• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but why is everyone so upset (console gamer). I know it's not on steam but is that why people are so upset? Again,very genuine question looking for a honest answer

Firstly, understand that when people talk about steam, and the epic game store, they're actually talking about two different things at the exact same time. It's confusing to people who don't intimately understand technology, but these things, launchers are some call them, are a combination of store front, and technology suite. I'm sure you've heard of things like OpenGL or DirectX, those are technologies that help make games, specifically those technologies are middlewares that drive graphics cards. They make up a standard language so a game developer can target a "virtual" openGL or directX card, and the people behind OpenGL and DirectX (Khronos and Microsoft) then take care of making their "virtual" card work with physical cards. So from the perspective of a developer, you write for one "virtual" card, and the makers of that "virtual" card spend lots of money making it work with lots of real, physical cards. This is called interfacing.

Steam, the client, has a store bundled with it, but it is also a suite of tools. Steam, the client, can be thought of like DirectX, it does lots and lots of things beyond merely selling you the game. For example, there is this thing called Steam Proton which is an automatic translation layer for linux. With steam proton, you can run any windows game in linux, something thought absolutely impossible years ago. Steam is brimming with technologies like this, like Steam Input, which is how things like Dual Shock Controllers work.

You don't have to buy from Steam, the store, to use Steam, the client's tools. When you buy a game from, like, amazon, the sale goes entirely through amazon, and valve doesn't take 30% because they didn't actually facilitate the sale. But when you buy that game from amazon, or target.com, or where ever, they give you a special "installer" that you can pop into the steam client, and it'll use all the steam client features.

The Epic Games Store is, like the steam client, both a store and a suite of tools. But as a suite of tools, it's anemic. Not a fraction of what steam, the client, does. But worse than that, Epic is relying on people's confusion and inability to understand the difference between a store front and a suite of tools to muddy the picture. Were, for example, Epic Game Store just selling Steam Client installers, like Uplay does, nobody would have a fucking problem at all. But they don't. Instead, when something is "epic store exclusive," that means epic paid to both keep the game off of Valve's technology suite, AND keep it off of every other store besides their own. When something uses steam's technology, they are NOT exclusive to steam, the store. But people who don't know the difference think everything using steam's technology is the same as being exclusive to steam, the store.

By making things exclusive to epic games store, not only are they limiting the number of places where a buyer can purchase from (which has the demonstrable effect of raising game prices), it also cuts features from certain games by keeping them from using steam technologies.

kWdcbdE.png

GkxM758.png

In short, when things go "Epic games store" exclusive, they are limiting the places one can buy from, limiting the feature set of said, usually raising the price of said game, for absolutely no benefit to the consumer at all.

And, as an indie developer, Epic itself creates this division between games it allows onto the store, and games it does not. For games that are not allowed onto the store, it creates an unfair stigma, like those games are somehow lesser games, that actually hurts bottom lines. I don't want to use a specific example by name, because the specific dev got harassed when they made this known, but there was a well known, well reviewed game on steam that got denied a spot on epic game store, and after it got denied, the narrative on twitter turned into "something must clearly be wrong with the game if it got denied a spot on the store" and their sales actually slumped. One of the best features of steam, the store, from the perspective of small developers, is that it puts everyone on equal footing. A dude in bedroom can make a game and it's sold right alongside games made by 1000 person studios with million dollar budgets as though they were equals. EGS creates a division of haves vs have nots that hurt small developers.

EGS is bad for PC gaming all around.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Try telling them you didn't receive the item you ordered
I've seen a couple of posts like this, but surely it's not clear cut as it seems. As technically you're backing or investing into a project with your money, not buying a product. The product is a thank you for the initial investment. Isn't it?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, there would be just as many complaints and outrage.
not really. there would still be complaints and 'outrage', and it would still be largely justified, but EGS and its history are unique and have given PC gamers plenty of reason to dislike this move beyond the mere fact that they aren't +1-ing their Steam library.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Your bank or your credit card company are your best bet for anything involving refunds/chargebacks, even if those have time limits, they're far more interested in helping you than Fangamer, the devs, or Kickstarter ever would be

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that credit card companies are going to let you do a chargeback on something you bought literally half a decade ago.

Even if they did, wouldn't you just be burning Kickstarter for the money anyway?

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you lose out on a lot of features when a game goes to the EGS instead of Steam. Cloud saves, forums, achievements, etc. Let's say you Kickstarted a car but at the last minute you find out you'd no longer get power steering, power windows, keyless entry, etc. "But you can still drive it!" We'll yeah, but it's not what I thought I was buying and I'm used to having that stuff.

