• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm getting an artbook, that sounds like something I wanted. Maybe capsule toys? I honestly forget, I really only wanted the game (which I loved) so anything else that arrives now is just a nice bonus.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
why in the actual hell did it take until months after the game's launch for stuff to get to backers.

they had four human years to manufacture this stuff. were they counting on getting extra backer money after they secured publishing? i do not understand.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
why in the actual hell did it take until months after the game's launch for stuff to get to backers.

they had four human years to manufacture this stuff. were they counting on getting extra backer money after they secured publishing? i do not understand.
Happens on all Kickstarters, but I don't know. This really isn't that long. Mighty No.9's extras took way longer to make their way to me (not to mention some comical errors along the way) and Bloodstained was the same case. Don't even get me started on how long Muv Love took to get some of its backer stuff released...

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Happens on all Kickstarters, but I don't know. This really isn't that long. Mighty No.9's extras took way longer to make their way to me (not to mention some comical errors along the way) and Bloodstained was the same case. Don't even get me started on how long Muv Love took to get some of its backer stuff released...

part of it is that if they're offering the rewards, they would know the cost of goods from the onset, which means there should have been staff on hand or a company hired that would handle this for them. in this case, it appears it could have been fangamer - or it might have just been fangamer handling the shipping process in the us. if it was fangamer then it's even worse because making merch and shipping them is the one thing they do.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Except for the PC version, which has just been thoroughly bungled, the timeline is acceptable, as far as these things go.
Assuming the "or later" doesn't get stretched out too far.

It always sucks when backers are the ones who have to wait the longest, and very long, to get their CE stuff. Just the nature of it a lot of the time. Kickstarter developers tend to be inexperienced with or otherwise not equipped to handle the production and logistics, or it'd cost too much to hire enough people to handle it for them. Or something or other. Publishers have everything set up and just poop stuff out. So those CE's are out months or years before you get your stuff. Doesn't feel great.

So it is of some importance that the stuff you eventually do get, is good stuff. So let's hope for that. I have low expectations though, based on the "Exclusive backer-only case"...

And I expected we'd get all the stuff in some manner of swanky box, as is customary, but it sounds like that might not be the case, and we'll get some item(s) per month and will just have to gradually put all of it in a cardboard box we've written "Shenmue III Kickstarter Collector's Edition" on with a sharpie. :\

They didn't detail things by tier in this update, so guess I'll do that for myself.

$300 Tier - Signed Kickstarter Collector's Edition

Mid to late January 2020

Yu Suzuki Signed Illustration

Early February 2020
Physical CD Soundtrack
Shenmue III Official T-Shirt

March 2020 or later
Physical Artbook
Capsule Toys

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Except for the PC version, which has just been thoroughly bungled, the timeline is acceptable, as far as these things go.
Assuming the "or later" doesn't get stretched out too far.

It always sucks when backers are the ones who have to wait the longest, and very long, to get their CE stuff. Just the nature of it a lot of the time. Kickstarter developers tend to be inexperienced with or otherwise not equipped to handle the production and logistics, or it'd cost too much to hire enough people to handle it for them. Or something or other. Publishers have everything set up and just poop stuff out. So those CE's are out months or years before you get your stuff. Doesn't feel great.

So it is of some importance that the stuff you eventually do get, is good stuff. So let's hope for that. I have low expectations though, based on the "Exclusive backer-only case"...

And I expected we'd get all the stuff in some manner of swanky box, as is customary, but it sounds like that might not be the case, and we'll get some item(s) per month and will just have to gradually put all of it in a cardboard box we've written "Shenmue III Kickstarter Collector's Edition" on with a sharpie. :\

They didn't detail things by tier in this update, so guess I'll do that for myself.

$300 Tier - Signed Kickstarter Collector's Edition

Mid to late January 2020

Yu Suzuki Signed Illustration

Early February 2020
Physical CD Soundtrack

March 2020 or later
Physical Artbook
Capsule Toys

I want to comment again, as I had a few times, on someone who has back a large number of Kickstarters (and I'm still waiting on one from summer 2014....) As said above, a lot of Kickstarter devs are really bad at organizing these things, especially with production/logistics/issues with items being sent to certain countries that have problematic customs.

