• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
You just don't get it, do you? It isn't solely about the launcher. It is about Epic shitty business practices by moneyhatting publishers that were going to release their game in Steam and other storefronts. It is because Epic has released a subpar product that is laughable in 2019.
The amount of times this bears repeating is ridiculous.
Time is a flat circle.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You guys need to learn the lesson, NEVER kickstart anything.

The developers of the games you kickstart do not consider you stakeholders, do not consider you shareholders, they don't even have to consider you a possible future consumer since you already bought the product.

I guess if we want to ignore all those Kickstarters that were successful and didn't dissapoint thier backers like this

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
my favourite way of breaking up a monopoly is by offering a worse product, utilizing scummy tactics and being told that the benefits will trickle down eventually, that's how I know it's a company I can trust!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Well, Kickstarter comments are going as well as one can imagine.

I will probably stop kickstarting (or Fig or whatever) games altogether now since this has happened multiple times in just last 6 months.

Separately, Deep Silver is the place that shod take the biggest blame here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was designed for people to fund projects that might not get investment otherwise.

You can KS events, movies, and other things inherently not "pre-orderable."

Here's a KS for a cafe: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ondon?ref=section-food-craft-featured-project

When you KS a game, you are gifting a developer cash to make the game. There are "rewards" which may include a preorder, but may not. It's very common to see a $30 reward that include a preorder, but a $10 reward that just includes the soundtrack or a thank-you.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I know the EGS is pretty bad, but don't use this picture. It just makes you look bad.
I mean if someones going to get mad at looking at a list of truths, some pot shots and some out dated information (regional pricing and 3rd party keys are supported now), that's on them if you ask me, frankly.
It was designed for people to fund projects that might not get investment otherwise.

Here's a KS for a cafe: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ondon?ref=section-food-craft-featured-project

When you KS a game, you are gifting a developer cash to make the game. There are "rewards" which may include a preorder, but may not. It's very common to see a $30 reward that include a preorder, but a $10 reward that just includes the soundtrack or a thank-you.
That's ignoring the fact that many kickstarters continue funding after the fact, which are often referred to pre-orders, which indeed often promise things, like a Steam key in this case.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'll just say that despite being a backer who picked Steam and being fully aware of all of EGS's shortcomings, I'm not personally bothered by this exclusivity deal.

Hell, it might even result in the game being better than it otherwise would've been. Maybe the game was delayed because they got a sudden influx of Epic money and want to put it to good use. Or maybe the publisher's just pocketing it, who knows? Either way, I don't mind.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I have nothing against the Epic Games Store, devs can put their games where they want and the exclusivity deals gives devs more funding. HOWEVER, I kickstarted for a Steam code, the Kickstarter specifically said it was for Steam. I paid for what I paid for. They can either give me a Steam copy or give me my money back. This is the only game I ever crowd funded, I won't be doing it again.
"I have nothing against this thing that just created a problem I now have."

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
I think it's likely everyone that backed the game will get a choice of which PC version to download, but at retail it'll be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC indefinitely, with subscription services allowed to have the game after its launch window.

Does anyone have sales figures for Metro Exodus?

they've been super tight-lipped about them for obvious reasons but financial reports indicated the vast majority of sales were on console...for a series that was previously very pc-centric.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why some people are so weird about other launchers. While I do have most games on Steam, I still have games on GoG, Origin and Epic as well. It's hardly an massive inconvenience to click another icon just to load the odd game from time to time.

1. It's been posted over and over again, in every thread about the EGS and movies like this, why people dislike it. If you still don't understand, then you're not really paying attention.
2. It doesn't really matter if you think it's an issue with one launcher over another - if you promise something during a crowdfunding campaign, you deliver on that, or you take the critique that comes your way for going back on the promise.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I think it's likely everyone that backed the game will get a choice of which PC version to download, but at retail it'll be an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC indefinitely, with subscription services allowed to have the game after its launch window.

Does anyone have sales figures for Metro Exodus?
They already posted on Twitter that isn't the case.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that despite being a backer who picked Steam and being fully aware of all of EGS's shortcomings, I'm not personally bothered by this exclusivity deal.

Hell, it might even result in the game being better than it otherwise would've been. Maybe the game was delayed because they got a sudden influx of Epic money and want to put it to good use. Or maybe the publisher's just pocketing it, who knows? Either way, I don't mind.

This late in the game the publisher is pocketing.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if someones going to get mad at looking at a list of truths, some pot shots and some out dated information (regional pricing and 3rd party keys are supported now), that's on them if you ask me, frankly.