For me; terrible forums and achievements no one really cares about. C'mon. Cloud saves are the only thing worth complaining about.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I figured Kickstarter wouldn't really want to get involved here

Loathe as peeps are to admit it, it's kinda hard to explain to peeps that this isn't a particularly fair solution or turn of events

Shit I had to drag my feet into Amazon customer service hell just to get a refund on an XBox code last night, and that one didn't even work

That deadass is the worst URL I've ever seen and I went to COCAINEMOUNTAIN.COM once

I'd rather dropkick my father than read a PDF outside of a work scenario too

Kickstarter really isn't to blame here , but in the end they're going to be ones who suffer the most from this- as this one is going to be a pretty high-profile screwjob that involves a hated company.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
He's the one whose treating his supporters like garbage.
He's given up over four years of his life to sleep in his office working mad hours, and not seeing his family. He has absolutely nothing to prove as a developer, had multiple cushy consulting and teaching posts to get by, and for years privately said he'd not make Shenmue III unless the conditions were perfect. He threw that all away because no matter where he went, people asked about Shenmue. For years, and years.

Usually the first words out of his mouth when trotted out at events like the PC Gaming Show is how much he appreciates the fans and thanking them for their patience and support. He's made time for multiple Shenmue fan outlets over the years for hastily scheduled interviews despite being heinously jet lagged, and there are people on this very forum who have met him over the years, and at least one who has even cultivated a personal friendship and can attest to his character as someone determined to do right by the fans. Trying to make a pantomime villain out of Yu Suzuki is not going to help, and stands completely against the facts of how this project even came to be in the first place.

I get people are pissed at this decision but it's very, very unlikely Ys Net has their ear to the ground enough to know what the reaction to EGS exclusivity would be. Deep Silver would, however, and could have quite easily pitched it as a straight win - which in the context of waiving engine licence fees and getting a higher sales revenue cut, is easy to do if you don't understand the ins and outs of the digital distribution platform wars. Ys Net would have had a say, but it's not guaranteed they understood the repercussions if the publisher is only telling you the upsides.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Yu Suzuki even gets the issue tbh. His advisors let him down here. If given the chance for more funds, I can see why he would have said yes but without the luxury of actually understanding the problem with fucking over Steam orders to EGS. The no refund thing is peak shit housery though.

Oct 25, 2017
He's given up over four years of his life to sleep in his office working mad hours, and not seeing his family. He has absolutely nothing to prove as a developer, had multiple cushy consulting and teaching posts to get by, and for years privately said he'd not make Shenmue III unless the conditions were perfect. He threw that all away because no matter where he went, people asked about Shenmue. For years, and years.

Usually the first words out of his mouth when trotted out at events like the PC Gaming Show is how much he appreciates the fans and thanking them for their patience and support. He's made time for multiple Shenmue fan outlets over the years for hastily scheduled interviews despite being heinously jet lagged, and there are people on this very forum who have met him over the years, and at least one who has even cultivated a personal friendship and can attest to his character as someone determined to do right by the fans. Trying to make a pantomime villain out of Yu Suzuki is not going to help, and stands completely against the facts of how this project even came to be in the first place.

I get people are pissed at this decision but it's very, very unlikely Ys Net has their ear to the ground enough to know what the reaction to EGS exclusivity would be. Deep Silver would, however, and could have quite easily pitched it as a straight win - which in the context of waiving engine licence fees and getting a higher sales revenue cut, is easy to do if you don't understand the ins and outs of the digital distribution platform wars. Ys Net would have had a say, but it's not guaranteed they understood the repercussions if the publisher is only telling you the upsides.

Yu Suzuki owns Ys Net. Ys net is refusing to offer refunds to the people who made their game possible after taking away the version they promised. So yeah, I'm comfortable saying that Suzuki is treating his fans like shit. Unless he comes out and reverses course on this and gives full refunds to everyone who asks for one, I don't think I can ever forgive him.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
not really. there would still be complaints and 'outrage', and it would still be largely justified, but EGS and its history are unique and have given PC gamers plenty of reason to dislike this move beyond the mere fact that they aren't +1-ing their Steam library.

Gonna be honest, its Epic Games' arrogance is what prevents me from ever giving them a dime of my money. They have so arrogantly tossed around their money and assumed that I could be bought with their free games and exclusives, but I won't. It's a matter of principal for me, and I stand by my convictions. Call me stupid. Call me petty. Tell me that I'm hurting myself by not getting to play some of these "amazing" games RIGHT NOW, and I'll tell you there are hundreds of other amazing games out there that will make me just as happy, if not moreso. And a lot of those amazing games aren't even on Steam.

I've had EA on my Blacklist for almost 10 years, and I just installed Origin on my PC last week. I subbed for the XBox Game Pass for PC just because I could. But I will never touch the Epic Games Launcher.

