• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wowza, that's just bonkers. What an evil way to destroy fan faith in a product, especially after the passionate backers were responsible for the game making it this far at all.

Damn. Just ..... damn.
I just got a reply from them from early. This is what it says.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.

Shenmue III will be distributed through the Epic Games Store and will require the Epic Games Store Client to activate.
Even though the surveys stated that the PC version rewards will be through Steam, those rewards will now be be delivered through the Epic Games Store.

We apologize for the sudden change in platform, however, refunds will not be granted for this change.

We thank you for your support and look forward to delivering the Shenmue experience fans everywhere have been waiting so long for.

Best Regards,
The Shenmue III Team
Seriously, what the fuck. There are orders with a steam key of the game, how is that legal?
Holy shit I'm enraged and I haven't even backed this shit, but how the fuck you can telll your customer to fuck off with a straight face? That's disgusting

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point chargebacks are justified. Enough chargebacks and Kickstarter will be inconvienced enough to do something. Sucks a bit because this isn't Kickstarter's fault, but it's on them to prevent something like this happening in the future.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing that these exclusivity deals only seem to exclude Steam rather than being real exclusives to EGS, it's so easy for me to wait for all these exclusives to hit Windows Store/Game Pass.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
What Yu Suzuki and Deep Silver did for Shenmu III is one of the most galling, outrageous and greedy move the gaming industry has ever seen. Do check the history :
  • They rode Sony's E3, gaining a publicity most kickstarter and indies can only dream about
  • They had a massive Kickstarter success and secured a publisher
  • They promised Steam keys and even sent a poll to that effect a while ago
Kickstarter is based on an ideal and goodwill, they wouldn't exist without those. It shows their true character when they then take the most cynical and toxic choice possible with exclusivity on a fucking open platform. They turned their backs on the people who supported them and they did so without a shred of remorse or hesitation given the tone of their recent communication. To paraphrase it :

"No, you don't get refunds. This is how it is. Fuck you."

I don't know if it's a Japanese idea to sound so unapologetic and authoritarian when you are so much in the wrong but it's not going to do wonders for them.

Has the press said anything yet about this or the impact Epic has on kickstarter which is, you know, the seedbed of most indies, gaming innovation and triumphs since 2012?

I feel you, but two counter-points:

1. I can kinda sorta sympathize with the greed, to a degree. Game's being made on a relatively paltry budget, and the sad reality is that it's probably gonna sell very poorly. The vast majority of the people who'd buy this probably already did via kickstarter.

2. The "toxic exclusivity" angle you touch on seems like a stretch to me... like yeah sure, PC's an open platform. But Steam isn't, and that's where it was exclusively headed before they changed to Epic. If it were GOG-bound where it'd be DRM free and you could download and play it without a launcher, then I'd agree.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this was headed to GOG as an exclusive, I think there would be some complaints, but not this level of outrage. The outrage is because EGS is just a horrible experience, and insecure.

GOG is generally seen as an honest service. EGS isn't.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got a reply from them from early. This is what it says.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you very much for contacting us.

The launch was previously planned for distribution on Steam, however it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option.

Shenmue III will be distributed through the Epic Games Store and will require the Epic Games Store Client to activate.
Even though the surveys stated that the PC version rewards will be through Steam, those rewards will now be be delivered through the Epic Games Store.

We apologize for the sudden change in platform, however, refunds will not be granted for this change.

We thank you for your support and look forward to delivering the Shenmue experience fans everywhere have been waiting so long for.

Best Regards,
The Shenmue III Team

I hate the fact that this is happening with Shenmue 3 of all games. Fuck.

How play Cedric in all of this

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling, ignoring staff post
I find this funny. I love these meltdowns.

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarter people - I originally picked the PS4 version when I chose which version I wanted, but now I prefer PC. There any way to change it?

I'd be willing to trade also lol

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this is the single biggest drama bomb that no one could have predicted. Holy shit lol. The only thing crazier would be Bloodborne 2 being epic exclusive.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To give so little regard to promises made to thousands of fans that literally bankrolled your game... It's just insulting. Everyone involved in this deal is awful.