If anyone has seen the situation with Baby Yoda, you can see that to avoid spoilers, production on merch didn't start until fairly recently, taking months before any of the finished products will end up on shelves. Emails, the back and forth and production with these things are NOT FUN and take a lot of time (I've seen it first hand). That being an example of ONE item. When you have products all probably coming from different companies/factories, like a box, pressed disc, plush/figure, other goodies, and being a small company trying to print several thousand-a couple million for backers? It can be a logistical nightmare!

In most cases, I can see most groups just wanting to send everything COMPLETED in one package. It's just easier with that sheer amount of people. On occasion if there's only a few thousand backers, stuff sometimes goes out separately. But why take so long? Well, in the case of the OST, the music normally gets composed at the end of game development, I believe? So the game would need to be almost done for that to be done. Then contact a company about printing discs, creating the cover art, getting that printed, etc... With the artbook, a lot of the finalized drawings/CG scenes/whatever wouldn't be done until later either. Things like t-shirts? It's probably a case of it just being more practical to toss in the box than just send out individually (shipping gets VERY expensive globally, especially if items go out individually...)

That's just a look of "where's my stuff and why couldn't it be done sooner??" 'Inexperience' mentioned at the above quote, better sums it up. Like I said, I have a ton of KS physical goodies that I'm still waiting on... one day... one year... >_>

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

297126-Inafune.jpg

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Warning! KS OST download is limited to 3 max although the file size is 112MB and the download link expires at 19 May 2020

Code:
Physical reward fulfillment timeline
Mid to late January 2020
Illustration   
Yu   Suzuki Signed Illustration   
Concept   Character Bust

Early   February 2020
Physical   CD Soundtrack   
Shenmue   III Official T-Shirt 

March   2020 or later
Physical   Artbook
Capsule   Toys
Ryo's   Jacket - Replica

Physical PC package and disk production has been delayed. Fulfillment is now expected for early February 2020.
Shenmue III KS Update #127 Thursday 9th January 2020
Shenmue III KS Update #128 Tuesday 21st January 2020

No update from Ys Net regarding January timeline fulfillment. Sorry PC folks. Printing the Epic installer disk is too complicated.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Warning! KS OST download is limited to 3 max although the file size is 112MB and the download link expires at 19 May 2020

Code:
Mid to late January 2020
Illustration  
Concept   Character Bust

Early   February 2020
Physical   CD Soundtrack  

March   2020 or later
Physical   Artbook
Capsule   Toys
Ryo's   Jacket - Replica

Physical PC package and disk production has been delayed. Fulfillment is now expected for early February 2020.
Shenmue III KS Update #127 Thursday 9th January 2020
Shenmue III KS Update #128 Tuesday 21st January 2020

No update from Ys Net regarding January timeline fulfillment. Sorry PC folks. Printing the Epic installer disk is too complicated.

Keep in mind stuff will probably be delayed even further if these items are being printed near Wuhan. I've already had previous Kickstarters announce delays due to this.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of forgot that I haven't received any of this stuff yet.
Was supposed to have gotten the signed illustration in January. And "early February" is slipping away.
Or wait, that's when they were supposed to have shipped the items.

I have low expectations, but am still prepared to be disappointed.
I think that perhaps potentially the actual items might be ok, but in terms of delivery and presentation; maybe by like August at the earliest will I have received all the items, and I expect them to just be in like bubble-wrapped plastic bags.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

