• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Is there a good story synopsis anywhere for the first two games? I tried playing though I & II but I can't get through the first game. I definitely see what made it important but I can't bring myself to finish it.

Very interested in the third game though and would love to play it. Most of all, I hope it satisfies fans after all this time. You guys definitely deserve a good game.
Shenmue III has a recap movie of the first two games - I think clocking in at maybe 10-15 minutes?

There's also a telephone mechanic where you can call up characters from the originals for additional flashbacks.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
GOTY!

GOTY!

GOTY!

GOTY!

GOTY!

gl47vNA.jpg

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!!! No other upcoming game in the near future matters. We made it guys!!!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind slow games. I love games like Journey, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, games that are mostly just walking around and taking in everything. Along with my love for Yakuza I thought for sure I'd click with it. Shenmue just didn't for whatever reason.

I'll give the second game a shot then and go from there.
Shenmue 2 also has a lot more optional stuff to do in the open world, jobs, mini games and fighting tournaments. Back in the day I had a lot of fun in Shenmue wasting time looking for moves and triggered by random events, and collection toys, but Shenmue 2 turned it into a playground. You're free to your opinion but I also wouldn't expect Yakuza, which I find is more... an eccentric power fantasy, (although fun) Shenmue makes you obey its pace as Ryo learns loads of lessons, and every so often an amazing set piece. One thing that makes it harder for me to recommend 3, is that a lot of it will be about Ryo's relationship with Shenhua, who is introduced in 2. Shenmue 3 could have begin with you meeting Shenhua but that's not what happened. :) I don't believe a recap video can do it justice, you have to feel on the journey, in my opinion.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see positive previews, even better if the reviews are positive and my experience with the game.

They got some criticism for the epic games controversy and that the kickstarter felt like it could have better communication, which is totally fair criticism, but a lot of the early threads were people trolling just to say the series is overrated when they had no interest in playing it, and repetitive comments about some of the worse of the character models, so again the positive previews are a nice change

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Shenmue 2 also has a lot more optional stuff to do in the open world, jobs, mini games and fighting tournaments. Back in the day I had a lot of fun in Shenmue wasting time looking for moves and triggered by random events, and collection toys, but Shenmue 2 turned it into a playground. You're free to your opinion but I also wouldn't expect Yakuza, which I find is more... an eccentric power fantasy, (although fun) Shenmue makes you obey its pace as Ryo learns loads of lessons, and every so often an amazing set piece. One thing that makes it harder for me to recommend 3, is that a lot of it will be about Ryo's relationship with Shenhua, who is introduced in 2. Shenmue 3 could have begin with you meeting Shenhua but that's not what happened. :) I don't believe a recap video can do it justice, you have to feel on the journey, in my opinion.
All right, I'll give the second game a go. I was going to just do the recaps in 3 but 2 sounds like a solid improvement over the first game.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I need to ask, I played shenmue 1 and 2 with english voices and, I know, they are kinda terrible, but they grown into me.
Should I be swapping for jp on shenmue 3?

I really don't mind the english voices and I wanna feel at home when I start playing it again so it's fine to go english right?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
All right, I'll give the second game a go. I was going to just do the recaps in 3 but 2 sounds like a solid improvement over the first game.
Cool. Shenmue II is genuinely one of the best games that came out in 2001, which as most will know was PACKED with competition that year. You've *probably* got enough time to beat it before III comes out too.

Some tips (trying to be vague with some to avoid spoilers, but I'll tag them anyway):

- Play with the Japanese dub if at all possible, it carries the tone better than in English.

- There is no shame in save-scumming a certain challenging section of the game, we've all done it. The difficulty spike is story-appropriate, but damn, it's tough!

- The game has a climax, and an ending, but they are not the same moment. Once you've hit the climax (you'll know it), save, and take a break instead of charging on through to the ending. This was easier in the Dreamcast version because of where the multiple disks broke up the game. A little breather and some downtime away from the game at this point is very beneficial towards getting engaged in what happens next. It's a very beautiful part of the series, but very different from what came before it.

Enjoy!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I need to ask, I played shenmue 1 and 2 with english voices and, I know, they are kinda terrible, but they grown into me.

I really don't mind the english voices and I wanna feel at home when I start playing it again so it's fine to go english right?
It's up to you but in my opinion the voice acting in 1 was 4/10, the voice acting in 2 is 2/10, and the voice acting in the trailer looks like 6/10 or acceptable 5/10. Whatever you like.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
oh shit... I didn't want to watch it but I did and almost shed a tear T_T . Looks and sounds like Shenmue, and that's a great thing, can't wait.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

It's up to you my dude, but Shenmue III's English dub has much better production values this time around. It was recorded in LA (so more native English speakers touched the project and directed the sessions) and has an actual professional cast; whereas the originals were recorded in Japan with whoever they could get that spoke English for most of the NPCs.*

At the very least, my impression of playing the trial in English is the quality of NPC casting is significantly better and more in-line with a solid but standard game dub - and I would happily play it in English; which is saying a lot considering I am deathly allergic to Shenmue II's English track.

