• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These games were already well known or had pretty big marketing budgets behind them.

The steam frontpage showcases things that are already big hitters, I'm talking about all the other games that we don't know about. Even if you look at "popular new releases" the vast majority of it is either from a big publisher, was shown at E3, or was supported through Xbox Game Pass.

Anyway my tolerance for snark and dog piling is hitting the limit so I'll let you guys get back to it.
Here is where I somewhat agree. Around a year ago, Valve made a pretty big algorithm change. Since then front page contents seem to have become much more conservative. The good in this being less trash gets to the front page. The bad being that a lot of smaller devs get less eyes on their game. Although they still get quite a lot, relatively.

There's no real way of having both within the framework of what Steam already has. What I would like to see is their current system, but with an extension of their highlight lists to include something similar to what steam250.com already provides.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These games were already well known or had pretty big marketing budgets behind them.

The steam frontpage showcases things that are already big hitters, I'm talking about all the other games that we don't know about. Even if you look at "popular new releases" the vast majority of it is either from a big publisher, was shown at E3, or was supported through Xbox Game Pass.

Anyway my tolerance for snark and dog piling is hitting the limit so I'll let you guys get back to it.

So you're arguments is that good games are being lost because too many games are coming out?

How is that any different from any other media ever?

And how would preventing games (with potential good games as well) from being on Steam would solve that?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Let's stop with that out of topic curation talk wih this please :
https://galyonk.in/steam-in-2017-129c0e6be260 Sergey Galyonkin ( Epic game store / steam spy ) GDC 2017.

1560333007-gross.png

Counting medians and averages is starting to lose its meaning, so I checked top 500, top 1000 and top 2000 games on Steam instead. In all of the brackets there is a slight year-over-year decline, but it's insignificant, really — from 3% to 7%. It could both be attributed to players buying PUBG or any of the new small titles.
Steam Top 2 fucking thousand was pretty much unaffected by the increasing number on game released on steam ( for comparison in 2015, 2,964 games were released on steam ).

Numbers don't lie.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
So I have gotten the news of this and I just gotta wonder if this is deep silver screwing over the devs or if the devs got in touch with epic.

These developments seem so bizarre to do with all the logistics involved.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Why did Epic spend so money on a game that is gonna receive a huge backlash for them and sell like shit?

Epics goal doesn't seem to be Customer goodwill. More like their first and foremost Strategy seems to be too fuck over Steam.

Another point could be that they are desperate for Exclusives regardless of potential userbase or quality and not many devs (contrary to our beliefs) are willing to take that money. The majority of the exclusives are from a tiny amount of Publishers there is no big breadth of Publishers going into bed with Epic.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Isn't Steam flooding their storefront with unabashed trash, completely flushing away any chance that a legitimate good indie game can be noticed without significant marketing? My point being is that Steam also damages the industry, in some ways in a worse way than the EGS.

Just the last 3 months alone we had several Indie games without marketing that sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

The "good Indie game" in your scenario wouldn't even make it on curated storefronts in the first place. Certainly not on EGS.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I honestly think that so much of what Epic does with regards to the store can be boiled down to "Fuck Steam". And as long as publishers get cash and still see a Steam release for their game in 6 months or a year, they'll continue to be used by Epic in such a way.

Yup, I've felt that way about Epic for a while now. Though I think it's also turning into a "fuck the detractors" thing too. I honestly believe that Sweeny has been looking for a way to hit all of the anti-Epic folks hard because he's sore that so many of us haven't fallen for his BS. This is as much about Steam as it is about getting back at the people who refuse to use the Epic Games Store for whatever reason.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I am pretty pro EGS but this is a shitty move from all involved

Give the backers what they paid for (steam keys) or offer no questions asked 100% refunds.

And epic really need to stop fucking with late stage kickstarter games. They are literally going to kill that entire scene.
Why would someone be "Pro EGS"?

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I'm about to change my pledge to be a PS4 copy, when I realized with my high pledge the amount of backer-specific in-game rewards I get. An arcane technique scroll, an advanced technique scroll, 20 capsule toy tickets, a phone card used to call friends and family back home from the original game, an a jacket change option. All backer-only rewards. I don't know how codes for these items will be handled, if they are platform specific then getting a PS4 copy will lock them there, but will those backer rewards only be on Epic Game Store now? I know backer rewards have been offered later via DLC for other games, but at the moment if I don't get an option to wait for a Steam release getting the Steam version later will result if less bonuses in that copy. I may just switch to a PS4 copy and play it there.

