• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
They can possibly refund everyone, sell only 10 copies when the game launches and still profit handsomely from EGS's huge stash. It will still, in monetary terms, still outperform lots of small kickstarter Steam games which is kinda sad.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly ridiculous and the most hyperbolic thing I've read in this thread. I understand being pissed it's not coming to Steam but putting this decision on Yu Suzuki and calling him a "scam artist" is insane and laughable.

Are you seriously trying to say that Yu Suzuki has nothing to do with YsNet? How is that even possible?

Ergo Goon

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, this is another awful look for Shenmue III and the last thing the game needs for publicity. I remember back when the kickstarter was going on and there was the controversy over sony's questioned involvement with the project. Fuck this Epic Games Store nonsense. Add my voice to all the other backers that are disappointed.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't see the problem. You're still getting the game. It's not like you have to pay for a sub to use the Epic Shop.

They are being paid to down grade the platform the game is being sold on.

It like going on holiday package advertised as a 5 star hotel but being told your now staying in a 1 star hotel but hay your still getting the holiday and no refunds.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't think Yu Suzuki had anything to do with this. In fact, I think he probably hates this decision, since this scam will destroy the Shenmue brand, and he wanted to do a Shenmue 4.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting them to show gameplay, for one. The game is a few months away from release. So far they've released trailers showcasing really goofy looking NPCs interacting with a poorly animated Ryo, who still doesn't look quite right, in what looks like one slice of town. That's after nearly four years of waiting. I know there's a hands on demo this week, so I'll keep my negativity down until I start hearing some legitimate impressions.

But this whole things been managed very poorly, from the underwhelming Kickstarter marketing to what's occurring today. It doesn't make me feel optimistic the actual game will fare much better, but I again hold out hope Yu Suzuki manages a miracle.
That's understandable, but Ys-net doesn't have the luxury or money to put out polished vertical slices of game to showcase. There's likely global tuning, bug squashing and polish occurring simultaneously across the entire length of the game, with all sections likely in various states of completion. Again, we're spoiled here in the sense that almost all major game releases get multiple gameplay demos and trailers throughout the life of their marketing leading up to launch. But these vertical slice demos again, take small armies to "complete" and show off. That's just something a studio stretching every penny on a game of this scale can't afford. Even for a low-budget game like this, it takes a long ass time to make. 4 years is long to us gamers, but the average (low end) production time for devs.

Were they to show you direct feed gameplay before this moment, it would likely be nitpicked to death by the eagle eyed "fans" on forums like these for not living up to the polished retail copies of Shenmue 1 and 2. I'd rather they not bow to the pressure of putting out work too early only to get shit on by fans for an incomplete game looking... well, incomplete.

We know what the gameplay is. Brawling. Talking. Walking. Looking. There's no need to fall into despair, and no grand mystery of what a Shenmue title today will play like. Be reasonable, and stop holding Shenmue 3 to the standards that only AAA studios with massive teams and budgets can afford.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Got a response from my Kickstarter message, skimmed the last few pages and didn't see it:
vsRGAQ5.png

I can't tell if they poked the bear or this will blow over due to E3.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how people will look back at Sony "winning" E3 2015 now. The Last Gaudian was quickly forgotten. Shenmue II sounds like a disaster. FF7...?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yu Suzuki was the one asking for money. If you're asking for money then you better deliver what you promised.
Yes.
This game only exists because of us, the fans.
And to suddenly turn on your heel and spit in the face of people that made this game possible is flat out disgusting.
Is there anyone here on Era working for the media willing to cover this?
To refuse people a refund on an as yet unfinished product must be breaking some sort of law, surely?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the gaming media has been eviscerating Shenmue III for literally years about "not being upfront" with additional funding, but once it has come out that Epic has evidentally paid at the 11th hour to remove the game from the most popular storefront in the market, they start pussyfooting around with "nobody knows how many are angry in the first place"?