Oct 30, 2017
Straight up denying refunds. That can't be legal.

No fucking refunds. What'll happen if I contact my bank and tell them they're not giving me the product I bought and I want a them to reverse the charge? Can they reverse one from that ducking long ago? This is super ducking shitty. I don't want a fucking Epic key. I wasn't promised a shit fucking epic key.

Oct 25, 2017
To give so little regard to promises made to thousands of fans that literally bankrolled your game... It's just insulting. Everyone involved in this deal is awful.

Yeah, this is why I can't get behind the people who want to shield Suzuki from this just because Deep Silver made the ultimate decision. He's the one whose treating his supporters like garbage.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Epic has really poisoned the Kickstarter well huh?

All these exclusives just made me think how I will probably never kickstart a game again thanks to Epic. You just can't trust that the games will actually come to the promised platforms thanks to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Epic has really poisoned the Kickstarter well huh?

All these exclusives just made me think how I will probably never kickstart a game again thanks to Epic. You just can't trust that the games will actually come to the promised platforms thanks to them.

Yeah, same for me. I've probably backed more than 15 games between Kickstarter and Fig. It's going to be really difficult for me to ever touch another one after this.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring modpost, derail
the great communal howl over the epic games store is needless. harden your hearts ya'll. I'm not trolling here; just giving my (admittedly cynical) opinion. in business dealings as in life, you should expect to get fucked.

XodiousBlack

Aug 16, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring modpost and context of discussion
I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but why is everyone so upset (console gamer). I know it's not on steam but is that why people are so upset? Again,very genuine question looking for a honest answer

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this was headed to GOG as an exclusive, I think there would be some complaints, but not this level of outrage. The outrage is because EGS is just a horrible experience, and insecure.

GOG is generally seen as an honest service. EGS isn't.
No, there would be just as many complaints and outrage. Why it is wrong to admit some of us just want the option for Steam because that is where most of our digital game library is? I just want to buy my shit on Steam.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Luckily I chose ps4 when I backed
Game doesn't look too hot but I only backed the minimum to get the game which I think was 40 dollars? Not a terrible deal imo

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Shenmue 3 is being released, and don't regret taking a gamble on the kickstarter for a sequel to one of my favourites games, but disappointed that they made a bad PR move that will make people further question their transparency. Hope you can fix this Yu.

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt be surprised if a lawsuit is made now. Wouldnt make a difference. Would take a long time to go thru, but publishers like this need to understand what they are doing

Also. ALL of this could be solved by living up to your original promise and provide a simple Steam key to those that bought it

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but why is everyone so upset (console gamer). I know it's not on steam but is that why people are so upset? Again,very genuine question looking for a honest answer

Here is a nice PDF written by people on this very forum that will satisfy your curiosity:

Steam doesn't pay publishers to refrain from putting their games elsewhere. Also, many steam games are drm free. I'm not sure how much more open you can be aside from giving the game away for free.

Valve not only doesn't pay for exclusives, but they also get everyone uses their tools free of charge, like the SteamInput API.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
2. The "toxic exclusivity" angle you touch on seems like a stretch to me... like yeah sure, PC's an open platform. But Steam isn't, and that's where it was exclusively headed before they changed to Epic. If it were GOG-bound where it'd be DRM free and you could download and play it without a launcher, then I'd agree.
find me anyone who would care if it was coming to epic games store or any store at all in addition to steam

people don't cheer for steam exclusivity

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I figured Kickstarter wouldn't really want to get involved here

Loathe as peeps are to admit it, it's kinda hard to explain to peeps that this isn't a particularly fair solution or turn of events

Shit I had to drag my feet into Amazon customer service hell just to get a refund on an XBox code last night, and that one didn't even work

Here is a nice PDF written by people on this very forum that will satisfy your curiosity:

That deadass is the worst URL I've ever seen and I went to COCAINEMOUNTAIN.COM once

I'd rather dropkick my father than read a PDF outside of a work scenario too

Status
Not open for further replies.