In terms of physical goods I'm still getting a t-shirt, a signed illustration, an art book, a capsule toy, a soundtrack CD, and so on.

Also it seems like unlike other kickstarters I have done, getting a physical version doesn't get you a digital one too. For instance, I had been playing a digital copy of Pillars of Eternity for months before getting the box and a DVD. That I never used because I just wanted the box.

EDIT: Changed to PS4. The survey still just says Steam lol

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Steam flooding their storefront with unabashed trash, completely flushing away any chance that a legitimate good indie game can be noticed without significant marketing? My point being is that Steam also damages the industry, in some ways in a worse way than the EGS.

I also have a question to people in this thread, do you think you'd be just as angry if Ys decided to forego the Steam Store and sell this game off their own website as a DRM free direct download?

First the problem is Steam flooding their storefront with unabashed trash, and now the problem is Steam are showcasing heavy hitters.
What a troll.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Companies like Epic Games exists to begin with because of the open nature of the PC market. Epic Mega Games was once thought of as a small guy, someone who couldn't get a developer's license to work on Nintendo and Sega consoles. They began by making MS Dos games that weren't sold in conventional stores, because conventional stores wouldn't stock their games. It's only because a completely open, uncurated market was allowed to exist, that they exist. Curation is deeply antithetical to the PC gaming landscape. Open access to consumers has always, since the early 80's, been a corner stone of the platform. One of my heroes, Lord British, began his gaming empire by mailing disks out in zip lock baggies from down the street where I grew up.

Locking down the Epic Game Store to just a select few special entities is hypocritical.
I knew this, but it only just clicked that the head of this company locking down software came from the "wild west" days of computing where anyone could release anything.

PS. You lived near where Richard Garriott used to live? Very cool.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this, but it only just clicked that the head of this company locking down software came from the "wild west" days of computing where anyone could release anything.

PS. You lived near where Richard Garriott used to live? Very cool.

I went to the same highschool as him. He's recognized at the highschool with a plaque, he literally started the Comp Sci program at my highschool. Years later, I would take a class taught by him at the University of Texas.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Speaking of streamers, it's smart to send your keys to streamers who actually highlight games worth playing, instead of ones who spend their time reading the thesaurus passage for "shit" and complaining about how everything is buried under garbage.

Yep, that's what I am saying for years. Search for (several) niche Influencers with a niche focus and you won't miss the gems of your niche. Big Streamers/Youtubers/Curators are not ideal to get gaming recommendations or find good games that are tailored to your Interest.

I love watching big variety Streamers like Gronkh and CohhCarnage but I ignore their game recommendations.
More niche Influencers like Quill18 or Skye Storm are a hundred times better for finding gems.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Epic securing exclusivity for Shenmue 3 is nothing more than them paying for wave of different set of consumers that they already have (and that are mostly not willing to play anything but Fortnite). So Shenmue 3 backers are numbers to them. And some people don't want to be part of that.
Ok thank you for the clarification - I haven't been following the storefront news too closely

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
I advocated for that early in the thread -- if you only paid $30 for a digital key, then yeah you can still sell it and make a decent profit. I was speaking to someone that spent $175 on Shenmue 3 though. At that point you can't really get out, and you might as well enjoy the game as much as your conscience will let you.....especially if the franchise means that much to you.

Please do not do this. As a backer of $500 tier, I can tell you that this is corporate shilling to the highest degree and I am deeply insulted you have reduced us to go by the way of mindless consumers when we - yes - the Shenmue fans are able to look at the bigger picture in the gaming industry. It as amazing how people can lack general compassion to users without even looking at the context of the situation.

By posting this statement, you have advocated for all the worse aspects of gaming fanboyism that has spread throughout the PS3/360 era. You have championed predatory corporatism that is will screw us backers who are already anxious of a game that may or may not be able to release based on recent Kickstarter failures. To add more fuel to this fire, it is almost as if you inherently enjoy seeing passionate gamers who want the to play their hobby in the best possible condition to the point of forking over cash that could buy you an XBoneX - only to have a legal loophole to bypass our goodwill and strong-arm us into playing it in a condition so far from an already excellent platform for YEARS!