Code:
Mid to late January 2020
Illustration  
Concept   Character Bust

Early   February 2020
Physical   CD Soundtrack  

March   2020 or later
Physical   Artbook
Capsule   Toys
Ryo's   Jacket - Replica

Received email regarding the shipment of Signed Illustration.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Who gets the signed illustration? I had the Chibi You reward that included the guest book signing, I got an email saying my signed illustration has shipped?...
You definitely get the illustration.
Signed illustration starts at $300.
KS rewards up to $500
$5 (invalid)
  • Yu Suzuki's thanks and praise.
  • Be able to participate in surveys and vote in polls for the ideas you want to see in the game.
$29
  • Digital copy of Shenmue 3 for PC or PS4.
  • Includes the $5 Reward.
$39
*This reward will be included in all higher rewards.
  • Kickstarter exclusive Shenmue III desktop wallpaper set. The wallpapers will feature the Real Deal Ryo & Sure as Sugar Shenhua - the perfect models of our heroes as they were always imagined to be!
  • Your name on the official Shenmue III website.
  • Includes the $29 Reward.
$60 (Physical PC - invalid)
  • Physical copy of Shenmue 3 in an exclusive, backer-only case (PC only).
$60 (Physical PS4)
  • Physical copy of Shenmue 3 in an exclusive, backer-only case (PS4).
$80
*All higher Rewards with have the International phone card (in-game item) Reward included.
  • International phone card (in-game item)
  • Includes the $60 Reward.
$100
  • Choose one of the following: 1. PS4 Physical Copy 2. PS4 Digital Copy 3. Windows PC Physical Copy 4. Windows PC Digital Copy.
  • Digital copy of the Trial version for PC
  • Your name in the credits.
$120
  • One of four random figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai or the Forklift. (Actual figures may differ from the concept images)
  • Includes the $100 Reward.
$160
  • Backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
  • 20 Capsule Toy Tickets (In-game Item)
  • Mp3 download of the original soundtrack with unreleased tracks
  • Digital artbook filled with unreleased illustrations
  • Shenmue 3 T-shirt
  • Includes the $120 Reward
$175
  • Printed artbook curated by Yu Suzuki
  • Includes the $160 Reward
$250
  • Illustration
  • Backer-only Arcane Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
  • Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket (In-game Item)
  • Physical CD soundtrack
  • Includes the $175 Reward
$300
  • Illustration signed by Yu Suzuki
  • Physical CD soundtrack
$500
  • Get all four figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai and the Forklift
  • Includes the $300 Reward
What happened to the wallpaper downloads for $39 tier and above?

Last edited:

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I have yet to ever receive any physical goods from Fangamer, not only for Shenmue III. Starting to wonder if they're just a fraud. Will never pledge for physical goods again if they're involved.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
You definitely get the illustration.
Signed illustration starts at $300.
KS rewards up to $500
$5 (invalid)
  • Yu Suzuki's thanks and praise.
  • Be able to participate in surveys and vote in polls for the ideas you want to see in the game.
$29
  • Digital copy of Shenmue 3 for PC or PS4.
$39
*This reward will be included in all higher rewards.
  • Kickstarter exclusive Shenmue III desktop wallpaper set. The wallpapers will feature the Real Deal Ryo & Sure as Sugar Shenhua - the perfect models of our heroes as they were always imagined to be!
  • Your name on the official Shenmue III website.
  • Includes the $29 Reward.
$60 (Physical PC - invalid)
  • Physical copy of Shenmue 3 in an exclusive, backer-only case (PC only).
$60 (Physical PS4)
  • Physical copy of Shenmue 3 in an exclusive, backer-only case (PS4).
$80
*All higher Rewards with have the International phone card (in-game item) Reward included.
  • Includes the $60 Reward.
$100
  • Choose one of the following: 1. PS4 Physical Copy 2. PS4 Digital Copy 3. Windows PC Physical Copy 4. Windows PC Digital Copy.
  • Digital copy of the Trial version for PC
  • Your name in the credits.
$120
  • One of four random figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai or the Forklift. (Actual figures may differ from the concept images)
  • Includes the $100 Reward.
$160
  • Backer-only Advanced Technique Scroll (In-game Item)
  • 20 Capsule Toy Tickets (In-game Item)
  • Mp3 download of the original soundtrack with unreleased tracks
  • Digital artbook filled with unreleased illustrations
  • Shenmue 3 T-shirt
  • Includes the $120 Reward
$175
  • Printed artbook curated by Yu Suzuki
  • Includes the $160 Reward
$250
  • Illustration
  • Physical CD soundtrack
$300
  • Illustration signed by Yu Suzuki
  • Physical CD soundtrack
$500
  • Get all four figures: Ryo, Shenhua, Chai and the Forklift
  • Includes the $300 Reward
What happened to the wallpaper downloads for $39 tier and above?

