• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
And there was me thinking that the reaction to Bloodstained's "backer-only" DLC becoming generally available was bad!

I'm not a backer, but this is definitely not a good look. This being Kickstarter, clearly and refund demands aren't going to go anywhere anyway, but looking over the campaign page now, it seems that they've quite studiously avoided any reference to any particular PC distribution platform. I see that they did indeed reference Steam in the backer survey choices, but I'd imagine that that would be viewed as less of a true commitment than if it were in the campaign.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I never said this was about regional pricing. Control is literally not available in China.
I apologize, I read regional and thought of pricing right away. You're right, games not actually being available in certain regions is a big problem and one of the major ones with the EGS.
what's the exact percentage of customers where screwing them over goes from "doesn't matter not very many people" to "not okay" in your opinion?
I don't have an exact number, obviously, but the Linux argument is very often exaggerated. Gaming on Linux has it's own slew of issues, and again this is assuming EGS doesn't support it in the future. Hell, according to this link, the Linux market share is only around 2%, not a negligible number, but also not high enough overtake other more pressing matters, like games locked out of regions, or lack of cloud saves.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If the backers paid for Steam then it should be Steam or refund for them since they consider the Epic Store worse than Steam for their own reasons.
And this should be respected.
And yes if we compare Steam to EGS it IS worse in almost all aspects.
I agree that refunds should be happening for those that want it. It's ridiculous that it isn't.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there was me thinking that the reaction to Bloodstained's "backer-only" DLC becoming generally available was bad!

I'm not a backer, but this is definitely not a good look. This being Kickstarter, clearly and refund demands aren't going to go anywhere anyway, but looking over the campaign page now, it seems that they've quite studiously avoided any reference to any particular PC distribution platform. I see that they did indeed reference Steam in the backer survey choices, but I'd imagine that that would be viewed as less of a true commitment than if it were in the campaign.

I just did a search through my emails. They began mentioning Steam WHILE the campaign was still running on kickstarter. They mention steam for the very first time on June 28th:

System Requirements for PC Version

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB

Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

That was taken from my email sent by them while the campaign was still going on. The campaign ended July 17th. So, WHILE the kickstarter campaign was still running, WHILE they were still taking orders on Kickstarter, they had already begun advertising the Steam copy.

This is obviously horseshit.

Also worth pointing out, since that email, literally every single other backer update email they have sent out has mentioned Steam in it. Every. Single. One.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Got a response from my Kickstarter message, skimmed the last few pages and didn't see it:
vsRGAQ5.png

Wowza, that's just bonkers. What an evil way to destroy fan faith in a product, especially after the passionate backers were responsible for the game making it this far at all.

Damn. Just ..... damn.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Didn't that fuckface Tim Sweeney say he wasn't gonna repeat a case like Metro Exodus. What a dick

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I just did a search through my emails. They began mentioning Steam WHILE the campaign was still running on kickstarter. They mention steam for the very first time on June 28th:

That was taken from my email sent by them while the campaign was still going on. The campaign ended July 17th. So, WHILE the kickstarter campaign was still running, WHILE they were still taking orders on Kickstarter, they had already begun advertising the Steam copy.

Ah, I see - that does change things a bit, though I bet that they could point to that "system requirements may change without notice" note is they wanted to.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not looking to defend the decision or the motivations behind it)

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If Nvidia got in trouble for advertising 4GB of memory, and they did deliver 4GB of memory, just not as expected.

In that email they are clearly admitting they intentionally changed the platform the game will be delivered on and it's not the one they promised when they took the money. That seems bad.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely disgraceful. Really feel for those that backed this expecting a steam key and got landed with this and the response to this is terrible.

This type of behavior further highlights the issues with Kickstarters and the fact that this Kickstarter got so much publicity being on the Sony E3 stage all those years ago meant that people who likely never kickstarted before, bought into the kickstarter for the first time and quite a few of those people will likely not back again. This type of behaviour of going against the fans who backed you initially, only to get greedy down the track and take money from other publishers/distributors on the provision of breaking some of the promises made during the kickstarter process is terrible.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to bed last night expecting Shenmue III to be announced for the Xbox One today, feeling happy that I could tell one of my friends who played Shenmue I on the DC and Shenmue II on the xbox way back in the day who only has an Xbox One that he could pick up shenmue III now, being generally happy that it was coming to more platforms.

Instead, when I logged on today, I get the news that I have to tell another one of my friends, who actually backed the fucking game, that it's no longer coming to any platform he currently has access to. What a complete fuck up.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of backlash will kill this game on PC. Whether you are ok with EGS or not. Throwing away long term success for a quick buck up front

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This kind of backlash will kill this game on PC. Whether you are ok with EGS or not. Throwing away long term success for a quick buck up front

Bingo. So all the backers supported the development of this game, only to have them sign a deal with Epic and renege on their promise for holla holla them dollars and limiting where you can buy it. Fuck that.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Feeling pretty good that I backed Bloodstained instead of this.
They double dipped.