How people enjoy seeing regressive aspects in the game industry boggles me. I bought a PC to enjoy multiplats and play them in the best scenario, so why should I be denied playing Shenmue 3 on Steam - a platform that can allow even an old game like Thief the benefit of a controller support (A PS4 one mind you) without experimenting with a lot of 3rd party technologies that may or may not have some questionable malware involved? I did NOT choose the PS4 version for this particular reason. Any bugs, enhancements and accessibility are far more addressable in the PC then a closed box like a console and Steam culminates all this in one platform.

So the idea that you want us to "enjoy" the game, knowing FULL the PS4 version is the best option at this point to begin just reeks of deceit and gas-lighting. This is the crux "of just another launcher" is: It's about bending to the status quo as long as the "games" are released and be thankful that we are even getting the privilege of playing it. Disgusting!

People like you need take a step back and really, really have some perspective:

- It started as a Kickstarter based on the principle that the PS4 version would be supported by Sony.

- The backers were given a chance to place their money-in-their-mouth for a series known to have high development ambitions. A faith of a magnitude expectation was set to wonder if the game would even be released.

- They were given a choice: PS4 or the PC version. The option later down the line was given for that platform: Steam.

- Deep Silver steps in and gave a false impression that the game is in good hands.

- To the hope of fans - and to the determent of detractors - the game was expected to be released on August 2019.

- Nearing the end of the development - the game was mysteriously delayed to November 2019. An expected development considering multiple games does this.

but then...

- we were to discover at E3 of all fucking places that the game would be exclusive to EGS!

- Deep Silver published a tone-deaf statement of how it is "best" played on EGS despite not letting us backers any say on the matter - nor explaining why that would be the case.

So in essence: The BULK of the development was under the backers (according to public records) and should have the BIGGEST say on the matter, is now under the mercy at some arbitration using OUR FUNDING as a negotiating end? How in the bloody world is this even fucking legal? I can only imagine the doors kickstarter funding can safeguard predatory tactics if this was even allowed for the largest funded kickstarter.

We MUST have the option to get OUR refend if Deep Silver is making up for the difference then it is agreed that kickstarter money was never needed in the first place on TOP of the EGS benefits they provide.

GOD DAMN I'M SO PISSED OFF WRITING THIS!

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
And epic really need to stop fucking with late stage kickstarter games. They are literally going to kill that entire scene.

They pretty much have now. This is going to come up in every comment section for any high profile kickstarter now. That devs that are already in the "fuck you, got mine" position, and publishers, don't care about that, that's expected. But that gaming sites like RPS and Kotaku can't see such things, but instead are writing dumb articles like "stop worrying about exclusive deals" articles is so very weak.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think deep silver scummyness isn't going to get away with this

They aren't just dealing with the fans abroad(they could ignore), but with several firms ie fangamer girl and yu.net. Explaining themselves is going to be very awkward to each of these and they'll get too much restraint to not give in at some point.

It's on deep silver imo. They took over the project knowing it was kickstarted with backers and agreements. Them acting oblivious is nothing short of disgusting.
They pretty much have now. This is going to come up in every comment section for any high profile kickstarter now. That devs that are already in the "fuck you, got mine" position, and publishers, don't care about that, that's expected. But that gaming sites like RPS and Kotaku can't see such things, but instead are writing dumb articles like "stop worrying about exclusive deals" articles is so very weak.
Kickstarter is dead after this fuckery from epic and deep silver. Without a doubt

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a video by a longtime shenmue fan (although he is getting the PS4 version)

Edit: I timestamped the heart of his point, but he gives a bit of background on stuff in the first half of the video.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Because they're allowed to have an opinion.
I would love to have options! I mean, if Epic would let devs generate keys for 0 cost like Valve so that I could buy EGS games without giving profit to Epic, or if I could choose to buy the games from either Epic or Steam that would be pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind if Epic decided to go the curated route for those who for some reason prefer that, if I could choose not to support them.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
First the problem is Steam flooding their storefront with unabashed trash, and now the problem is Steam are showcasing heavy hitters.
What a troll.
It's as if, as if, the actual issue is that there are too many good games, old and new. You can't be a big fish in a little pond anymore in the Steam market.

