• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a Deep Silver decision? Deep Silver is the publisher, they made this scam. Sure, if Yu Suzuki signed a contract that allowed Deep Silver to do this shit, it's his fault, but that doesn't make him a scammer, he just fucked up.

It's possible Yu Suzuki wanted this exclusivity, but I doubt it.
Yu chose his business partners and was ok with handing over control that would let them dictate to say fuck the backers how is that absolving him from responsibility? but ok...

Any dev that would care for some form of integrity would only enter such a relationship when they could guarantee that their backers won't get screwed over and make sure arrangements are made to keep it so, like at the very least they should have negotiated for honoring all the backers with a steam key.

But hey shenmue backers are small change you don't matter that's basically the message.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring Staff Post
Because there is more to the matter than simply just getting the game!
Which is what ?

Brand loyalty ?
I'm about to give you the best advice ever

Run awayyyyyyy
Why ? am i doing something wrong, am i about to be put on the naughty step again ?
Yu Suzuki was the one asking for money. If you're asking for money then you better deliver what you promised.
He isn't. You're still getting a copy of the game.
They are being paid to down grade the platform the game is being sold on.
The only thing i can see as a downgrade is controller support, and as a friend pointed out Linux. Too.

Other than that. I honestly don't see the downgrade.
It like going on holiday package advertised as a 5 star hotel but being told your now staying in a 1 star hotel but hay your still getting the holiday and no refunds.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. TBH. Sorry.
People would be mad if they asked a GOG key and got a steam one instead
Apples and oranges, as GOG is drm free. While both Steam and EGS aren't, unfortunately.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Sucks, but lol at reactions like this.

I've had no reason to install EGS before now, but fuck it... It's just a launcher for a single player game. I understand they sort of promised Steam, but is it really that big a deal?

This is an almost 40 page thread and there have been countless other threads, so yes this clearly is that big of a deal

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Firts not coming to xbox and now this, Yu Suzuki coming across like an asshole

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound over the top but it's how i honestly feel. This sucks.
Maybe a little!

I mean this is not ideal. In a perfect world it would be available on all platforms, no strings attached. But The game is still being made, and is still available on other hardware. More than that, it looks incredibly faithful to the tone and atmosphere of the original games, something that no game has really recaptured since the old days. I would really caution against a game switching launchers on the PC actually depressing you, and looking instead at the bigger picture; Shenmue 3 is real, exists, and is coming out soon to be playable in your very own hands! Because trust me, as a fan of Megaman Legends knowing I'll never get a sequel to the now 19-year cliffhanger to my favorite gaming series in the world, it could be so, so much worse.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is what ?

Brand loyalty ?

Why ? am i doing something wrong, am i about to be put on the naughty step again ?

The only thing i can see as a downgrade is controller support, and as a friend pointed out Linux. Too.

Apples and oranges, as GOG is drm free. While both Steam and EGS aren't, unfortunately.

But other than that. I honestly don't see the problem
honestly fuck off, it's easy to see the issues but your trying to pretend that all is well and good with egs. They fucked backers for no reason.
Maybe a little!

I mean this is not ideal. In a perfect world it would be available on all platforms, no strings attached. But The game is still being made, and is still available on other hardware. More than that, it looks incredibly faithful to the tone and atmosphere of the original games, something that no game has really recaptured since the old days. I would really caution against a game switching launchers on the PC actually depressing you, and looking instead at the bigger picture; Shenmue 3 is real, exists, and is coming out soon to be playable in your very own hands! Because trust me, as a fan of Megaman Legends knowing I'll never get a sequel to the now 19-year cliffhanger to my favorite gaming series in the world, it could be so, so much worse.
they are already screwing with their biggest fans by backstabbing them with this decision. This is a bad decision and will be looked at as a major fuck up in the future.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But I don't really get how a Shenmue fan would, at the end of the day, give up the opportunity to play the game just because of this.

