• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So I managed to change my pledge to PS4 digital.

If you also have a PS4 and wouldn't mind a copy for that:
1. Go to your fangamer backer survey page at
https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindling/shenmue3/
2. Login or use your KS link sent to your email.
3. Go to CHANGE YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS.
4. Scroll down and switch Steam to PlayStation Digital Download.
If I can't get a refund i'll go with this as my last resort. Before anything else I don't think they deserve the money anymore

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Email back from KS saying about what I expected, that they can't do anything and to try and contact the creator. Still waiting on the other 2 emails I sent

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how much some of you hate the epic launcher. I think it might speak to a larger problem within the "gaming community" as a whole but I can't quite put my finger on it.

If after all this time you still can't put your finger on the fact that people don't want to pay the same for less then maybe it's you who has the problem?

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When people put their money down on KS, Steam was not mentioned nor promised -- that came after -- so where you do you draw the line?

I'm assuming that when the Fangamer emails came in, those who didn't want Steam asked for a refund or swapped to PS4? That's what I'd be doing if I didn't want EGS.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Epic gets another exclusive*

Meanwhile at Valve offices:
giphy.gif

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
I am so disappointed with Deep Silver. I backed on PS4 but that isn't the point. Steam backers should get Steam codes or a refund.
I hope it was worth burning the good will in a time when Shenmue was fighting a bit of an uphill battle publicly, possibly hurting chances of Shenmue IV.
Drive-by comments like "The game looked shit anyway lol" is a bit petty though.

I wonder if Yu Suzuki had any idea the decision would have this reaction.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I dont quite get this problem. So long as the person has the game what does it matter how you got it? Like if it was a physical copy, why does it matter if I bought it at Best Buy or Target? What matters I have the game and get to play.
I think EGS doesn't work as well as Steam on non-windows machines?

So if you kickstarted it to get a steam version I guess there is a possibility you won't be able to play it depending on the setup. In that case, you absolutely have a reason to be annoyed

Someone who is angry about this should explain it

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Holy shit lol. EGS is not GFWL. GFWL was the devil incarnate. My GFWL "username" is still "thisisstupidxxxxxxx" from 2007 when I had to use it with Bioshock. Still remember waiting a MONTH to use DLC I got for Dirt 3 due to an account lockout. A MONTH.

I would hope no one would say that and if they did, that was spicy bullet to bite on.

GfWL was bad because low budget / microsoft didn't care. Epic is bad by design.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I dont quite get this problem. So long as the person has the game what does it matter how you got it? Like if it was a physical copy, why does it matter if I bought it at Best Buy or Target? What matters I have the game and get to play.

We're way too deep in this topic and this topic has been treaded way too many times for people to come in acting clueless about people's issue here. If you don't get it, google it, check reddit or read the thread. No one should have to explain this again.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
An Epic Game Store exclusive? WTF?

Deep Silver are going to wind up losing a lot of money for not bringing it to Steam.

Last edited:

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
When people put their money down on KS, Steam was not mentioned nor promised -- that came after -- so where you do you draw the line?

I'm assuming that when the Fangamer emails came in, those who didn't want Steam asked for a refund or swapped to PS4? That's what I'd be doing if I didn't want EGS.
*(Read Staff Post & Threadmark)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

So....did you not read the staff post, or?.....

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

I don't want to support EGS and their shitty business tactics. I don't even want their launcher installed.

I would also rather not support developers who lie to me.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
so like, what's the next step to those who participated in the kickstarter? class action lawsuit? mass complaint emails? enjoying the game? you were promised one thing and got another. shit happens, but like where do you go from here?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the level of anger there seems to be about EGS or what they are even doing to the extent other people do because I don't play on pc

But people were promised it would release on steam and fans of the game who waited 17 years for this game and paid sometimes hundreds or even thousands of dollars to make it happen should be give what they were promised

This game wouldn't exist without the fans and they made a dumb and selfish decision here. If fans wanted one and paid for Steam I don't think we have to get it, but DS and the Shenmue devs should. The fans don't deserve this after making this game possible.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I don´t even want a steam key anymore if they were to still give them to backers only. Want my money. Don´t want any involement in any way shape or form with epic.
Fuck epic. Fuck Deep Silver. Fuck Ys.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
User banned (3 days): ignoring staff post
People care about launchers more than a sequel to a videogame no one had the slightest hope it'll finally come out 18 years later. Fucked up priorities.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
so like, what's the next step to those who participated in the kickstarter? class action lawsuit? mass complaint emails? enjoying the game? you were promised one thing and got another. shit happens, but like where do you go from here?

Except the thing here is different. We backed a game but then they had Fangamer taking ORDERS. This qualify as a sale.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much longer can Epic keep this up. This can't be a sustainable business model.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
Well, I pulled up my backer link and made the switch to PS4 - easy peasy. I was happy to help bring Shenmue III into existence and still don't regret backing the project, but I won't support EGS in any way, shape or form.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not sure a court would see this as actionable. They haven't defrauded people out of money, the game can still be played on their PCs, just with different window dressing and friend lists, with the exception being for regions/countries where the EGS is not available (those people would certainly deserve a refund). I can get not liking the EGS, but acting like it (or the WIndows Store) are walled gardens is not going to fly.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had it on my wishlist. First EGS exclusivity I'm burned from. I'm skipping it. I'd rather Epic moneyhat me, not the publishers.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
People care about launchers more than a sequel to a videogame no one had the slightest hope it'll finally come out 18 years later. Fucked up priorities.
At which point are these drive-bys reportable? These comments can be found in every single thread and they add absolutely nothing to the topic. Furthermore they make angry people even more angry.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
"Help us create a sequel to this classic that you guys have waiting on for years!"

After all is said and done...

"Oh hey by the way fuck yall these cats gave us money, get it from their shady ass store or fuck off. Thanks for the help, suckers!"

Sketch as fuck the whole way around imo.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a mess. Both the situation and the thread, it seems people are losing their mind more than normal lol

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That's it. I'm starting to add the "it's just another store/loader/icon" people to the ignore list. There's no discussion worth having with them after all these months.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Except it isn't. Deep Silver already said the physical PC game is shipping with EGS codes and it's "exclusive" not "timed".
The short term will not help the long term since 3 is not going to be the last entry for the series. We need as many sales as possible for it.

Oh interesting. I actually forgot that Deep Silver is publishing this game. Now, I have to ask, how much is Deep Silver taking per unit sold? For some reason, I was under a strange assumption that Shenmue III was self published. Which in my mind, made this a good deal for Yu Suzuki. But it may very well still be a good deal for them? I'm not sure now.

Steam has the bigger amount of users on it. It also doesn't help that SEGA released Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam and EGS is getting 3 exclusively with any potential new fans on Steam left in the cold now.

Fortnite and the Epic Game Client is getting pretty big in size. I can't see Steam users feeling left out (unless they use Linux, like me) , I bet a fairly big percentage of users on Steam already have the Epic Game Client installed on their PC's. Fortnite really is that big of a runaway success. I'm sure it wouldn;t take much to get people to download the Epic Game Client just for this game. They may be losing out on a bigger market, but more money made on each copy sold of Shenmue III is probably a better deal for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.