• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The love for the first two entries... but this monstrosities of trailer and preview material.

WideeyedNegativeBinturong-size_restricted.gif

This should've happened 10 years ago... while looking and feeling the same.
I know you're free to your opinion, but to be honest I just find this trolling. No real substance in the post, a vague gif and a comment that sounds passive aggressive to people who loved the first two. People have been making comments like this with all the footage and I understand why some of the dodgy work-in-progress screenshots got a wild response, Ryo and Shenhua's models have come a long away, but it genuinely looks nice now, with a few criticisms.

Oct 30, 2017
I think the graphics look very pleasant overall in this trailer, even though the characters don't have the life in their eyes that Naughty Dog can do incredibly, it's still colourful, clean and looks like it has personality. Always found it very obnoxious in earlier threads when people were complaining a budget game looks crap compared to the big blockbusters, for better or worse, it's better to be judged for what it is, it's a fool's errand to judge the graphics against those other games.
It looks perfectly fine to me. The game made $7million on Kickstarter and looked pretty rough for a while. They've made strides and packed the game with a lot of content. It's Shenmue, but without the amazing visuals a $50+million budget would've bought them. If anyone waited 18 years but wants to turn down Shenmue 3 because it's not a big budget spectacle, then I feel sorry for them. It's never happening. Believe me, I wish Yu Suzuki could get another blank check; he is a true pioneer and genius and I'd love to see what he can do, but sometimes these limitations also lead to new innovations...

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
FYI; the game looks brighter, sharper, and more vibrant IRL.

These are some screens I took at 1080p from the PC backer trial, which is a little bit behind the 1.02 launch build which includes some further visual improvements:

shenmue3-win64-shippiclkpe.png

shenmue3-win64-shippi0pj4g.png

shenmue3-win64-shippiihkpi.png

shenmue3-win64-shippippkno.png

Punching above it's weight for a game on this scale. Especially when you consider that in all likelihood the development budget wouldn't have been much over $10 million.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It still seems surreal that the 18 year wait will be over in only a handful of days.
It's been a four year wait for me, I gave up waiting after Shenmue 2 flopped on XBOX in 2002, I thought it was over then. I always said Shenmue 3 would be a dream announcement and this persistent thought among fans helped encourage Yu Suzuki to find a way. I don't have high hopes for Shenmue 4 because this felt like a miracle, but I hope 3 finds a way to give the series closure like Lan Di gets captured (temporarily at least until they do 4)

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
It's been a four year wait for me, I gave up waiting after Shenmue 2 flopped on XBOX in 2002, I thought it was over then. I always said Shenmue 3 would be a dream announcement and this persistent thought among fans helped encourage Yu Suzuki to find a way. I don't have high hopes for Shenmue 4 because this felt like a miracle, but I hope 3 finds a way to give the series closure like Lan Di gets captured (temporarily at least until they do 4)

Even though I always thought it was nearly impossible, I never gave up hope that number three would happen one day. Over the years I've gone through phases of not thinking about it, but every now and then I would glance across my collection, and see my copies of Shenmue and Shenmue II on the Dreamcast, and I'd think "Maybe one day."

It's a really odd feeling, especially after watching this launch trailer and hearing the Shenmue theme. It's somewhat emotional, if you know what I mean?

I fully expect the game to tank with the critics (although impressions from the demo seemed rather positive), but I don't care. It looks like the game I've wanted to play all these year. It's just Shenmue, spruced up a bit, and that's all I want. It's going to be like meeting an old friend who I haven't seen in such a long time, but who I can reconnect with immediately.

I hope it sells well enough to encourage a publisher to back a fourth game, because we already know this won't end the story and I don't want to wait nearly 20 years again.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wouldn't be a Shenmue thread without the drive by shit posts from people that don't show up again.

The trailer was great. That music should kick any fan right in the feels.

Really hoping ShopTo send out copies on Friday, they do say on my pre-order it'll be processing on the 15th. If I catch wind that Simplygames or Game Collection are I'll probably order another copy just in the hope it arrives on Saturday.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Is the wooden voice acting on purpose? I loved the original and 2 back in the day had to get EU version on DC with a disc that allowed me to play it but this I don't know how I feel about it.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted, but could not afford, a Dreamcast just to play Shenmue when it came out. And now both games feel really dated to me. I might not finish 2 in time, as I am absorbed by Death Stranding right now, but I will definitely buy this on release.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I think it looks great! Love the bright modern Dreamcast look. I'd happily play more games with this level of visual fidelity and style.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Did anyone else just get, like, 16 e-mails from the Kickstarter promoting the launch trailer?