• Not every fan would necessarily love the thing their a fan of (Shenmue) more than hate another thing (Epic store)
  • On principle for breaking promise
  • Making a monetary deal that is too late to help with development of the game (and therefore going toward their own pocket to fund something other than shenmue 3) while being told they NEED fans to back it might rub some wrong way
  • First proper gameplay trailer looking rough as hell and using the broken Steam promise as a way to get their money back

Off the top of my head

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Which is what ?

Brand loyalty ?

Sometimes I wonder if you people are deliberately feigning ignorance, want to rile up people who are already angry or just want to close your eyes and don't learn why EGS is an inferior product and why people are pissed off.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got a response from my Kickstarter message, skimmed the last few pages and didn't see it:
vsRGAQ5.png
This is all kinds of fucked up. How can anyone defend this.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually gonna back this game since I owned the originals on the Dreamcast and absolutely loved them. Unfortunately, they were out of the keys that I wanted and I just kinda forgot about it. Fast forwarding to now, my laziness seems to have paid off. I'd be pissed if I backed this one (on PC) and I'd do everything in my power to get a refund. This shit is getting out of control.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Not really. You are saying a unqiue feature of the store is important(GOGs DRM free stance). Many people think Steam has unique features that are important to them over EpicGamesStore as well as general principal which is also an argumentn for DRM free.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
No, but it's a predictable reaction to being told you're not getting the exact thing you paid for and that you can't get a refund.

That's the most damning thing to me. This is the second time Deep Silver's been involved with this exact thing in just a few months, and it's clear they just don't give a fuck what their customers think or want. It's a straight-up "Fuck you" from them.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not implied, that is literally what happens. You see this with GoG galaxy releases, too.
Isn't that bad though? People are mad at EGS for making the game exclusive, but isn't steam indirectly doing the same thing by tethering their games so tightly with steam tech unless devs put in the massive effort to unbind it from the store, which not all games can afford to do?

Also note, I don't game on PC, I'm just trying to understand the landscape is all.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Boy, Sweeney really knows how to capture the goodwill of his core audience, damn.

Why go after kickstarted games coming to steam. Those people are invested in the product and platform. For fucks sake.

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly ridiculous and the most hyperbolic thing I've read in this thread. I understand being pissed it's not coming to Steam but putting this decision on Yu Suzuki and calling him a "scam artist" is insane and laughable.

Yu Suzuki may not have made the decision, but he must have signed off on it at somepoint. And he's absolutely responsible for his own company refusing to refund the people who he suckered out of their money with fake promises.

He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when he's taking people's money and running.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Is Shenmue III a single player only game? Is there much difference between EGS and Steam when it comes to offline games?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Just not on the platform that was promised.
Official Staff Communication
Shenmue III backers were offered Steam keys in their backer surveys and the fundraiser concluded before the Epic Games Store even existed. There is no reason to argue that backers were not promised a Steam release with part of their pledge. We are not interested in entertaining the conversation to the contrary, so please drop this line of discussion.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
You guys really believe the developer made this decision and not the shady company that's publishing the game, the same company that's done this with a couple other of their big games? You should really reconsider slandering Yu Suzuki.

Whether or not Yu Suzuki personally made this particular decision, no-one forced Ys Net to sign on with Deep Silver, and no-one forced them to sign a contract giving Deep Silver the power to force a change in platforms. That's assuming that this is even the case; Ys Net may have had to approve the change.

Ys Net is Yu Suzuki's studio and Ys Net's name and logo are the ones plastered on that email refusing a refund.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Boy, Sweeney really knows how to capture the goodwill of his core audience, damn.

Why go after kickstarted games coming to steam. Those people are invested in the product and platform. For fucks sake.

Because there's demonstrated fan interest in those games and a guaranteed audience

It's more of a sure bet than just grabbing whatever tbh

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Isn't that bad though? People are mad at EGS for making the game exclusive, but isn't steam indirectly doing the same thing by tethering their games so tightly with steam tech unless devs put in the massive effort to unbind it from the store, which not all games can afford to do?

