• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
It's fucking happening!

Got the email today too. Absolutely forgot about this even coming out this month. Could have sworn it was getting delayed again...

master15

Nov 28, 2017
I know it's a minor quibble and in grand scheme of things very inconsequential but I am disappointed the splash and title screen remain unchanged from the demo. Why couldn't we get something simple and beautiful like the originals?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2 in general has so much Shenmue in it like going through all the drawers/cabinets, the journal, viewing all the objects in your hand in first person, the feeling of the camps/towns, etc. I'm surprised people don't mention that more.
Tame spoilers
IMO working on a farm for a couple of hours was a chore but it strangely relaxing like some of the parts and part time jobs of Shenmue

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
D'oh. Why do I feel like I'll be waiting up to a year for everything else...

With the amount of Kickstarting I've done, the manufacturing of extra goods in large quantities can take quite a while. It's basically the toss up of having to prioritize the main game to get out the door, or wait until everything is done to send out.

I think Bloodstained did it well, sending out the game first (in a personalized shipping box) and then all the goods assembled and put together to send out later on.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
UK. I got an email on 30/10 saying it was about to be shipped but yeah no update since.
Far as I can tell none of us from the UK have gotten the actual dispatch emails yet. So I wouldn't be concerned. Yet. ;)

Worst case scenario I'll nab a digital copy to play next week, I can't wait. Doing a Shenmue 2 replay at the moment and its very nice to briskly run through. Still taking time to see the sights but also focusing on story more than I usually do.

SheepheadCG

Feb 27, 2018
UK. I got an email on 30/10 saying it was about to be shipped but yeah no update since.
Over at the Shenmue Dojo, a member contacted both Fangamer & SpiralGalaxy (the people who are dealing with the UK fulfilment of the game). You should have only received the initial email, if this is concerning a PS4 Physical version of the game. As others have said, they are prioritising sending out game first so that it arrives on/before release, and the other rewards will follow later.

If you have ordered a PC Physical, the same applies, and the box will be arriving later. We have been told that they will just add a EGS key to our fangamer page so that we can play it on release. I'd also assume that the same will apply to those who have ordered digital PC/PS4 versions.

SpiralGalaxy in the UK are shipping our orders so we will receive a new email once they are dispatched. People in Europe will likely get their dispatch emails first as their games will have further to ship etc. US fulfilment is being done by fangamer (I believe) and the same applies here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have ordered a PC Physical, the same applies, and the box will be arriving later. We have been told that they will just add a EGS key to our fangamer page so that we can play it on release. I'd also assume that the same will apply to those who have ordered digital PC/PS4 versions.
That's banging. Thanks.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Far as I can tell none of us from the UK have gotten the actual dispatch emails yet. So I wouldn't be concerned. Yet. ;)

Ah ok cheers man, good to know :)

Over at the Shenmue Dojo, a member contacted both Fangamer & SpiralGalaxy (the people who are dealing with the UK fulfilment of the game). You should have only received the initial email, if this is concerning a PS4 Physical version of the game. As others have said, they are prioritising sending out game first so that it arrives on/before release, and the other rewards will follow later.

SpiralGalaxy in the UK are shipping our orders so we will receive a new email once they are dispatched. People in Europe will likely get their dispatch emails first as their games will have further to ship etc. US fulfilment is being done by fangamer (I believe) and the same applies here.

Ah ok thanks for the info. I'm just waiting on the PS4 Physical version so looks like I'm all good at the moment.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I know it's a minor quibble and in grand scheme of things very inconsequential but I am disappointed the splash and title screen remain unchanged from the demo. Why couldn't we get something simple and beautiful like the originals?
It's the only thing that got me upset with this game. Like the title screen makes it look like a cheap game

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
In oregon, no email yet but getting excited refreshing gmail waiting hahah. Feels surreal

EDIT: Got my limited run games shipping email but nothing from the fangamer order yet

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Are we sure this is the last episode or do we need to finish the game first?

If you are asking if this is the end of the story, then no. Suzuki has been very clear for many years even before the KS campaign that Shenmue 3 would not conclude story. He's said he would ideally like potentially two other games to tie up the storyline.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't the finale of the Shenmue story, if that's what you mean (that got announced ages ago)

If you are asking if this is the end of the story, then no. Suzuki has been very clear for many years even before the KS campaign that Shenmue 3 would not conclude story. He's said he would ideally like potentially two other games to tie up the storyline.

Ah, I didn't know that. thanks. So good to know Shenmue won't end that soon. I hope we won't wait 20 years more for the sequel.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ah, I didn't know that. thanks. So good to know Shenmue won't end that soon. I hope we won't wait 20 years more for the sequel.
Well if it is 20 years he won't really be alive to make them. The only reason it took this long is because he no longer had a team nor the money to make this. Now he has all that from the funding and we basically start making games again with this studio. So it would prob be 4 years for shenmue 4 if this is successful

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Off-topic but the main menu for the game looks trash. Looks like they busted that out in like 10-20 mins lol.

