• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The troll posts in this thread are embarrassing. We get it, not everyone cares about Shenmue. Some of us do and have been waiting 18 years for this game. I don't go into threads for games I'm not interested in to rain on the parade.

I'm happy to hear this just because it means Yu Suzuki and the devs got a nice payment from Epic.

This deal reeks of Deep Silver pocketing in the money. LOL

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The troll posts in this thread are embarrassing. We get it, not everyone cares about Shenmue. Some of us do and have been waiting 18 years for this game. I don't go into threads for games I'm not interested in to rain on the parade.

I'm happy to hear this just because it means Yu Suzuki and the devs got a nice payment from Epic.

Too bad they got money by scamming their backers. I'm sad to hear we wont get a Shenmue IV since they burned a shiton of bridge for another crowdfunding.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Where you waiting for the Steam version? I came into the thread because this is some shady shit.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Excuse me? These trolls are backers, maybe check the kickstarter page where the comments are backers only and see the reaction there. Yeah people are pissed.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen lots of comments like this and it infuriates me. Not that I'm mad at you or anyone else feeling so burned by KS that they won't back anything else again, because I can understand that, but rather for Shenmue III poisoning the well like this.
I wouldn't blame just Shenmue for this. This is the third somewhat popular crowdfunded game that has done this.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
yeah, but again, refunds are probably easier than trying to get an out for their contract.
Again, that probably won't be the case when getting into the weeds in defining what has been "delivered" on certain digital rewards tiers where assets have been created and implemented.

It's not so much getting out of the contract, but finding the wiggle room to resolve the issue. You'd hope sensible enough business minds could see being flexible could help clear this situation up a lot, but then again I'm surprised nobody planned for a backlash like this in the first place.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Don't know why people think this is in breach of a contract with Kickstarter. Again, Steam was never mentioned as a platform during the campaign: https://web.archive.org/web/20150702171423/https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

If people want refunds that's fine, but that's on Deep Silver/Ys Net, not Kickstarter.
Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho

It's cute that you think Yu Suzuki and his team are getting most of that money and not Deep Silver.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

At this point I doubht Suzuki is getting any money from this. It clearly is a Deep Silver decision.

DigitalScars

Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

I'm a backer, also someone who has been waiting 18 years for it. If i'm a troll for calling out shady business practices then so be it.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i'm just glad that the only crowdfunded game I currently have money in(wasteland 3) decided not to be dicks and fuck me over

it's sad that that's apparently something worthy of praise now but I guess that's just where we're at nowadays,i'll probably be avoiding crowdfunding in general going forward

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, didn't see that post. I don't agree, but to each their own.

It's not a matter of opinion. The kickstarter has no legal binding.
What does have a legal binding is the fangamer order. On kickstarter you dont buy anything. But when you passed through Fangamer, it became an order. You bought something from a store.

Oct 30, 2017
It's like this move on it's own was bad enough, but we also got that embarrassing trailer to really rub salt in our wounds. Tough day to be Shenmue fan.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
What does have a legal binding is the fangamer order. On kickstarter you dont buy anything. But when you passed through Fangamer, it became an order. You bought something from a store.

Yeah, I get that.

It'd be interesting to get the behind-the-scenes story on the development of this game one day, with regards to the deals made with Shibuya, Sony, Deep Silver, and now Epic. The first delay to late 2018 was soon followed by news of Deep Silver taking over as publisher. Then the delay from August 2019 to November 2019 is followed shortly after by the Epic deal. Were the deals pushed by Suzuki/Ys Net to buy themselves more development time?

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that Shenmue had to get sucked into this bullshit. The last thing it needs is to piss off a segment of fence sitters that wanted to give the franchise a chance.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
How do i get my money back?
Ys already sabotaged my PS4 copy with their region decided based on shipping address nonsense. Now my Steam copy too?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Tired: Twitter Ratios

Wired: Kickstarter Update Ratios

Don't know that I've seen a Kickstarter update post ratioed before, but this is the only project I've ever backed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I get that.

