• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
No, it isn't.

It's a 'throw me money in hopes whatever I'm pitching will get off the ground' fantasy - Yes, there's 'some' onus to actually get a product out, but the number of failed products that have never seen fruition shows how the platform isn't a 'pre-order'.
No its not, its a project funding platform. Getting a game out of it is a return of investment not necessarily due to pre-ordering
That goes without saying. It's still very much a "pre-order" in the sense that you purchase the product based on what information they're providing, before it's finished and available for consumption.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
As someone who isn't a PC Gamer at all, can someone explain to me why it matters where the game is listed? Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm not familiar at all with the PC gaming landscape.

Personally I don't want to support Epic due to them having a partner like Tencent, who help their government in China to murder and imprison their own people in concentration camps.

Staff Post: Do not argue that Steam keys were never promised to backers.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
That is quite a jump between Minimum and Recommended settings.

I can see how the game ended up being exclusives. That wording on Shenmue being aid by Epic since it uses UE, plus the money on the table it must have had... yeah

Sorry for those that care about exclusives

cKaVuv1.png

A tale as old as time...

That is so 2000s lol

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's not just for Shenmue 3. It's in every threads where there is mention of an EGS exclusivity, there is just hate. That constant negativity is tiring.

Of course that's not cool for the people who paid the game on Steam. But let's wait and see what happens, maybe the'll be honored in some ways.

And to say that I only appear in EGS threads is stupid.

1) If you don't like the negativity don't come to these threads

2) "It's not just shenmue 3" well sorry if we don't give a flying fuck, this is a Shenmue 3 thread and it's a whole different issue since they kickstarted and locked in your choice for the version you wanted, which only came with Steam or PS4, so the last second change to Epic only for PC is literally unacceptable

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This pretty much kills kick-starting anything for me.....talk about a smack in the face.

Yeah, it's difficult to defend crowdfunding after this, Outer Wilds, Phoenix Point and other similar events. It's one thing to try, and fail. But to downright lie and ignore what has been promised to a backer, and communicate in such tonedeaf ways, why should anyone trust crowdfunding again?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and Ignoring Staff Post
Some people have a hatred for the Epic Games Store because it isn't as fully featured as Steam and doesn't offer as good deals for people in other countries. And don't like the inconvenience of having to use different game launchers for different games.

OK. I guess if you're going to break a monopoly you'll have to piss a few people off along the way?

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Do we have any hard confirmation of any EGS bombs? Deep Silver isn't saying anything concrete about Metro Exodus for PC, other than it 'met expectations'. Apparantly it met expectations high enough for them to do this deal again.

Epic is delivering truckloads of money.

IIRC there was one game that was sitting at single digit preorders in the CIS region, might have been Metro but i can't recall.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like they are gonna honor Steam backers. As much as I don't mind the Epic Games Store existing, they should at least honor those who "preordered" the game on Steam that long ago. And unless the dev team was really struggling for money to fnish the game that they HAD to went for Epic's money, this doesn't look good at all.

Nov 1, 2017
Why though? And I don't mean that just as a EGS question, but anyone really? I personally don't get this mentality of only one store/platform. I support all of them, I buy from GOG, ubistore, Origin, Microsoft's store, they all work fine and let me play my games just fine

Most of us are against exclusives. Release a game on all stores and let the customers choose where to buy.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
one good aspect of these deals is that they support smaller developers and helps them survive

that's pretty nice

if backers were lied to, that is awful though. i guess i'd rather not see deals like this for kickstarted games

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And another KS project that was advertised for years as a Steam release that gets cancelled for a EGS exclusity, because yeah money and fuck backers.

I backed it for PS4, but I would be livid if I chose the PC version. I'd have to get the launcher for this one and only game.

Again the trust into crowdfunding projects will get a bad hit because of this.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No its not, its a project funding platform. Getting a game out of it is a return of investment not necessarily due to pre-ordering
Nope. Most kickstarters offer specific things for certain amounts of money. It doesn't matter if they don't want to deliver: they must unless they go insolvent.

Shenmue III was explicitly promised as a Steam key. They must deliver or give a full refund.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who isn't a PC Gamer at all, can someone explain to me why it matters where the game is listed? Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm not familiar at all with the PC gaming landscape.
EGS lacks features that Steam has like Cloud Save backups, Achievements, and Family Sharing, with no way of knowing when these features will come to EGS but knowing that they're just pretty standard features on Steam. So having expected aSyeam key until now but winding up with an EGS version instead with no other PC options, it's pretty much like a downgrade with no particular upsides for the consumers.

It would be one thing if EGS actually had feature-parity with Steam but they're still missing some pretty big things, so for reasons like that I definitely can understand why some people would not be too pleased if they were expecting Steam but now are stuck with EGS instead.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
People were promised Steam keys and are annoyed that they aren't getting them because EGS is a functionally worse platform.

8lUveZ8.png

It's slightly out of date now, but still, a lot are still very true.