In-game UI looks a little better tho.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Getting to Shenmue III was the hard part tbh. As long as the game does reasonably well there will probably be at least one more built on the shoulders of III's development (tech, team, publisher connections, and hopefully revenue).

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Off-topic but the main menu for the game looks trash. Looks like they busted that out in like 10-20 mins lol.

In-game UI looks a little better tho.

They need a dedicated art director for the next game.

For now, this will do.

In the HD remake, d3t's version of the menus and title screen looked really nice tbh.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I have made my choice, I have my dream, Lan Di will drink from the well of my pain and he shall partake in the sweet nectar of defeat. Then I will return to Japan, Marry Nazomi and ride my motorcycle to food truck.
maxresdefault.jpg

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
For now, this will do.
I don't really mind it. Gives me old school JRPG vibes in a way.

Overall though, I don't think people will ever appreciate how far Ys Net had to push to preserve the Shenmue experience as a whole on such a modest budget. People will have their nitpicks, but they've thrown everything and the kitchen sink at preserving the big picture vision of the game. It's very much still punching above its weight, in being a proper follow up sequel to what was formerly the most expensive game series of all time, while on a mostly crowdfunded budget.

Would love to see what Yu Suzuki could do with more money and a bigger staff on the next game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really mind it. Gives me old school JRPG vibes in a way.

Overall though, I don't think people will ever appreciate how far Ys Net had to push to preserve the Shenmue experience as a whole on such a modest budget. People will have their nitpicks, but they've thrown everything and the kitchen sink at preserving the big picture vision of the game. It's very much still punching above its weight, in being a proper follow up sequel to what was formerly the most expensive game series of all time, while on a mostly crowdfunded budget.

Would love to see what Yu Suzuki could do with more money and a bigger staff on the next game.
I'll be really surprised if we get Shenmue 4. This game felt like an impossible game for about 15 years that partially got such an effective kickstarter because it was showcased as Sony's very hyped 2015 conference. I think Shenmue 3 is going to have to be a really liked game, for a kickstarter to possibly work again. Even if Shenmue 3 is great, I still doubt it can stand out the shadow of a cult game. For me, the ideal situation for Shenmue 3 is if Lan Di is stopped, but there are some hints to a continuing story, just in case. This isn't meant to be just a downer, I hope the game is very nice next week.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I'll be really surprised if we get Shenmue 4. This game felt like an impossible game for about 15 years that partially got such an effective kickstarter because it was showcased as Sony's very hyped 2015 conference. I think Shenmue 3 is going to have to be a really liked game, for a kickstarter to possibly work again. Even if Shenmue 3 is great, I still doubt it can stand out the shadow of a cult game. For me, the ideal situation for Shenmue 3 is if Lan Di is stopped, but there are some hints to a continuing story, just in case. This isn't meant to be just a downer, I hope the game is very nice next week.
The plan was never to return to Kickstarter. The goal is to make the series self-sufficient, or at least provide enough of a return for partners to be happy with bankrolling another. A diversified funding structure worked out well enough for Shenmue III, and could do the same for IV. It doesn't require one partner going all-in, and helps spread the risk.

This whole gen has been built on niche game success stories. I'm not expecting anything wild, but it's got as good a chance as mostly anything else. The barrier isn't drastically high to success, and god knows the hardware sales aren't going to hold back the series like it did on Dreamcast. Crowdfunding plugged a multi-million gap in the budget that doesn't need to be recouped, Deep Silver trousered X amount of cash from Epic, the Collector's Editions have sold very well from what we can see, and the game has apparently been putting up a decent fight in observable pre-order charts.

What remains to be seen is whether people feel bold enough to try the series out, but I hope they are. Shenmue is one of those games you at least owe yourself the chance of giving a shot, and I don't see a huge reason why people couldn't jump in with the third game to see if it's up their alley or not.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
'Shenmue'

This whole gen has been built on niche game success stories. I'm not expecting anything wild, but it's got as good a chance as mostly anything else. The barrier isn't drastically high to success, and god knows the hardware sales aren't going to hold back the series like it did on Dreamcast. Crowdfunding plugged a multi-million gap in the budget that doesn't need to be recouped, Deep Silver trousered X amount of cash from Epic, the Collector's Editions have sold very well from what we can see, and the game has apparently been putting up a decent fight in observable pre-order charts.

What remains to be seen is whether people feel bold enough to try the series out, but I hope they are. Shenmue is one of those games you at least owe yourself the chance of giving a shot, and I don't see a huge reason why people couldn't jump in with the third game to see if it's up their alley or not.
It feels to me like the people who want to buy Shenmue 3 already bought it with the kickstarter. Yu Suzuki says you can jump in 3 without playing the previous game but such a character driven journey, I doubt that would feel right. I hope Shenmue 3 has enough to satisfy, just in case it's the last one.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Game is supposed to be released at Tue, Nov 19 2019. Status at USPS Tracking webpage as of Tue, Nov 12 2019:
Label Created, not yet in system

Does Malaysia has a high speed rail connected directly to fangamers fulfillment site?