamescom 2017, which we add below ] is different from where we are today. [In the context of MAGIC 2018 ] this trailer was an opportunity to promote the game. The plan continues as planned on our side. I would like to show other things but for the moment ... Indeed, there were negative returns last year but in 90 seconds, we can not show a game, images do not show everything. You really have to play [ NdR: certainly also in the sense of "see gameplay" ] to get an idea. That's why I would like to show other things as soon as possible.
GamersFlag: We know it does not depend entirely on you, but did you hear from Sega about an HD remaster of Shenmue and Shenmue II ?

Yu Suzuki: It's something I can not talk about for the moment.

GamersFlag: Now that Shenmue III is well advanced, can you tell us, without much detail, of course, if the end of the game is likely to be open and suggest a Shenmue IV ? Is it a possibility that you left yourself?

Yu Suzuki: Yes, the end will be open for a sequel. It will not be possible to finish with this third episode.

GamersFlag: Yes, basically, you had planned more than three episodes.

Yu Suzuki: Yes, and it would not be possible to finish here without ripping off.

http://www.gameblog.fr/dossier_1128_shenmue-3-systeme-de-combat-developpement-version-switch-yu-

Can you tell us how it is new and different? In terms of handling for example.

YS: I can not give you too many details for the moment, but I can tell you that there will be books to learn techniques. Recovering these books will teach new attacks. The game will always offer real-time battles, but it's a system that is more geared towards narration. There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time. Unlike a classic Beat'em All, the Shenmue fights will benefit from a staging close to what can be found in the cinema. They will have that unique touch that only a Shenmue game can have and that the fans will surely recognize. You can use some old techniques and make some combos, but it will not be as difficult as in Virtua Fighter.

Since the release of Shenmue II, SEGA has marketed the Yakuza series which is often compared by players in Shenmue. What do you think of Yakuza?

YS: Yakuza and Shenmue have a lot of similarities but ... I should not have said that. Yes the games are similar. But Shenmue was the first truly open world game of this type and SEGA appreciated and supported it. Subsequently, Yakuza continued this momentum and allowed SEGA to be the precursor of the Open World at the time with (Toshihiro) Nagoshi-kun (the suffix "kun" is used as a mark of affection and of proximity, editor's note) as the director of the Yakuza project. And I think it's good that SEGA has continued in that direction. I am very happy that this happened because major titles such as Grand Theft Auto could see the day thanks to all this.

At the latest news, Shenmue III is scheduled for 2018. Do you think this is an achievable goal? Is it good for this year?

YS: I'll try my best to make that happen.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Hopefully Shenmue III gets released Winter 2018-2019 meaning December-February. Or Spring 2019 at the latest.

And Shenmue IV on next-gen consoles.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't translated corrrectly from French (it's my interview). He said that there is less of a focus on precise timing. He wanted to say that combat will be less like a hardcore fighting game that requires precise timing à la Virtua Fighter. I hope that clears that up.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, lots of QTEs I'm guessing?
I'm guessing QTEs and 'Heat'-styled actions a la Yakuza, but with control parallels to the original fighting engine.

That wasn't translated corrrectly from French (it's my interview). He said that there is less of a focus on precise timing. He wanted to say that combat will be less like a hardcore fighting game that requires precise timing à la Virtua Fighter. I hope that clears that up.

I enjoyed the interview!

Dec 30, 2017

Yu Suzuki said the same thing in June 2000 about Shenmue 1. People shouldn't read too much into it, indeed. Shenmue 3 will surely get Virtua Fighter vibes again but with a more suited design, for the better.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

Great interview btw. Thanks!

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Yu Suzuki said the same thing in June 2000 about Shenmue 1. People shouldn't read too much into it, indeed. Shenmue 3 will surely get Virtua Fighter vibes again but with a more suited design, for the better.
Yes. He was always focused on making Shenmue accessible to children and older folks. He and Miaymoto seemed to share that design philosophy. That's one of the main things I remember about the lead-in to Shenmue back in the day.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks! Too bad he couldn't talk more about Shenmue III. I also wish I had more time. But it's always great to get to talk to someone like Yu Suzuki.
He seems to be very good at evading any substantial questions about the game, so I think you got a pretty decent answer to your battle question. I like that you asked for for more information after his first response.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I should have done the same thing when he gave me the "originality" answer but I knew I didn't have a lot of time left and there was still some things that I wanted to ask.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really sounds like they are going to change all the fights to just QTEs. (But they were very careful not to say those actual words)

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice interview! I feel like the combat will be more cinematic and more redefined than Shenmue 1-2 but still retain the same feel. I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to pull off these moves in the game as Yu Suzuki stated.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I'm imagining the combat will be really close to Yakuza's combat. That's my take on it. Perhaps a QTE prompt will pop up after an enemy executes a special move; or maybe Ryo's special moves will be tied to QTEs.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
The development of Shenmue III had to be done with the permission of SEGA, because the license and the characters still belong to him. Regarding Shenmue III, what kind of relationships do you have with SEGA today? Do you need to get validation of some things?Or do you work in total autonomy?

I have good relations with SEGA. I am always a counselor for SEGA in parallel. We are in regular contact and everything is going well. I keep them informed when we pass capes, milestonesimportant. SEGA knows very well that a Shenmue can only be created by Yu Suzuki. It's my creation. They are not behind me to check each item. We are SEGA licensed but I am the one who runs things.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nice interview. I'm going to take that non-answer on Shenmue I & II HD as a good sign.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time

Please, tell me this won't be a QTE-only game?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
His response to Shenmue HD is interesting. I think he knows something is happening. Fingers crossed for E3!