Saying stuff like "Chi-com spying" makes the whole movement against the EGS look childish and racist. There's a lot of shit to say about the EGS, stick to that and don't spew lies.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Deadass they probably paid the entire dev cost for Shenmue 3 to get it
Why do you think so? The developer is a small company, any improvement to their income is a good thing. In the case of the Epic Game Store, they not only get charged less per sale, but they also don't get charged the Unreal Engine licensing fee. For a game that will sell as many copies as Shenmue III, that amount will make a large difference in how much money the company makes, which can mean a big deal for their ability to survive through their next game's development. If they weren't exclusive to Epic Games Store, they would make a lot less money overall even without any moneyhatting.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
User Warned: Sarcastic Trolling
Sorry, coming to this late... what's the big deal with Shenmue and why does it matter that it's just another icon? Anyway, see you never in a PC thread but see you in the next exclusive thread! Cheers

Shazaam123

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
There are better ways for Epic to promote their store than grabbing store exclusivity for already announced games. Maybe throw in exclusive shenmue skins in fortnite for free to those that buy shenmue III on their store. Or perhaps have an exclusive DLC or something. But this is nonsense.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The developers of the games you kickstart do not consider you stakeholders, do not consider you shareholders, they don't even have to consider you a possible future consumer since you already bought the product.
depend on the persons/compagny, i mean you have an avatar of LOOM and yet im sure you kickstarted Double Fine Adventure back in the days ;)

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, coming to this late... what's the big deal with Shenmue and why does it matter that it's just another icon? Anyway, see you never in a PC thread but see you in the next exclusive thread! Cheers

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
That goes without saying. It's still very much a "pre-order" in the sense that you purchase the product based on what information they're providing, before it's finished and available for consumption.
Nope. Most kickstarters offer specific things for certain amounts of money. It doesn't matter if they don't want to deliver: they must unless they go insolvent.

Straight from Kickstarter.

At the same time, backers must understand that Kickstarter is not a store. When you back a project, you're helping create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There's a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

I Agree however that this is very shitty what they are doing

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Kickstarters routinely change actually substantial things, like release dates or actual game details. This sort of triviality exciting such passion is perplexing.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

Stop.

Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why do you think so? The developer is a small company, any improvement to their income is a good thing. In the case of the Epic Game Store, they not only get charged less per sale, but they also don't get charged the Unreal Engine licensing fee. For a game that will sell as many copies as Shenmue III, that amount will make a large difference in how much money the company makes, which can mean a big deal for their ability to survive through their next game's development. If they weren't exclusive to Epic Games Store, they would make a lot less money overall even without any moneyhatting.

Big game, cost a lot of money, Deep Silver will want to recoup their investment etc etc etc

If they didn't pay for it all, it's close

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like it, you can probably just sell your Epic key for ~$40, and pocket about 10 dollars in profit.

I mostly just do these Kickstarter/Early Access things because you end up getting a $60 retail game for half price.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I am happy that Yu and his team have this safety net from the epic money hat and hopefully they'll get to make more games but I backed this game and will no not be able to play it as I am boycotting the epic store. Feels bad. So after all this time, after owning the original games and being so excited to finally get a sequel I don't get to play it. I guess I will buy it used on PS4 or I will wait for Steam. I presume they will be giving steam keys on release next year. I went from super hyped to super down. Worst E3 ever for me :(

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what will be the long term effects of practices like this. Especially for niche games. Money upfront is good but it seems to attract the ire of many especially for Kickstarter projects where you have to backtrack for already promised reward.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019

it's absolutely reasonable to think so considering what few hard numbers we've gotten for previous moneyhats have been absurd.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
if your major priority is openness i'm surprised people backed a project partially bankrolled and prominently showcased to the media by the worlds largest manufacturer of closed video game systems, i think that's a major tip-off that this project is not going to meet your expectations in this regard - these kind of hotly debated issues about protecting the pc eco-system are evidently not priorities for the creators. them refusing to offer clarity on storefronts on pc in the original run of the kickstarter is another red flag that should calibrate expectations on the issue.

ultimately i feel kickstarters are always you making a bet on a project in hopes that will pay off for you down the line, rather than a straightforward retail transaction, though i suppose it hurts when you make a poor bet. i hope deep silver actually put a significant chunk of investment in to the final game to merit annoying people on the pc platform over which launcher they expected to use.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I don´t even know what else happened on that pc gaming show despite it being open on my 2nd screen.
The moment i saw the PS4 and Epic logo only i started to search for ways to get my money back.

Not only is Epic ruining Shenmue but also a whole press conference.

I´m at the point where i don´t want the Epic store to improve. I want the starve the beast and i want the whole epic store project to burn to the fucking ground.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

Don't have to tell me twice.

I'm already averse to crowdfunding. I thought this one occasion would be worthwhile but lol.

Serves me right I guess.

Big Hoops

Alt account
Banned
May 6, 2019
Oh, my dumb ass didn't even know this was coming to PC. Let me dip my toes in the Shenmuniverse a bit

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess if we want to ignore all those Kickstarters that were successful and didn't dissapoint thier backers like this
Yeah, every KS I have backed till now has delivered and I've been very happy with it. With this and other recent ones, I'm very dubious unless KS steps in to clarify.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who pledged put their money forward to get a game developed - that's what Kickstarter is. It's a form of patronage. In this case, the game has been fully developed, so the money got you exactly what you spent it on. Now, they are giving all people who pledged free rewards, and you are getting exactly the promised reward too. Just not in the location you were hoping for.

This is a nonsense argument. Steam keys were promised. You probably should have read the staff post.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is a really bad move on their part considering the amount of back lash the epic store gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.