• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Alright. If it's just a launcher. Tell me how do I do the following:
-Share my game with my gf
-Have my saves in cloud for when I move
-Have my controller support
-Have my achievements

I'm waiting.
Not all Steam games support cloud saves or achievements. And they definitely don't all support controllers, nor does Epic not support controllers, dunno what you are talking about there. Being on Steam doesn't mean you would get all that.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I look at this as a positive and not a negative. Shenmue III is being made on a shoestring budget as it is. If You Suzuki wants to maximize profit on each game sold, then this is a smart move. Valve takes a 30% cut, Epic Games would also take a small percentage cut as well for using Unreal Engine 4. Epic Game Store only takes a 12% cut, plus there is an extra incentive with UE4 where they do not have to pay any royalties by selling the game on EGS.

Shenmue III isn't going to be the ending of the series. It is just chapter 3 on what will be more than likely a 4 chapter game series. If Yu Suzuki wants to get the ball rolling on Shenmue IV while funding his studio, it's not so bad that he wants to make as much money on each copy sold, as possible.
Its only a negative because the game wouldn't exist if the fans didn't fund it and deserve to have the game released on the platform they paid for

I could understand this argument if it wasn't for that

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I swear every time we get one of these treads the exclusive bullshit is a little more egregious and the arguments that it's fine are just sliiightly further from they were last time as to what's "reasonable".

The normalisation is absolutely happening.

Also didn't they say they weren't going to be doing this anymore? Or did if ever dream that?
They backed on that statement and rightfully so. I hate Epic as much as most PC gamers however Epic is not the one at fault for offering cash for exclusivity IMO. Deep Silver and Ysnet had a choice.

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've been waiting for this game for so long and it has this shit clouding over it. This actually made me ask for a refund, can't believe it.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you honestly think the key going from Steam to EGS is equivalent to the key going from PS4 to Xbox One? You are that angry that you can't see the difference?

Get out of here with that. You know damn well noone is talking about EGS/Steam in relation to PS4/Xbone.

This is all fucking tiring.

Why am I even replying.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
We backed this in 2013. We backed it with the understanding there would be a physical PS4 and a physical Steam version and paid extra for that reward.
In 2013 there was no mention of Steam, Steam wasn't mentioned until 2018. There were other ways to get digital games to people than Steam in 2013.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
"I have nothing against this thing that just created a problem I now have."
It's only a problem to me if I'm locked into it. If I can easily refund my Kickstarter pledge then I'm fine. But this is the only time I've used Kickstarter, so I don't know how to go about getting a refund. I've honestly second-guessed my pledge to this for years as I'm not even a Shenmue fan, but I pledged for the sake of at the time helping make a dream for many a reality. But there's been nothing but issue with this game since.

Can I get my money back? If so, I'm good.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking unbelievable. I actually had to do a double take when I opened Resetera just now.
OK Deep Silver, fuck you too.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if you order Kingdom Hearts 3 from Amazon for Ps4 and you receive an XBox One copy. It's the same thing. This is nothing but a scam, plain and simple.

I'm not dismissing the issue here, because there's a lot of valid frustration behind it, but the bolded is so exaggerated that it becomes a lie. The same users would be playing the game on the same hardware in the same operating system system.

The downloader (which does have very different features, options, and tools) will be different. Digital account preferences are completely valid when they've been specified to paying backers, so this isn't a "nothing" distinction, but you're undermining that if you insist this is akin to being handed a format you can't use.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Screw EGS, screw Deepsilver, fine, but there are people here saying they'll never touch KS again, and I just think that's tremendously unfair to other devs out there that will look to the platform for their own funding. It's completely the wrong party to go after in this whole thing.

edit: hit the post btn on my phone accidentally
This has happened with Metro, it happened with Shenmue, it happened with another game on FIG. So now when pledging not only have to worry about game being finished after an almost guaranteed delay (sometimes by years), you also have to deal with a good possibility of the game winding up on a platform you don't want to support.

I kickstarted quite a few games, even used FIG for PoE2 but I am done with crowdfunding of games. EGS shitstorm adds another variable I don't need.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of those kickstarters, begging fans to help them create their games just to fuck over those same fans for a quick buck are disgusting to me.

I don't see myself backing anything after all of that and I don't see why anyone else would.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
Most of us are against exclusives. Release a game on all stores and let the customers choose where to buy.

That isnt his argument though, his argument is I will only support one platform. Other companies have rights to support/sell their games how they want. GOG for example wouldnt nsurvive if the work they did to port games for newer systems went into Steams pockets instead

Who says there's anything wrong with multiple store. Epic is forcing a one store monopoly by buying all the merch and making it exclusive. It's the opposite of what you're saying, and I don't get this mentality either that we bait and switch is perfectly reasonable, especially for product you've already preordered. I support all stores expect when they pull shenanigans like this.

