• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

giphy.gif

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Well I found this link on the Kickstarter that resends you the fangamer email to select your product, the question is, is it now too late for me to change from the physical steam disc to the ps4 disc? God, I am so angry at this needless situation, it's completely soured me on getting a sequel I have waited over half my life for.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
You have to love the EGS defenders trying to pick up on technicalities. Way to show how ridiculous their position is.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
"it's just another store" -> "it's just another launcher" -> "it's just another icon"

What's the next step on the list of trying to make the EGS seem as trivial as possible

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yet another example of why people need to stop treating Kickstarter as a store. You aren't buying anything. You aren't entitled to anything.

It isn't a store, but they are absolutely entitled to the reward they paid for.

From the ToS:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they've satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Please don't engage the users that are blatantly trolling. Report and move on, the mods are responding really fast.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Wonder what will be the long term effects of practices like this. Especially for niche games. Money upfront is good but it seems to attract the ire of many especially for Kickstarter projects where you have to backtrack for already promised reward.
the best long term effects of it would be that it fails miserably and then we never have to deal with pc storefront exclusivity ever again

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy that Yu and his team have this safety net from the epic money hat and hopefully they'll get to make more games but I backed this game and will no not be able to play it as I am boycotting the epic store. Feels bad. So after all this time, after owning the original games and being so excited to finally get a sequel I don't get to play it. I guess I will buy it used on PS4 or I will wait for Steam. I presume they will be giving steam keys on release next year. I went from super hyped to super down. Worst E3 ever for me :(
They already had Sony and KS money.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see Valve open the warchest up and go to war with Epic. Who can have the most exclusives? Only time and large amounts of $$$ will tell.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Am I too late for the Shame on you joke?
Anyway, Epic and Deep Silver should drop the pretense and announce their marriage already, it's so obvious they belong together.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, no, refund please. You can't change the platform willy nilly without offering one(non scummy ones for example after the vita and wii u died offered them if they didn't want, say a switch version instead).

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just say that despite being a backer who picked Steam and being fully aware of all of EGS's shortcomings, I'm not personally bothered by this exclusivity deal.

Hell, it might even result in the game being better than it otherwise would've been. Maybe the game was delayed because they got a sudden influx of Epic money and want to put it to good use. Or maybe the publisher's just pocketing it, who knows? Either way, I don't mind.

I'm on ps4 and don't really play on pc so it doesn't bother me either. I also don't think EGS's shortcomings would really effect my enjoyment of the game either. Having said that I am really curious as to where this money hat money has gone as I have my doubts much of has gone in to making the game better.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring staff post and history of modwhining
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.
Gonna risk a ban, but can "STAFF" please just let people discuss. Do we really need the admins making all the arguments for people

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I found this link on the Kickstarter that resends you the fangamer email to select your product, the question is, is it now too late for me to change from the physical steam disc to the ps4 disc? God, I am so angry at this needless situation, it's completely soured me on getting a sequel I have waited over half my life for.

Doesn't hurt to try. I'd try to change it and if it you can't, ask for a refund.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew your original "whas goings on" post was disingenuous" Glad you got got
It's why I ignore many of these concern posts. Constantly ignoring valid points in favour of confirming what they already believed in.
"Oh, it's just about another store? Lol, gamers be mad as usual"
Hilarious...

I'd advise everyone else to ignore them too. There is plenty of information for them to dig into if they truly wanted to know why people are upset.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Whether or not a Steam release was promised to backers, and whether or not Kickstarter backers should expect to get anything they were promised (up to and including the game itself) are two separate discussions though, so I don't see how the post you quoted is in violation of the staff post.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see Valve open the warchest up and go to war with Epic. Who can have the most exclusives? Only time and large amounts of $$$ will tell.

Valve are, for better or worse, fairly aloof and just work on stuff they want to work on. I really doubt there are many in that office who even care about competing with EGS beyond dealing with the customer outrage.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

This is good stuff. Appreciated.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017

That this even needs to be said (to people who are consciously ignoring it and are not simply uninformed) is pathetic.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was designed for people to fund projects that might not get investment otherwise.

You can KS events, movies, and other things inherently not "pre-orderable."

Here's a KS for a cafe: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ondon?ref=section-food-craft-featured-project

When you KS a game, you are gifting a developer cash to make the game. There are "rewards" which may include a preorder, but may not. It's very common to see a $30 reward that include a preorder, but a $10 reward that just includes the soundtrack or a thank-you.

But when it does include a pre-order, you should probably expect them to honor the reward they offered when you pledged with no changes.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

No, it's bad enough that epic is pulling this shit we don't need Valve adding more fuel to the fire.

The EGS is already fucking itself over at every opportunity it gets, better to just let it die out and we can go back to having a healthier PC market without this console-war level bullshit.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Straight from Kickstarter.

At the same time, backers must understand that Kickstarter is not a store. When you back a project, you're helping create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There's a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

I Agree however that this is very shitty what they are doing

This is accurate, but this change isn't the result of a physical problem, or technical limitation with the hardware, or the project collapsing due to whatever reason.

The only reason people are being denied Steam keys, something they were promised in exchange for their money, is because of a contract the devs/publishers willingly signed. That's some grade A bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.