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the interview, Romain. That's some good stuff.
That's just as depressing to hear, as if it were increasing the amount QTEs. I love the fact i could play the game like VF. *sigh*

This is a real let down for me. And has dampened my expectations for the game.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
There is more fighting issues focusing on timing and that require pressing a button at a specific time

Please, tell me this won't be a QTE-only game?

There my be some hybridization, similar to battles at the end of Shenmue 2, but the battle system will be different than the QTE system. Based on the answers he's given on the battle system in the past, he wants the player to focus more on picking the right move for the situation, rather than simply button mashing.

Nov 28, 2017
Nice interviews, both of'em. Thanks. So, he's expanding the lore, even more than the pre-planned 16 chapters from the beginning? Very interesting. Also, now that him as well as Ys Net are quite familiar with UE4 (and it's revisions) Shenmue IV and V shouldn't take as much time.

Oh and one more thing...

GamersFlag: After finishing your work on Shenmue III , is there a project you would like to work on? Whether it's a new episode of an existing franchise or a new idea that you would like to see take shape.

Yu Suzuki: There are things (smiling) ...

*VIRTUA FIGHTER 6 INTENSIFIES*

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nice interviews, both of'em. Thanks. So, he's expanding the lore, even more than the pre-planned 16 chapters from the beginning? Very interesting. Also, now that him as well as Ys Net are quite familiar with UE4 (and it's revisions) Shenmue IV and V shouldn't take as much time.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I don't think he's thinking about expanding the lore as he said during the conference earlier that day that the story hasn't changed since he wrote it originally. He just confirmed once again that the story won't end in Shenmue III.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hopefully Shenmue III gets released Winter 2018-2019 meaning December-February. Or Spring 2019 at the latest.

And Shenmue IV on next-gen consoles.
Even if it is, i can almost guarantee you the graphics will stay the same thematically. It's obviously a design choice to make this game look more like the other two so a fourth would probably follow that trend. Also, i think its strange to want a series of games on different platforms but oh well...
If this post has nothing to do with graphics, then the statement still stands though, just for others who expect uncharted 4 faces in shenmue 3.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
4 isn't going to work if it needs to rely on crowdfunding, so I will assume sales of Shenmue 3 will be strong enough to make a game with a bigger budget when 4 comes around

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I definitely don't think they'll be able to raise another $6 million from fans. Lightning won't strike twice. I'm still convinced 3 will sell on hype and name alone; better if it's actually good. Helps that we aren't limited to one console this time.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Depends of the critical success of 3. The non-hardcore fans won't put money into this but new freshly converted fans may give a strong hand to the affair.
If it's successful, they should be able to get a good deal with a publisher and not worry about crowdfunding. I seem to recall Shenmue iV being the "inward journey," so it might not even require a big budget.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really sounds like they are going to change all the fights to just QTEs. (But they were very careful not to say those actual words)

Nah, they're still differentiating between Fight QTEs and Free Battles (or whatever this new system will be called).
Well, he talks about how it won't require complex button combinations like in 1 and 2 (->, ->, <- + A/B/X, to pull off the more complex moves, for example).
So they may have just simplified the button combos and maybe finish up some fights with a Yakuza style "finisher" what locks some moves to said QTE finishers, not that different from how in Shenmue 1 in one of the many fights in the warehouse, Ryo finishes off Smith with either the Double Blow or a hard punch to the lower part of the rib cage. I'm guessing it may be something like that. Better integration between Free Battles and Fight QTEs would be cool actually. Just my theory what he's meaning anyway.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Depends of the critical success of 3. The non-hardcore fans won't put money into this but new freshly converted fans may give a strong hand to the affair.
I will say there's definitely a good amount of interest in Shenmue 3. Hopefully Yu can deliver and I have no doubt he will.

I think Yu means the combat won't have complicated button inputs to pull off moves like a fighting game but instead will be more streamlined with heat action qte's. At least that's what I got.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I did some snooping around and discovered the partner in Shibuya Productions seems to be some sort of nuclear physicist inventor. I am assuming Shibuya has provided more funding than we realize. I guess we should've assumed as much considering they're based in Monaco.

* The snooping I did consisted of just looking at the Magic Monaco website before anyone thinks I'm a freak. I just never thought to look at their site until today.

KOSTA YANEV
CHAIRMAN

dot.svg

Kosta Yanev is the inventor of Activbody's exercise system and the company's founder. Kosta is a nuclear physicist and holds a PhD in computer science. He has worked at CERN in Switzerland and has founded and launched numerous successful businesses including FTSAM (airport development), Great Bear (GTBR), Company for Energy Saving (JV with RWE – Germany), DONTNOD Entertainment (Paris), Shibuya Productions (Monaco) and now Activbody.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have time to translate it sorry. Google will have to make do. If you have questions about what he said, I'll help you out.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Is the part about a sailing mini game an accurate translation? I'm using Google. Don't want to post the Google Translate without your permission.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have time to translate it sorry. Google will have to make do. If you have questions about what he said, I'll help you out.

Ah okay. Meant no disrespect - I think these interviews you're doing are genuinely awesome. That's cool, I'm sure Shenmue-Era will jump in to get this translated. No questions as of yet, just waiting on a good translation. Cedric is always quite the open and candid guy so I'm very interested to see what he said. You're doing excellent work.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Section where you talk about actually playing the game. That's the trouble with machine translation! He's discussing playing mini games.