*with occasionally surprising results. The guy who played Iwao in the English dub was pretty good I thought, but he was ex-US army/navy that was a radio DJ in Japan rather than an actor.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Trying my hardest not to watch. Been on a media blackout the past couple months.

I have yet to get my shipping confirmation from Kickstarter so I assume I will not be playing this on release day.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I covered a third of the trailer with my hand haha...I don't know how I feel about them showing that moment with Ryo towards the end...I would've liked to have gone in fresh with that one, but I guess it was inevitable (we've known certain characters have been in the game for a long time), and I'm sure I'll feel it just as hard when it happens in-game.

Interesting to see such a strong focus on Ryo and Shenhua's relationship in the trailer. That was always going to be a big part of the game, of course, but they clearly see it as one of the more marketable aspects.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only got 14 trailer e-mails.
I also got a shipping confirmation yesterday. Hopefully that means I'll be able to dump it before Black Friday. After that the value will tank. Might as well just throw it in the garbage at that point.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost here!! Just a few days and we'll get out of that cave! Amazing launch trailer!

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I LOVED Shenmue 1. Never finished 2. I've got friends that are WAYYYY excited for Shenmue 3..... I just don't see it. Maybe if the reviews are really good I'll give it a look or when it's like $10. Just nothing I've seen look even the least bit interesting and I'm someone who played Shenmue 1 and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I get that they are going for making a modern day dreamcast game with the look and animations but I dunno, I just wanted something more from a Shenmue 3. Glad a lot of people here are getting a thing they have been looking forward to though. Maybe one day I'll get to feel the same way when Half Life 3 is released :D

Oct 27, 2017
They will probably make new games if it sells well. But at least this arc will end, right? Wasn't this the point of the crowdfunding?
Crowdfunding was just to get a new game. I hope most people that backed weren't expecting this to be the ending because there was never any chance of that happening no matter how much money was raised.

Edit: wait you mean like the end of his quest for vengeance before the story goes on to be about something else? Yeah that's possible but I don't know even know what that would be like.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Nah, for example Shenhua sounds like how fans remembered Shenhua but is quite chilled out now which makes a lot of difference, in 2 she sounds like a malfunctioning robot.

I played the Dreamcast one first and was horrified when I got to the XBOX one and heard the dub lol. Just based on the trailer, this is probably the best voice acting in the series (Except Ryo who is the same) but it depends on your standards.

Ah, I was mostly focusing on Ryo. Thanks for the details!

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really disappointed that the backer rewards are not shipping with the game and there is no ETA. I don't even have a tracking number yet and my local mom and pop stores already have the game.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Interesting to see such a strong focus on Ryo and Shenhua's relationship in the trailer. That was always going to be a big part of the game, of course, but they clearly see it as one of the more marketable aspects.
I mean, developing a bond with a single character over the entire course of a game - while not actually being the primary focus of said game - is kind of a cool selling point. At least I think so anyway.

It feels like a counterpoint to other RPGs where you can do something similar, but it isn't spread thinly over multiple characters that you meet at different stages of the story. Shenhua is with you from the start of the game to presumably the end, and apparently a ton of conversation options were recorded.

No idea if there are any actual consequences to those choices (apparently she's less cooperative?), but it's a cool additional feature to Shenmue's roster of gameplay variety.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
I am really disappointed that the backer rewards are not shipping with the game and there is no ETA. I don't even have a tracking number yet and my local mom and pop stores already have the game.
They're supposed to give details on the other backer bonuses when they finally have the shipping update later this week.

As for not getting a tracking number yet, don't worry about it just yet. If you confirmed your address when they sent the email asking that several weeks ago, you're probably fine. They're trying to make sure people get it on time, but not too early. US copies that have tracking numbers already have not been dispatched yet, they're just ready to hand off to the carrier probably Friday.

Zapages

Oct 28, 2017
GT Trailer's reaction still gives me goosebumps.. My first kickstarter that gives me something....

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Maybe if the reviews are really good I'll give it a look or when it's like $10.
There's no way a game like this will end up with a fantastic meta score, if that's what you really care about, because it doesn't attempt to conform to modern standards and conventions. I personally respect that -- there is room for "AA" games with a slower pace and more modest production values -- and I find it hilarious when people say it's "cashing in on nostalgia", as if there's zillions of dollars to be made from people who remember Shenmue. Uh, there wasn't even enough money to get the game made from Shenmue nostalgia alone, and all that money has now been spent. This is a clear labour of love, not a cash grab.

Shenmue isn't for everyone, it never was, and that's fine. As long as reviewers give it a fair shake and try to understand why people are so passionate about this series then everything's good.