Insomnium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah this is my thoughts as well. I would not be surprised if it's Deep Silver who championed this mess

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet Deep Silver saw the less-than-impressive sales of Shenmue 1&2 HD and panicked. They're just looking for a way that they can minimize their own risk and exposure.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
For me; terrible forums and achievements no one really cares about. C'mon. Cloud saves are the only thing worth complaining about.

Forums can be extremely useful for things like bug reports. There's a lot worth complaining about as the big ass informative post on this very page can perhaps demonstrate.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what will REALLY suck? The loss of Steam Workshop support. No more mod support built right into the client.

Oct 25, 2017
Forums can be extremely useful for things like bug reports. There's a lot worth complaining about as the big ass informative post on this very page can perhaps demonstrate.

Yeah, although the Steam forums can often be a cesspit, there have been multiple times where I encounter some weird technical issue getting an older game to run on my machine, and the Steam forums already have someone explaining exactly what to do to avoid it.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
im a pretty big fan of the buck stops hereing and as the face of the franchise i don't blame people for pointing at suzuki

this is obviously a big deal to a large amount of the backers and fans of this project

he can own it and fix it, or he can see his legacy being sullied because some business partner made an incredibly short sighted decision

or maybe he can't i dunno

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Yeah I figured Kickstarter wouldn't really want to get involved here

Loathe as peeps are to admit it, it's kinda hard to explain to peeps that this isn't a particularly fair solution or turn of events

Shit I had to drag my feet into Amazon customer service hell just to get a refund on an XBox code last night, and that one didn't even work

That deadass is the worst URL I've ever seen and I went to COCAINEMOUNTAIN.COM once

I'd rather dropkick my father than read a PDF outside of a work scenario too

I'm not surprised you don't want to inform yourself before posting about something you don't really undestand. I gave you the tools.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Yu Suzuki owns Ys Net. Ys net is refusing to offer refunds to the people who made their game possible after taking away the version they promised. So yeah, I'm comfortable saying that Suzuki is treating his fans like shit. Unless he comes out and reverses course on this and gives full refunds to everyone who asks for one, I don't think I can ever forgive him.
I'm not going to get into the weeds on this, but if it makes you feel better to take it as a black and white issue go ahead.

But it's still not a reflection of the man, or his character, or the fact he basically put himself through hell for fours years to make this game happen for fans. Absolute indisputable fact, and it doesn't matter what you're comfortable saying.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

If you are the director of a project it is incumbent on you to choose useful, adequate partners to see your project to completion. If Suzuki saw fit to choose a partner who was willing to take these options it is a reflection of his managerial aptitude, which is fit for criticism. Likewise, incompetence in choosing a publisher is tantamount to malice.

I doubt Yu Suzuki even gets the issue tbh. His advisors let him down here. If given the chance for more funds, I can see why he would have said yes but without the luxury of actually understanding the problem with fucking over Steam orders to EGS. The no refund thing is peak shit housery though.

Again, incompetence is tantamount to malice. Reasoning matters little to results.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not surprised you don't want to inform yourself before posting about something you don't really undestand. I gave you the tools.

You know what I wanna read when I wanna relax and wind down the night

A concentrated dose of stuff I already see every day

(I've already read this multiple times)

Definitely not an actual tool though, it's outdated, if it was a real PDF it would have FINAL_PROOF_FINAL and then the date three times

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring modpost, dismissing concerns and context of discussion
Wow gamers are passionate. 44 pages in one day just because Shemue 3?isn't coming to Stream. shemue probably won't even get past 85 on metacritic... Or is there more to this?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to get into the weeds on this, but if it makes you feel better to take it as a black and white issue go ahead.

But it's still not a reflection of the man, or his character, or the fact he basically put himself through hell for fours years to make this game happen for fans. Absolute indisputable fact, and it doesn't matter what you're comfortable saying.

Yeah, he put himself through hell for years to make this game happen. And then he decided to dick his most loyal fans over at the last minute. Regardless of who made the call to go with EGS, not offering refunds reflects incredibly poorly on Suzuki. He threw away two decades of good will for some money, and the absolute least he could do would be to offer money back to the people who were screwed over.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Knowing that these exclusivity deals only seem to exclude Steam rather than being real exclusives to EGS, it's so easy for me to wait for all these exclusives to hit Windows Store/Game Pass.

I'm not sure if this one will, given it's not coming to XBox either; for all the fuss of Metro exclusivity not meaning much when it's also on the Windows store, I think at least part of that comes from the fact it's also on XBox.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Not from me but thanks for nothing kickstarter.

Your recourse is with content creator, not with the platform. The ToS is fairly clear in those regards as well, that KS is not a store.