It was never clear to me what gets added, on my tier it just says inc $600 Guestbook, but if that means I'll get the stuff below, then that's great.

I'm sure I got the wallpapers in my reward section on Fangamer.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what I'll get first, the Kickstarter Exclusive experience of picking up kind of random pieces of Shenmue 3 stuff at a service location through the year until I've collected them all and can dump them in a generic plastic container to complete my Kickstarter Collector's Edition.
Or the Dreamfall box I've been waiting on for LITERALLY SEVEN YEARS.

Crowdfunding man. I am quite done with it.
So far, I've received about 82% of the things I've backed. And maybe with 18% of those there's been some kind of calamity or another. Whether it's extreme delays, third parties interfering, the Creative Director turning out to be someone you'd rather not support, the game just turning out naff. All kinds of things can happen. So it's like 67/33 whether it's been a smooth, positive experience or not. And there's the element of thousands of games existing anyway, don't really need to risk my money to make games happen.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone gifted me Shenmue 3 as a semi gag gift. (It'll come one day). The fact the physical box still hasn't shipped is hilarious.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to ever receive any physical goods from Fangamer, not only for Shenmue III. Starting to wonder if they're just a fraud. Will never pledge for physical goods again if they're involved.

Did you ever contact them directly? I personally have never had any issues with receiving my items from the Mighty no 9 or Bloodstained KS. I don't think you can call it "fraud" if fewer than most people did not receive their items. Could be other things like location and such as well.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Did you ever contact them directly? I personally have never had any issues with receiving my items from the Mighty no 9 or Bloodstained KS. I don't think you can call it "fraud" if fewer than most people did not receive their items. Could be other things like location and such as well.
I have contacted them multiple times for the different KS rewards, with what seems like nearly automated replies from them only.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
KS:

Hello Everyone,

Fulfillment for some physical rewards has been delayed since the timeline announcement on January 9th. In our next update we will have a revised timeline for the PC Physical Package and Disk, Physical CD Soundtrack and Shenmue III Official T-Shirt.

Illustrations Now Shipping
The illustration for the Collector's Editions and the signed illustration for the Signed Collector's Editions are now shipping. Please look for the shipping notice from Fangamer in the coming days!

Story Quest Pack DLC
The second round of DLC, "Story Quest Pack," is out on February 18th (times may vary). Content includes an optional quest not in the main game and special items once the quest is cleared.

Description: One day, Ryo encounters Zhang Shuqin - a subordinate of Zhu Yuanda, who had helped Ryo out in the past. Just as Ryo thinks that he's renewed an old friendship, he learns that Zhang has been kidnapped. But by whom - and why?

*To play the DLC, you must have reached Niaowu or have save data on which the game has been cleared.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I received my signed illustration this morning (I'm in the UK).

P1U7vV8.jpg

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I received mine yesterday in the US. I had completely forgotten I was going to be getting it. Though I was never entirely clear what I was going to be getting in the first place.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got mine today in UK, I enjoyed looking at this small illustration more than playing the game.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have low expectations, but am still prepared to be disappointed.
I think that perhaps potentially the actual items might be ok, but in terms of delivery and presentation; maybe by like August at the earliest will I have received all the items, and I expect them to just be in like bubble-wrapped plastic bags.
I had low expectations and had considered the possibility that this could happen when I noticed it was shipped from the US, but I still wasn't prepared for it to actually happen.

Got a notification from customs. I need to pay to receive my rewards...
Which of course is extra fun when there's 3-5 packages. Probably around $30-50 total, possibly more.
What a fucking shitshow. I'm actually angry now.

Let's find out what Fangamer's customer support is like...

Well they answered quickly, but not with what I wanted to hear. Made sense to contact Fangamer first since they're who sent the thing, but that's basically all they were responsible for, not who's to blame here. Ys Net is to blame. Ys Net opted for a US company, didn't bother having them compensate for import fees where applicable.

