• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"To start, we are going to be more proactive in tracking down any remaining winners via email and in-game messaging. Still haven't received payment? Below is a step-by-step guide on the payment process."

how are they so amateur hour in literally everything they do
a lot of their decision making seems to be super rushed. problems like this will always arise when you don't plan ahead and JUST DO IT. they probably don't have the personal / work instructions for a lot of this stuff ready yet. its "full steam ahead, we will figure everything out later" - mode

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed that it is a timed exclusive, per the FAQ. But that means jack shit for backers, our copy is permanently an Epic Store copy even if it's gonna be sold on Steam later. Ugh.

At this point I'd take an option to get a Steam copy a year after launch, instead of getting the Epic version at launch.
So it's confirmed to be timed? Then I'm with you. I would wait too

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If they're thinking that III isn't going to make them money, why would they fund Shenmue 4?

I'm saying it's as good a bet as any. Shenmue 4 wont need a Kickstarter, between the hard # of backers and level of engagement with fans they can sell a sequel to a publisher. Deep Silver has already invested resources into the series (and other, much lesser series) so I have little doubt S4 will be greenlit as long as 3's launch isnt a disaster, review-wise. Again, DS is probably not going to make much money on S3 since most of the fans are already paid up

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying it's as good a bet as any. Shenmue 4 wont need a Kickstarter, between the hard # of backers and level of engagement with fans they can sell a sequel to a publisher. Deep Silver has already invested resources into the series (and other, much lesser series) so I have little doubt S4 will be greenlit as long as 3's launch isnt a disaster, review-wise. Again, DS is probably not going to make much money on S3 since most of the fans are already paid up

There's about 70k-80k backers all in all. Deep Silver obviously except to sell at the very least 10 times that amount so they were going to make a good amount of money either way.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I think its too early to think about Shenmue 4, Ys Net & DP fucked it up big time and i dont really think the game will be a success sales wise.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a link to the FAQ that explicitly states that it's coming to Steam? Why not just give KS backers that option ffs?

Oh, it's because it is a rushed decision and literally nothing was thought through? Oh, quelle surprise.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
So if they will eventually put it on Steam, why not just generate a few codes now for backers? It's what a few thousand? Least they could do.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
So if they will eventually put it on Steam, why not just generate a few codes now for backers? It's what a few thousand? Least they could do.
it's especially odd considering the Metro Exodus situation was the first of these big controversies and that did give those that preordered their steam keys. I don't see why all these kickstarters can't pull the same.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed that it is a timed exclusive, per the FAQ. But that means jack shit for backers, our copy is permanently an Epic Store copy even if it's gonna be sold on Steam later. Ugh.

At this point I'd take an option to get a Steam copy a year after launch, instead of getting the Epic version at launch.

Sorry, what FAQ is this?
And maybe (wishful thinking I admit) Steam keys could come later down the road to backers like with Phoenix Point.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
you don't get a sequel if your game doesn't sell

yes let's put it on the epic games store that great platform that everyone buys games from

whoever made this deal might have killed the franchise for a second time

Confirmed coming to Steam later

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sorry, what FAQ is this?
And maybe (wishful thinking I admit) Steam keys could come later down the road to backers like with Phoenix Point.
Click on FAQ
at2vAxv.png

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
it's especially odd considering the Metro Exodus situation was the first of these big controversies and that did give those that preordered their steam keys. I don't see why all these kickstarters can't pull the same.
Metro Exodus didn't gave Steam keys for pre-orders. They honored pre-purchases made directly through Steam, just like Anno 1800, while third-party stores either allowed refunds or provided the EGS version. Don't know why Deep Silver doesn't generate keys to hand to backers though.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Metro Exodus didn't gave keys. They honored pre-purchases made directly through Steam, just like Anno 1800. Don't know why Deep Silver doesn't generate keys to hand to backers though.
They did give Steam keys. Humble Store and Razer Store orders gave Steam keys. Only these sites tho, since these were authorised resellers. Sites like cdkeys and such did end up giving Epic keys.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Tim Sweeney told everyone MS would keep patching Windows 10 until it made Steam a buggy mess no one will use, did he just got bored of waiting and decided to try and buy out the competition instead? Also remember in that interview he said that MS new view on being open was all just PR? Isn't a Windows OS a requirement of the Epic Store but not a requirement of Steam?

Tim Sweeney sure is something...

I hope you guys get something form this mess, the whole thing is unreal*.

*EDIT: That was not an intentional pun...

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that this game is successfull enough so SEGA would motivate to develop the 4th game in house with the ryu ga gotoku studio or something.

I dont want to see Shenmue without a conclusion again

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Apparently the exclusivity was going to be permanent but became timed because of the backlash? Like that's gonna fix the issue. Even if the exclusivity is timed, my "Physical Steam Disc" I ordered is now permanently a "Physical Epic Games Store Disc".

The only acceptable solution here is to find a way to give backers of the PC version a Steam code for both digital and physical orders.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
My credit card issuer isn't going to do a charge back for something that late unfortunately. I will send a few more emails to Ys.net and certainly will join a lawsuit if someone bothers, but otherwise I guess I am going to chuck it as a loss.

Fuck ys.net and Deep Silver. Done with both. That I am disappointed in this development doesn't even start to describe how I feel.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Apparently the exclusivity was going to be permanent but became timed because of the backlash? Like that's gonna fix the issue. Even if the exclusivity is timed, my "Physical Steam Disc" I ordered is now permanently a "Physical Epic Games Store Disc".