What the fuck?

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Did anyone else just get, like, 16 e-mails from the Kickstarter promoting the launch trailer?

What the fuck?
Yep - sounds like a lot of us did.

As someone who played both games back in the day, I'm SO FREAKING EXCITED to play this!

That said, I can't image folks new the series are going to have a good time. Impressions are probably going to be all over the place.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Is the wooden voice acting on purpose? I loved the original and 2 back in the day had to get EU version on DC with a disc that allowed me to play it but this I don't know how I feel about it.
Fans were vocal they bring Corey Marshall back even though he isn't good (comes across as a very nice guy though and with fans) I find the other voice actors a massive improvement over 2 and no longer grating. But I'd agree though in 18 years, generally the differences in voice acting performances is astonishing.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Fantastic final trailer. Looks like everything us fans have been wanting for last 18 years.

Can't wait to finallycontinue Ryo's adventure, tomorrow!

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Why is the English VO so bad? Is it to stay true to the originals? The Japanese VO is much better going from these two trailers.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the English VO so bad? Is it to stay true to the originals? The Japanese VO is much better going from these two trailers.
Nah, for example Shenhua sounds like how fans remembered Shenhua but is quite chilled out now which makes a lot of difference, in 2 she sounds like a malfunctioning robot.

I played the Dreamcast one first and was horrified when I got to the XBOX one and heard the dub lol. Just based on the trailer, this is probably the best voice acting in the series (Except Ryo who is the same) but it depends on your standards.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else receive emails, like 10 or more from Kickstarter regrading the trailer? They must have sent so many by mistake.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Game looks straight out of 2002 with prettier graphics, which is fine.

I'm pretty sure she shares the same VA as Dana from Ys VIII. Could be wrong though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks straight out of 2002 with prettier graphics, which is fine.

I'm pretty sure she shares the same VA as Dana from Ys VIII. Could be wrong though.
In 2002 with a time machine I would faint and find these graphics mind blowing, now I find them pleasant enough but it's not really a diss.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
So I've never played through Shenmue 1 & II. I dont know what this game is. I thought it was a Yakuza style game but from what I'm seeing it looks like a fighting game cinematic experience. If this is essentially a very awesome Kung Fu movie that plays like Virtua Fighter then seriously SIGN ME UP NOW. Am i close at all?

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Can't believe it's so close, i keep thinking they're going to delay it again.

I hope the fans are satisfied though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played through Shenmue 1 & II. I dont know what this game is. I thought it was a Yakuza style game but from what I'm seeing it looks like a fighting game cinematic experience. If this is essentially a very awesome Kung Fu movie that plays like Virtua Fighter then seriously SIGN ME UP NOW. Am i close at all?
There are some obvious similarities to Yakuza, but Shenmue is much, much slower and like a life sim at times, the locations in my opinion have a lot more variation. The second game, despite an infamously appalling dub added in the XBOX version, I found to be an often beautiful and contemplative game that is incomparable to other games. I try and not get too hyped in case it doesn't live up to the 'myth' but the setting looks great.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Is there a good story synopsis anywhere for the first two games? I tried playing though I & II but I can't get through the first game. I definitely see what made it important but I can't bring myself to finish it.

Very interested in the third game though and would love to play it. Most of all, I hope it satisfies fans after all this time. You guys definitely deserve a good game.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good story synopsis anywhere for the first two games? I tried playing though I & II but I can't get through the first game. I definitely see what made it important but I can't bring myself to finish it.

Very interested in the third game though and would love to play it. Most of all, I hope it satisfies fans after all this time. You guys definitely deserve a good game.
type shenmue movie in youtube

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Essentially, yes. It's an old style kung fu movie story that plays like a combination life sim/detective game and has VF-style combat. Shenmue 1 has very little combat, though it still has some extremely memorable battles, while 2 is loaded with it and has better pacing overall.

3's combat is, unfortunately, less VF-like, but still fun IMO. It basically now lines up with the life-sim and RPG style elements of the rest of the game, where training is more important than just being awesome at VF.