Also note, I don't game on PC, I'm just trying to understand the landscape is all.
All Steamworks features are opt-in, including the DRM. The only reason anyone would spend a lot of time stripping Steam features from a game would be because they chose to put them there in the first place.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Does a Shenmue III Steam forum already exist so we can at least go there for the inevitable trouble shooting and mods that fix all the shit broken with the game?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Love the logic with how Suzuki has no responsibility. Didn't know it was so easy to scam people out of their money. Just sign with a company that does the deeds. You don't even need to scapegoat yourself people will do it for you. No responsibility at all xD

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
honestly fuck off, it's easy to see the issues but your trying to pretend that all is well and good with egs. They fucked backers for no reason.
they are already screwing with their biggest fans by backstabbing them with this decision. This is a bad decision and will be looked at as a major fuck up in the future.

It's also easy to see that people are taking this way too personally. EGS isn't Steam, I get it. It's not just another launcher, I get that too. But at the end of the day you can play the game on the same platform, yet people all over this site make it seem like a game went from being on Xbox to going only to PlayStation.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Which is what ?

Brand loyalty ?

well there's no helping some people I guess

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Because there's demonstrated fan interest in those games and a guaranteed audience

It's more of a sure bet than just grabbing whatever tbh

Sure, but it's also guaranteed to raise the biggest shitstorm (and lets be honest, outside of the Kickstarter this is probably not going to do enormous numbers when the reviews come out).

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

Do you I have to drag out the list of missing feature on Epic it all over this thread.

Really, I though it was being very genrous comparing EGS to a 1 star hotel, after all the last time I stayed at a 1 start hotel not only could I purchase more than 5 items at one without being banned from making any more purchases I could do it in one credit card transaction (Which checking the road map on Epic is still over 6 months away)

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Reported for Fraud on Kickstarter Support as well just now.

Also responded to that bullshit "no refunds" response i got with probably the most angry message i have ever sent to some corporate entity.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

people use "steam tech" because using preexisting libraries is literally how all software development is done, gaming or otherwise. There is not a single product on the planet that does not use tech like this. They use "steam tech" because it's free and useful and makes their product better. "Steam Tech" for example arose from a decades long problem of dependency hell. When the informed start railing against "steam tech," they don't even know that they're begging for software development to go back to the mind boggling problems of 20 years ago. This is like bitching that something is "xinput exclusive." Using standardized, free, open source technologies is a good thing.

When companies strip "steam tech" from their games like this, it's not at the benefit of consumers. Usually, there is no existing replacement tech, so they either leave huge holes in their product (like lack of achievements or leader boards) or they build poor replacements, wasting resources on reinventing the wheel that could have been used on more pressing issues.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Yu Suzuki confirmed a grifting asshole. Fuck him, fuck Ys Net, fuck Deep Silver. Bankrolling videogames on the backs of fans and then throwing them under the bus for deals needs to stop and consumers need to not stand for it or support it anymore through Kickstarter campaigns.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is Shenmue III a single player only game? Is there much difference between EGS and Steam when it comes to offline games?

For starters, no cloud saves and achievements. Then there's the issue of maybe being able to play on Linux through Proton, and the social features (which I use, although I could understand if other people don't care about them). Achievements, controller support through Steam Input too (all of that is the stuff you lose when you move from Steam to EGS).

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
The damage is clearly done. I don't think they can do anything to calm the masses. Really unfortunate. It fucking sucks as a very hardcore Shenmue fan and admirer of the developer. I'm distressed to be honest. :(

yep...the whole thing is fucked.

personally I am unaffected because I'm going with PS4. but I can understand why PC players are upset.

failing to uphold Steam keys is wrong as this was the premise of support for a lot of PC players during the KS.
the YsNet response is lacking.
the negative PR that is now spreading because of the decision can't be undone.

again, I'm still getting Shenmue 3, but it's a little bitter sweet now. and of course I'm worried about the future of the franchise given how bad a vibe this is giving to potential new players - considering existing hardcore fans are trying to cancel their KS pledges.

Status
Not open for further replies.