I know the EGS is pretty bad, but don't use this picture. It just makes you look bad.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
I still don't get why some people are so weird about other launchers. While I do have most games on Steam, I still have games on GoG, Origin and Epic as well. It's hardly an massive inconvenience to click another icon just to load the odd game from time to time.

Just to be clear, I am a backer of this game. It just doesn't bother me, as long as I get to play the game.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Backers literally put money forward and now they're not "entitled to anything".
Hellworld indeed.

Apparently you're not entitled to your money /s
Anyone who pledged put their money forward to get a game developed - that's what Kickstarter is. It's a form of patronage. In this case, the game has been fully developed, so the money got you exactly what you spent it on. Now, they are giving all people who pledged free rewards, and you are getting exactly the promised reward too. Just not in the location you were hoping for.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
User Banned (Permanent) Long history of trolling in related threads; numerous accumulated infractions
What's up with Valve? Have they released any news regarding this issue?

Epic with its Unreal engine is winning imo.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not just for Shenmue 3. It's in every threads where there is mention of an EGS exclusivity, there is just hate. That constant negativity is tiring.

Of course that's not cool for the people who paid the game on Steam. But let's wait and see what happens, maybe the'll be honored in some ways.

And to say that I only appear in EGS threads is stupid.
Maybe EGS would get more positive discussion if they did things people could positive about? Like, attracting people to the storefront by adding actual features to it, and not having these frequent stories about buying crowdfunded games as exclusives?

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So either the deal was presented and accepted in the last 6 days or they knew in advance and still alluded to Steam in both their recent survey and their E3 info update.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
OK. I guess if you're going to break a monopoly you'll have to piss a few people off along the way?

god this conversation is so tired

breaking up a monopoly implies that the end goal of this is to benefit the end consumer from being exploited by said monopoly. Forcing the consumer to use a competitor that offers a far inferior product isn't benefiting them.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
You guys need to learn the lesson, NEVER kickstart anything.

The developers of the games you kickstart do not consider you stakeholders, do not consider you shareholders, they don't even have to consider you a possible future consumer since you already bought the product.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so now that I'm getting an EGS code instead of a game data disc I'm thinking about the functional differences and am wondering if people can answer me a sincere question

Using the "back up" game functionality, or having a retail Steam disc, still requires an online activation or check with Steam servers on install-time just like it did back in 2003, right? Or am I wrong on this one? It's a minor curiosity, but I'd love to be wrong about this.

apologies if this is worn territory in these threads or otherwise out of place

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Valve? Have they released any news regarding this issue?

Epic with its Unreal engine is winning imo.

What can Valve do? Deep Silver will just change the date from 2019 to 2020 on the Steam Page. Valve can't do anything about it.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about EGS exclusive games with the exceptions of those advertised to be on Steam before being EGS exclusive AND games being Kickstarted and being listed on Steam as potentially available.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Epic could learn a thing from Microsoft about how to get people to not hate you.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why some people are so weird about other launchers. While I do have most games on Steam, I still have games on GoG, Origin and Epic as well. It's hardly an massive inconvenience to click another icon just to load the odd game from time to time.
You just don't get it, do you? It isn't solely about the launcher. It is about Epic shitty business practices by moneyhatting publishers that were going to release their game in Steam and other storefronts. It is because Epic has released a subpar product that is laughable in 2019.

SoldToIna

Banned
Jun 5, 2019
I think it's likely everyone that backed the game will get a choice of which PC version to download, but at retail it'll be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC indefinitely, with subscription services allowed to have the game after its launch window.

Does anyone have sales figures for Metro Exodus?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing against the Epic Games Store, devs can put their games where they want and the exclusivity deals gives devs more funding. HOWEVER, I kickstarted for a Steam code, the Kickstarter specifically said it was for Steam. I paid for what I paid for. They can either give me a Steam copy or give me my money back. This is the only game I ever crowd funded, I won't be doing it again.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that huge player base of kids with very little spending power are going to look forward to the final conclusion to a series they didn't even know existed and hasn't been updated with modern gaming in mind.

What a spit in the face to Shenmue/Dreamcast/Sega fans.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Well... they need to provide steam keys to those they promised would receive them. That or they need to give them a DRM free version that isn't locked to the Epic store, right?

I have zero problem with them going with Epic, but they need to honor their promises.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If people need it, this is what I recall about the refund request process:

1.) Visit the project page and click on the creator's profile name (this opens their bio page)
2.) Click the "Contact me" button, and briefly explain the situation (i.e., pledged for Steam key, but game no longer offered on Steam).

It might also be worth asking if there is any chance to still receive a Steam key, as you are an original backer. I like to think that's a best-of-both-worlds solution, where backers have their original choice of the Steam version, but retail is limited according to their funding deal.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Don't you think this move could give more money in the pockets of the developers in order to fund future content for Shenmue 3 or a sequel ?
Your asking a one way street of satisfying needs, in the wrong direction. Kickstarter should either be a two way street but defenitly never in the direction of the developer only, since them being able to work on a project is the result of funding.

Your thinking only works outside of kickstarter funding

Status
Not open for further replies.