It'd be interesting to get the behind-the-scenes story on the development of this game one day, with regards to the deals made with Shibuya, Sony, Deep Silver, and now Epic. The first delay to late 2018 was soon followed by news of Deep Silver taking over as publisher. Then the delay from August 2019 to November 2019 is followed shortly after by the Epic deal. Were the deals pushed by Suzuki/Ys Net to buy themselves more development time?
There's probably not other story rather than Epic offering money and Deep Silver went all in with their portfolio.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that Shenmue had to get sucked into this bullshit. The last thing it needs is to piss off a segment of fence sitters that wanted to give the franchise a chance.

It's not just fence sitters. I'm a longtime fan who has been waiting for this game for 15 years or so, and I backed in the first hour of the project going live. I'm now trying to get a refund and have no intention to ever spend money on this game. The contempt they have for their fans has really pissed me off.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ok. This is a sad day for gamers and and shenmue. First I want to say that I think it's wrong for fans who waited for 20years to let this destroy their own series they waited forever for. It's not like the game was cancel, I do agree that it was wronged that it switch from steam to epic but I'm tired of gamers picking up pitchforks and changing tone 1 sec. I do belive that you Suzuki was prob tricked into going into epic and prob didn't see the difference from the two so I bet he is confused wit the outcry. To him he prob didn't think he tricked users just that epic store wasn't better, it was prob deep silver that's the one to blame. But hey if we don't get shenmue 4 now I hope the fans are happy when this dies down

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
There's probably not other story rather than Epic offering money and Deep Silver went all in with their portfolio.

Maybe for the Epic exclusivity deal, but I get the impression that the Deep Silver deal was likely done due to diminishing funds for development. I know that there was funding from Shibuya Productions in addition to the Kickstarter money, but I doubt all of that together would have funded the dev team for four years.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be surprised if there were fence sitters to begin with. This game is almost exclusively for fans of the previous 2 games, which makes it weird that they wanna make it exclusive on a platform where most the users weren't even alive and won't give the new game a moments notice.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the trailers scared away the fence sitters.

These overwhelmingly negative PR snafus exterminated the fan base.
I went to go see the trailer because of this post. What's so bad about it? Are people expecting a AAA Yakuza title here somehow? It's the same bad kung-fu-dub Shenmue we know and love, and the visuals look great for what is essentially a B-title with a low budget. Honestly, this is why B-tier gaming has gone extinct. Anything touching a 7/10 or lesser than Last of Us fidelity feels like a death sentence.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I went to go see the trailer because of this post. What's so bad about it? Are people expecting a AAA Yakuza title here somehow? It's the same bad kung-fu-dub Shenmue we know and love, and the visuals look great for what is essentially a B-title with a low budget. Honestly, this is why B-tier gaming has gone extinct. Anything touching a 7/10 or lesser than Last of Us fidelity feels like a death sentence.
Yep gamers have become shallow and expect everything to look like last of us games or dare I say Anthem. Because graphics equal good gameplay

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen lots of comments like this and it infuriates me. Not that I'm mad at you or anyone else feeling so burned by KS that they won't back anything else again, because I can understand that, but rather for Shenmue III poisoning the well like this. I say this because I have been planning a KS campaign for a long time, and reading this stuff makes me realize that Deep Silver's greed here is literally affecting completely unrelated projects. And, potentially, my own bottom line. Fucking greed.

The way to do it is just vow not tto take money from the Epic Store to remove yourself from Steam. I think Firmanent from Cyan only got the backing because they promised not to do that....

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Ok. This is a sad day for gamers and and shenmue. First I want to say that I think it's wrong for fans who waited for 20years to let this destroy their own series they waited forever for. It's not like the game was cancel, I do agree that it was wronged that it switch from steam to epic but I'm tired of gamers picking up pitchforks and changing tone 1 sec. I do belive that you Suzuki was prob tricked into going into epic and prob didn't see the difference from the two so I bet he is confused wit the outcry. To him he prob didn't think he tricked users just that epic store wasn't better, it was prob deep silver that's the one to blame. But hey if we don't get shenmue 4 now I hope the fans are happy when this dies down
I don't think these type of exclusivity deals happen by accident. They must have known what they were doing, and if not incompetence isn't a good look either.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I feel so bad for fans of the series right now. Hope all the things get settled. This is on par with MGSV levels of disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.