The good thing is, the company that is fucking people over should have $$

I think the better course of action is seeing if Ys net violated KS terms of service, because I would think that is something that could be actionable.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Are there any type of consumer protection laws for digital purchases? I'd like to believe that consumers would have some way to fight blatant bait and switches like this.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, understand that when people talk about steam, and the epic game store, they're actually talking about two different things at the exact same time. It's confusing to people who don't intimately understand technology, but these things, launchers are some call them, are a combination of store front, and technology suite. I'm sure you've heard of things like OpenGL or DirectX, those are technologies that help make games, specifically those technologies are middlewares that drive graphics cards. They make up a standard language so a game developer can target a "virtual" openGL or directX card, and the people behind OpenGL and DirectX (Khronos and Microsoft) then take care of making their "virtual" card work with physical cards. So from the perspective of a developer, you write for one "virtual" card, and the makers of that "virtual" card spend lots of money making it work with lots of real, physical cards. This is called interfacing.

Steam, the client, has a store bundled with it, but it is also a suite of tools. Steam, the client, can be thought of like DirectX, it does lots and lots of things beyond merely selling you the game. For example, there is this thing called Steam Proton which is an automatic translation layer for linux. With steam proton, you can run any windows game in linux, something thought absolutely impossible years ago. Steam is brimming with technologies like this, like Steam Input, which is how things like Dual Shock Controllers work.

You don't have to buy from Steam, the store, to use Steam, the client's tools. When you buy a game from, like, amazon, the sale goes entirely through amazon, and valve doesn't take 30% because they didn't actually facilitate the sale. But when you buy that game from amazon, or target.com, or where ever, they give you a special "installer" that you can pop into the steam client, and it'll use all the steam client features.

The Epic Games Store is, like the steam client, both a store and a suite of tools. But as a suite of tools, it's anemic. Not a fraction of what steam, the client, does. But worse than that, Epic is relying on people's confusion and inability to understand the difference between a store front and a suite of tools to muddy the picture. Were, for example, Epic Game Store just selling Steam Client installers, like Uplay does, nobody would have a fucking problem at all. But they don't. Instead, when something is "epic store exclusive," that means epic paid to both keep the game off of Valve's technology suite, AND keep it off of every other store besides their own. When something uses steam's technology, they are NOT exclusive to steam, the store. But people who don't know the difference think everything using steam's technology is the same as being exclusive to steam, the store.

By making things exclusive to epic games store, not only are they limiting the number of places where a buyer can purchase from (which has the demonstrable effect of raising game prices), it also cuts features from certain games by keeping them from using steam technologies.
This is a nice explanation, thank you. I only dabble in PC gaming and I never really understood it like this.

I've been playing a couple of games through Proton recently and I really appreciate it. It's definitely a shame to lose that feature especially.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Wow gamers are passionate. 44 pages in one day just because Shemue 3?isn't coming to Stream. shemue probably won't even get past 85 on metacritic... Or is there more to this?
While I agree the game does not look good, there are literally 43 pages discussing how there is "more to this". People paid for one thing and are getting another after rallying around a cult release that people have been waiting for for nearly 20 years.

It's unfortunate no matter how small the affected contingent is.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't that fuckface Tim Sweeney say he wasn't gonna repeat a case like Metro Exodus. What a dick

Exactly. Hey, at least I don't have to say it anymore. Beforehand when you called this guys character out you would have people that didn't know any better assuming you were just being mean. But in this case.... its much better when these people show their ass on their own. Now there can be no doubt about it.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question.

Let's say hypothetically Ys Net / Deep Silver we're in dire straits behind the scenes with this. Not unreasonable to think considering how many times this has been delayed.

Let's say this deal got them to the finish line so that the game could be released, period.

Is this a fair trade for that piece of mind, or would you rather they didn't do the deal at the risk of no one having ANY version of this, with EVERY backer getting screwed in the process?

For me, given the delays and given the uneven dev cycle that usually means trouble, it's a fair trade.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Are there any type of consumer protection laws for digital purchases? I'd like to believe that consumers would have some way to fight blatant bait and switches like this.

So, uh, usually? Most banks and credit card companies will do the chargeback deal, but there's limits to this stuff, and most of these pledges are from YEARS ago

tldr; who fuckin' knows

I did not license my name to this website please cease and desist immediately or I will go Brie Mode

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice explanation, thank you. I only dabble in PC gaming and I never really understood it like this.

I've been playing a couple of games through Proton recently and I really appreciate it. It's definitely a shame to lose that feature especially.

there are lots and lots of features built into steam that are really cool. Steam Input, for example, is incredibly deep, take a look here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/mouse-cursor-onscreen-even-when-using-controller.35670/

Status
Not open for further replies.