Well let's see if one can reach Ys Net.

Ys Net sucks.
Thought maybe they'd have some goodwill for the people who funded and believed in them, but they don't seem to give a shit.

Wish I could go back to 2015 and tell myself not to back this game.
Seriously, it's been dismal. They ruined the would-be merry leadup to launch by reneging platform availability. And now they're ruining the delivery of the supposed rewards by making me pay to receive them. The valued backer experience. Absolutely miserable. They took the immense goodwill that was present as the Kickstarter campaign was announced and managed to thoroughly squash it. Good job. A+.

Fangamer has been ok though.
If you're in my position you can contact them to have all items sent in a single shipment, with the hope of minimizing the fee total. Will obviously delay the shipment until all items are ready. But that's kind of preferable in a way. Only one trip and charge, get all the stuff at once. I want it that way.

Any word on that?
No.

You could ask Ys Net. They do at least seem to reply.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Any word on that?

Ice Wheels

Jul 10, 2019
Yep, packages going out. This was the response sent to me:

"Hello,

The PC packages are now currently going out. You should be receiving a shipping notice from Fangamer when ready. You may also check the "Shipments" section of your survey for confirmation and the tracking number.

Just as a reminder, the disk does not contain the game data. The game product code is claimed through the "Downloads and Download Codes" section of your survey.

We apologize again for the delays and thank you for your continued patience and support.

Best Regards,

Joel & the Shenmue III Team"

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up to date with this at all. I backed Shenmue III for $300 and so far I've gotten the game at launch (obviously) and a signed poster about two weeks ago or so. Is that normal?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up to date with this at all. I backed Shenmue III for $300 and so far I've gotten the game at launch (obviously) and a signed poster about two weeks ago or so. Is that normal?

Yes. As most Kickstarters go, they try to get the game out first, with other extra goods coming soon, so it doesn't disrupt getting the game out ASAP. Right now with factories closing in China, expect delays for things like the artbooks and other materials, since many goods come from there.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Yes. As most Kickstarters go, they try to get the game out first, with other extra goods coming soon, so it doesn't disrupt getting the game out ASAP. Right now with factories closing in China, expect delays for things like the artbooks and other materials, since many goods come from there.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind waiting, I was just a little concerned that they might have forgotten all the other stuff I'm due!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just got an update today saying they have a schedule now finally for the physical goods.

Hello Everyone,

We have an updated timeline for rewards fulfillment as delivery time for some items has changed since Update #127.

PC Physical Package and Disk: Shipped
The PC physical cases and disks have now shipped. If you have not received a shipping notice or confirmation through the "Shipments" section of your survey, please contact us at info(at)shenmue.link.

*Please replace (at) with @.

Other Physical Rewards
Shipping will be ongoing as production finishes for each reward, so items will be shipped individually in most cases. Updates will follow when shipping is confirmed. Times listed below are still tentative and may change.

From April onward

*Slacker Backer version will be a blue design on a white shirt

May

Physical CD Soundtrack

Ryo's Jacket - Replica

June

Physical Artbook

July

Capsule Toys

Figure prototypes
...in their capsules
We are requiring all backers who are receiving physical rewards to confirm their shipping information through their survey before rewards are shipped. If you have not already confirmed your shipping information, please do so through your survey.

We apologize for the infrequent rewards fulfillment updates and for any trouble or worry it has caused. In addition, the coronavirus situation has caused significant manufacturing delays for which we must also apologize. We ask for your patience until all items are delivered.

Big Merry Cruise DLC Released!
The third DLC installment, Big Merry Cruise, comes out today, March 17th.

Description: A huge cruise ship has arrived in the Chobu harbor, bringing with it an all-new gambling area. Enjoy various types of entertainment aboard the ship. You can also acquire special items by clearing mini-quests onboard the ship.

*To play the DLC, you must have reached Niaowu or have save data on which the game has been cleared.

Big Merry Cruise is available for purchase separately through the PlayStation Store or Epic Games Store. Get Merry!

Thank you as always for your support!