They got all the money from the fans to make the game.

Now they take Epics money and tell the fans to deal with it.

Yikes man.
Sony and Deep Silver provided funding beyond the Kickstarter campaign too, so it's a quadruple dip.

I don't really mind if Kickstarted games go after additional funding, but screwing over backers sucks and it's a bit hard to believe they need it when they already have support from some pretty major companies and the game is pretty close to release anyway.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I don't see an article on PC Gamer about this massive announcement that occurred during the E3 conference they host.

Man, PC Gamer Tweeted that they didn't even know whether the game would be a full EGS exclusive or just on EGS. The show may have had their name on it but they clearly weren't calling shots for what gets announced at their event.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the KS page, this announcement has more posts than any other update in the last 4 years. And it's ratio'd to hell, 1000+ posts to just 70 likes.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I just did a search through my emails. They began mentioning Steam WHILE the campaign was still running on kickstarter. They mention steam for the very first time on June 28th.

Also worth pointing out, since that email, literally every single other backer update email they have sent out has mentioned Steam in it. Every. Single. One.
This thread is getting a bit long, so I'm not sure this has been corrected, but you should check the year on those emails. The Steam information didn't actually appear until June 28th... 2018.

I'm not really pleased by today's events either, but they didn't advertise it as a Steam activated game while the Kickstarter was still actually running. You know me, and we've never argued to my knowledge, but I'm just setting the record straight here.

They did however advertise it as a Steam activated game while the Slacker Backer was in its final few months though.

Deleted member 7156

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely disappointing news.

I backed the game expecting to be given a Steam version of the game, so I expect my order to not be changed without my agreement.
If the order is change I expect them to offer a full refund.

The fact that they're seemingly refusing to give refunds is absolutely despicable.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I just got a reply from them from early. This is what it says.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.

Shenmue III will be distributed through the Epic Games Store and will require the Epic Games Store Client to activate.
Even though the surveys stated that the PC version rewards will be through Steam, those rewards will now be be delivered through the Epic Games Store.

We apologize for the sudden change in platform, however, refunds will not be granted for this change.

We thank you for your support and look forward to delivering the Shenmue experience fans everywhere have been waiting so long for.

Best Regards,
The Shenmue III Team

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I haven't been saying it's just another launcher... Literally in my very first post here I said that it wasn't.
What I'm saying is that people are taking the news a tad too personally, and hell I just had to fight off the absurd notion that going from Steam to EGS is as bad or worse than a game going from Xbox to PS4.
No they're not.

They've been waiting for long ass time for the sequel, and they're the reason why it exist in the first place.

This industry already has a bad rap for anti consumer policies. There's zero reason why anyone should put up with it, and should take it personally, cause it's their hard earned dollars.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Yeah when I backed this it literally said Steam. The Survey says steam. If I try to change the survey answer, I can choose Steam or PS4. The system requirements say steam.

I'm fucking PISSED.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalization.
What Yu Suzuki and Deep Silver did for Shenmu III is one of the most galling, outrageous and greedy move the gaming industry has ever seen. Do check the history :
  • They rode Sony's E3, gaining a publicity most kickstarter and indies can only dream about
  • They had a massive Kickstarter success and secured a publisher
  • They promised Steam keys and even sent a poll to that effect a while ago
Kickstarter is based on an ideal and goodwill, they wouldn't exist without those. It shows their true character when they then take the most cynical and toxic choice possible with exclusivity on a fucking open platform. They turned their backs on the people who supported them and they did so without a shred of remorse or hesitation given the tone of their recent communication. To paraphrase it :

"No, you don't get refunds. This is how it is. Fuck you."

I don't know if it's a Japanese idea to sound so unapologetic and authoritarian when you are so much in the wrong but it's not going to do wonders for them.

Has the press said anything yet about this or the impact Epic has on kickstarter which is, you know, the seedbed of most indies, gaming innovation and triumphs since 2012?

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a backer of this campaign nor a Shenmue fan, so I wasn't planning on getting this game anyway.

But those of you going "It's just a launcher" or "It's playable on PC anyways" are overlooking the fact that a good many of us find the EGS policies on buying up exclusives detestable.

I would not want to give any company who did things I didn't agree with money, nor would I want to install that launcher. I've installed plenty of other launchers, GoG, Origin, UPlay, Battle.net. I have no problems with extra icons or my library being in different places. What I have a problem with is Epic's bullshit buying of exclusives and would not want to support them in any way whatsoever.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone that backed this (and Phoenix Point) pretty hard, I feel like an idiot. Fuck Deep Silver, fuck Epic, and fuck Ys Net.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.
I wonder in what way the EGS is a better distribution platform? Better download speeds? Better matchmaking? Better customer support? Better $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kickstarted a game last week, I'm confident that they'll never do EGS, but I can never trust anyone again. I don't think I'll ever use a kickstarter for a game again after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.