Huh. People not actually having the time to check out every new release, what a problem.
No other media has ever faced that before, I'm sure.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
It's as if, as if, the actual issue is that there are too many good games, old and new. You can't be a big fish in a little pond anymore in the Steam market.

Huh. People not actually having the time to check out every new release, what a problem.
No other media has ever faced that before, I'm sure.
Yeah, I'm sure if you manually browse the full list of new releases you're bound to find some garbage, but at the same time how many people actively and manually browse the full list of new releases instead of just buying shit they already know or were suggest by someone / the discovery algorythms?

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
We, the backers, funded the game. It is despicable now that the game is completed, they are pushing us backers aside in favor of another company's paid exclusivity.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017

I also have a question to people in this thread, do you think you'd be just as angry if Ys decided to forego the Steam Store and sell this game off their own website as a DRM free direct download?
1. Have you heard of Risk of Rain 2, which blew up with barely any marketing whatsoever. Supraland? Does anything on this list have amazing marketing besides Mortal Kombat.
2. Devs already do that through itch.io and literally no one has a problem

Nice strawmen

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But now the game is engulfed in a perfect storm of negativity. Reviewers have been sharpening their knives over this game for literally years - we all know it's going to have a bad Metascore. But it might've survived if the community came out to promote the series with the passion and positivity they've always had. Now they've also driven a ginormous wedge in that community between those who don't care about the deal and those who are angry or disappointed about it. Epic Game Store has proven that once again, regardless of the fanbase, all the talk around their exclusives becomes unremittingly negative. Not even the Shenmue community could withstand it.
The poor position of Shenmue critically and commercially liked sparked this decision. Shenmue 1&2 HD is pegged at between 20-50K on SteamSpy. Deep Silver looks at this and assumes Shenmue 3 will likely sell even less (since a lot of those people who bought the HD collection already backed Shenmue 3). It only makes sense to take it to Epic Game Store, where they will be guaranteed some nominal sales volume. As much as people thought a modernization of the old games was important, the poor response to it might have had a bad effect on the prospects of a proper sequel.

Part of the problem with letting a big publisher come in and run a Kickstarter project is that they're only going to see backers as lost potential sales. To them backers are just kind of an annoying obligation, and they really have no interest in making a sequel to a game that can't clear 50K copies. They are going to be pretty cold and pragmatic about it.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Part of the problem with letting a big publisher come in and run a Kickstarter project is that they're only going to see backers as lost potential sales. To them backers are just kind of an annoying obligation, and they really have no interest in making a sequel to a game that can't clear 50K copies. They are going to be pretty cold and pragmatic about it.
Which is why I think the most practical response a backer can do is give away their copy for cheap or for free just to deny them a sale from a new customer. It's not much, but it's pretty much all I can do, so I'm doing it.

I don't appreciate being used like this, and I am actively rooting for this game to fail now.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Please do not do this. As a backer of $500 tier, I can tell you that this is corporate shilling to the highest degree and I am deeply insulted you have reduced us to go by the way of mindless consumers when we - yes - the Shenmue fans are able to look at the bigger picture in the gaming industry. It as amazing how people can lack general compassion to users without even looking at the context of the situation.

By posting this statement, you have advocated for all the worse aspects of gaming fanboyism that has spread throughout the PS3/360 era. You have championed predatory corporatism that is will screw us backers who are already anxious of a game that may or may not be able to release based on recent Kickstarter failures. To add more fuel to this fire, it is almost as if you inherently enjoy seeing passionate gamers who want the to play their hobby in the best possible condition to the point of forking over cash that could buy you an XBoneX - only to have a legal loophole to bypass our goodwill and strong-arm us into playing it in a condition so far from an already excellent platform for YEARS!

How people enjoy seeing regressive aspects in the game industry boggles me. I bought a PC to enjoy multiplats and play them in the best scenario, so why should I be denied playing Shenmue 3 on Steam - a platform that can allow even an old game like Thief the benefit of a controller support (A PS4 one mind you) without experimenting with a lot of 3rd party technologies that may or may not have some questionable malware involved? I did NOT choose the PS4 version for this particular reason. Any bugs, enhancements and accessibility are far more addressable in the PC then a closed box like a console and Steam culminates all this in one platform.

