• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
That's not just for Shenmue 3. It's in every threads where there is mention of an EGS exclusivity, there is just hate. That constant negativity is tiring.

Of course that's not cool for the people who paid the game on Steam. But let's wait and see what happens, maybe the'll be honored in some ways.

And to say that I only appear in EGS threads is stupid.
EGS has to earn my purchases not steal them. I have longed for a release of 3 for over a decade my platform choice is PC steam or a Sega console. As of now neither are an option.

Fuck EGS.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing about the announcement is this:

"But most importantly, in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC, it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option. "

How in the world is Epic Games Store the mest enjoyable experience on PC? That's some Dictator Spokesman level of bullshit. Even Sarah Sanders is jelaous of the one who came up with that comment.

It's most enjoyable for Suzuki who can now by multiple vacation homes.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck that shit.
Sold me a steam version, multiple delay after, has the balls to say " in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC" they choose to make it EGS exclusive.

I'll go for a refund, ( and good god they better refund ), but like with previous similar cases, it's still scummy as fuck. Refund won't make it forgivable, backers are not there to lend you money at a 0% interest rate while you try to attract bigger investors at the cost of promises made to your backers.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

"But most importantly, in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC, it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option. "

How in the world is Epic Games Store the mest enjoyable experience on PC? That's some Dictator Spokesman level of bullshit. Even Sarah Sanders is jelaous of the one who came up with that comment.
They managed to travel to an alternate universe in which Epic released a competent store and confused that store with our universe shitty EGS store.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
They actually did promise Steam keys.

To switch it up like that, while taking a moneyhat from Epic obviously, that's just nasty.

Epic Store is a big Downgrade from Steam, that's just a fact.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

The real discussion probably lasted the exact amount of time to sign a check, and they told "fuck everything".

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
EGS has to earn my purchases not steal them. I have longed for a release of 3 for over a decade my platform choice is PC steam or a Sega console. As of now neither are an option.

Fuck EGS.
Just wait until the gamepass release my friend. I know it's not steam but atleast it's not rewarding epic.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
I know this announcement will make a lot of people unhappy, but ultimately I think this is best for the future of the series. I've been quietly wishing for this to happen for a few months now. My reasoning being that Shenmue 3 is going to get a lot more marketing exposure through EGS than it would have through Steam. The Shenmue 1 & 2 release got no traction on Steam, whereas EGS already has S3 at the top of their upcoming games front page. Shenmue 3 needs this type of exposure to make any sort of sales dent in November with all those heavy hitters surrounding it.

I do feel for anyone that was wanting to play this through Steam. I hope backers will still have the option to request a Steam key, similar to how Metro Exodus pre-orders were honored for Steam purchasers.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am going to contact them today about the refund. I threw in $150 and another $30 for 2nd PC copy. Well, f that.

This is ridiculous and I am not even blaming Epic here as they will so what they always do. Publisher and developer should not be doing that to their loyal backers. Meh...

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's not just for Shenmue 3. It's in every threads where there is mention of an EGS exclusivity, there is just hate. That constant negativity is tiring.

Of course that's not cool for the people who paid the game on Steam. But let's wait and see what happens, maybe the'll be honored in some ways.

And to say that I only appear in EGS threads is stupid.

I paid 300 dollars. I think I have the right to be upset, dont you think ?

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Easy way around this - issue Steam keys to backers who already paid, but only sell Epic keys or on that client. Not that fucking difficult, is it?

Oct 27, 2017

Exclusivity is an inherently bad thing for consumers. It removes consumer choice, forces us into ecosystems with varying or missing features, and only helps people who own stock in the company receiving exclusivity.

The negativity is absolutely warranted, and an easy way to avoid the constant negativity is to simply avoid threads discussing it.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Dude let us shenmue fans who funded the project take our stance in this. The fact EGS keeps getting involved with shitty practices and now has gathered even more in the corner of the shenmue base is on them and on them only.

Don't you think this move could give more money in the pockets of the developers in order to fund future content for Shenmue 3 or a sequel ?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely embarrassing, and I'm sure there are some Epic lunatics who will continue to discount everyone's issues with this ITT.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
unknown.png

1070 and 100GB what

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they must give refunds to anyone who wants them. Yeah, yeah, it's not a preorder but it's still a contract and you can't retroactively change the terms like this without breaking it.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn
I know this announcement will make a lot of people unhappy, but ultimately I think this is best for the future of the series. I've been quietly wishing for this to happen for a few months now. My reasoning being that Shenmue 3 is going to get a lot more marketing exposure through EGS than it would have through Steam. The Shenmue 1 & 2 release got no traction on Steam, whereas EGS already has S3 at the top of their upcoming games front page. Shenmue 3 needs this type of exposure to make any sort of sales dent in November with all those heavy hitters surrounding it.

I do feel for anyone that was wanting to play this through Steam. I hope backers will still have the option to request a Steam key, similar to how Metro Exodus pre-orders were honored for Steam purchasers.
Shenmue 3 didn't need this kind of exposure, this is bad optics.

"please fuck off"

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone that enjoys the regional pricing of Epic Games Store, This is FUCKED. They promised a steam key, put it on steam. Easy as that.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

What the hell is this non-sense. Either EGS should have announced a way to make KS backers whole (Steam only keys for those that backed with Steam), or waited until they could have made that happen.

They absolutely should be roasted for this, giving them a pass 'To give them time to figure out it out' is nonsense.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?

Fuck EGS.

Why though? And I don't mean that just as a EGS question, but anyone really? I personally don't get this mentality of only one store/platform. I support all of them, I buy from GOG, ubistore, Origin, Microsoft's store, they all work fine and let me play my games just fine

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while i'm all for developer choosing where to sell their games, i must say itps a really shitty move for all the backers that were counting on getting it on steam

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they must give refunds to anyone who wants them. Yeah, yeah, it's not a preorder but it's still a contract and you can't retroactively change the terms like this without breaking it.
What contract? Where did you agree to a contract about the platform? What contract term was changed? If you mean a dropdown option, that's not a legal agreement.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Bad publicity, if that's what you mean. The product is now poisoned because, besides signing an exclusivity deal after the game started development, they also lied to the backers. But well, bad publicity is better than nothing.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the game shouldn't be releasing in November when the largest publishers in the world launch their largest games with the largest marketing budgets?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, just the fact that it's exclusive to Epic Games Store is whatever. But the fact that they (and other companies) pull this surprise exclusivity when it was advertised in the kickstarter and in emails and such that it was going to be on Steam is super sketchy and should be criticized.

Deep Silver keeps striking out with this bullshit. It sucks that it has to happen to Shenmue III, which is already a low budget game that absolutely doesn't need this bad publicity.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Can they least still give out steam codes for backers that want them? This has been pretty lame with crowdfunded projects.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
And to think that I considered getting into the series during the next sales. More money to spend elsewhere I guess.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yet another example of why people need to stop treating Kickstarter as a store. You aren't buying anything. You aren't entitled to anything.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Easy way around this - issue Steam keys to backers who already paid, but only sell Epic keys or on that client. Not that fucking difficult, is it?
Yeah, if they are afraid of Steam keys being resold they can also send a link in which you don't even see the serial, you log with your Steam account and the game is tied to it.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think this move could give more money in the pockets of the developers in order to fund future content for Shenmue 3 or a sequel ?

The devs? No. Epic's money likely went to Deep Silver, who bought the publishing rights to this game. They won't pay the devs for future Shenmue 3 projects up-front.

Status
Not open for further replies.