Dec 7, 2018

A Kung Fu movie that plays like Virtua Fighter is actually an accurate description of the games.

But be warned that Shenmue 1 starts off at a slow pace, the series becomes a full blown martial arts adventure by the last 1/3rd of the first game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

It's a very story experience so I'm not sure I would recommend 3, presumably 3 begins in Guilin right after a cliffhanger. Maybe start 2 with the Japanese subtitles, the game begins in a new country, it still isn't a fast paced game, at least in the first act, but 2 adds multiple dialogue options, maps and time skips which might make it more enjoyable and the rest of the game has much better set pieces than the first. Kowloon is like a long crime action movie. Hong Kong is also like a more open world. If you don't like 2, the series probably isn't for you.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
It's a very story experience so I'm not sure I would recommend 3, maybe start 2 with the Japanese subtitles, it still isn't a fast paced game, at least in the first act, but 2 adds multiple dialogue options, maps and time skips which might make it more enjoyable and the rest of the game has much better set pieces than the first. Hong Kong is also like a more open world. If you don't like 2, the series probably isn't for you.
I don't mind slow games. I love games like Journey, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Firewatch, games that are mostly just walking around and taking in everything. Along with my love for Yakuza I thought for sure I'd click with it. Shenmue just didn't for whatever reason.

I'll give the second game a shot then and go from there.

Dec 7, 2018

These ones are decent enough:

Anyway, Shenmue 3 will include a video that recaps what happened before it.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
In 2002 with a time machine I would faint and find these graphics mind blowing, now I find them pleasant enough but it's not really a diss.
Same.

It's very much a modern game, using a modern engine, using modern rendering techniques. It's just not using photogrammetry, opts for a "comic reality" stylisation that's very close to a lot of the 2D art, and replicates the sharp, crisp look of the originals with a similar vibrant colour palette.

It's evocative of the Dreamcast look, but I have to laugh at some who genuinely think the graphics are "old". If anything it speaks well to UE4's capabilities for modest indie teams that it looks as good as it does, considering the visuals were never Yu Suzuki's priority for this game.

"I've never tried to equal the graphics of triple-A games, never," Suzuki explains. "It's absolutely not the same budget - we don't have the budget of a GTA, or one of those games. Of course, we could have similar graphics, better graphics, but that would take all of the budget we have. We decided not to put too much money on the graphics because we wanted to develop a really deep and fun game. We have enough in terms of graphics, so we have put our money and time into other parts of the game."

Source.

Sorta. It's an action/adventure RPG at heart, but it does a lot of things and pulls in life-sim and detective game elements around its core; and takes place in a highly detailed semi-open world. The story is VERY kung fu movie/wuxia literature inspired, and probably one of the best game series for properly making itself feel like a journey; as there's a very tangible feeling of departure as Ryo travels from his hometown in Yokosuka Japan, to Hong Kong, and into rural Southern China.

The combat in the originals were quite literally Virtua Fighter-lite, and while the system has been rebuilt from the ground up for III; it still carries a lot of fighting game DNA. So if you feel a strong sense of reward learning combos + getting new moves + showcasing twitch reaction for blocking and dodging in combat, you'll probably enjoy the fighting in this one. Especially if you're into RPG progression mechanics too.

The backbone of the game is investigation, exploration, and generally just living in the game world though. If you like drinking in the details of the environment and talking to a slightly eccentric cast of unique NPCs, you'll probably enjoy that stuff too. Generally, progression is pretty open and there are usually more than a few NPCs who will point you towards your next goal, but it's always worthwhile to keep asking around to get to know the characters and their stories. In my experience a lot of off-hand comments from NPCs help bring texture to the world and provide some subtle plot threads away from the main story. It can be slow, but in a good way if you're inclined to get a kick out of these little things.

There are also a lot of side activities dedicated to frivolous pursuits, but generally they all feed back into the gameplay loop of making money/losing money, gambling, buying/selling/trading items & herbs for other items and move scrolls, etc. It is the ultimate game for goofing off from the main story IMO.

These games totally aren't for everybody, but man... if they strike a chord with you there's a good chance they'll become easy favourites. There's a reason why a sizable cult fanbase held a candle for this series for so many years. There's very little actually like it.