So the idea that you want us to "enjoy" the game, knowing FULL the PS4 version is the best option at this point to begin just reeks of deceit and gas-lighting. This is the crux "of just another launcher" is: It's about bending to the status quo as long as the "games" are released and be thankful that we are even getting the privilege of playing it. Disgusting!

- It started as a Kickstarter based on the principle that the PS4 version would be supported by Sony.

- The backers were given a chance to place their money-in-their-mouth for a series known to have high development ambitions. A faith of a magnitude expectation was set to wonder if the game would even be released.

- They were given a choice: PS4 or the PC version. The option later down the line was given for that platform: Steam.

- Deep Silver steps in and gave a false impression that the game is in good hands.

- To the hope of fans - and to the determent of detractors - the game was expected to be released on August 2019.

- Nearing the end of the development - the game was mysteriously delayed to November 2019. An expected development considering multiple games does this.

but then...

- we were to discover at E3 of all fucking places that the game would be exclusive to EGS!

- Deep Silver published a tone-deaf statement of how it is "best" played on EGS despite not letting us backers any say on the matter - nor explaining why that would be the case.

So in essence: The BULK of the development was under the backers (according to public records) and should have the BIGGEST say on the matter, is now under the mercy at some arbitration using OUR FUNDING as a negotiating end? How in the bloody world is this even fucking legal? I can only imagine the doors kickstarter funding can safeguard predatory tactics if this was even allowed for the largest funded kickstarter.

We MUST have the option to get OUR refend if Deep Silver is making up for the difference then it is agreed that kickstarter money was never needed in the first place on TOP of the EGS benefits they provide.

We need this as the first post.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not shilling so much as it is being pragmatic about the matter. If someone has already bought the game for some extravagant amount, (s)he might as well play it. Refusing to use the product doesn't really burn Epic or Deep Silver.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
We, the backers, funded the game. It is despicable now that the game is completed, they are pushing us backers aside in favor of another company's paid exclusivity.
They chose to sell backers/users to EGS which is what Epic wants the most out of all of this. Why they thought this game of all games had a lucrative bounty in that regard idk. Just throwing money around without any thought but for the end goal and wrecking consumer confidence with KS at the same time.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not shilling so much as it is being pragmatic about the matter. If someone has already bought the game for some extravagant amount, (s)he might as well play it. Refusing to use the product doesn't really burn Epic or Deep Silver.

You are missing the point.
We don't want the product in this format. We want the money back.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time a developer/publisher has refused refunds after going EGS exclusive?

I remember another developer who was also crowdfunded offering refunds?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about the money. It's all about sending a message. Backing the KS was my message that I want Shenmue III. Somehow, Ys Net translate that as backers are fools that can be sold to Epic for cash.

They need the message, I think.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

but then...

Trying to go to sleep and then I read this. What the actual fuck! Now I'm just as pissed as you. Fucking deep silver maggots. Fuck this whole situation. I backed the $300 tier and I'm so fucking conflicted. This is a great post though.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are missing the point.
We don't want the product in this format. We want the money back.

You have every right to.

This is fucking bullshit, and further proves that Kickstarter is just a way to crowdfund money... They don't have to deliver on *any* of the promises they make when they're starting a campaign.

That needs to change moving forward, or I will not participate in any Kickstarter campaigns moving forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
WRONG

many discovery lists on steam are automatically populated using machine learning. They literally don't have to be discovered or get big at all to enter those lists. Case in point, my front page of steam is pretty consistently full of completely unknown VR games, because I've made it known to Steam that I actively hunt for and play VR games, and they have learned to suggest them to me even if they're not popular with other people. That's because I've literally trained Steam on my interests, that's what actually a major component of Steam's discovery system.

Jim Sterling literally trained his discovery queue to purposefully show him awful asset flips, because he keeps going out and buying them and looking for them. They're serving him what his behavior demonstrates he is looking for.

not here to defend EGS, but fwiw, this does not even remotely align with my experience. my discovery queue is consistently full of awful-looking shovelware and games with tags I told it to ignore

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I'm just going to say the reason for wanting a refund SHOULD NOT MATTER. If something has not been released yet, and a customer requests a refund, they should be given a refund. If you go to a store and purchase something, realize it's not what you expected, and take it back for a refund, the store would not deny you that refund, especially if the item hasn't been opened. Why is it any different here?

Status
Not open for further replies.