Now how the fuck do you even request refunds for something you bought 3 years ago? :/

That is the argument I was replying too though. He stated he would only buy from Steam. No where else, which is a mentality that exists with a lot of gamers that I dont understand. Im not defending EGS (i have no issues with them, but I also dont think of Steam as some shining beacon of light) they are just another storefront for me to buy games. But the original post I replied to, he only uses steam. Why? Does GOG not deserve your money? What about buying games directly through Ubi instead of Steam? What about 3rd party key sites (or is that why you only support Steam, and in reality you arent support Steam at all)?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
None of that has anything to do with how much more money will be made per unit sold, though. Yeah, not going to deny that the Epic Game Store sucks in its current state, and Epic needs to invest more in their infrastructure. The short term injection of money is probably what they want. This sounds like it might even be a timed exclusive?

Except it isn't. Deep Silver already said the physical PC game is shipping with EGS codes and it's "exclusive" not "timed".
The short term will not help the long term since 3 is not going to be the last entry for the series. We need as many sales as possible for it. Steam has the bigger amount of users on it. It also doesn't help that SEGA released Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam and EGS is getting 3 exclusively with any potential new fans on Steam left in the cold now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The Ys Net Kickstarter page directs people with "inquiries regarding the...Epic Games Store exclusive" to Deep Silver's website. Deep Silver are directing people with questions about the Kickstarter to email Ys Net.

If this deal is so great, why does no one want to take responsibility for it?

Instructions on how to change your pledge

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
So I managed to change my pledge to PS4 digital.

If you also have a PS4 and wouldn't mind a copy for that:
1. Go to your fangamer backer survey page at
https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindling/shenmue3/
2. Login or use your KS link sent to your email.
3. Go to CHANGE YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS.
4. Scroll down and switch Steam to PlayStation Digital Download.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you honestly think the key going from Steam to EGS is equivalent to the key going from PS4 to Xbox One? You are that angry that you can't see the difference?
It doesn't have to be an equivalent to be wrong

They explicitly promised a steam release. People gave them money for that. This isn't like a "oh wiiu is dead so we are gonna give you a switch code instead" either like some did which was more understandable than even this is.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I don't mind Epic Games Store because I think competition is good, however I don't like how I was initially promised a Steam key and now its being turned into an EGS key. As someone here mentioned earlier, a good compromise would be to send out Steam keys to all the backers that were promised one and the rest go to EGS.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
So it's not a timed exclusivity deal but a permanent one? Is that the first for Epic?
Shenmue 3 still has a Steam page tho.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I don't know if it's too late, but I found a nice light-hearted reaction video for anyone who disliked how this entire Kickstarter thing turned out.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
It's crazy how much some of you hate the epic launcher. I think it might speak to a larger problem within the "gaming community" as a whole but I can't quite put my finger on it.
I don't know. Maybe it has to do with their practice of moneyhatting exclusives and tying down games to a platform that proves to be way more expensive for some. It could be the price for someone, or the utter lack of features. We all have our reasons for not preferring EGS. Surely you don't expect us to bend over and say okay when they moneyhat exclusivity to force us onto their store.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The Ys Net Kickstarter page directs people with "inquiries regarding the...Epic Games Store exclusive" to Deep Silver's website. Deep Silver are directing people with questions about the Kickstarter to email Ys Net.

If this deal is so great, why does no one want to take responsibility for it?
giphy.gif

"We are happy to announce" headass.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Games for windows live is just another launcher guys, you should just bite the bullet and use it.

Holy shit lol. EGS is not GFWL. GFWL was the devil incarnate. My GFWL "username" is still "thisisstupidxxxxxxx" from 2007 when I had to use it with Bioshock. Still remember waiting a MONTH to use DLC I got for Dirt 3 due to an account lockout. A MONTH.

I would hope no one would say that and if they did, that was spicy bullet to bite on.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, ignoring staff post
I dont quite get this problem. So long as the person has the game what does it matter how you got it? Like if it was a physical copy, why does it matter if I bought it at Best Buy or Target? What matters I have the game and get to play.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What other games have done that? The devs behind Phoenix Point have promised Steam keys to the backers, but they will not be able to deliver them until after the exlusivity period, and have admitted to not knowing that even that was allowed until after they signed the deal.
I guess I was thinking more of when Metro pre-orders got to keep their Steam copies. I guess the best way to fix it would be to give backers an Epic key in November and a Steam key 1 year later. Play it first on Epic, then just have an archival copy for Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.