Fucking double standard.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't game on PC much these days but, people would rather not play the game because it's not on steam? What's the difference with that and EGS?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Yu Suzuki had anything to do with this. In fact, I think he probably hates this decision, since this scam will destroy the Shenmue brand, and he wanted to do a Shenmue 4.
Lol. He has everything to do with it. When you open a kickstarter you should accept that your duty is first and foremost to your backers before you do any and all additional deals.

Or I guess you don't give a fuck and take all the money and say screw you backers. Thanks dumbasses for funding me towards better deals xD. Tbf that is entirely possible and there won't be repercussion beyond less people funding a sequel which might not even be needed with that nice epic money.

Oct 25, 2017
because it's literally not as simple as switching launchers. I'm willing to bet this is why the delay in the first place, they have to actually strip out steam features now. Steam, the technology, deeply integrates into games.
How is this possible when many steam games are sold on other services/launchers. This implies the opposite problem where if you build a game for the Steam storefront, it's a massive pain for devs to deploy on other platforms due to removing Steam tech.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Step 1: Start a kickstarter for a 3rd game in a beloved franchise, talk about how it'll be a game funded by the fans, made for the fans, first and foremost, on Steam.

Step 2: Get all the funding you need from fans who want a new Shenmue 3 on Steam and PS4.

Step 3: Take $$$ from Epic in exchange for going back on your promises to fans. Cancel the steam release, tell the fans they don't get a refund.

That's theft by swindling.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So the gaming media has been eviscerating Shenmue III for literally years about "not being upfront" with additional funding, but once it has come out that Epic has evidentally paid at the 11th hour to remove the game from the most popular storefront in the market, they start pussyfooting around with "nobody knows how many are angry in the first place"?

Fucking double standard.
It's not double standard, many of these guys are partnered to promote EGS. I saw it at kinda funny games where they were open about it. I would't be surprised if they werent the only ones. Kind of disgusting honestly

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
Fuck Epic.
Fuck Deep Silver.
Fuck Ys and Yu Suzuki.

Never getting anything from them ever again. Bunch of scam artists. The video game industry would be better off without any of them. Fuck em.
Sucks, but lol at reactions like this.

I've had no reason to install EGS before now, but fuck it... It's just a launcher for a single player game. I understand they sort of promised Steam, but is it really that big a deal?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Lol. He has everything to do with it. When you open a kickstarter you should accept that your duty is first and foremost to your backers before you do any and all additional deals.

Or I guess you don't give a fuck and take all the money and say screw you backers. Thanks dumbasses for funding me towards better deals xD.
Isn't this a Deep Silver decision? Deep Silver is the publisher, they made this scam. Sure, if Yu Suzuki signed a contract that allowed Deep Silver to do this shit, it's his fault, but that doesn't make him a scammer, he just fucked up.

It's possible Yu Suzuki wanted this exclusivity, but I doubt it.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a Deep Silver decision? Deep Silver is the publisher, they made this scam. Sure, if Yu Suzuki signed a contract that allowed Deep Silver to do this shit, it's his fault, but that doesn't make him a scammer, he just fucked up.

It's possible Yu Suzuki wanted this exclusivity, but I doubt it.
I imagine he signed off on it, but I doubt he (or any of the dev team) is up to date on the nuances of egs vs steam

The response posted a few pages ago reads like "what's the problem, it's just a storefront?" They have no idea, and the publisher (who does have an idea) dgaf

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
This strikes me as an extreme reaction to using a different icon on my desktop

Oct 30, 2017
The damage is clearly done. I don't think they can do anything to calm the masses. Really unfortunate. It fucking sucks as a very hardcore Shenmue fan and admirer of the developer. I'm distressed to be honest. :(

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I kickstarted Shenmue III to the tune of $500 and I absolutely refuse to play this game if it remains EGS exclusive, yes.
I understand the EGS hatred, and I agree with it too. But I don't really get how a Shenmue fan would, at the end of the day, give up the opportunity to play the game just because of this. I would've played it on the Ouya if that had been where it was.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'll install EGS if I need to, but I hope they didn't plan to also crowdfund Shenmue IV when the time for it comes. The way this was handled lost them a lot of good will. Letting backers have Steam codes was the minimum they needed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.