The only acceptable solution here is to find a way to give backers of the PC version a Steam code for both digital and physical orders.

Yes, the only acceptable route is a refund or promised Steam key. Although my pledge had Steam EA/beta for the game as well so I guess that's gone too.

Actually I think I am bummed out enough I just want a refund at this point. No excitement for the game anymore. Meh.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
I just changed my selected platform on the Fangamer survey... from Steam to PlayStation 4. I'd think it was funny that the PC platform is still displayed as "Steam" if this situation wasn't so annoying.

I hope the backlash against this accomplishes something but it's doubtful. Lesson learned: don't kickstart/pre-order!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I just changed my selected platform on the Fangamer survey... from Steam to PlayStation 4. I'd think it was funny that the PC platform is still displayed as "Steam" if this situation wasn't so annoying.

I hope the backlash against this accomplishes something but it's doubtful. Lesson learned: don't kickstart/pre-order!
Folks should really ask for a refund or demand a Steam key. You can always ask for PS4 copy in a month or two as the game isn't releasing in November. More pressure on them would do good vs caving and going to PS4.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Folks should really ask for a refund or demand a Steam key. You can always ask for PS4 copy in a month or two as the game isn't releasing in November. More pressure on them would do good vs caving and going to PS4.
A PS4 copy will be easier for me to give away to someone else who might actually use it though.

At this point I'm just trying to undercut a sale out of spite because I have no expectation of getting a refund.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
If it's timed exclusivity, then is not possible to wait until they put it in steam to get the steam key?
I really don't have any rush to play the game, so I can wait a year.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'll ask again: Where's our trial? If they're just polishing things up and it's basically finished, there should be a beta kicking around for those of us that backed it.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If it's timed exclusivity, then is not possible to wait until they put it in steam to get the steam key?
I really don't have any rush to play the game, so I can wait a year.
If they give me an option to wait a year and get a Steam physical copy instead of an Epic one I'll "gladly" take that option.

Oct 30, 2017
The game certainly isn't getting a sequel if the reception to the trailers and visuals is anything to go by. Hopefully it gets some glowing gameplay impressions this week, otherwise I'm definitely in the no way there's gonna be a Shenmue 4 camp. They burned up any good will they might have had this week.

This has been a disaster since 2015, though. Let's face it. From that first Twitch debacle handled by Awesome Japan to the consistently pointless and lackluster updates, nothing has gone right.

I've waited 18 years for Shenmue 3 and I'm starting to understand why Sega could never pull the trigger.

Perhaps Yu Suzuki should've lowered his ambition and tried delivering a game that fits his budget rather than chasing what made the original games so unique. I don't know. Something just didn't translate. They had the perfect exposure and momentum from that 2015 E3 announcement and record breaking Kickstarter and couldn't do anything but get in their own way since.

Yeah, I'm bummed out.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, the hype of the past years seems to be crashing hard.

I never cared for the franchise even at the time but this sequel years after with the same old character models wasn't inspiring confidence to begin with when they launched the kickstarter and this new shitshow with the EGS is the cherry on top.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
How can one company be consistently scummy and shit and then be propped up by apathy by a big portion of the community?

Hope this gets a class action lawsuit.

Oct 30, 2017
Well, the hype of the past years seems to be crashing hard.

I never cared for the franchise even at the time but this sequel years after with the same old character models wasn't inspiring confidence to begin with when they launched the kickstarter and this new shitshow with the EGS is the cherry on top.
They're a few months away from release and Ryo still looks weird. His head is small, his face looks like it's covered in make-up, his features are too sharp, etc. Then there are those horrifying NPCs who seem like they're on marionette strings.

I was starting to feel good after the last Magic Monaco trailer and the Edge article, but this weeks been brutal. I'm hoping the demo they've got at the show is at least decent... I'm not sure I can take another round of horrible news.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

This is exactly what happened with Phoenix Point (although they at least had the decency to allow refunds)

Oct 30, 2017
There was an article or interview with Nagoshi recently where he said Sega begged him to stop Yu Suzuki from adding things to Shenmue because it felt like the game would never come out. I think he needed a Nagoshi on his new team. Instead, he hooked up with a European publisher with an increasingly terrible reputation and countless financial backers we don't know the identity of. Then he made a deal with the Deio (Epic).

This is a saga in its own right. Who wants to make the Yu Suzuki Story RPG?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Tainting a game that could only be made with passionate fan support with scumbaggery. Punishing loyalty and dedication. I just cant get over how painfully scummy this is

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
By buying all the exclusives.

I never got into any discussions about EGS before this, but that never made sense to me.

Many of us have been trying to understand the same thing. Never got a straight answer why buying up third party exclusives is good for the consumer. Closest we ever get is that it will eventually be good for consumers... cause .. reasons. Reasons never really articulated other than reagonomics.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in the absence of any other information right now I'm switching mine to PS4.

Maybe I'll play it on PS4, maybe I won't, but I will not support Epic.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't have a dog in this fight and I don't have strong feelings about EGS, but even if the KS campaign didn't explicitly mention Steam, people who backed for "PC" had a reasonable expectation of a Steam release. "PC" has been shorthand for Steam for years. DS may not have specifically promised Steam, but it's tone deaf and a bit disenguous to not recognize or admi that backers had a reason to believe they would be getting a Steam key.

Status
Not open for further replies.